PDA

View Full Version : Rigify Auto-rigging system: new and improved

Pages : [1] 2

Cessen
21-Oct-10, 15:51
Hey everyone,

So I've been working on improving the auto-rigging system that we used on Project Durian. Specifically I've been working to make it a lot more user-friendly.

Here are a couple of demo videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgwJWQ9_JE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUSyoO2BmaQ (This demonstrates the easiest workflow.)

At the moment the code is not in Blender svn. It will be eventually, but not yet. I've also changed Rigify to be an addon, however, so you can try it out anyway. You can get the addon via bzr (http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/) here:
bzr://bzr.cessen.com/rigify

Note that it only works with recent builds of blender (e.g. not 2.54)

Also, shameless plug: I'm available for freelance rigging and animation work. ;-)

EDIT:
Apparently bazaar is a bit too tricky for some. Here are zip files of the addon:

Revision 41: rigify_r_41.zip (http://storage.cessen.com/perm_links/2010/blenderartists/rigify_r_41.zip)

Revision 45: rigify_r_45.zip (http://storage.cessen.com/perm_links/2010/blenderartists/rigify_r_45.zip)

UPDATE:
I've committed Rigify to Blender svn now. So the addon should automatically appear in builds from now on. You'll still have to enable the addon, of course.

Future updates will be through blender svn. I won't be maintaining the bazaar repository anymore.

cekuhnen
21-Oct-10, 16:40
buh buh who needs this make rigging easy button anyway ...
power to the artist and not the tools !!!

Great work Cessen - the demo makes the rigging job look
not so time consuming anymore.

On a second note can something like this also be applied
or constructed to 2 or 4 wheelers?

In the movie you show many pre-made bone sets and I am
curious if one could make a library of bones with or without
constraints suitable for mechanical animation.

In particular a strong focus is on the constraints because
with mechanics it sometimes can get complicated to for
beginners to understand how and what they have to do to
simulate a particular movement.

Eclectiel
21-Oct-10, 17:03
Really impressive work, and quite handy.

One thing I notice is that on the video you don't care much about the exact position of the joints, nor the roll of bones, and still works fine. For instance the leg is not straight, bends at the knee to the side.
So, does the script take care of correcting this kind of things and we just place the bones without too much precision?

paulo_gomes
21-Oct-10, 17:10
Awesome !!!!

Cessen
21-Oct-10, 17:12
One thing I notice is that on the video you don't care much about the exact position of the joints, nor the roll of bones, and still works fine. For instance the leg is not straight, bends at the knee to the side.
So, does the script take care of correcting this kind of things and we just place the bones without too much precision?

You have to be as precise as you want the rig to be. I was being lazy. ;-)

For most of the rig types where rotation axis' matter (arms, legs) it rotates on the x-axis of the bone, towards the z-axis. (I actually plan to make this configurable as a rig-type option, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.)

Bizarro
21-Oct-10, 17:17
Woohoo! this looks great. Thanks a lot Nathan.

san
21-Oct-10, 18:21
I am not an animator or rigger, and never have hopes to be, but that were really cool videos! Makes me want to fool around with it, and maybe be able to show something to my diehard Maya rig/anim friends ;) Thanks Nathan!

ikeahloe
21-Oct-10, 19:05
awesome............. *o*

ogbog
21-Oct-10, 19:16
Preettttty cool, although I would have prefered to see more hugs XD

This shizz is deadly. Great work Nathan!

Sago
21-Oct-10, 20:56
Amazing work, Cessen. And very helpful video's. Actually more than helpful, atm they seem necessary to use or understand this properly.

Good luck!

BTolputt
21-Oct-10, 23:31
Doesn't appear to be working using the latest Blender versions (which you say are required). Tried both the OSX & Windows builds from Graphicall. Won't install (complaining about a missing 'utils' module) as an add-on.

Am willing to admit I might have done something wrong here though.

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 03:38
BTolputt:
I haven't tested on either of those platforms... heh. Don't have a mac or windows. So I may have done things in a way that doesn't work on non-linux platforms.

But for the record, the proper way to install it is to take the entire rigify directory and put it in the addons directory:
addons/rigify/<files and subdirectories>

You say it's complaining about a missing "utils" module. Can you check to make sure the utils.py file is in your rigify directory?

r9onaldo
22-Oct-10, 07:52
Wow that was great, I hope it gets integrated in blender soon. Is there any chance that it will be integrated in the next release of blender ?

ristesekuloski
22-Oct-10, 08:22
Could we (please) get the addon some other way? bzr is much too complicated (it needs python etc)

Thanks!

blendman
22-Oct-10, 08:23
Hi Nathan

This a very good and great addon !
Your videos are very promising.

I think for the professionnal animation studio, it will be a very useful feature !

I have tried to use it with windows, i can see it in the addons :

http://blendman.free.fr/blender/2.5/cessen.jpg

but, I can't push "on" the button to add the addon working in blender (the other addons are working, so I d'ont understand why it doesn't working.

Do you think it will be integrated into the trunk, in a next release ? Because it's one of the biggest feature I have seen in the 2.5x (with the cache irradiance/GI feature from Brecht ;-)).

Thank you again.

EDIT :
the error in the console :

http://blendman.free.fr/blender/2.5/cessen2_console.jpg

revolt_randy
22-Oct-10, 08:32
Glad to see progress on this project! I was kind of beginning to think that the rigify system wouldn't receive any further development now that Sintel is finished. I was actually thinking about this the other day and got into snooping around the code, but my python skills are only very basic. (I have managed to script UI controls for rigs, thanks for the reply couple weeks back, btw!)

It is probably too early to be asking this, but will rigify support custom rigs without the user knowing python and hard coding them in? For example, let's say I want to use a different leg design or maybe I want to rig a mechanical backhoe/excavator or want to create a bird's wing design. Even if the custom rigs have to be hard coded in python, will the main rigify script recognize new 'templates' if they are just added to the rigify folder?

I think this would be most useful as then there could possibly be a repository of rigs created for everyone to use. Say someone wants to rig a strechy/squishy ball, they could download a template, drop it in the rigify folder and make use of it.

Can't wait to see where this goes!
Randy

blendman
22-Oct-10, 08:37
It is probably too early to be asking this, but will rigify support custom rigs without the user knowing python and hard coding them in? For example, let's say I want to use a different leg design or maybe I want to rig a mechanical backhoe/excavator or want to create a bird's wing design. Even if the custom rigs have to be hard coded in python, will the main rigify script recognize new 'templates' if they are just added to the rigify folder?

I think this would be most useful as then there could possibly be a repository of rigs created for everyone to use. Say someone wants to rig a strechy/squishy ball, they could download a template, drop it in the rigify folder and make use of it.I think it's a very good idea. :rolleyes:

Bizarro
22-Oct-10, 08:48
I'm on windows too, and experiencing the same problems as Blendman.

Also I agree that this could be a fantastic feature. It's probably the one thing I've been most looking forward to in 2.5.

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 09:10
I haven't tested on either of those platforms... heh. Don't have a mac or windows. So I may have done things in a way that doesn't work on non-linux platforms.
I reckon that might be a little problem given they are the two most popular desktop platforms for us artists ;)

But for the record, the proper way to install it is to take the entire rigify directory and put it in the addons directory: addons/rigify/<files and subdirectories>
I know there are two ways to install an addon. There is the manual method of copying the files into the "scripts/addons/" directory which I tried first and there is the "Install Add-on" function built into Blender. Niether worked and that is with a complete wipe of Blender and it's directories to ensure no cross-contamination between installation attempts.

You say it's complaining about a missing "utils" module. Can you check to make sure the utils.py file is in your rigify directory?
Did that. Checked the files all copied across as the first thing. It seems that you import things slightly differently from the other "modules" in the addons directory. I might play with that tomorrow to see what pans out.

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 15:42
I reckon that might be a little problem given they are the two most popular desktop platforms for us artists ;)

Nah, that's what testing like this is for. ;-)

I've made some minor changes to how I import things. If you could update and give it another try I'd appreciate it. :-)

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 16:33
Updated... and while I'm able to select the add-on now, no samples show up in the templates list (meaning I cannot test anything else).

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 16:57
BTolputt:
Could you update again and send me the console output when you enable the addon?

EDIT:
Whoops, I messed up with the debug lines. If you tried before I made this edit, do it again.

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 17:16
Edit: Ignore this - will give it another try

Creating the rig in the standard 2.54 release and then trying the "Generate" button results in a rig basically copying the hierarchy as ORG bones... and that's it. Tried the saved blend file in the latest Graphicall build too, and the "Generate" button does the same thing. ORG bones only.

trepo
22-Oct-10, 17:22
thank for update :D

still error as blendman

os windowxp

blender 2.54.0 32bit svn 32639

:)

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 17:24
Creating the rig in the standard 2.54 release and then trying the "Generate" button results in a rig basically copying the hierarchy as ORG bones... and that's it. Tried the saved blend file in the latest Graphicall build too, and the "Generate" button does the same thing. ORG bones only.

That metarig is incompatible with the new system. It (along with the rest of the old rigify code) will be removed when I integrate the new system.

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 17:25
Sent logs to your email Nathan... and it had failed ;)

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 17:28
Well, until I can see the samples then - we're still stuck ;)

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 17:38
Okay, I think (hope?) I've fixed it now. Can you give it another try?

Apparently __package__ doesn't work in Blender python on Windows/Mac, and I was depending on that to know the name of the rigify package. I've just replaced it with "rigify" for now.

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 17:43
And for the record, I'm currently developing this on blender svn 32539. So ideally if people want to test this, they should have at least that recent a build of Blender.

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 17:52
Using version 32628 :)

BTolputt
22-Oct-10, 18:01
Sent log to your email

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 18:11
BTolputt: check your email

Cessen
22-Oct-10, 20:37
Okay, after a bunch of back-and-forth with BTolputt I've got everything working.

Note that on some of the generated rigs not all of the controls will show up due to this bug:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=24364&group_id=9&atid=498

But once that bug is fixed everything should work fine.

pimpmymonkey
22-Oct-10, 23:07
Thanks for your hard work Nathan.

P. Monk

blendman
23-Oct-10, 04:41
Hi

I have tried and it work on the revision 32640 (except for the invisible mesh bug :)).

But, with the new revision (32656), I have the error (windows Xp) :

http://blendman.free.fr/blender/2.5/rigify3.jpg

The menu "rigify" and the button "generate" doesn't appear (in the panel "object data")

Thank you again Nathan for this great work ;-)

Edit :
I think I have 2 differents errors :

1. if in the "user preference", the rigify button (of the addon) is "on" > the "generate" button in the "object data" panel doesn't appear.
2. If I push off (in the user preference) the rigify butoon (of the addon), and I push again this button "on", the menu Rigify and the button "generate" does appear in the "Object data" panel.
But if I push on this generate button, I have the errors :

file:///C:/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://blendman.free.fr/blender/2.5/rigify4.jpg

Hope it can help ;). Thanks.
Sorry for my english.

Cessen
23-Oct-10, 05:13
Thanks for the report, blendman. I think I've fixed it. Can you check?

ristesekuloski
23-Oct-10, 11:26
I have bitten the bullet and installed bazaar... When I try to open the address it says that there are 26 revisions but I still cannot access the addon files.

any ideas?

ristesekuloski
23-Oct-10, 11:39
I have bitten the bullet and installed bazaar... When I try to open the address it says that there are 26 revisions but I still cannot access the addon files.

any ideas?

trepo
23-Oct-10, 13:13
:D

i check on log history icon clock

i didn't know it good or bad

but i get by see log and copy all log

sorry for my eng

ristesekuloski
23-Oct-10, 14:08
Thanks! I seem to be able to copy contents of the .py files.

JiriH
23-Oct-10, 15:26
Nathan, this is really great. Big thank.
One question. Is it possible to make my own set up or rig part (for example ribbon spine) and associate it somehow with Rigify so it will generate my custom set up instead of the original (i.e. "yours :-)) one?

Cessen
23-Oct-10, 16:05
Nathan, this is really great. Big thank.
One question. Is it possible to make my own set up or rig part (for example ribbon spine) and associate it somehow with Rigify so it will generate my custom set up instead of the original (i.e. "yours :-)) one?

Yes, but you will have to code it in Python.

Under the rigs directory look for "copy.py". It's the simplest rig type, and you can start to get an idea of how to code a rig type from that.

There are some rules that you have to follow, though, to guarantee that the rig types you write will play nice with the rest of Rigify. I'll perhaps write up a tutorial at some point outlining those rules, and why they need to be followed.

JiriH
24-Oct-10, 05:22
Thank you very much, Nathan.

NRK
24-Oct-10, 13:04
Wow, my jaw is on the floor. I spent several hours a few weeks ago doing what you did in the click of a button. THANK YOU!

ilac
27-Oct-10, 06:15
Heya,

Just installed Bazaar but it's not letting me access

Could I be doing anything wrong and/or is there any other simpler way to get hold of Rigify?

Thanks! :)

ristesekuloski
27-Oct-10, 07:20
Heya,

Could I be doing anything wrong and/or is there any other simpler way to get hold of Rigify?

I have installed bazaar and copied the contents of Cessen's folder file by file (actually contents of a files one by one) created directory structure but I still can't make it work.

I would love to be able to try this... however...

ilac
27-Oct-10, 09:27
Heya,

ok so turns out I actually had to put in
http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify rather than
bzr//: etc
for it to work! (Well to give me access at least)

but the export function doesn't work so i to 'browse' and create and copy each file manually... Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes because will be hell to figure out which file I copied wrongly... :/

Still have to try it though! Fingers crossed!

ikeahloe
27-Oct-10, 23:03
ok so turns out I actually had to put in
http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify rather than
bzr//: etc
for it to work! (Well to give me access at least)

but the export function doesn't work so i to 'browse' and create and copy each file manually... Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes because will be hell to figure out which file I copied wrongly... :/

Still have to try it though! Fingers crossed!

thank you!

ilac
28-Oct-10, 05:38
Update:

Finally gave it a shot and it kinda half worked for me (I'm on Wndows 7 by the way)

At first I couldn't activate the addon but then after a slight change I could..
The change, you ask? Drum roll: 'Rigify' folder had to be all small letters so 'rigify'!
Not sure if it was a conicidence but for those of you having problems activating the addon see if you have any caps in the naming for all it's worth.

Once the addon was activated all menus showed up and I proceeded to follow cessen's video but when I clicked 'generate' all I got was a copy of armature, which I believe Cessen said in an earlier post is because of an incompatibility with recent blender versions, correct?

Has anyone manged to get it to work on windows with a build from Graphicall? If yes, can you please let me know which build as, so far, none of the ones I tried have worked as expected! :/

Thanks!

RickyBlender
30-Oct-10, 08:58
in first video you say that we can get this generic man
is this free license and where can we get it to experiment ?

also is this rigify available on latest built at graphicall for vista or not ?

Thanks and happy 2.5

wicked208
02-Nov-10, 16:16
hi there, i am very exciting with the discover of rigify, but i try to download with bazaar, and i cant, i introduce the url, and get this error, this brand dont have work tree, last revision 38, please help me, how i can download rigify?

grsaaynoel
02-Nov-10, 23:20
OH MY GOD Ilac. I was playing around with this thing not working for ages. Many thanks for the fix.

~Glenn

ristesekuloski
03-Nov-10, 05:22
Me again! Is there possibility that we get those files in one pack so we can try them. I've copied files for the third time (file by file), and although there is rigify in the addons, I cannot make it work (the &*%* stays gray).

I would really like to give it a try, but I have given out hope that I'll make this bazaar thing work.

Nathan? Anyone?

ikeahloe
03-Nov-10, 06:46
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n1ojg9

this is a zip from the rigify i got from a few days ago, not sure if there are any new enhancements since then

just unzip the file and stick the whole rigify folder in your addons folder

ilac
03-Nov-10, 08:24
hi there, i am very exciting with the discover of rigify, but i try to download with bazaar, and i cant, i introduce the url, and get this error, this brand dont have work tree, last revision 38, please help me, how i can download rigify?

Hi guys - Progress!

So to download the files with bazaar (rather than copying every file manually) you need to checkout the rigify files to a local branch. I think I managed via the menu: Bazaar> Start> Checkout.

It's also working as expected with most recent windows builds on grapicall!
Thanks cessen!! :)

vrc2250
03-Nov-10, 22:04
Here's how I got it working on OSX with the latest build. Install Bazaar. Open terminal and type in "bzr branch http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify"
This should start the process and let you download to the root level of your Mac drive. Now, located the latest version of Blender you have downloaded. Right mouse click on the application and select "Show Package Contents". Then Navigate to this folder / Contents/MacOS/2.55/Scripts/addons Drag/Copy the entire Rigify folder into this addons folder and close the window. Launch Blender 2.55, Goto File/User preferences / Add-Ones .. Down the left side you will see Rigging, click on it and make sure Rigging:Rigify is checked. That's it, you will then be able to follow along with the demo..

wolfmanyoda
04-Nov-10, 00:01
Update:

...I proceeded to follow cessen's video but when I clicked 'generate' all I got was a copy of armature, which I believe Cessen said in an earlier post is because of an incompatibility with recent blender versions, correct?

This is what is happening to me. I get the console line: "Rigify: failed to generate rig"

Win 7 4bit and build 32858 which I just downloaded and it came with rigify.

EDIT: Never mind, it must have been something I did. I tried a second time and it worked like a charm.
Thank you, this tool is very nice!!

wolfmanyoda
04-Nov-10, 08:32
Ok, so it's not working quite like a charm.

It will generate the new rig, but the new rig is scaled down and the location is off so I have to try to scale it and line it up with the mesh.

Problem solved, I had to apply scale and location to the armature and my mesh before generating the new rig.

r9onaldo
04-Nov-10, 08:40
I think that happens when you scale the rig in object mode. When you adapt the rig to fit your character don't scale it in object mode but tab into edit mode and align the bones one by one. I'm not sure if this is the case in the new rigify system because I still haven't tried it but that's how it works in the official 2.54 beta

BTolputt
04-Nov-10, 19:06
I've been helping out Cessen with a little testing here and there, so I can answer one or two of the issues that are cropping up from my experiences.

Scaling &/or offsetting the armature will cause problems, because the rigify scripts make an assumption that the armature is siting above the origin. The way I ensure things are working is that I make sure the rig is standing on the ground plane (as seen from ortho front view) and that the legs are standing either side of the origin point (i.e. hips, spin, etc are all at x=0). You can use the "Apply Location" and "Apply Scale" operations to freeze the armature there properly. I have found if you rotate the armature that "Apply Rotation" does weird stuff to the bone roll values, so I'd avoid that if possible.

Getting a message "cannot create rig" tends to be because you've flagged bones in the armature with a rig type, but their connectivity does not match what is required of them. For example, I was banging my head against a wall for half an hour before I realised that the upper arm joint is not allowed to be "connected" to the shoulder/collar joint. Checking the "Connected" property to off on the upper arm bones fixed this. The best way to use rigify is to use the samples provided and align the bones manually. There is a human metarig you can add from the "Shift+A > Armature" menu that is setup correctly, or you can (whilst editing the armature) add a sample arm/leg/whatever from the Rigify panel in the Properties view.

Unless, like me, you are trying to rigify a pre-existing mesh and armature... in which case, you need to edit the armature to correspond to the rigify expectations. Time consuming, painful, and mind-numbing as that might be.

MarkJoel60
06-Nov-10, 00:18
Question about setting up the rig before calling GENERATE:

(BTW, I am running on the new 2.55 Beta. No problems. Running on Windows 7 32 Bit here...)

When naming the bones before you call generate... I am wondering what the best naming convention is? In Nathan's "And here is the baked cake" demonstration, he really doesn't tell us how he got the rig ready to be generated... So, I am making some assumptions.

I went through and renamed the arms, legs and fingers with a .L suffix. I also renamed the finger types to reflect the finger I am setting (ie Thumb, index, middle, etc). And each of these, I also give a .L suffix.

The problem is the final names that are getting generated. For example, it is HAND.L.IK... and FOOT.R.ROLL. The challenge is then the Mirror-X is not working. So, If I want to tweak the setup if the generated rig, It isn't fixing the right side as I adjust the left side.

What naming convention is everyone else using? Or are you just renaming them to something X-Mirror accepts after Rigify is through?

BTolputt
06-Nov-10, 00:41
The naming convention doesn't really matter, the rig is generated based on the rigify type associated with a bone and the parent/child hierarchy of bones from there on down the chain.

The final rig names is a good point and probably one I would classify as a "bug". I'll talk to Nathan and see what it would take to get that fixed. Hopefully it is a quick fix, but I'd pay to get it done properly. If I can't get in touch with him - I'll take a stab at it myself.

Nenad
06-Nov-10, 10:01
I played around little a bit with rigify addon after observing Nathan's tutorials. It is really improving greatly! What i basically did is to import meta-rig. I positioned that meta rig into my test mesh and reshaped it to fit. I removed all fingers exept thumb. I tried to leave one finger in place for hand moving, but rigify wont work if you delete fingers for me. So i need to delete all the fingers. After reshaping, moved meta-rig aside, generated rig, and did auto-bind mesh to generated rig.

Then i noticed mesh wont deform properly. It was because ik bones were included too. I need to switch off layers with ik bones and bind mesh again.

Then i had great chance to play around with rig.

Congrats, great work, Nathan! :)

Small (pretty roughly animated) video:

http://www.vimeo.com/16561803

Cessen
07-Nov-10, 02:51
The problem is the final names that are getting generated. For example, it is HAND.L.IK... and FOOT.R.ROLL. The challenge is then the Mirror-X is not working. So, If I want to tweak the setup if the generated rig, It isn't fixing the right side as I adjust the left side.

Sorry about that. I'll change that so that it generates the names properly for x mirroring.

There is no naming convention that you need to follow. Rigify will take anything.

The only exception is that you should not start bone names with "ORG-" "DEF-" or "MCH-", because rigify uses those internally during the generating process.

Cessen
07-Nov-10, 03:18
Okay, the L/R naming gets preserved properly now. Thanks for the report!

Michael W
07-Nov-10, 05:19
I tried this a while back and was loving it then...

support question though: how do I update with bazaar? (on linux)
I think I created a branch rather than just getting the files...

bzr update
gives me this error:

michael@michael-belle:~/rigify$ bzr update
bzr: ERROR: branch has no revision null:
bzr update --revision only works for a revision in the branch history
michael@michael-belle:~/rigify$
EDIT:

I just ended up deleting the contents of my folder then doing

bzr init
bzr merge http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify
but there must be a better way than this!

almux
07-Nov-10, 10:19
Hi Cessen,

Looks great stuff. Wich latest GraphicAll OSX Intel version has that feature included? Can't dee it in the builds i just downloaded (tkroo and Damien).

ogbog
07-Nov-10, 14:23
Hi Cessen,

Looks great stuff. Wich latest GraphicAll OSX Intel version has that feature included? Can't dee it in the builds i just downloaded (tkroo and Damien).

It took me a while to figure this out last night. Mac users, here's the in-depth process for how to get Rigify. Hope it saves you some time:

1. Download and install bazaar
2. Open Terminal. (Tip: Command+Spacebar brings up spotlight, just type in terminal)
3. type in bzr init and hit enter
4. type in bzr branch http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify/ and hit enter
5. This should download a folder called "Rigify" to your User folder.
6. Navigate to the Blender 2.55 application.
7. Right Click and select "Show Package Contents"
8. Navigate to Contents\MacOS\2.55\Scripts\Addons
9. Put the Rigify folder into the Addons folder
10. Launch Blender and in the User Preferences you should now be able to turn on Rigify

almux
07-Nov-10, 16:05
It took me a while to figure this out last night. Mac users, here's the in-depth process for how to get Rigify. Hope it saves you some time:

2. Open Terminal. (Tip: Command+Spacebar brings up spotlight, just type in terminal)
6. Navigate to the Blender 2.55 application.
7. Right Click and select "Show Package Contents"
8. Navigate to Contents\MacOS\2.55\Scripts\Addons
9. Put the Rigify folder into the Addons folder
10. Launch Blender and in the User Preferences you should now be able to turn on Rigify

Waow... what terrible way to get it done! :x Yet, the feature seams just amazingly great enough to get a try! ;)
I'll probably ask my older son (he's a sort of Terminal wizard... or freak...) to help me out with this scary "inside-of-the-guts" fiddling...

Thank you for your indications.

BTolputt
07-Nov-10, 16:08
-laugh- I have the Bazaar UI installed on Windows. A couple of clicks and it is done... then I copy the resulting files over to the Mac machine.

I like using the command line, however SVN is my source control program of choice, so I didn't want to work out all the hoops to jump through to get Bazaar working as well for the one application ;)

Cessen
07-Nov-10, 16:27
Michael W:
It may seem a little tricky, since bzr is a distributed revision control system.

There are two ways you can go about it:

Initial checkout (svn style):
bzr co bzr://bzr.cessen.com/rigify
Update (svn style):
bzr update

Initial branch/clone (distributed style):
bzr branch bzr://bzr.cessen.com/rigify
Pull changes from remote repo (distributed style):
bzr pull

You can do one or the other, but mixing them doesn't work.

Hope that helps. :-)

Cessen
07-Nov-10, 16:30

Is it actually capitalizing the directory name? It should be called "rigify" not "Rigify". As someone noted earlier in the thread, the case matters.

ogbog
07-Nov-10, 19:08
Nah, it's not capitalized. Typo, my bad :P

@Almux yeah, I know, it's super ugly, but it was the only thing I could get to work. Navigating to it via the Add-Ons user prefs gave me one of two errors: either I'd hit okay and it wouldn't show up, or it would say that it already existed but wouldn't be replaced (and still not show up)

I rigged and posed a big personality woman in like 30 minutes! Yay Nathan!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/189643730.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289175715&Signature=d9xgt%2FYdR0rnUHrHyvs6KToszXw%3D
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/189643730.png

bkpc
08-Nov-10, 05:15
rigify dont work anymore with my latest compiled rev of blender (32942).

:-(

somethings specials changed??

san_diego_james
09-Nov-10, 04:02
hey guys, I got it working, but I don't understand how to use the rig. I understand it is "nathan's rig". can somebody point me to the best explanation of how to use the rig?

almux
09-Nov-10, 04:26
Nah, it's not capitalized. Typo, my bad :P

@Almux yeah, I know, it's super ugly, but it was the only thing I could get to work. Navigating to it via the Add-Ons user prefs gave me one of two errors: either I'd hit okay and it wouldn't show up, or it would say that it already existed but wouldn't be replaced (and still not show up)

I rigged and posed a big personality woman in like 30 minutes! Yay Nathan!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/189643730.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289175715&Signature=d9xgt%2FYdR0rnUHrHyvs6KToszXw%3D
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/189643730.png

Gg!
;)
Well, learning scripting on top of all is (to me) a very time-eating (and stressing) matter... I think one sole person cannot do absolutely everything in life and still being very good with it... :o
Or maybe, i'm lazy...
But in time i get my son to come home and have a dirty Terminal job done, there might be another cool patch or installation method pulled out Cessen's magic hat!
;D

EDIT: And, btw, can't see your picts (must be something wrong with uploads/server, i guess)

ogbog
09-Nov-10, 13:01
EDIT: And, btw, can't see your picts (must be something wrong with uploads/server, i guess)

Heehee, I think it got pulled because it was PG-13. Maybe if it's got a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: This image is PG-13, only click if your parents say it's okay!!!
http://twitpic.com/34wq1e

Cessen
09-Nov-10, 19:01
rigify dont work anymore with my latest compiled rev of blender (32942).

:-(

somethings specials changed??

Fixed. It was a minor python api change.

Cessen
09-Nov-10, 19:03
For example, I was banging my head against a wall for half an hour before I realised that the upper arm joint is not allowed to be "connected" to the shoulder/collar joint.

That shouldn't be the case. I just tested here and it works fine. I don't think I changed anything in the code...

ristesekuloski
09-Nov-10, 20:15
Cessen, I have played with the addon for a while and I really love it (I have yet to use it with a mesh, but by itself it works like charm).

However, this thread has turned into 'how to make bazaar work' and somehow rigify is left out. It would be great to have every once in a while a zip with major updates available.

Cessen
09-Nov-10, 20:26
ristesekuloski:
Here you go. Revision 41. Dunno how often I'll update this, but at least it can get people started.

I'll add it to the OP too.

rigify_r_41.zip (http://storage.cessen.com/perm_links/2010/blenderartists/rigify_r_41.zip)

Cd27
09-Nov-10, 20:44
Why not just upload the zip file to megaupload.com and say screw you to bazaar? If it's the downloading service that's the problem then get a new one. Simple.

Cessen
09-Nov-10, 21:23
Why not just upload the zip file to megaupload.com and say screw you to bazaar? If it's the downloading service that's the problem then get a new one. Simple.

Bazaar isn't a downloading service, it's a revision control system.

I have my own web space, no need to for megaupload. See the edit on the OP.

thedaemon
09-Nov-10, 21:32
Thanks! I'm very grateful.

freen
10-Nov-10, 06:06
Hi Nathan!
Awesome stuff man. It's really shaping up.
A small bug report, however:
When trying to add a kneck, I keep getting a spine. (rigify rev41)
It wouldn't be such an issue, but the "rigify type" panel isn't showing for me, so rolling my own isn't working either.
EDIT: Hang on, just realised that the panel only appears when the armature is in pose mode. Also, I noticed that you mention in the video that the kneck type isn't there yet. Sorry about that.

All in all mate this is a great piece of work. You should be really proud.
All the best

bkpc
10-Nov-10, 08:53
Fixed. It was a minor python api change.

u r my hero :-)

great work!!

Cessen
10-Nov-10, 16:28
Also, I noticed that you mention in the video that the kneck type isn't there yet. Sorry about that.

Hi Beorn! I miss you! *hugs!*

And yeah, the neck type isn't there yet. Right now it literally is just a copy of the spine rig. Ha ha.

I'm struggling to figure out a better neck rig, basically. The one on Durian was okay, and I may eventually go back to that. But I want to spend a bit of time thinking on this first.

Might be a good idea to remove that placeholder in the mean time...

DennyLindberg
10-Nov-10, 16:54
Hey Nathan, great work on rigify! May I suggest trying a neck rig similar to the one in this video (http://vimeo.com/11472141) (at 40 seconds)? The video is in Maya but it should be possible with Blender I believe. I don't know how well it works for stretchy characters but so far the setup has worked well and clients I've made rigs for has given positive feedback.

I personally like this kind of setup because it's one controller less to bother about. :)

Nenad
10-Nov-10, 18:55
Here is a small video to cheer you up, some tests of mine and practice on one of my older characters. To pros: sorry for glitches and sliding. To newbies: it is working and not at all complicated :) :)

Im wondering, Nathan, maybe you could add a little hand-to-fist control, to speed up some hand animations ?

http://www.vimeo.com/16713531

p.s. if video is not showing, im waiting in line on vimeo :(

Paint Guy
11-Nov-10, 01:28
Hi Cessen, thanks for making this auto rigging system. A couple of newbie questions.

Can't Get the Human Meta Rig to Work
I got the "auto-rigify" system to work by adding a single leg armature from the "Add Sample" bone menu but I couldn't get it to work with the "Human Meta Rig" from the armature menu. It would let me "parent" to the object but it wouldn't let me select "with automatic weights". Does it not work with the Human Meta Rig? I'd like to add a whole human rig at once instead of individual bones. Is this possible?

Rigify Auto-rigging system Suggestions
Cessen, Sorry if these questions are naive because I am new to this whole rigging thing so please bear with me. Thanks. :)

• Is it possible to make this so you don't have to first add a single bone then delete it to use this? I'd like to be able to just add a leg bone or a full armature and use that.
• In future versions will we have to add bones from the rigify buttons panel or will we be able to add bones and a full biped armature also from the (add > armature) menu?

pg

Acuena
11-Nov-10, 01:39
Hmm how do I use this??
I have NO clue xD

Nenad
11-Nov-10, 03:12
@Paint Guy and others: It is absolutley possible to rig your character out-of-the box. The character from my video 3 posts up is rigged that way. I even did not bother to paint weights, it is auto-weighted. Nathans video in fact shows how it is done (the video from 1 post in this theread) but maybe it is not so obvious. It is not beginner oriented video, it is more like rigify demonstration. If I will have some time during weekend i might record small video tutorial step by step how to do this!

almux
11-Nov-10, 10:19
That would be great Nenad!
Can't get enough of trying to understand things working... especially when their supposed to be that "easy n'cool"! Such things are just so delightful! :)

Nenad
11-Nov-10, 11:07
@almux yep i agree! Curently im watching some sintel tutorials. But i admit i reverse some parts many times trying to understand whats going on lol

BTW Cessen: I noticed that when you generate rig, it slightly differs in size than metarig itself. I need to resize generated rig a bit to fit into mesh.
Other things that i notice is great many of vertex groups that it generates when doing auto weights assigment to mesh, especially in head part. I wonder why this occure ...

Cessen
11-Nov-10, 18:05
BTW Cessen: I noticed that when you generate rig, it slightly differs in size than metarig itself. I need to resize generated rig a bit to fit into mesh.
Other things that i notice is great many of vertex groups that it generates when doing auto weights assigment to mesh, especially in head part. I wonder why this occure ...

Can you post a link to the affected file (metarig included) so I can try to figure out what's going on? Because I'm getting neither issue here.

Nenad
12-Nov-10, 07:31
Cessen: both solved! Vertex groups issue was because mesh was attached to another armature before, so groups were leaved in.

About the size issue, i noticed metarig size was for some reason x,y,z:0.977 . And generate is obviously always producing x,y,z:1 for rig object.

So conclusion; if you need to resize metarig in whole(to fit into giant or gnome proportions), dont do it in object mode, but go in editmode, select all and resize all that way!

One more thing learned... :)

Cd27
14-Nov-10, 06:36
I know this kind of doesn't have much to pertain to Rigify in specific, but Rigify is one of the tools I was pointed to (and I must say, this is very awesome, and thank you SO much for this improvement! Your work and dedication does not go un-noticed! :D). Here's the thread where my problem's main discussion is at:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201542

I'm using Mesh's I produced from Make Human 0.9 and imported the .obj files into blender. I resize the mesh to 2 BU so that the top half of the body is in 1 BU and the bottom is in the other. When I try to auto-weight it with any rig the vertex groups are just wrong so I try to go in manually and adjust them but I just don't know enough about weight painting or properly placing the vertex groups for certain parts of the body like Toes, Ancles, Wrists, Arms, and the Head. I'm reading the book "Introduction To Character Animation", but it really doesn't go into detail about all this. I guess it truly is just an introduction because it's very vague about weight painting and proper vertex placement for joints and whatnot.

I tried rigging it with two methods:

1. Using the MetaRig from the add function (after enabling all add-ons).
2. Building the rig myself from the Rigify sample selections.

(1) when I tried to rigify with the metarig offered in blender, rigify didn't like the rig, even after I went in and made sure that each bone was identified in rigify. It threw an error at me and wouldn't rigify it.
(2) still problems with the vert placement and weight placement. Again, not much of a problem with Rigify, more my own experience in rigging characters. It seems as though Make Human's mesh's just don't like auto-weighting because it totally wrecks the mesh everytime when I try to deform it after auto-weighting it.

Anyways, thanks for any help anyone.

almux
14-Nov-10, 06:59
As i almost never model humanoids, can this rigging method be tweaked massively to fit to very un-earthy beings without breaking the fabulous auto functions?

(jay)
14-Nov-10, 09:03
almux, because of the modular nature of Rigify (Nathan demos adding multiple arms to a character) as long as the un-earthly parts move in a similar manner to earthly ones they will work fine for you- otherwise you may need to do some custom stuff.

As someone who used The Setup Machine a million years ago this looks really nice to use, can't wait to try the finished version.

almux
14-Nov-10, 11:23
Thanks (jay),
Yes, i was thinking about that. It will need a look on how knees and elbows can be twisted or get bent another way. Also how many elbows and knees can be added to arms and legs... ;) Juste some more adventurous stuff to be discovered when trying out the tool! :D

speaker_mute
15-Nov-10, 09:56
after two hours reading all comments in this post i could install it and let me say that works perfectly.

Thanks Nathan for the work and all other for the step by step guide how to install it.

Nenad
15-Nov-10, 13:35
Here is small contribution, tutorial about basics of Rigify Meta-rigging human model.
There is another one about how to get the plugin via Bazaar, i will post it soonish

http://vimeo.com/16851182

MarkJoel60
15-Nov-10, 17:06
Nenad, that is incredibly useful... Thanks!

Sago
15-Nov-10, 20:25
Nenad, please.... use x-axis mirror. Beginners that watch your video, which overall is very informative, might think it's necessary to edit every half separate.

Nenad
16-Nov-10, 02:05
MarkJoel60: thanks for comment!

Sago: Yes, a good point :). And watching both hands being adjusted is pretty long and too off topic. Also, I noticed some typos, and in one part when important remark regarding IK should be in subs, some older sentace pop up!
I plan to do improved version at the same link (i have whole tutorial as Sony Vegas Studio project) so comment like this are welcome.

Here is another short tutorial, for those confused with downloading latest version Rigify addon from Bazaar (on windows)

http://vimeo.com/16879066

almux
16-Nov-10, 14:27
Thanks for your demo, Nenad!

Cessen
16-Nov-10, 22:54
Nenad: thanks for making that tutorial. I'm sure it will be very helpful to people. :-)

I've uploaded a newer zip file. Revision 45 of Rigify:
rigify_r_45.zip (http://storage.cessen.com/perm_links/2010/blenderartists/rigify_r_45.zip)

The main changes are some fixes for recent SVN versions of Blender (python api changes) and the addition of a neck rig for short necks (e.g. humans/cats/dogs, not giraffes/geese). I'm not at all sure if this is the neck rig I'll be sticking with. But for the time being, it's better than none.

Cessen
17-Nov-10, 02:08
I've committed Rigify to Blender svn now. So the addon should automatically appear in builds from now on. You'll still have to enable the addon, of course.

Future updates will be through blender svn. I won't be maintaining the bazaar repository anymore.

Nenad
17-Nov-10, 03:21
Almux: thanks for watching :)
Cessen: If nothing, lets create more noise about this :) Because i think it is worthy! It gave non-riggers people easy way to lay their hands on sweetness of animation :)

thedaemon
17-Nov-10, 03:54
It's allowed me to not have to forget and go back to previous rigs to see how to rig something as basic as a foot. I can get down to the nitty gritty animation goodness. Thanks again.

freen
17-Nov-10, 05:39
Hey cessen!
I don't suppose you're thinking of adding a paypal donate button somewhere, so that your fans (like me) can contribute to rigify?
Thing is, it looks like I'll be using rigify to earn some money in the next few months, and I'd love to be able to shoot some of it your way.
I notice there's no mention of rigify on your website, (and none of your Sintel stuff, for that matter)... might be time for an update!

Thanks again for the great work, and good luck with the freelancing!

Cessen
17-Nov-10, 18:35
Freen:
At the moment I don't need any financial support. BTolputt has already funded a substantial amount of the development, which allowed me to dedicate a week straight to Rigify development. So thank him. :-)

Regarding my website:
I don't have any of my Sintel work up basically because I'm lazy, and I don't want to cut together yet another reel. I already have an updated 2010 reel, but it contains a lot of content from Project London which I'm not allowed to show publicly yet. I do mention my involvement with Sintel under "stuff" (which perhaps could be named better).

I'll add information about Rigify to my site eventually.

EDIT:
Although (regarding getting paid for Rigify), if people want me to add specific features or rig types to Rigify, it would make sense to pay me for that. But outside of that, I'm happy to just keep working away at it for my own purposes. ;-)

bat3a
20-Nov-10, 14:08
when i try to generate a rig it copies the armature and gives me this error, why? :)

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3131/rigifyerr.jpg

Cessen
20-Nov-10, 20:59
Hi bat3a,
I get that error sometimes as well, but I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably, so I've been unable to track it down. If you are getting it reliably, can you send me the blend file?

Michael W
21-Nov-10, 04:32
This is very cool! Liking it now being in svn!
I can't seem to find how you "tag" bones or set their target layer anymore... has that feature been removed? (or am I just being blind?)

even if it's complicated some instruction on how to make new rigs to expand this system would be cool!

...or perhaps just some more types:
quadruped rear legs, wings, tentacle and "stretchy" components would all be cool additions that's cover pretty much all the common cases!

I also wonder about facial and eye rigs... though these are likely to be highly specialised and personal to people I'd love to create some of my own riggers for these!

freen
21-Nov-10, 05:07
Michael W: I think you have to be in pose mode to do that. are you in pose mode?

Regarding custom rig types, at the moment you can set the rig type to "copy" which works, but I agree it would be nice to know how to add custom rigs. It's all there to dissect, though...

Michael W
21-Nov-10, 05:32
Michael W: I think you have to be in pose mode to do that. are you in pose mode?

Regarding custom rig types, at the moment you can set the rig type to "copy" which works, but I agree it would be nice to know how to add custom rigs. It's all there to dissect, though...

Ah, thanks for that! All good now!

I'm wondering if it's all "brute force" python for each type with a generic structure to define rig types...

...off to have a look!

BTolputt
21-Nov-10, 09:06
BTolputt has already funded a substantial amount of the development, which allowed me to dedicate a week straight to Rigify development.For the record, as a developer working for a week, fixing problems in the script as the Blender API changes (every-time it changes), and delivering a working product at the end of it all - Nathan's rates are quite reasonable. I've both worked with, have been subcontracted by, and hired developers / artists without half this guy's integrity on the deliverable front. Worth every cent.

One of the things I hired him for was a longer tutorial (which is too long to YouTube, as was initially the plan) that showed me how to rig one of my characters using the script properly. If there was a combined requirement on how one could put together a new "rigify type" (such as wings), combining your money and hiring Nathan to document the process (with or without video content) is not a terrible way to go about doing things ;)

Uncle Entity
21-Nov-10, 15:33
One of the things I hired him for was a longer tutorial (which is too long to YouTube, as was initially the plan) that showed me how to rig one of my characters using the script properly.

How long is it because looking at the BF youtube page the Sintel documentary is like an hour.

(jay)
21-Nov-10, 16:00
Also, the video can be broken up into 10 minute chunks...

BTolputt
21-Nov-10, 18:07
It's 38m minutes, but when Nathan tried uploading it to YouTube (all 878Mb of it), they spent about a day & a half waiting for it to "process" then said it was too long and never released it. Not being a YouTube expert, I can only go by what they tell us.

My assumption about the Sintel videos is they either pay for or were given special permissions for longer videos.

revolt_randy
22-Nov-10, 18:59
Just a little thought about videos. I posted a 24 min video, file size was 28.5 mb.... So I'm wondering what codec, screen resolution, etc was used to record this video? I thought youtube had a time limit as well. Personally, I think vimeo is a more professional video hosting site. I mean that in two ways, 1st, I just think it's better executed, 2nd, you'll find better videos and less 'trash' stuff on vimeo. But that is just my opinion.

A little quick math shows me that 24 min video @ 28.5 mb = 1.19 mb/per minute...
38 min @ 878 mb = 23.1 mb/per minute....

IMO, the video resolution is too high and the codec sucks... I convert all my videos to 800x600 and use mp4 codecs. Yes, not exactly hi-def tv standards, but if you know how to use blender, it's good enough at 1/20th the weight....

Just a thought,
Randy

freen
23-Nov-10, 04:39
Yes, YouTube give the BF special privileges (and don't charge for it - they really like the BF).
This is also why Sintel wasn't "officially" released on Vimeo; they have the complete opposite attitude to YouTube.

Maybe if a really useful tutorial like this could be released on the BF's channel?

mjedewaard
23-Nov-10, 09:40
I don't know if someone has already suggested this but how hard would it be to make it so you can create your own rig types?

Uncle Entity
23-Nov-10, 11:37
There's always the bittorrent...

Cessen
23-Nov-10, 19:23
I don't know if someone has already suggested this but how hard would it be to make it so you can create your own rig types?

You can already make your own rig types, but you have to code them in Python. The code is designed very modularly, so that the rig types are their own self-contained python modules, and they just have to be put in the correct directory.

Perhaps what you're asking for is a more user-friendly way to create rig types? That's not in the plans, I'm afraid. That would be a project unto itself. A substantial undertaking. It's an interesting problem, though, and one that I might tackle if paid.

In any case, I believe Bassam's Rigamarule is more along those lines. So perhaps you might like to check that out. It's also a good system, just with a bit of a different philosophy.

I'm wondering if it's all "brute force" python for each type with a generic structure to define rig types...

Pretty much, yes.

There are a few rules you have to follow in order for a rig type to play nicely with Rigify and the other rig types. I'll outline those rules at some point. But they're mainly about naming conventions that the system relies upon to inform it how to treat different bones (e.g. "DEF-", "MCH-", "ORG-"), and about how rig types are and aren't allowed to modify 'original' bones.

shibazz
23-Nov-10, 20:25
Cessan, you're the man!

Thanks gazillions!

Got the rig to properly generate from the Human Meta Rig, but my noobness is having trouble readjusting a couple skinning problems.

I'm going to try again, and not fail so much this time.

Thanks again.

kishigo
25-Nov-10, 14:55
This is great. Thank you Cessen. One question though. Is there a way to turn the wrist without having the forearm twist up? I've tried to go in and make the forearm segmented, but there appear to be two forearm bones. Am I missing something?

Anyway, thank you again

Kevin

Cessen
25-Nov-10, 17:37
Is there a way to turn the wrist without having the forearm twist up? I've tried to go in and make the forearm segmented, but there appear to be two forearm bones.

Two part answer:

1. Yes, you can turn that off. It's one of the rig parameters for the biped arm rig type. In the metarig, select the upper arm bone in pose mode, and go to the bone properties where the rig type is. There should be a checkbox labeled "forearm twist". Uncheck it, and the forearm will generate as one bone.

2. You probably don't actually want to do this. Forearms in real life *do* twist, so you want both bones. Automatic weighting, of course, will make it twist too sharply where the two bones meet, but you can fix that simply by manually smoothing out the weighting between those two bones across the length of the forearm. You will want to do the same thing with the two bones in the upper arm, as well as on the leg with the thigh (and possibly the shin, although that's less critical). You will also want to turn on dual-quaternion deformations in the armature modifier, so that the arm twist doesn't cause shrinkage.

kishigo
25-Nov-10, 19:53
Okay, I'll work on the weighting. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

ristesekuloski
25-Nov-10, 20:22
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TcIqIEaRUW8/TO8KJMFso6I/AAAAAAAABYE/Kvs9Sc0P39A/s1600/coece%2Bod%2Bmika%2Bi%2Btato.png

This is a little robot guy that I made tonight in my spare time between two sessions of studying as a little animation project with my son (he is seven and would love to know something about 3D animation). I love the simplicity of the character. It was rigged with 'rigify' in about 10 minutes (together with inserting correction bones to keep his belly rigid - he is a robot after all)

Many thanks to Nathan!

speaker_mute
25-Nov-10, 20:37
Awesome, a rig in just one click..thank´s you do life easier...

almux
26-Nov-10, 04:06
Awesome, a rig in just one click..thank´s you do life easier...

OoH Yessss! So much less pain and frustrations to endure! ;)

Jambay
26-Nov-10, 20:41
Very nice - spent a couple hours playing with it and looking at the script modules/files and was overwhelmed by the detail needed to create the base rig info file then discovered the utils.py - does anyone know how to execute the "save" option to export a rig so it can be used with rigify?

P.S. doesn't this belong in Python & Plugins?

Keltxo
26-Nov-10, 21:16
W-O-W!! Jawdropping! Ha, ha! I´m still laughin about the video. You´re born to comedy! (and programming!). We the lazy asses of the world thank you for that.

waylow
26-Nov-10, 22:28
Hey Cessen,

forgive me if it has already been asked but where to I look to pull apart the guts of this add-on
I would love to know how it works so I can add some more types of rig parts - (eg - tails, wings, anything else I can think of) if that is possible

it would be great to get a massive library of different body parts for different things (organic and mechanical etc)

Jambay
26-Nov-10, 22:55
Not to speak for Cessen, but that's what I was looking at - wanted to add some "wings" to the base rig. Check the script folder, metarigs for "human" rig creation. It's only option used by menu. You could probably hand code it for replacement (and it is a one shot deal so no way to append). Having multiple "add-on" components would be cool but to be realistic having different model styles should be fine to start.

It looks like the utils.py is setup to export a rig for use but haven't seen where to launch that to save a rig [and get errors when loading that to py script window so it may not be ready for use - mostly the annoying "indent error" messages].

waylow
27-Nov-10, 00:24
Ahh yeah

I'm on a mac so I had to "show package contents" to locate the add-on files
I will have a play around and see if I can figure some stuff out
my python skills are far less advanced than Nathans

cheers

whimsycoll
27-Nov-10, 11:21
Excellent addon! Is this similar to Rigamarule? http://tube.freefac.org/post/autorig-script-for-tube

jpbouza
28-Nov-10, 09:52
Hey Nathan!

Is there an easy way of making custom rig parts for rigify? Or do you have to do those parts exclusively by defining the bones in python?
It would be nice to have a "take this bone chain and make it a rigify part" button, hehe.

Is there any document where you state the rules that have to be respected for making custom parts work??

I doubt that I'll be doing much python though, I'm trying to learn some now, but I'm forcing myself to doing it, hehe, I'm not much fond of programming :)

Cessen
28-Nov-10, 09:55
Very nice - spent a couple hours playing with it and looking at the script modules/files and was overwhelmed by the detail needed to create the base rig info file then discovered the utils.py - does anyone know how to execute the "save" option to export a rig so it can be used with rigify?

You mean the write_metarig function? I should probably expose that in the UI at some point.

But for the time being, after you enable the rigify addon you can open the blender console and type:

import rigify
rigify.utils.write_metarig(object)

Where 'object' is an armature object in the scene. For example:

bpy.data.objects["object_name"]

But note that this does not make a rig type. All it does is generate a script that will recreate the exact armature from within edit mode. Rig types are much more involved, and have to be hand-coded. All I use the write_metarig function for is to create the metarig samples (i.e. that you can add from within edit mode) and templates like the human metarig.

Cessen
28-Nov-10, 10:01
Is there an easy way of making custom rig parts for rigify? Or do you have to do those parts exclusively by defining the bones in python?

You have to write them in Python.

It would be nice to have a "take this bone chain and make it a rigify part" button, hehe.

I agree that it would be nice, but it's also an extremely tall order. Writing such a feature may well be more complex than writing rigify itself. So at the moment, I'm not terribly motivated to tackle it. I would suggest paying me to implement such a feature, except that any estimates I give would be unreliable (I don't know how long it would take me).

Is there any document where you state the rules that have to be respected for making custom parts work??

Not yet. I may get around to it at some point, but I'm not sure when.

jpbouza
28-Nov-10, 10:28
I agree that it would be nice, but it's also an extremely tall order. Writing such a feature may well be more complex than writing rigify itself. So at the moment, I'm not terribly motivated to tackle it. I would suggest paying me to implement such a feature, except that any estimates I give would be unreliable (I don't know how long it would take me).
Hehe, Ok, If someone presses the donate button in BlenRig's site, I may think about the possibility of paying you for such feature :p

freen
29-Nov-10, 08:00
Hey Cessen!
Alright, so I've gotten back on to mucking around with this and have a couple of queries/bugs...

1) I like to have the metarig on a different layer to the generated one. When I generate the rig, it appears to be selected. If I then try to move it to another layer, both rigs disappear and when I go to that new layer, only the metarig remains. The workaround, of course, is generate, deselect, select and move, so it's really not a big issue, but I just thought I'd pass that on.

2) The biped leg template seems to only work properly if you don't rearrange the bones too much. Whenever I adjust the bone placement of the feet and generate the rig, turning up the IK slider actually moves the bones, generally the toe or the knee. I've tried adjusting bone roll in the metarig to match the "virgin" leg template, but that didn't fix it. Any clues about this?

Hope you're happy and well mate!
(BTW, The other day I coulda sworn I heard a pigeon telling me to say hi...)

ogbog
29-Nov-10, 12:58
2) The biped leg template seems to only work properly if you don't rearrange the bones too much. Whenever I adjust the bone placement of the feet and generate the rig, turning up the IK slider actually moves the bones, generally the toe or the knee. I've tried adjusting bone roll in the metarig to match the "virgin" leg template, but that didn't fix it. Any clues about this?

I had this problem back in the day with my old Maya autorigger, obRig. (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/character/c/obrig/) My crappy workaround was to make it a three step process instead of a 2 step process. Step 1: map bones to your character preferences. Step 2: Reposition arms and legs solely through the use of your IK Aim, and Step 3: generate rig.

Basically, the problem is that you can't map FK bones and have your IK make sense of it. However, you can do the opposite: get your IK setup, then use those bone positions to get your FK setup. Never a pretty process...if you think your problems are bad, try getting a spline IK/FK setup that shares the same position :D

One thing you might try doing, in the spirit of what I just outlined: make an IK leg separate from the metarig, then go though the pains of snapping, aligning, etc, so that this IK leg's coordinates are identical to its coordinates in edit mode, or when the modifier is turned off. Then, once you've got that, snap to this leg's coordinates when aligning the Rigify rig.

Cessen
29-Nov-10, 14:11
1) I like to have the metarig on a different layer to the generated one. When I generate the rig, it appears to be selected. If I then try to move it to another layer, both rigs disappear and when I go to that new layer, only the metarig remains. The workaround, of course, is generate, deselect, select and move, so it's really not a big issue, but I just thought I'd pass that on.

Wow. Yeah, just tested. This seems to be a Blender bug, not a Rigify bug. According to the python API, the outliner, and (as you noted) the 3d view, the generated rig is indeed the only selected object, as well as the active object.

File a bug a report. I can't fix this on my end.

Can you send me an example file with the metarig?

I should note that a small amount of movement is to be expected at this point. It will be fixed eventually. But if you're talking 20+ degrees, then something may be wrong.

Cessen
29-Nov-10, 18:38
Freen:
I've committed a fix that should (?) fix the IK shifting issue.

freen
30-Nov-10, 07:06
Hmmm... Just rebuilt, but with no luck.
Want a blend?

Radulf
30-Nov-10, 21:06
Sorry for being such a newbie but how do i acutally implement this into my blender? I've downloaded the zip, only i have no idea what i should do with it.

Thanks.

Cessen
30-Nov-10, 23:21
Hmmm... Just rebuilt, but with no luck.
Want a blend?

Yes, please. :-)

3pointEdit
01-Dec-10, 02:39
I just downloaded recent build and found rigify to enable addon, but it wont tick active? r33356 windows 32bit.

Cessen
01-Dec-10, 04:35
I just downloaded recent build and found rigify to enable addon, but it wont tick active? r33356 windows 32bit.

It works for me on r33408 on Linux 64bit.

Can you start Blender from a console and give me its output when you try to enable Rigify?

3pointEdit
01-Dec-10, 07:11
Have to get back to work to do it. How do I run Blender from console?

thelowlander
01-Dec-10, 17:27
Cool add-on. I am wondering, if rigify someday allows for custom rigs to be imported, would it still be vital to be mindful about using MCH (MCH1, MCH2), DEF, VIS etc? I have been using this same scheme since you mentioned it during big buck bunny, and I'd like to stick to it because it just works very well.
I like the rig that rigify produces, but I'd rather use my own rig/rigs. It would be cool if I could generate them in a similar fashion.

ps. Did anyone notice you can't seem to "fatten" b-bones anymore in editmode. Where alt+s would before scale the thickness of a b-bone, it does nothing now. I'm using blender 2.5 revision 33417.

ogbog
01-Dec-10, 17:51
Cool add-on. I am wondering, if rigify someday allows for custom rigs to be imported, would it still be vital to be mindful about using MCH (MCH1, MCH2), DEF, VIS etc? I have been using this same scheme since you mentioned it during big buck bunny, and I'd like to stick to it because it just works very well.
I like the rig that rigify produces, but I'd rather use my own rig/rigs. It would be cool if I could generate them in a similar fashion.

ps. Did anyone notice you can't seem to "fatten" b-bones anymore in editmode. Where alt+s would before scale the thickness of a b-bone, it does nothing now. I'm using blender 2.5 revision 33417.

It's Ctrl Alt S now.

Anton Ahlstrand
01-Dec-10, 18:14
Great add on.

I have a problem though. When i hit "Generate" this happens. I followed your instructions in the second video and the bones are all perfectly aligned inside the mesh. I've tried it plenty of times and the rig seems to generate at a random position unrelated to the bones. Sometimes it's upside down.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1440/problem2.th.png (http://img208.imageshack.us/i/problem2.png/)

3pointEdit
01-Dec-10, 19:24
http://i55.tinypic.com/15x1du0.jpg[/IMG]Cessen, it will activate if I change a window into User Prefs. But not if I spawn a seperate User Prefs via the Info/file menu.

3pointEdit
01-Dec-10, 19:26
I tried to replicate it but now it works.

Cessen
01-Dec-10, 20:59
For those who want to write their own rig types, I've made a brief run-down here:
http://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/py/scripts/addons/rigify/README?revision=1214&root=bf-extensions&view=markup

I won't claim that it's fantastic documentation, because it's not. But hopefully in combination with looking at the rig types that already exist it will be enough to get people started (presuming you already know python and the blender python api, of course).

EDIT:
For those who can't get to it due to not having a blender project's login, you can either register one, or wait for a recent build (it is simply a README file in the rigify directory).

Cessen
01-Dec-10, 21:20
3pointEdit:
Sounds/looks like a Blender bug?

Anton Ahlstrand:
I'm guessing you probably have transforms on your metarig. Clear all transforms on your metarig before fitting it to your character.

moley
02-Dec-10, 03:53
Anton Ahlstrand: The rig generates at the centre of the world. Select your mesh and hit Alt + G. If that doesn't work try selecting the generated rig and hitting Shift + S and choose 'Cursor to Selected' then select the mesh object and hit Shift + S again this time choose 'Selected to Cursor'. After doing that I'd advise selecting the mesh object and going to Object > Apply > Location.

ndee
09-Dec-10, 06:56
Hey Nathan,
are you also planning on doing a facerig template?
You need to look in this charakter rig (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=203955). The Facerig is completely based on bones! Really awsome. I could imagine that this may be also scriptable, where you have to set your facepoints.
This would be really awsome!

Greetings

Cessen
09-Dec-10, 08:09
are you also planning on doing a facerig template?

I may add certain components as rig types, but I don't intend to include a comprehensive face rig, no. That would be a project all its own, and would probably be better as a separate addon. Rigify is better for things that can be easily broken down into relatively independent component building blocks.

ndee
09-Dec-10, 08:20
ok, thanks for your answer.
I agree.. facerigging is such a complex subject for itself :)

Cessen
09-Dec-10, 08:38

Heh... yeah, and that's the other thing: I don't really feel qualified to make such a system. I'm still a total newbie at face rigging. I'm only just now starting to feel like I'm beginning to maybe know what I'm doing sort of. Face rigging is a huge topic all unto itself.

Unhurdof
09-Dec-10, 09:11
Heh... yeah, and that's the other thing: I don't really feel qualified to make such a system. I'm still a total newbie at face rigging. I'm only just now starting to feel like I'm beginning to maybe know what I'm doing sort of. Face rigging is a huge topic all unto itself.

Hehe, it's funny you say that! The sticky lip demo you showed recently looks pretty awesome to me. Also, you should have a peek at Ryan Cushman's Open Source Rigging Scripts here. It includes a scripted face rigging/posing template system : http://vimeo.com/8272588

Edit: This one's probably better for viewing the facial bone features: http://vimeo.com/8997949

moley
10-Dec-10, 11:16
hey guys, just thought I'd mention here that I put up a video tut on how to use rigify and the meta-rig.

you can find it at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txl1X2WVX_E

bat3a
10-Dec-10, 19:52
hi and i got a problem, i would be thankful if you'd help me

when i rotate the armature (both on object mode and edit mode) and try to generate a rig it generates okay but the knee roll is still un effected by the rotation, is this a bug or bad using :)

also if deleted a bone from the spine and tried to generate it give me a error
here is error message:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7874/riger.jpg

Unhurdof
10-Dec-10, 21:22
Hi Moley, thanks for the tutorial/walkthrough. I left a message on youtube in the comments. Don't forget you can embed videos here in the forums now! Cheers.

Unhurdof
14-Dec-10, 21:10
ok, thanks for your answer.

Ndee, your recent facerig is wicked man. I've seen Paul Neale do it in Maya and Max before, but I think you're the first in Blender. Good good stuff man. Now I want to see some sliding skin effects. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

planaria
30-Dec-10, 05:04
what an amazing script this is, i was never that great at rigging and honestly never had time or inclination to really get better my rigs would sortof get the job done but not really. thanks you thank you thank you it saves so much time !!

heres a shot of what i got rigged with your script, its for an indie game i am helping out with called redeclipse

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7893/animprogress.jpg

Tea_Monster
30-Dec-10, 19:02
Absolutely Awesome, thank you so much!

ikeahloe
30-Dec-10, 23:00
was there something changed recently that changed the finger rig. with newest build i used, everything works except that the fingers are curled up and the controls don't do anything (scaling doesn't affect them).

if i move a rigify folder from an older build the fingers work fine

Tea_Monster
01-Jan-11, 14:14
I don't know if this has anything specifically to do with the rig itself, but suddenly, the character's hips have imploded.
http://i56.tinypic.com/5wco05.jpg
If I go to edit mode, all appears well. I am assuming it is something to do with the constraints, but I've never really worked with them. I can't move the legs apart in pose mode.

planaria
02-Jan-11, 06:36
so, i wasnt sure where to put this hopefully its ok to ask here.

im wondering if there is a way that rigify could make a proxy deformation armature when its creating the rig? the reason being that i am trying to use the rig to do animations for a game and the output of the humanoid character i am working on is at 320 bones which is way too much for the ingame character. i had the idea of just exporting the deformation bones, but the script writer isnt quite sure yet how to do that. so plan b is to somehow make a proxy armature that would just be the deform bones. biggest problem is i am just unsure how to do this myself.

anyways enough rambling, any help is appreciated thanks.

***Edit****

possible to make it so that the human meta rig is what drives the actual model, and the rigify armature drives the meta rig ?

Uncle Entity
02-Jan-11, 14:21
i had the idea of just exporting the deformation bones, but the script writer isnt quite sure yet how to do that.

if bone.name.startswith('DEF_'):
export_fn(bone)

Easy peasy...

almux
02-Jan-11, 14:34
I may add certain components as rig types, but I don't intend to include a comprehensive face rig, no. That would be a project all its own, and would probably be better as a separate addon. Rigify is better for things that can be easily broken down into relatively independent component building blocks.

I even can't begin to imaging the complexity of how the mesh's groups would have to find out which bone should be the leader of the dance!!!!!! More than one rig could just freak out because of that!...

ikeahloe
02-Jan-11, 22:32
i've done some more testing on a couple builds.

the finger rig is broken in the rigify included in all of the new linux builds.

I first noticed when my character was messed up. replacing the rigify folder with an older version works fine.

this is mainly to notify nathan. where is the right rigify bug report place?

can anyone else confirm this? i can only test linux builds at the moment, my apple laptop is being borrowed and my windows desktop is down until my new cpu/mobo come in.

planaria
03-Jan-11, 04:31
so i eventually got the script writer to do it based on layers, although i may have him do it based on what bone name starts with.

however now another problem comes up which brings me back to wanting a to use the meta rig as a proxy or some such thing. basically the hierarchy of the deformation bones is quite 'messed' up in the sense that it doesn't have a normal hierarchy that a more simple rig like the human meta rig has.

why is this a problem? mostly for stuff like rag dolls inside the game engine and also several other engine side animation controls like controlling the players aiming pitchangle and stuff related to splitting full body animations up so you can smoothly blend between diferent full body animations. anyways mostly just curious if anyone has any ideas for quick fixes or if its just a matter of doing a metric ton of constraints onto a more simple rig (will doing copy loc/rot constraints even work completely though?).

thanks for the help!

freen
03-Jan-11, 09:34
@planaria: FWIW, I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to use rigify on a game project, but am finding the rig generated from the templates a little bit heavy. I guess the trick is to learn to make our own rig types?

Akira_San
03-Jan-11, 10:22
I think this is great for, if you have to rig like 20 characters, but still for the main characters- its a process of testing :)

terrachild
03-Jan-11, 20:32
I'm using Rigify with 2.56 and I have a couple of problems.

I go into edit-mode with my meta and adjust the rig, and then when I "rigify" the size doesn't match up. Here's a pic, can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?
http://www.etfinder.net/forum_images/capture1.png

Sometimes it does match up, but I can't get the hand IK to work right. Here's a pic with the elbows bending the wrong way. I set the hands to 1 and one of the feet. The knees bend the correct way but not the elbows. What is wrong?
http://www.etfinder.net/forum_images/capture2.png

Thanks.

terrachild
03-Jan-11, 23:06
It appears problem #1 may be caused by scaling the whole rig before entering edit mode and adjusting the individual bones.
Does that sound correct?
I'm still stuck with problem #2. Elbows bending the wrong way.
Help!

ikeahloe
03-Jan-11, 23:07
i've done some more testing on a couple builds.

the finger rig is broken in the rigify included in all of the new linux builds.

I first noticed when my character was messed up. replacing the rigify folder with an older version works fine.

this is mainly to notify nathan. where is the right rigify bug report place?

can anyone else confirm this? i can only test linux builds at the moment, my apple laptop is being borrowed and my windows desktop is down until my new cpu/mobo come in.

update after trying some even NEWER builds it seems to have been fixed, thanks

hreichgott
05-Jan-11, 21:55
Hi,
I just downloaded 2.56, was happy to see rigify as an add-on, but I can't check the checkbox. I can enable every other add-on except rigify.
Saw that someone else had mentioned that problem in this thread, but I didn't see a solution.
thanks, hreichgott

ikeahloe
06-Jan-11, 01:34
Hi,
I just downloaded 2.56, was happy to see rigify as an add-on, but I can't check the checkbox. I can enable every other add-on except rigify.
Saw that someone else had mentioned that problem in this thread, but I didn't see a solution.
thanks, hreichgott

if it's not a pain try loading factory settings and see if that helps

hreichgott
06-Jan-11, 12:47
Thanks Ikeahloe.
Here's an odd thing. I loaded factory settings, accidentally clicked the checkbox twice, saw it check then uncheck, then could not re-check the box at all. Then I loaded factory settings again, closed Blender, opened Blender, checked the rigify box ONLY ONCE, and it worked.
Thanks lots, it works now!

Larryboy
08-Jan-11, 10:44
Ok so I'm confused. And my eyes gave up before I finished this entire thread looking for the answer.

When I parent my mesh to the rigify armature its fine but theres no constraints or IK. I find that looking at the armature layers that my mesh is parented to the bones in layer 18 that have no IK. There are bones in layer 19 that have constraints and IK but it seems to be a completely different armature from the one I'm parented too. I have tried parenting to these but it doesn't work.

Can anyone explain to me what I am seeing and how I parent my mesh to the bones with constraints?
Thanks

freen
09-Jan-11, 03:58
Can anyone explain to me what I am seeing and how I parent my mesh to the bones with constraints?
Thanks

Easy: you don't. You parent the mesh to the deformation rig, that is all the bones starting with DEF. Rigify makes a a python script that sets up the N menu GUI for you, including the FK/IK sliders. Run that, then select the hand/foot/whatever, and there should be an FK/IK slider.
One of the points of rigify is that you don't have to worry about setting up constraints.

Larryboy
09-Jan-11, 10:24
Hello Freen, thanks for your answer.
I feel a bit stupid but I don't see the sliders.
I am using 256a on windows XP. I ADD the human armature from the menu, Move it to one side. Press generate and get the rigify rig. but no siders. here is a picture of what I get without applying the mesh.
http://www.weedyworld.co.uk/blender/rigify.jpg

freen
10-Jan-11, 07:46
Rigify makes a a python script that sets up the N menu GUI for you, including the FK/IK sliders. Run that...

read. then reread.

thelowlander
10-Jan-11, 11:09
to run the python script you have to have a text window open. Press ctrl + rightarrow to go to a different screen, (the gamelogic and scripting screens have a text window by default) select the script rig_ui.py, and click run script in the header (you may need to enlargen the text window or scroll to the side in the header.

ikeahloe
10-Jan-11, 16:52
Thanks Ikeahloe.
Here's an odd thing. I loaded factory settings, accidentally clicked the checkbox twice, saw it check then uncheck, then could not re-check the box at all. Then I loaded factory settings again, closed Blender, opened Blender, checked the rigify box ONLY ONCE, and it worked.
Thanks lots, it works now!

awesome, but of course there's obviously something else going on. i've seen what you're talking about. it should looked at i think

Larryboy
13-Jan-11, 09:14
Hey Freen and FreakyDude. Thanks for the extra detail. Hopefully it will help someone else that gets stumped like me.

lastphoenixstud
14-Jan-11, 20:54
So, do I just run all the python files in the .zip file or... what?
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200371

zeauro
15-Jan-11, 08:09
Just unzip, install add-on and enable it in User preferences.

When pressing Generate button, Properties panel is added at the end of N column for specific bones what use IK/FK.

Unhurdof
20-Jan-11, 03:03
A Japanese blender user who goes by the name of khuuyj,has created an enhancement for rigify which adds a facial setup.

It appears to be quite flexible in that, with another software named UTAU which is also free, it even may automate lipsyncing much the way that papagayo does. (It may be very vocaloid-ish and synthetic at the moment...but perhaps more tweaking could unlock broader possiblities)

Most of the download page is translated, but if more translation is needed, you can always use google translate.

The beauty of a setup like this is that it would allow for transfering phonemes between characters with dis-similar topologies, much the way poses can be applied to characters with dis-similar topologies who share the same armature.

http://sites.google.com/site/khuuyjblend/home/blender/script/face-bone-tool

http://vimeo.com/18954323

http://vimeo.com/18954435

ndee
20-Jan-11, 03:41
Well, this looks quite awsome!!!
But where to put the python file? I don't get the ui elements that are shown in the video!

**EDIT**
got the right path!

Put your file in here: 2.56\scripts\addons\rigify\rigs

Ayoub_M
20-Jan-11, 10:22
hi Nathan , I want to ask you about something, could u make a tutorial or tell us how did u combine the wings rigg of the dragon in Sintel and the cloth sim , I saw in sintel.org that u had hug problems with that but the final result was really satisfying

ristesekuloski
20-Jan-11, 12:59
This is an amazing development! I can't wait to play with this!

A Japanese blender user who goes by the name of khuuyj,has created an enhancement for rigify which adds a facial setup.

It appears to be quite flexible in that, with another software named UTAU which is also free, it even may automate lipsyncing much the way that papagayo does. (It may be very vocaloid-ish and synthetic at the moment...but perhaps more tweaking could unlock broader possiblities)

Most of the download page is translated, but if more translation is needed, you can always use google translate.

The beauty of a setup like this is that it would allow for transfering phonemes between characters with dis-similar topologies, much the way poses can be applied to characters with dis-similar topologies who share the same armature.

http://sites.google.com/site/khuuyjblend/home/blender/script/face-bone-tool

http://vimeo.com/18954323

http://vimeo.com/18954435

khuuyj
21-Jan-11, 08:05
Addon Blender is recognized as a label in the official release "bl_addon_info", "bl_info" in SVN latest source has become.
In a GraphicAll.org build, there are both version.

As a temporary measure, I put two labels (if not in use should be ignored.) .
As before 2.49b , if you copy the script to the "Script folder" specified in the File menu, Addon it to work without registration.

ZedDB
22-Jan-11, 04:26
Awesome khuuyj! I hope this gets included in the rigify plugin. It's really helpful and makes rigify even more complete. Keep up the good work! :)

almux
23-Jan-11, 06:31
Will there be some tutorial(s) about how to tweak the bones, in order to get Rigify Auto-rigging work with non-human shapes (spiders, aliens, squids, etc.)?
Upon what i read, the main problem could rely on naming the bones, respectively on how naming the extra-bones (additional articulations and members, and thus).

batFINGER
31-Jan-11, 12:44
Hi,

This is only a suggestion / observation and it sure is "no biggy".

When i first saw the add-on rigify I related it to the word rigid and thought it was "rijify" and was to make something well stiff/solid. Perhaps "riggify" would have avoided my confusion.

PLyczkowski
06-Mar-11, 14:39
Hey there. Thanks so much for Rigify, it's amazing. One question: There are object that you can scale and they bend the whole finger. But in my rig, they don't move the first finger bone, even though it has the same, as far as I know, IPO driver. Is it supposed to be like that? How can I change that?

Cessen
07-Mar-11, 15:51
There are object that you can scale and they bend the whole finger. But in my rig, they don't move the first finger bone, even though it has the same, as far as I know, IPO driver. Is it supposed to be like that? How can I change that?

It is supposed to be like that, yes. You rotate the first bone by rotating the control bone, not scaling. The scaling is supposed to only affect the bones after the first.

PLyczkowski
07-Mar-11, 16:14
Ok, thanks, thought something was broken. I'm getting used to it now, so I think I won't be changing that.

ChillyGuess
08-Mar-11, 04:31
Hi Cessen, if possible can you look at this blend (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_bIBxk650MpOTFmMzY0OTItNmRmNi00NWE0LWEzZ DktMmQ4M2U1YWRiYjU2&hl=en) file.

Each time I add a meta-rig (human) and press rigify, its doing its thing and all works fine.

But as soon as I went back to the original armature bones to tweak something. I delete the rigify-generated bones (as well as the WGT-VIS groups). I press rigify and blender simply crashes.

Now you probably think I shouldn't have deleted the groups, yet how do I now get the armature back to its original state (without crashing each time I press rigify)?

Rename to .blend (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_bIBxk650MpOTFmMzY0OTItNmRmNi00NWE0LWEzZ DktMmQ4M2U1YWRiYjU2&hl=en)

William
08-Mar-11, 04:43
I'm a huge fan of Rigify. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Cessen, you're awesome!

However, the current version seems to have an issue with the latest Blender versions:

The fingers don't work - they curl all the way up, and the scale bone doesn't work. When moving the character around, the fingers flip all over the place.

Cessen
08-Mar-11, 14:52
Hey guys, thanks for the bug reports! I'll take a look after I've got the new ik/fk snapping feature (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=210101) finished.

Cessen
11-Mar-11, 01:00
ChillyGuess:
I cannot download the blend file you linked, and I also cannot reproduce your bug on my own. I am getting no crashes with a recent build from SVN.

William:
Similarly, I cannot reproduce you issue. Can you send me a blend file?

dagobert
12-Mar-11, 13:13
hello,
Just to let you know that i try to use your rig for an animated short serie.
I dont know if it s usefull but i did some changes :
i put the ik fk switch into the clavicles. and set drivers to hide the bones so as to only see the ik control in ik mode and the the fk control to fk mode. for the 2 legs i put the control at the hip circle with the same function. I also try to set up a global driver so as disable all the drivers on the hide functions. like that you can show all bones if you want too.
By the way send me a pm to know your day work price we will may be need you (and i would enjoy that).
cheers

PLyczkowski
12-Mar-11, 13:30
@dagobert (http://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?u=12685) Hey, could you show a screenshot of your driver that hides ik/fk bones? I'd love to see that.

dagobert
12-Mar-11, 14:42
well it s not very complicated.
0 show, 1 hide
0 ik, 1 fk
and to inverse just add -1 into the expanded polynomial.

Cessen
12-Mar-11, 15:48
By the way send me a pm to know your day work price we will may be need you (and i would enjoy that).

I am not immediately available for work, as I have two contracts that I expect will last for the next 1 or 2 months. But please feel free to email me at [email protected] and we can figure something out. :-)

Just to let you know that i try to use your rig for an animated short serie.
I dont know if it s usefull but i did some changes :
i put the ik fk switch into the clavicles. and set drivers to hide the bones so as to only see the ik control in ik mode and the the fk control to fk mode. for the 2 legs i put the control at the hip circle with the same function. I also try to set up a global driver so as disable all the drivers on the hide functions. like that you can show all bones if you want too.

If you want access to the IK/FK switch on the clavicles you can simply add the clavicle bone names to the part of the UI script that determined which bones it shows up on. Same for any other slider control on the rig.

Personally, I prefer not to have any of the controls be auto-hidden. I simply put them on different layers so I can directly control when do/don't want to see them.

Controls for hiding different parts of the character mesh, though, would be very cool. I may get around to that at some point. In the mean time, it is not difficult to set up manually using mask modifiers.

ChillyGuess
12-Mar-11, 15:58
ChillyGuess:
I cannot download the blend file you linked, and I also cannot reproduce your bug on my own. I am getting no crashes with a recent build from SVN.

I figured out a workaround, but I've put up the file on rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/452237526/2011-02-13_Chilly_G-rigify-justcrashes.blend).

It might be because I used a combination of the FAce Rigify as well as Rigify. So I ended up making another 'head' bone as a separate armature, and created the face rigify before combining both...

dagobert
13-Mar-11, 01:35
The auto hide feature was asked by the animator, maybe because the fk and ik control got the same size so it s hard to select. I ll check for the script. i m not very good at coding. but it s never to late to start. I did not think about the mask modifier. don t event know it work for bones. it would be a lot simpler.
By the way how do you do to search or select a bone. the outliner can search bone only if everything is expanded. and usually when i expand eveything i find the bone without doing a search... But it take some time. I might miss a short cut to expand all hierarchie.
Will let you know if we got the serie starting after the trailer.

dagobert
13-Mar-11, 05:46
I m just experiencing a small bug. In the MCH-neck.02 i have a copy transform named head and when i rotate the hips on X the head flip on the right. I can disable the constraint. but i dont now how it is usefull.

I just edit because you made my day! there is still the bug but thanks to your expression i did learn how to do a if else scripted constraint!
So i can have an ik fk switch that also switch the visibility, and a global switcht that overide visibility.

mikshaw
13-Mar-11, 09:39
@ChillyGuess
I don't know if this is related, but I had what I think is a similar issue. After breaking a rigify rig, I removed it, and subsequent rigs, whether rigified or manual, would slow Blender to a crawl or crash it even after triple-checking that all previous bones and parents and constraints were cleared out. It turns out that leftover vertex groups still existed, and everything was fine after they were deleted.

Cessen
13-Mar-11, 15:08
I figured out a workaround, but I've put up the file on rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/452237526/2011-02-13_Chilly_G-rigify-justcrashes.blend).

It might be because I used a combination of the FAce Rigify as well as Rigify. So I ended up making another 'head' bone as a separate armature, and created the face rigify before combining both...

Thanks for the file. I can reproduce it now. I'll see what I can figure out. Given that it is crashing Blender, and not just the rigify script, I'm guessing it's a subtle bug elsewhere in Blender. But I'll try to isolate it and file a bug report.

@mikshaw:
Do you have a file where I can reproduce that?

dagobert
14-Mar-11, 04:00
I upload the "bug" (http://lemonet.free.fr/demo/cessenBug.blend) .
the constraint that cause it, is in MCH-neck.02, the one named head.
By the way if you know how to select a bone for a given name?Because it s a pain to select this one in the vue.

mikshaw
14-Mar-11, 12:27
@mikshaw:
Do you have a file where I can reproduce that?

NOTE: this is on my home server, so I'm going to be deleting the file and removing this URL very soon
(baleeted)

This is the file that I had problems with. I had removed the rig from this version, but the vertex groups were still there, so I just threw in a human meta-rig for a test. Sure enough, as soon as the meshes were parented to the armature, everything slowed down dramatically. I saved and zipped the file, and hope it doesn't cause you trouble =o)

Blender 2.56 r34074, Debian Wheezy

Cessen
14-Mar-11, 21:45
Thanks mikshaw! Got the file. I'll take a look when I can spare the time.

Cessen
14-Mar-11, 22:55
@ChillyGuess:
I isolated the problem, and indeed it is not rigify. Go into pose mode and try to rename the 'ribs' bone. It crashes. That's all rigify was trying to do. I'll file a bug report, with your file.

EDIT:
Here is the bug: https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=26507&group_id=9&atid=498

Meta-Androcto
15-Mar-11, 04:50
Hi,
Cessen, are you aware of or any plans to incorperate this:
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/01/24/auto-facial-rig-add-on/
that would be cool. ;)

ross_m
15-Mar-11, 07:06
Cessen, this is great work. Thanks.

I am trying to use rigify for a monkey character I want to develop. This has neccesitated adding a tail (I just used finger bones and added about 4 more), and feet that are actually hands. I have tried adding biped legs and then adding fingers to them. That seemed to upset things considerably, so I added two more arms and used those for the legs and feet. Everything works almost OK. The resulting finger bones don't quite match up with the meta rig bones, and for some reason the right hand thumb (on the hand, not the foot) doesn't get any 'MCH', 'DEF' or control bones. I'm just posting FYI. Are there any plans for quadruped rigs?

dagobert
15-Mar-11, 08:55
did you look at the file I upload?
http://lemonet.free.fr/demo/cessenBug.blend

Cessen
15-Mar-11, 18:21
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the bug reports. I don't have time to address all of them right now, but I will get to them in due time.

@Meta-Androcto:
There are no plans to add comprehensive facial auto-rigging to Rigify, no. I will, however, at some point probably add some common rig types that I frequently use in facial rigging. And I may eventually add a FACS-based setup, but all the shape keys would have to be sculpted manually, so it would be more a convenience function than auto-rigging.

In any case, these are more long-term plans anyway (unless someone pays me to do them now... wink wink).

ChillyGuess
16-Mar-11, 00:27
@ChillyGuess:
I isolated the problem, and indeed it is not rigify. Go into pose mode and try to rename the 'ribs' bone. It crashes. That's all rigify was trying to do. I'll file a bug report, with your file.

EDIT:
Here is the bug: https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=26507&group_id=9&atid=498

Cheers dude. :)

ChillyGuess
16-Mar-11, 00:29
Hi,
Cessen, are you aware of or any plans to incorperate this:
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/01/24/auto-facial-rig-add-on/
that would be cool. ;)

Dude that's what I was playing with... you can easily use both. Create a separate armature, name the bone 'head' then Face Rigify it. Then all you do is combine the results with the Rigify setup and wah lah... done. :P

bat3a
22-Mar-11, 08:31
hi cessen: when i duplicate a rigify generated rig and select the fingers scale bar and scale it, it also scales the original rig, i think that's because of the drivers, is there a tip on how to duplicate with drivers?

waylow
22-Mar-11, 11:00
that is because the script is working on the rig that has the "rig ID" property

try changing the custom property called "rig ID"of the 2nd rig
and then duplicate the script but change the "rig ID" line to whatever you called the property

that should work, but I haven't tested it with 2 rigs before

bat3a
22-Mar-11, 16:01
and then duplicate the script where is this script :)

waylow
23-Mar-11, 00:28
rigify creates a text file called "rig_UI"

it is in the text window
(make sure you run the script after you duplicate and edit it)

bat3a
23-Mar-11, 11:30
@waylow: i did exactly that but no use, the original rig is still controlling the other and the other stopped working on it self !!!!

Cessen
24-Mar-11, 01:18
If the drivers do not properly duplicate when you duplicate the rig, then it is a Blender problem rather than a Rigify problem. Please file a bug report.

waylow
24-Mar-11, 01:44
Hmm, it seems that it works for the rig layers, but the rig properties still point to drivers that control the original rig

I don't know an automatic way of changing the targets of the drivers...but the long way is to select each driver of the 2nd rig

and changing the "single Property" object from Rig1 to Rig2
then make sure you click update drivers

that make sense?

(it will probably be easier to have the 2 rigs linked in from separate working files)

bat3a
24-Mar-11, 07:02
Please file a bug report. can i show you sample 1st before submitting a bug :):
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/5711

and changing the "single Property" object from Rig1 to Rig2
then make sure you click update driversi'm doing some crowed animation, and you can imagine how crazy it would be to change the drivers for each character :D

waylow
24-Mar-11, 21:19
can i show you sample 1st before submitting a bug :):
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/5711

i'm doing some crowed animation, and you can imagine how crazy it would be to change the drivers for each character :D

the easiest/best way of doing a crowd shot would be to set up each character in there own blend file
make sure it's all working correctly, rename the rig_UI.py to something more relevant like YourCharacterName_UI.py

do that for every character
then start a fresh file and link in all your characters and link each rig_UI.py script for each character separately (you can't group text files in a group)
then create a proxy for you rigs and start animating away

but as for the driver issue, that is a bug
blender copies the rig and the drivers all fine, but the driver targets should be copied to the new object name, but they are sticking with the old name
there is nothing Nathan can do to rigify that will fix this

bat3a
25-Mar-11, 00:15
i'll file a bug report.

bat3a
25-Mar-11, 04:00
ok :D that was fast, the bug has been fixed but i didn't checked it yet,
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=35772

waylow
25-Mar-11, 04:52
don't you just love campbell :)

I'll test it tomorrow

(but you will still have to duplicate the script and edit it for each character)

_ben_
25-Mar-11, 07:20
Just wanted to say how fantastic riggify is. I've been using it a lot recently and it does a fantastic job.

Cessen
26-Mar-11, 01:06
_ben_: Cool! Glad to hear that it's useful to other people. :-) Do you have anything you can show?

bat3a
27-Mar-11, 17:22
i tried it and is OK, although i have to reduplicate the rigs again, one new problem arises, my shapekeys broke i tried the revive disabled f-curves function and didn't do any good, any tips will be welcome.

waylow
27-Mar-11, 22:19
did you try linking you characters to a new file?

bat3a
28-Mar-11, 02:24
did you try linking you characters to a new file? no i didn't but i checked all my files which contains a shapekeys and is all broken, it seems the last mods from cambell broke it i'll check more and report a bug if necessary.

_ben_
28-Mar-11, 16:14
@Cessen: See here (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?213167-Free-Rig-Plus-Potential-Job-Opportunity).

ChillyGuess
28-Apr-11, 04:43
Hey guys, sorry bump old(ish) thread. But I've revisited the rigify based on the official 2.57a release and it works fine except i cant seem to get the IK working for both the hands and feet. Reproduce by simply using the defaults and u can see the arm isn't bending when you move IK hand or feet.

Edit: Oh never mind. Just realized that's what the snapping IK buttons are for. :o

BTolputt
28-Apr-11, 21:04
@ChillyGuess:
Actually, the snapping is for something else (while still incredibly useful). If you want immediate IK feedback, then you need to turn the IK strength on the desired arm up. Select the IK control in question (foot, hand, whatever) and in the properties view (righthand panel of 3D window) a slider will show up - use this to control the blending between FK & IK. By default I believe IK is turned completely off - hence your inability to see the arm move until you are snapping the FK bones to the IK.