PDA

View Full Version : Closing holes.

Azumoth
11-Nov-07, 23:40
I am pretty new to blender, and I was wondering how to do you close holes in a mesh. Example, say I make a square and I delete a face, is there a function which I can click/run which covers all open faces?

agtGreg
12-Nov-07, 00:02
Select the vertices around the hole and press F. Blender will create a face there and cover the hole. Be careful though. Select between 3-4 vertices to cover. You don't want any Fgons on your model.

Mats Halldin
12-Nov-07, 01:24
This might work:
In edit mode/edge select mode, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M to select all non-manifolds (i.e. all holes). Press F and pick Auto from the menu. If it doesn't work, try again with a more simple set of edges. Make sure to evaluate the result carefully. I'm just a newbie, and I think of this tool as rather unpredictable.

Hope it helped
/ Mats

garuhhh
12-Nov-07, 02:16
in edit mode, you can also select the edge of the hole, extrude edges, then scale to 0 (press "s", then "zero"). be careful with this though, it will create lots of triangles if you merge the extruded vertices together.. :)

MrPerlishells
12-Nov-07, 03:43
Those answers seem to be for complex or rounded holes. For simple holes select 3 or 4 edges or vertices. Then press F. This should cover up the hole with a triangle or quad. Only triangles and quads work for any faces.

Azumoth
13-Nov-07, 23:51
Okay, I covered up the holes and all that fun stuff, but I'm still getting a problem with UV mapping over those holes.

If you look at the image below, the parts that I cut out and covered over again by pressing F now UV map the whole map inside the newly added face. Any ideas why?

http://www.battletide.com/Temp/uvissue.jpg

ne_mo
14-Nov-07, 02:52
in edit mode select all and press Ctrl+N
maybe here is the problem - when you work long time delete and making faces the geometry may squeeze...

agtGreg
14-Nov-07, 04:12
Actually those faces you've created have the Blender's default UV layout, simply because you haven't UVed them yet.