PDA

View Full Version : GSoC Wishlist

Pages : [1] 2

LetterRip
29-Feb-12, 20:32
Hi all, I'm working on our GSoC application again this year. Part of that is a wishlist.

Would be interested in where you think Blender needs the most 'polish' still for your daily work needs.

When you respond do 'Area - Suggestion'
Ie 'Sculpt Modeling - faster multires level changing, higher poly count, faster smooth brush'

Here are the categories. You can also provide links to relevant research papers if you are aware of any. Note that these won't necessarily go on the ideas page that we submit for gsoc, but they will be added to the pool of things we consider.

BMesh Modeling
Sculpt Modeling
NURBS Modeling
Retopologizing
UV Unwrapping
Paint Texturing
Rigging
Skinning
Animating
Visual Effects
Lighting
Shading
Rendering
Compositing
Motion Tracking
Fluid Simulation
Hard Physics Simulation
Cloth Simulation
Particle Simulation
Scripting
Video Sequencer
Import/Export
Asset Management
Game Engine
Interface

Jonathan L
29-Feb-12, 20:46
Well ill keep it simple, and my biggest wishes are:

Fluid Simulation-no jagged edges

Smoke Simulation-(not a topic I see?)-No jagged edges(occurs usually only when working with fire. Smoke works fine), texturing smoke by the time it has been alive

Particle Simulation-Reactor particles like in 2.49

As you can see, I do a lot in simulation, and honestly I think that if these were polished in Blender, than it would look way way more professional because that is IMHO what is holding it back quite a bit. Also it seems like these things should be very useful in the open movie projects.

stargeizer
29-Feb-12, 22:42
In no particular order:

- Update modeling tools: Now that Bmesh is in trunk, maybe a student can add, update and modernize the existing tools in Blender, since it seems Campbell and Co. will be pretty busy due to Mango: Add tools like inset, bevel, bridge, etc to the core, fix some broken and/or restore some removed tools from 2.4x series. (Sure, we'll know that ender79 and HowardT are doing some work on some of these, but still a full time working student can do additional things).

- Bring Blender to the New Millenium by updating the old, wise, proven but nowadays slow and aged OpenGL engine (From the viewpoint of Videocards makers anyways ;) ). Sure, it sounds nice, but maybe i'm asking too much for 2 months of work. Anyways, is a known fact that newer video cards are nice machines to toy with... except when hardware manufacturers introduce some bias in them to force users to buy their expensive line to develop or do art on them. Maybe as a minimum should be fix the problems with selection, display modelling speed, and of course the student should have access to these nice Intel cards that comes with these nice machines with these nice Core I7 advertised as the most powerfull machines in the known Earth... (sarcasm FTW!...) to try to make Blender work on these. (reading again what i wrote makes me think i'm asking too much... ;) )

- Retopologizing Tools (imagine the voice of the mentor of Dungeon keeper 2): Upon once a time, there was a student, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind, that proposed and worked on a project that would bring upon Blender the automatic retopo tool. The idea was to make a sculpt model, draw some control points and press a button to have a mesh with a nice topology, and be editable afterwards, or add more control points and refine results again. This was left unfinished, maybe somebody want to complete it... (also, the retopo hell problem could be solved...)

- Polish, update and bring the Avocado Branch from GSOC 2011 to Trunk, since Bmesh is already here.

- Make the outliner more usefull. It can be more functional than nowadays is. I think many artists can give some ideas about it, and the forum have quite some of these.

- IF somebody wants a real challenge, rewrite parts of Blender Internal using OpenCL. 'nuff said. (well.. is true that Cycles will replace it in the due time, but biased noiseless renders can still be used, and the faster, the better)

- Insert your crazy idea here...

FreeMind
01-Mar-12, 00:07
My ideas for GSOC projects:

1) Bmesh Modeling. What I'd really like in blender is Modeling and snapping tools to make blender as good for precise modeling as autocad.
Particularly:
When drawing a line, you should be able to input a precise length of the line, and then a precise direction according to view. The ability to input the lenght by inputing two point positions. How it works now: You can input the line length by writing it in, but the direction can only go on XYZ axes.
Multiple Ngon holes in Ngon faces.
Cad like snapping tools. Snapping to more places, such as the middle edge, perpendicular, polar, ortho, parallel, intersection, etc... And the ability to turn more then one of these snapping rules on. The ability to set the hotspot - The 3D point that should be snapping (Right now Blender chooses a vertex posistion by distance)... Perhaps the 3D cursor can be the snapping hotspot, so the 3D cursor should also follow snapping rules, so to avoid such things as going through menus to Snap cursor to vertex.
Cad like modeling tools: Trim, extend, offset, mirror by user input (A point, Two points, three points), etc. And also, a tool that makes a vertex where two edges touch each other.
Measurement tools.

I find it impossible to model precise things in blender. I can only make it approximate. So that's that.

2) Interface. 3D view Beautifying. Such things as preselection highlighting, gradient backgrounds, more ways to display object selection (Right now it draws an outline, but drawing a bounding box instead should also be an option), partially transparent wireframe drawing on solid. And so on... Should be quite an easy project to do.

3) Has no category, but a 3D view drawing refactor would be really awesome. Blender 3D view can handle less polygons then many other similar software.

- IF somebody wants a real challenge, rewrite parts of Blender Internal using OpenCL. 'nuff said. (well.. is true that Cycles will replace it in the due time, but biased noiseless renders can still be used, and the faster, the better)

Or give Cycles the ability to do biased noiseless renders. And it should be able to do that in due time, because it can't replace BI unless it conquers all the advantages BI has.

doublebishop
01-Mar-12, 00:21
Atmosphere Enhancements... is a big one

First up, is the sky texture... At the moment it doesnt really emit any light, and you cant change the sun size... and you cant change the colour of the sky or sun without having to hook in more nodes or messing with the turbidity...

Atmosphere clouds... This is a big one, but it would be awesome to be able to have it like vue where we can just add in cloud layers and be able to change each of their parameters individually...

Mist / haze, falloff colour and blur... this really helps the realism for environment renders...

Texture enhancements
would be cool to get some procedual texture nodes, such as cracks, bricks, dirt, etc.etc. being able to be procedually generated

Cycle Enhancements
Multithreaded BVH building, Motion Blur support, Fur Rendering, Particle colour rendering (like what BI has, where you can have a different colour per particle generated), HDR textures (this one may make it in soonish), Volumetric rendering, lens flairs (could be a compositor node?), atmospheres (as mentioned above)

SamCameron
01-Mar-12, 01:24
Crowd simulations please! this can be obtain by pushing a little bit more the actual particle system (boids), but actually it's a little bit limited in some ways how the particles work in Blender, also I don't know why there's some rigid body, soft body and even a demolition simulators without being finished, it's a real shame, here's some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipmCMdKVxXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YIafaqF7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIPu9_OGFgc

Hoverkraft
01-Mar-12, 02:02
Whatever get's worked on the most important thing is that it's stuff that actually ends up in Blender. I don't know the reason half of the GSOC projects end up as a dead end but it would be nice if there were some steps taken beforehand to make best use of this valuable resource.

rebellion
01-Mar-12, 02:03
-Improve 3d viewport shading like 3D max
-things like bake AO on vertex color
-Retopologizing
-Dynamic retopology like sculptris or Zbrush
-add some new sculpt tools
-Asset Management: with library for material, mesh, texture, material cap for sculpt mode
-and vertex normal editing
-improve the import/export for UDK

i want to be game developer and i think this things speed up a lot the workflof of creation of asset.

jpb06
01-Mar-12, 02:10
Vue was mentioned but atmospherics are not a 2 months job, they are a large project.

Something that might be a 2 months project would be to add to Blender a dedicated terrain primitive in the spirit of POV-Ray heightfield :yes:. Heightfields are internally very different from meshes because they store only the height at each vertex or quad center, so they are very memory economical (x and y coordinates can be inferred from cell indexes, cell size and heightfield location); you can easily deal with 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 matrices; there are also some known efficient algorithms for doing raytracing on them.

If anybody is interested, please pester me. Rendering landascapes is my obsession since POV-Ray 3.1 in 1997 (and using fractals to generate them dates back to 1987 :eek:); in addition, I am a Vue Infinite subscriber.

mikksu
01-Mar-12, 02:32
Sculpt Modeling - unlimited clay, new brushes like reduce brush, dynamic retopology
Animating - object select in action editor, groups in action editor

Piotr Adamowicz
01-Mar-12, 02:43
In general I'm mostly interested in game engine content creation.

1. Baking:
- cage
- cavity
- custom shaders
- Cycles lightmaps
- higher non-multires polycounts
- speedup
- Improved ui. Set object groups and target textures, press a button, get all passes you want already saved to disk.

2. Retopo:
- Better tools for manual retopo. Much more important than any automatic method.
- Solve the age-old occlusion problem so that we can see what we're doing...

3. Texturing:
- Overlays
- Layers (like in photoshop, with blending and combining. Just let me use the damn texture node stuff in painting.)
- multiple textures at once (bump+paint)
- better brushes (what happened to mypaint brush integration?)
- normal painting
- cavity modulation
- modulation with any custom (GLSL?) shader
- I could go on and on...

UV Editing:
- multiple objects at a time. better support for atlases.

Modelling:
- M0AR T000Lz!!@! (that's already being worked on thanks to Bmesh) ;)

LetterRip
01-Mar-12, 02:51
Hi feel free to add categories that I missed, those were off the top of my head.

Big Fan
01-Mar-12, 03:32
Textures: SVG textures, Ptex, :D
Svg has been done before and needs updating.
Ptex was fairly well done and needs finishing I think.

Edit: 3dview gradient background, was done needs incorporating. Must be a few things like that that need rescuing.
Someone could make a project out of finishing a number of these things off.

Dorro
01-Mar-12, 04:06
Freestyle - edge intersection & nodes for compositor, NPR/toon/hatching shaders for Cycles, brush engine integration for painting (and shaders?)

FreeMind
01-Mar-12, 04:40
Replace current value driver system with a node based system.
That would be awesome.

arexma
01-Mar-12, 04:44
All in all: polish existing stuff, and don't make to much new fancy features.

Dear Santa:

Viewport:
Performance overhaul
Display procedural textures
Stencil/Buffershadows from all lamps in viewport for better feedback on lighting setups.
Better GLSL feedback on materials - although Cycles RT is nice you can't preview an animation in it for instance.

Scultping:
Dynamic topology
Guided Retopology
Improve brush management
->Viewport -> GLSL shaders for better sculpting feedback... e.g. cavity shaders

Bmesh:
Bmesh polygons and quads handleable as triangles with turnable diagonals while Blender treats them as quads or polygons.
Knive, Cut, Bevel, Inset tools

Physics+Simulation:
OpenCL + Bullet integration into the viewport, no more baking for ages and no more recording IPOs from the game engine, which has become a neglected stepchild anyways. Springs, gravity etc. for Armatures :D
OpenCL integration for smoke, cloth and liquid.

Particles:
OpenCL integration for particles and seperation+fixing of dynamic Hair

Texture Paint:
Paint layers (like MikeW's addon)
preview of a texture brush on the mesh and the ability to rotate it and set the center
Improve texture management. It's horrible not to be able to load a texture as brush directly in paint mode and discard it once you're done.

Rendering:
Proper Lightmap baking
Well, manpower for Cycles to get it feature complete and optimize the performance.
"Liaison GSoCodie" to sit between BF + external renderer devs and work out a API URD.

Modifiers:
A terrain modifier creating a triangulated hexagonal mesh, with a voronoi biome/topology generation algorithm with perlin edgedisplacement to create small islands or the usual fractal methods + heightmap paint in the viewport to create landscapes, moisture function, errosion, add water, dry and most important an adaptive LOD controller where you can drive the LOD e.g. with the camera distance (->replace geometry with pre-baked normalmaps) and control the LOD for the texturemaps.
I think that'd be a very intresting one for Students, looked into myself already and can provide some links and papers.

Rendering/Texturing:
Maybe someone's intrested in doing something like Photosculpt or Shadermap pro, to generate normal maps and/or geometry from image references.
Another think I looked into myself already, but hard to find informations, it almost seems as if all the normal map generation algorithms are based on edge detection and the rest are undocumented, made up guesstimation algorithms of some sort.

Someone finish/improve the network render, also incorporating distributed multiGPU cycles and distributed tile rendering in the original planned fashion, so that F12 renderings are done distributed on the slaves in tiles and the master you're working on reports once the rendering is ready and pops it up on confirmation.

Materials/Asset management:
Something like Allegorithmics Substances, where you can store predefined procedural materials, like soil for instance and have sliders to add water or snow, and save out tilable diffuse, normal, displacement, specular and occlusion maps.
The material node system is already there to achieve it.

A server system, maybe SQL based to setup a local service/daemon to handle a libary for models, materials, textures

Animation:
Node based drivers

blaize
01-Mar-12, 05:17
- Integration of bullet into viewport. Link (http://www.aligorith.blogspot.com/) (bullet already has opencl support, so that would be cool to include)

- Polish Bmesh/bmesh tools

- OpenCL for particles

- Integrate fracture tools from Phymec Link (http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7707)

So basicly finish/integrate existing projects instead of adding new and fancy features from scratch. adding completely new stuff will only make it harder for blender to be fully stable.

doublebishop
01-Mar-12, 05:24
- Integration of bullet into viewport. Link (http://www.aligorith.blogspot.com/) (bullet already has opencl support, so that would be cool to include)

Bullet intergration into the viewport was done back in 2010... but never was committed due to blender being in 2.5 alpha 0

Cessen
01-Mar-12, 05:25
Rendering - motion blur in cycles

Though maybe this is best left to Brecht. Still... as an animator, this is the one thing keeping me from using cycles seriously. (Of course, other people have other priorities, I realize.)

blaize
01-Mar-12, 05:28
Bullet intergration into the viewport was done back in 2010... but never was committed due to blender being in 2.5 alpha 0

I know, so that's what i'm proposing to add it.
And in the progress other things can be added as i'm sure time will allow it. (like opencl support)

fobsta
01-Mar-12, 05:32
Interface - can we have coloured wireframes in the viewports? Wireframe colours defined by user

Interface - improved layer management. User defined layer names and colours.

Interface - optional viewport rotation locking. This would stop user from accidentally rotating view and having to manually reset it. Would still allow zooming and panning.

Hard Physics Simulation - bullet integration throughout Blender and not just in Game Engine.

Scripting - word completion and dictionary(s) in text editor.

thanks for reading

d.viagi
01-Mar-12, 05:35
Texture paint - photoshop (gimp) layers, like mudbox, maxon bodypaint 3D

HiRes
01-Mar-12, 05:44
rewrite BI: more features e speed...
because cycles is cool but biased is better...and faster...

JordiArt
01-Mar-12, 05:47
Most of the features are listed enough, but i must agree specially with all the texture painting related ones, and the bmesh modelling overhault of course.

Benni-chan
01-Mar-12, 05:56
Time for wishes :)

In fact I currently have only one wish. But maybe it's to big for GSoC:

Fisheye Camera:
This is the main thing I'm currently missing in my workflow. I'm using some tricks, to get to a result, which is ok, but not great.
Here are some Informations about equiangular fisheye projektion:
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/domefisheye/fisheye/
http://wiki.panotools.org/Fisheye_Projection
http://the-witness.net/news/2011/01/adventures-in-fisheye-lenses/

Reasons for this wish:
1. Fisheye Images with 180° FoV or more are used in digital planetarium projections
2. a fisheye camera gives an artist yet another great tool for a visual effect

current workarounds:
1. mirrored sphere
2. multiple cameras + panorama tools to stitch
(both workarounds have disadvantages)

I had planned, to look into this myself, but maybe there is someone out there with more knowhow.

nicholasbishop
01-Mar-12, 06:11
A quick note: "make 'XYZ' faster" is usually not a good GSoC project.

blend_B
01-Mar-12, 06:20
rewrite BI: more features e speed...
because cycles is cool but biased is better...and faster...cycles will be biased.

cycles is not like Luxrender. cycles will be a biased raytracer

ndee
01-Mar-12, 06:20
Game Engine -
1. Rendering Speedup would be awesome!
2. Blenderplayer port for mobile devices(ie. Android, IOS(Don't know if open source works well with the appstore))
The Blender Game Engine has already a lot of features! And it is definately possible to create high quality content now!
I think a next important step is to publish those content on mobile devices! Thats the future!!!
I don't know if such a project can be achieved within the gsoc, but I would love to see developement into this direction!

Thanks for your attention! Great to here, that the community is involved into this projects!

blend_B
01-Mar-12, 06:22
was there any work done on retopology tools in 2011? i remember that there were some problems because bmehs was not finished. since bmesh will be out in summer 2012 what about some retopology tools? for example detailed painting.

Dorro
01-Mar-12, 06:22
Bump viewport/BGL to OpenGL 3.3 or better yet 4.2.

TweakingKnobs
01-Mar-12, 06:24

zeauro
01-Mar-12, 06:28
@ rebellion , try in vertex paint mode, Paint -> Dirty Vertex Colors.
@ Benni-chan http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Camera#Panorama

IMHO, most important needed features are :
Texture Mapping Previewing according to render for Blender Internal.
Cycles will take again months or years of development to be ready to compete to BI in all domains.
In my opinion, 2.4 Viewport Preview Rendering was the better solution.
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-242/render-pipeline/
It works even on netbooks with poor OpenGL support.

Bmesh modelling tools polishing
I don't know how advanced it would be for GSOC but it will probably have work to do for new tools.

Less urgent features are :
Retopologizing and Sculpt Tools
avocado retopo slice. good workflow between multires and remesh and skin modifier.
Texture Painting Improvments
Ptex, bump+color
Node Particles
I am waiting 2.49 reactor particles since 3 years. But I can wait again one year without becoming mad.
Fluid Simulation
Surfacing for fluid particles or Thin fluids improvments.

And finally, all organizing stuff(outliner, asset manager) and interface goodies like Wireframe color, Viewport gradient or UI tweak for horizontal panels.

fobsta
01-Mar-12, 06:54
BMesh Modeling - when creating a new primitive give users an option to create default uvs as well

Benni-chan
01-Mar-12, 06:54
@ Benni-chan http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Camera#Panorama

thanks, but that's not exactly the same... sure, i could transform that equirectangular to a circular equiangular fisheye, but a lot of the rendered image wouldn't be needed and rendertimes would be unnecessary high.
the panorama camera always gives a FoV(x) of 360° and FoV(y) of 180°
what i would like is a user choosable FoV for x and y (i regularly need values between 180° and 260° for both axis), resulting in a circular, equiangular fisheye image.
i believe, this is something, that can be displayed with opengl, so a preview in the 3dview should be possible (not possible with panorama camera)
the game engine already has this included (dome).

ron333
01-Mar-12, 07:01
Develop a Blender Game Engine Player for the iPAD3.
This would be a lot of fun. Blender Games on the the iPAD!

Sooner or later Blender needs to get into the mobile world.
I'm for sooner.

GottfriedHofmann
01-Mar-12, 07:13
Ok, I got a very specific list:

+1 for work on fluid particle surfacing (actually surfacing for any particles/point clouds)

+1 for Bullet in the viewport (Aligorith is already working on it again)

Fluid sim multithreaded or even OpenCL

Anything that helps Lukas Toenne with his particles refactor

Smoke Sim improvements:

* Not just particles as source for smoke but any geometry (like object faces, volume etc.)
* Fuel for smoke sim

MSZ
01-Mar-12, 07:17
Better support for working with LODs
It would be great to have a possibility to preserve UVs while merging and editing high res models to prepare low res models. That works good quite well in 3d Max. It's very important for effective pipeline for 3d models used in games, where you have to prepare several LODs for each object.

Wahooney
01-Mar-12, 07:19
In general I'm mostly interested in game engine content creation.

1. Baking:
- cage
- cavity
- custom shaders
- Cycles lightmaps
- higher non-multires polycounts
- speedup
- Improved ui. Set object groups and target textures, press a button, get all passes you want already saved to disk.

2. Retopo:
- Better tools for manual retopo. Much more important than any automatic method.
- Solve the age-old occlusion problem so that we can see what we're doing...

3. Texturing:
- Overlays
- Layers (like in photoshop, with blending and combining. Just let me use the damn texture node stuff in painting.)
- multiple textures at once (bump+paint)
- better brushes (what happened to mypaint brush integration?)
- normal painting
- cavity modulation
- modulation with any custom (GLSL?) shader
- I could go on and on...

UV Editing:
- multiple objects at a time. better support for atlases.

Modelling:
- M0AR T000Lz!!@! (that's already being worked on thanks to Bmesh) ;)

+1 What he said.

Import/Export: Add proper FBX Y-Up support. Right now objects/matrices are just rotated to look right, but a 0,0,0 rotation in Blender should be a 0,0,0 rotation in Unity.

UV Unwrapping: Maintain symmetry and/or scale in auto-unwrapping, specifically angle based

Scripting: improve text editor, right now it's only useful for small scripts, when it gets more complicated external editors are required unfortunately.

Scripting: py-everything! py-areas, py-panels, py-nodes

Modelling (General): True parametric objects that need to be converted to meshes before editing

UV Unwrapping: UV Map Modifier. Project primitive-shaped uv cage, ie. sphere, plane, box, cylinder, etc.

That's me... DONE!

carlos-mazon
01-Mar-12, 07:23
My whishlist is rather short, but also necessary:

- Better layer manager and more than 20 layers.

The ones using Blender for Archviz will be really happy the day this happens :)

daren
01-Mar-12, 07:28
Layer view in outliner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWdba2SMBs

And -- what the heck since its open source

Why not just integrate GIMP into Blender -- pretty much when you go into UV/image editor, it becomes embedded GIMP. this could add a whole lot of power to Blender, and, since it's open source, it doesnt' (maybe) need to be a whole lot of extra work.

SlepacusMiticus
01-Mar-12, 07:39
wish list for blender:
-human base models male and female, low and hirez,
- unwrappedness for all base models from cube, sphere to suzanne and base meshes
-more customization for blender interface: a custom view where i can make buttons/icons for the things i repeatedly use
-possibility for user to create window selectors for our char like abxpicker(load images in bckg and buttons for selection)
-a rigging view(aside from "animation" mode) and eventually riggify that supports spine stretching by dragging the controller, i tried to make one myself but the ikspline is a royal mess, riggify should support secondary bones for bending limbs like mancandy
has
-window rendering (by mouse box drag) and for that box user input control over resolution and rendering option separated from the whole image (another set of settings), cause maybe i want to see only a bit of the image but in hy rez
-icons for tools buttons option for user to change / preference
-integration with a scriptwriting program or display pdf/script format aside scenes
-nested (named)layers

daa
01-Mar-12, 07:43
Particles:
Hair collision please

PLyczkowski
01-Mar-12, 07:46
For me it's:

BMesh Modeling - especially tools like inset, selection tools like selecting part of a loop

Sculpt Modeling - especially performance

Paint Texturing - especially layer support, saving as psd

Shading - especially SSS in Cycles

Lamoot
01-Mar-12, 07:50
Texture paint - texure layers, brush size independent of zoom (5px brush is always 5px brush), saving of images/layers when you save the blend file (at the moment you need to save the images separately), brush textures used only as alpha value, straight line painting, eraser tool.

Game Engine - particle system, nodal game logic.

reC
01-Mar-12, 07:51
1.Anything related to improving cycles rendering speed and integration with blender UI would do.
2.Speed improvements for viewport and cosmetics.
3.Refined and lots of usability features in Bmesh tools.

Atom
01-Mar-12, 07:55
Python API is not on your list but it should be. There is still a GIGANTIC bug in the frame_change events that 2.6.2 currently offers. Simply put when rendering an animation or even a single image, Blender will sometimes return an invalid context which crashes the GUI. This should never happen. Internal checks should be made to make sure that if a context is being returned it is a valid context and not None.

The B-Key (Box Select) should be always on in the Graph Editor and Dope Sheet.

FreeMind
01-Mar-12, 08:02
GUI upgrades:
Context sensitive Properties editor for multiple selected objects, not just the active one.
Horizontal panels.
N panel properties moved to properties editor, N used for favorite properties and nodes.
And other possible GUI cleanup and enhancement.

tyrant monkey
01-Mar-12, 08:05
there are lots of papers on cloth related stuff on Walt Disney's open source tech portal.

http://www.disneyanimation.com/library/list.html

I don't know which was one would be suitable to suggest for a GSOC project but if you have seen the cloth in Tangled one can only wish.

Bigbob
01-Mar-12, 08:12
Game Engine ->

Speedup for drawing many objects(because "drawing 10000 cubes 6 faces each is slower than rendering one object with 500 000 faces")

General Rasterizer optimization?

When theese two will get in GSoC, Blender game engine can proudly stand next to Unity, UDK.

pedro lara
01-Mar-12, 08:16
Adding motion tracking was a huge improvement, but still has big limitations, and is a key feature for making blender vfx ready.
Currently 90% of production tracking is done using algorithms that automatically extract and process information with little human intervention. We need some kind of automated camera extraction, the way Nuke does.

Improvements can be also done in steps:
- ability to activate/deactivate trackers once they exit the frame
- track editor to refine / discharge wrong trackers
- statistical evaluation of results

Sure most of the algorithm are already present, they might need production integration.

metalliandy
01-Mar-12, 08:18
BMesh Modeling

Modernise the tools :D
Basically what people have mentioned above ^^

Rendering

Projection cages - This would allow better control and accuracy, less ray projection errors and the ability to bake normal maps with sharp edges. Currently it is impossible to bake with sharp edges on a mesh without getting a seam, so people can't use Blender normal bakes in UDK etc. unless the mesh is baked with 1 smoothing group.
Viewport speedup - Fix the CUDA opengl issue that makes nvidia fermi cards slow in Blender (maybe add OpenCL acceleration?

Interface

Improved outliner - Would be great to have drag and drop added (there was a patch, iirc)and include an option for creating folders for organisation :)

Fluid Simulation, Hard Physics Simulation, Cloth Simulation, Particle Simulation

Improve multi-threading for all simulation tools :)

Vier Madchen
01-Mar-12, 08:24
I'm new to blender but . A text based interface for animating morph targets ( like animation masters lip sync control )would be handy .

spirit
01-Mar-12, 08:28
+10 for the darens idea - layer system in outliner view!

I think the feature that will worth the most will be better scripting features for all users such as node based scripting like Uscripting for Unity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK72HzyYn_8&feature=channel
this will have a massive impact on the Blender development, because it will allow to everyone, with minimum Python knowledge to make their own scripts and contribute them to Blender! This will speed up the Blender features development several times, because everyone can easy make the script that he needs and then share it with the community!
As far as I know it will be not easy, so, we can think of another system of easy learning the Python for Blender, such as making a site with many, many tutorials on this matter...

Better linking/appending objects workflow will be great
ability to organize shapekeys into group of shapekeys and transfer whole groups of shapekeys from one object to another

More tools for rigging and character animation...

matthiss
01-Mar-12, 08:33
faster rendering in cycles (network rendering like renderweb)
physics "shattertools" like Rayfire or Phymec tools
fluid simulation enhancement (quicker and more features ) - Realflow

:eyebrowlift2: mh, i sound so impolite, but that would be awesome

aidyfuzz
01-Mar-12, 08:33
I agree with Atom and Rebellion,

Border select should be on as default in the VSE.

Vertex normal editing tools. -- VERY HANDY!!! possibly not that hard to put in either? (famous last words!)

Thanks guys!

Aidy

howardt
01-Mar-12, 08:40
Not sexy, but extremely useful and extremely good training for an aspiring professional programmer

Blender Automated Test framework and some unit tests and some larger functional tests
(for instance, I might suggest writing automated unit tests to make sure that all of the BMesh modeling primitives do the right thing, especially on edge cases)

As a general comment on GSoC projects sometimes not making it: I think the typical GSoC project is too ambitious for all but the most fanatically driven student. Students (and mentors) vastly underestimate the time it will take to do the things they hope for.

David Hattori
01-Mar-12, 08:42
1. More advanced texture painting with layers and stuff like 3dcoat. And with a better performance (it is really slow right now)

2. Better fluid simulation. Something like Realflow's Hybrido with foam layers, splashes etc.

3. And unlimited clay and a more advanced sculpting tool with layers and such.

Piotr Adamowicz
01-Mar-12, 08:44
UV Unwrapping: UV Map Modifier. Project primitive-shaped uv cage, ie. sphere, plane, box, cylinder, etc.

Quote for great justice.

ps8
01-Mar-12, 08:53
Old render engine Open CL

Bmesh modelling tools decent chamfer/bevel

retopology tools

RioKuro
01-Mar-12, 08:53
Something I haven't seen anybody mention and that is an absolute requirement in visual effects (that's what Mango is all about right?) is interoperability and pipeline. Meaning industry standard tools and import/export functions. Stuff like:

OpenColorIO
OpenImageIO
Alembic
Collada (i know, already has it but can be better)
FBX (same thing)
Ptex
OpenEXR (again, it's in there, can be better. customizable layer naming, scene metadata embedding like cam info, convergence and interocular distance for stereo work.)

Make it fit in the worlds pipelines and don't make blender an obstacle, which in my daily work it is. These things can make the comp stage even more powerful making that part a lot more creative instead of constantly fixing stuff and overcoming technical problems.
Which has limited me to only using it as a modeling and texturing tool. Nothing wrong with that of course but it's a shame as it has so much potential.

An other thing you just can't go without in the VFX world is proper handling of image sequences.
Right now it's just fragmented and incomplete in Blender. Why are the movie clip editor and sequence editor not the same thing in terms of adding a shot
already imported in one of the views? A central asset repository/management system for image sequences/models/materials/textures etc will be a great help there.

Hope this was helpful.

Rio

stokastic
01-Mar-12, 08:57
The fluid simulator needs a huge rewrite. IMO it's way outdated, and extremely slow. Have a look at this paper - realtime baking and rendering of this fluid at > 30fps.

http://www.matthiasmueller.info/publications/tallCells.pdf

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl54WZtm0QE

huzik
01-Mar-12, 08:57
New features are very important, but currently Blender is very slow in viewports. Maybe some optimisation have to be done?
And texture painting will be very useful - I still have to use Mudbox for texturing.

And my little request on interface: it will be helpful to have "lock panel" button, so the panel will not become hidden if the other panel is set to fullscreen (quad view is not the same). For example: user "locks" Properties and outliner, maximizes perspective viewport, and Properties and outliner are still on the screen, near the Perpective. Like in 3ds max. Now I have to use different windows for viewports and properies(

Layers system. To have separate window for layers: naming layers, freezing, hiding, moving objects between them..

And one more feature on the interface: why not make RMB context menus for actions, like parenting, copying materials and so on. Context menus are very weak in Blender today.

I don't know if theese features are revolutionary enough to be made in GSOC, but they are vital, as I think.

goro_kiss
01-Mar-12, 08:59
It's will be great to add an android or iphone exporter addon for the game engine

- a dynamic brush sculpting like sculptris

Happy coding ;)

FreeMind
01-Mar-12, 09:08
Old render engine Open CL
Waste of man power.

3pointEdit
01-Mar-12, 09:09
Looks like I'm still the only one that wants time devoted to the VSE.

Real editing tools (see any other NLE), rendered asset and VSE timeline management via XML, and ability to use open pluggin effects (in lieu of Comp Nodes - as Ton not like that).

Good bye 3 wishes, farewell till I see they again, when next someone asks.

Printer Killer
01-Mar-12, 09:16
- Progressive rendering in Cycles
- UI - Customizable without messing up with python code, Like the Shelfs in Maya or absolutly customizable interface like in LightWave
- 3d align tools like in Maya (It shows you the align option on the model itself interactively)
- Thumbnail of the texture in Cycles shading Nodes, like in the sequencer
- In Render Mode, the ability to select and object and see it highlighted and selector arrows (More interactive render mode)
- Improved Nurbs
- Outliner to be improved and be usifull
- Better Fluid Simulator
- Multiselect to be improved and integrated
- Less noise in Cycles
- SSS in Cycles

siraniks
01-Mar-12, 09:19
here's mine:

Game Engine:
- A proper particle system, easier to manipulate particles just like in the blender itself that would be cool
- more filters - DoF, reflection (just like in Unity a ready-made reflection setup), and color grading would be cool

Sculpting:
- Unlimited clay...

Lighting:
- support for IES Profile

UV Unwrapping:
- Proper results for UV Unwrapping

Rendering:
- OpenCL support in BI and Cycles
- faster render using Approximate in BI
- faster Subsurface Scattering in BI and in Cycles
- point-based rendering?

Compositing:
- having Mix/Filter or any node that supports viewing in backgroup, instead of using a viewer node, having a checkbox to activate view and selecting that node will enable viewing the result.
- OpenCL compositor, is this done?
- Vignette node maybe...

Motion tracking:
- default values for a point-and-shoot cam not only DSLR cams (some people can't afford DSLR cams) in the camera data.

Hard Physic Simulation:
- Phymec tools/destruction/fracture tools - need some improvements that would be cool for visual fx

Interface:
- Some hidden shortcut keys, can be viewed from the menus
- Outliner, click and drag photoshop-like enable/disable items (viewable, editable and renderable) for faster workflow it's really a pain in clicking each one of those icons just to disable them.
- handling of polygons in the viewport, far objects = less polygons, near objects = high poly...

Import/Export:
- Export DWG or AutoCAD files.
- Import FBX

Modeling:
- Bring back the Bevel tool or the Chamfer-like tool...

Asset Management:
- Export/Importable Asset file... like a package file of one's own assets

Video Sequencer:
- able to add/insert 2D text than creating a text from a scene with a camera...

No Category:
- Offline Help file

3pointEdit
01-Mar-12, 09:23
VSE more API exposed to it.

There that was a short one...

bobizib
01-Mar-12, 09:37
- +1 Viewport performance (from sculpting to object/edit mode, Viewport is sometimes slow as hell !)

- +1 Refactoring sims (bullet/smoke/fluid sims)

- Believe it's about despgraph : All sims/animation can interact without tricks or hack.

- Maybe help needed for node based particule system?

- New "real" nurbs system

- Compositing tools (clig&drag/animated mask in 2d canvas without rendering; maybe help needed for OpenCL comp?)

GottfriedHofmann
01-Mar-12, 09:39
OpenColorIO -> Tile-based/OpenCL compositor currently in the making is using it
OpenImageIO -> Already in use in Blender
Alembic -> +1 for that
Collada (i know, already has it but can be better) +1
FBX (same thing) -> it's an Autodesk issue
Ptex -> s.o. is working on it
OpenEXR (again, it's in there, can be better. customizable layer naming, scene metadata embedding like cam info, convergence and interocular distance for stereo work.) -> +1

Also:
PartIO
Open Effects (OpenFX) nodes for Compositor

lhc268
01-Mar-12, 09:39
Animating
- Improving the Timeline. It would be a great feature, able to grab & scale keys!(just like Maya or 3D Max, it prove to be very useful tool)
- Node based system

Fabian Schempp
01-Mar-12, 09:40
-baking with Cycles.
-better rigidbody integration.
-node particles
-cooperative working like with verse.

would be nice.

Claudio D
01-Mar-12, 09:41
Please, I beg you, make a decent inset tool.

eiji_11
01-Mar-12, 09:46
this one!

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?241791-skeletal-animation-presetting-concept&p=2021754#post2021754

aomeoni
01-Mar-12, 09:47
Import/Export: Add proper FBX Y-Up support. Right now objects/matrices are just rotated to look right, but a 0,0,0 rotation in Blender should be a 0,0,0 rotation in Unity.

+1. Bringing blends into Unity is a pain, especially when dealing with armatures. That damnable -90 X make using the animation tools or scripted animations / physics in Unity much more of a hassle than it need be.

We really need to be able to bake the matricies down. My cumbersome solution has been to rotate my model along a Z forward axis, apply that rotation, rotate again to a -90 X and leave that rotation as a transform, export to collada, hand edit the collada file with a text editor to change the UP axis.

Actually, better than baked FBX export would be an actual option in user preferences for 'Y is UP'. You could put it right next to the 'Select With Left' button.

Moving on to my wish...

Grease Pencil
Expand the functionality of the 'Grease Pencil' with a 'Grease Pen' option for drawing smooth curves on screen. Currently it's overly complex and tiresome to create workable curves using the grease pencil. The workflow currently being: Draw, convert to bezier, blindly use 'simplify curves' addon, not happy with result, delete curve, select GPencil again, convert, 'simplify curve', not happy , delete, repeat...

A 'Grease Pen' tool [think the pen tool in Inkscape] could be further expanded to allow one to 'stoke along curve' when painting or sculpting. Or be able to draw simple geometric shapes such as an ellipse, rectangle, star, spiral, ... Being able to plot out and utilize such shapes in painting / sculpting would be quite the boon for hard surface modeling / texturing.

UBArtists
01-Mar-12, 09:51
Dimensions
A dimensioning app. for creating drawings/blueprints would help for:
architecture, layouts, mechanical models, etc.
e.g. I would love to animate my creations right off of the drawing.
Tying it to existing blender units would be great.

gr8!
01-Mar-12, 09:55
I'h love to see a system similar to Cinema4D's XPRESSO. I think there was something similar put together a while ago named nodes for/on everything or something. Saldy it's been a long time since I heard or read anything new about it..XPERSSO is a node based system that creates all shorts of objects interactions and it's one of the few reasons I still use Cinema 4D slightly over Blender today. Since a node system (for compositing and materials) is already there, it would be super nice to have a similar system in Blender. Simple but with endless posibilities!

Sneg
01-Mar-12, 09:59
Cycles:
. motion blur
. baking

Physics:
. bullet rigid body in the viewport

Josemaria
01-Mar-12, 10:01
GAME ENGINE:
Blender Online Player (like unity has)
IOS and Android exporter (so Blender could be a money making game engine. it's always more attractive. I don't know if it's legal though)

ANIMATION:
Somehow improve Cycles. It would be nice to see Cycles being worked on (but on something that isn't already on the map for the next few months). Maybe speed, and other things for animators.

SOUND:
Initially I didn't find the sound thing very interesting in blender, but now I start imagine Blender being unique with it, and even being used seriously by arquitects and Sound Producers.

What if in the materials choice we could turn on “Accoustic Attributes” in wich we could choose the materials sound reflectivity, acoustic isolation, etc. And what if you had plug-ins like a Graphic EQ, Compression, etc. It would be possible to produce music in a visual 3D space. Only by scaling the 3D modeled room, or giving it more corners, or a subdivision surface, or moving a speaker to the far end of a room, the sound would change (in terms of reverberation). And if the room is bigger in one side than the other, that side would have more reverberation (just like in physics). I imagine it with physical accuracy and number of bounces, kinda like the Cycles renderer. It's something completely new to 3D modelling and animation programs (Im pretty sure). I think it would be great. Eventually you could add midi and other stuff, and make it as good logic or protools, but with a visual physical interface. It would even help architects to build well done acoustics for Auditoriums and Concert buildings. They would model their idea and see how accoustics worked in it. And it would probably help for so much more that I can't remember at the moment. Basicly, a Sound Renderer. It would make Blender even more unique. I don't know how to program, so I can't help with development. But I hope my idea helps.

(jay)
01-Mar-12, 10:08
Blender Automated Test framework and some unit tests and some larger functional tests
(for instance, I might suggest writing automated unit tests to make sure that all of the BMesh modeling primitives do the right thing, especially on edge cases

howardt, is this what you mean? http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:LeifAndersen/GSoC2010/Readme maybe the code can be revived

emilton
01-Mar-12, 10:15
1 - fx for text animation
2 - SSS in cycles
3 - simulator crowds

critch
01-Mar-12, 10:22
Import/Export for Sims
1-OSG (improve)
2-FBX (import)
3-Openflight (update with switch node)
4-Collada (improve)

Blendiac
01-Mar-12, 10:28
In order of importance:

GAME ENGINE:
As many people have already pointed out... The ability to output runtimes for mobile devices!

+1
Speedup for drawing many objects(because "drawing 10000 cubes 6 faces each is slower than rendering one object with 500 000 faces")

General Rasterizer optimization

+1
particle system, nodal game logic.

EDITING TOOLS
+1
Real editing tools (see any other NLE), rendered asset and VSE timeline management via XML, and ability to use open pluggin effects

MISC:
Mentioned by a few people: Unlimited Clay in trunk (finally!)

+1
UI - Customizable without messing up with python code, Like the Shelfs in Maya or absolutly customizable interface like in LightWave

\o/ --------->>> Ton Rosendaal plushie toy in the Blender e-store <<<--------- \o/

EDIT: Oh, and a pony.

Pharion
01-Mar-12, 10:44
Interface - can we have coloured wireframes in the viewports? Wireframe colours defined by user

Interface - improved layer management. User defined layer names and colours.

Interface - optional viewport rotation locking. This would stop user from accidentally rotating view and having to manually reset it. Would still allow zooming and panning.

Hard Physics Simulation - bullet integration throughout Blender and not just in Game Engine.

Scripting - word completion and dictionary(s) in text editor.

thanks for reading

All of the above... I cant understand why you can have the soft body and cloth simulation, but need to go into the game engine for the rigid body effects... makes no sence.

I'd also like an editable construction history so that I can create a uv sphere, click off it then go back to it and still edit the number of loops and edges it has...

But I really really want procedural modelling to be implemented hopefully via a node editor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_modeling

to b
01-Mar-12, 10:46
NURBS Modeling
provided the Nurbs-Merge branch has been merged before SoC some Ideas could be:
-Implement some more basic nurbs operations
-Import/Export for .3dm openNurbs file format (http://opennurbs.org/)
-Develop a system for looseless Nurbs editing (Modifiers that output Nurbs/Nurbs-nodes) and Implement one Modifier/Node using it (eg. Boolean, Loft, etc)

fahr
01-Mar-12, 10:47
Something I haven't seen anybody mention and that is an absolute requirement in visual effects (that's what Mango is all about right?) is interoperability and pipeline. Meaning industry standard tools and import/export functions. Stuff like:

OpenColorIO
OpenImageIO
Alembic
Collada (i know, already has it but can be better)
FBX (same thing)
Ptex
OpenEXR (again, it's in there, can be better. customizable layer naming, scene metadata embedding like cam info, convergence and interocular distance for stereo work.)

Make it fit in the worlds pipelines and don't make blender an obstacle, which in my daily work it is. These things can make the comp stage even more powerful making that part a lot more creative instead of constantly fixing stuff and overcoming technical problems.
Which has limited me to only using it as a modeling and texturing tool. Nothing wrong with that of course but it's a shame as it has so much potential.

An other thing you just can't go without in the VFX world is proper handling of image sequences.
Right now it's just fragmented and incomplete in Blender. Why are the movie clip editor and sequence editor not the same thing in terms of adding a shot
already imported in one of the views? A central asset repository/management system for image sequences/models/materials/textures etc will be a great help there.

Hope this was helpful.

Rio

THIS x100.

Additionally:
Performance enhancements (object selection performance currently dies in large scenes, and increase opengl performance)
Make Outliner useable. Make it easy to re-organize and above all, MULTI SELECT potentially hundreds of objects. Drag and drop was a nice start. But needs a ton more. Seriously, just make it work like windows explorer and it will be perfect.

jg_loquet
01-Mar-12, 11:05
Hi, here's what would really improve my working days :

- Rendering / bake cycles GI to textures
- Interface / dependency diagram (something like the old OOPS schematic to quickly figure out what uses what)
- VSE / sampled motion blur from an image sequence (to avoid rendering each frame multiple times for nothing)
- BGE / cross-compiling (create a game executable on one platform for another)

and maybe also :

- Rendering / Cycles volumetric rendering (probably wouldn't use it every day but would be really cool!)

Thanks ;) !

Cheers,
______
JG

TMW
01-Mar-12, 11:12
I think making the VSE, 3D view and compositor work better together would be good for VFX etc. and increased performance in the viewport would be nice.

Thanks
Tom

HammerHand
01-Mar-12, 11:25
a real pen tool not the whole add plane delete all but one vertex thing

NH3D
01-Mar-12, 11:25
My wish list in this order
Fracture tools from Phymec
Reactor particles
Fluid Simulation
Smoke Simulation
Save file warning when blender is closed with out saving (how many of us lost something when we first started out)
Alembic import and export
Add objects by drawing, drag to the right size then, click and drag along the z axes

http://youtu.be/VBhZhIMB54M?t=1m46s

danield
01-Mar-12, 11:32
Particle Simulation:

First off, I think particle nodes may add these features, but in the event it doesn't, here is my wish. As it stands, I know of no particular way to fade particles based on their lifetime. I would also be interested to have the ability to effect PerParticle attributes (example: a single particle would have a UV coordinate associated with it's spawn point) either through PyDriver or Particle Node. (Reference Maya 2009 Help (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/index.html?url=Particle_expressions_Understand_per _particle_and_per_object_attributes.htm,topicNumbe r=d0e163093))

Custom Properties:

When you Add Custom Property it is always displayed as a float value in the Properties Editor. It requires scripting to modify the type of property it is, but it would be nice to change that when you click the edit button, especially for character rigging.

kryp
01-Mar-12, 11:36
Paint Texturing - Ptex integration would be a nice GSoC project.

Rendering - Any improvement is welcome for cycles, especially making it production ready (AO, point cache GI) but cycles already's getting a lot of attention with mango.

Physical Simulation - A unified physics modifier. Right now all the different simulations work fine on their own and produce mostly acceptable results but the fact that you can't even have smoke interacting with animated objects is just extremely limiting.
So in short, a modifier containing all the physical simulation. Just imagine smoke interacting with fluids or cloth with rigid bodies. Awesome!

to b
01-Mar-12, 11:37
Save file warning when blender is closed with out saving (how many of use lost something when we first started out)

"File>Recover Last Session"

squizzz
01-Mar-12, 11:37
BMesh Modelling/UV Unwrapping - replicate SketchUp photo match feature. There is currently an addon that tries to do something like this, but its workflow is far beyond SketchUp's in terms of ease of use.

Unfortunately this feature is available only in pro version of SketchUp, kind of weird to ask it to be implemented as GSoC project, since basically google would pay to implement their premium feature in competing product. :D

But one can dream.. :)

NFP Digital
01-Mar-12, 11:39
Personnaly, there are 2 things that i dont think have been listed. one, smoke presets. i think there should be presets for the smoke simulator (different explosions, smoke trail, ect.) they would be great starting points for vfx artists:cool:. second is the game engine; there still is no way to export as an a .exe. it would be AMAZING if you put an ios exporter, with a system for touch and tilt controls! :yes:

artao
01-Mar-12, 11:41
I havent' read the whole thread .. it's a lot :spin:

just two ideas from me:

Interface: Layer Management ... naming layers, linking layers, ghosting layers ...

Textures / Images: Import multi-layer .xcf or .psd files and use each layer as it's appropriate map i.e. diffuse color / bump / spec. map / etc ... .... Would allow saving ALL parts of a map-set in one file.

that's all from me.

m9105826
01-Mar-12, 11:44
Texturing - PTex would be a huge boon to Blender's pipeline. Also it would be nice to have rotatable alphas and a drag mode outside of sculpting.

And I know it's in the pipeline, but vector displacements sooner rather than later would be nice.

npm1
01-Mar-12, 11:49
Opencl VSE gpu acceleration combine this with the crew from FFMPEG

color grading using curves

Armature to IPO for better fight scenes and other interaction type scenes...the record to IPO is great when one wants to do slow motion scenes as after the animation is recorded they can still move the camera around to get a desired shot....armature to ipo

Opencl based physics including crowd simulation(i.e. massive)

fobsta
01-Mar-12, 11:49
Texturing - set realtime texture filtering in viewports eg. turn mip maps on/off

Polygon Masks - with thickness and feathering

KitsuneStudios
01-Mar-12, 11:50
PTEX/ Vpaint would absolutely be #1 on my wishlist.

#2 is to allow fur/hair to animate properly again

#3 would be reactor particles through the node-based particle system.

dannybear
01-Mar-12, 12:01
Rendering- a shadow catcher material in cycles

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:02
for example
a blocked out model in the original blender file LINKed into the final shot file
so that means i can do pre-viz shots i.e. blocking out the animation with the blocked out model...... the LINK could also help when one wants to do concept artwork based on a certain frame...
at any point i want to go back to improve the original model, i can do so.....the linked file will refresh itself upon a button being pressed or loading..as long as i keep working on the original file, the pre-viz shot file will keep update until i decide the model is done....
restrictions would be
the model cannot be used in the pre-viz until the model recieves an armature(verified through object proporties i.e. live mode option (yes) or (no) if the properties for that model is no then it is considered as standard finished model/ if yes then the model can be continued worked upon)......(the models Textures and looks can be altered)
kinda complex but i think you get the idea...the AIM of this is to speed the modelling to animation process

NH3D
01-Mar-12, 12:04
"File>Recover Last Session"
I mean a box that pops up and says "Do you want to save the changes" when you click on the system close button.(On a windows machine the red x in the right corner, on a mac the little red dot)

NRK
01-Mar-12, 12:05
Hair in Cycles.
Motion Blur in Cycles.

Those two are major, the rest are all nice to have.

kat-II
01-Mar-12, 12:06
Anti-Aliasing for all Texture Bake types (using Blender Internal).

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:09
Muscle system
under the particle system the option fluid let the user use metabals as the water particles

replace texts with icons inorder to make better use of monitor......when ever the user mouseover one of these icons the full title crops up..

Opencl everywhere if possible....

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:13
A human model primitive

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:20
multiple textures in cycles....vertex group based.....
freestyle renderengine opencl based (biased and not progressive renderers)
Blender Internal(ported to opencl)
DVD Authoring
Opencl accelerated video Sequencer effects......

GiovanniLucca
01-Mar-12, 12:22
GAME ENGINE!

- Light system
- Native suport for the most commons 2d filters: Bloom, SSAO, Light scattering, DoF...
- Speed UP

darkcgi
01-Mar-12, 12:32
environment setups like vue d sprit
basically would be presets in a blend file or etc..
containing lighting camera infinit plane maybe some objects or landscape with the clouds sun or night moon textures volumetrics
something with a wizard to pick presets and complete scenes
I hate to have to always fiddle with this stuff too much
also a texture populated by objects
example you create a terrain with materials and texture and etc you want then you can pick an object or set of objects or material where these objects can be added to it
vue d sprit has this feature
I love it because I can pick a material that has trees rocks plants and etc already assigned to it
place it on my terrain hit populate after selecting how many objects and how to place them and it will fill my terrain with everything randomly or or sparce around objects that I place down on the terrain and etc...

another feature would be to have a terrain builder like that of bryce or vue d sprit they both work the same basically
you can chose the black image then paint with white soft light hard and change the sized and this creates a bumpmap and displays 3d model of the terrain at the same time

look at bryce, vue d sprit, and terragen

while creating libraries with thumbnails
and some easy way to make to make matcap materials and store them in a material library easily accessable in blender with thumbnails
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?174790-ZBrush-matcap-in-Blender
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Object, models, poses, props, materials, textures, and etc library with thumbnails to easlily pop them into blender scene
like poser
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:35
quick fire......
imrpoved or live interactive opencl particle

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:36
Auto 3d stereoscopic......

CPU+GPU+NETWORK based cycles.......

FreeMind
01-Mar-12, 12:38
- Native suport for the most commons 2d filters: Bloom, SSAO, Light scattering, DoF...
All these are already in blender... unless you mean realtime 2D filters for the game engine?

kesonmis
01-Mar-12, 12:41
Rendering
Cycles render time limited by time (for example, render 5 min per frame)
Automatic random sample seed for every frame
Option to choose active camera for every RenderLayer node
Cycles caching
- possibility to reload/rebuild as fast as in viewport render mode. At the moment it always reloads all the textures on every frame when rendering animation.
- possibility to precalculate and cache BVH for whole animation
- reuse BVH cache for different cameras in the same scene (stereo and multi-cam rendering)

Interface
I second to reworking layers and outliner. Possibility to add unlimited number of layers and name them. Turn off selectable/visible/renderable on per layer basis. Merge and re-arrange layers, layer groups (and subgroups).

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:42
blendernation RRS feeds on blenders splash screen.....

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:43
colaboration with GIMP i.e. so blender can use GIMPS filters......

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:48
GPU Acceleration in the VSE is VITAL i would no longer need to use proprietory softwares again......work with FFMPEG crew to get this going

npm1
01-Mar-12, 12:50
model from stitched together normal/bump maps

p33p
01-Mar-12, 13:01
+1 Cycles particles
+1 Texture Painting Layers/Tools
Free beer delivered to my house

k3pp
01-Mar-12, 13:03
Physics Simulation usign GPU: fluids, smoke, etc should be calculated using GPU to get a better performance.
Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZQpWo9Qhs
http://users.cms.caltech.edu/~keenan/project_fluid.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1m95ICzKTY

manitwo
01-Mar-12, 13:04
some small 3d-view enhancements would be nice:

– another zoom mode wich doesn't stop at a point but instead zoom towards this »focal« point and beyond (constant speed – like you're »driving« through the scene). Blenders way of zooming always bugged me – would love to see another way of zooming (as an option) where i'm not forced to hit the decimal key every few minutes to reset the zoom.

– differently colored faces for quickly indentifying »problem« areas. e.g. 20% blue for flipped normals and 20% green for ngons.

– option to give the normal lines a constant length (like 10px or something) so you dont have to re-adjust the normal length everytime you zoom in or out. (too big / to small)

ejnaren
01-Mar-12, 13:04
I use Blender for aarch viz and product design.
There really should be a way of exporting vector formats.
Ie. A decent section option. A modefier maybe that would be a plane that would create mesh lines trough all it is intersecting.
Then if blender could export those lines as a flat svg, pdf, dxf file.

Lell
01-Mar-12, 13:05
These for me are almost all needed (some of theme were implemented :cool:)
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?242496-Improving-upon-Blender-s-limitations

in addiction
Bmesh modeling: -possibility to edit more than one object at the same time.
-ability to create new primitives by snap and drag over existing objects

Curve-Nurbs modeling: more and more precise control tools for curve management.

Import/Export: some controls over duplicated imported materials (replace, skip, rename etc.)

Uv editing: add manipulator for uv editing.

Thank you for this thread! It's Special!

nazodane
01-Mar-12, 13:08
Doo-Sabin subdivision (like Topmod)
HLSL support (w/ hlsl2glsl or hlsl2glslfork?)
Match Grain for Match moving (like AE)
Motion Trail 3 stabilize (should work w/ pose mode and aware of constraints)
Spiro curve
More texture paint features (like 2D/Vector paint tools)
Modifier Node w/ viewport-based UI for parametric modeling (add Parametric Mode?)
Mesh Editing w/ history stacking (as modifier?)

r9onaldo
01-Mar-12, 13:14
Animation Layers (like Maya) would be great.

olbap
01-Mar-12, 13:15
* First - as there's no way to improve all sections simultanously I think it would be cool just to polish the root so if there's already great and fast Cycles it should be present fast 3d viewport engine (openGL) as in my opinion it's crucial area for other improvements to be more efficient. Alongside with Bmesh it feels logically to put all crucial modeling tools from addons to native Blender toolset.

* Second thing would be to make as many things as it's possible in Blender driven via nodes.

* Third - bring openCL particles/Bullet to finally make fast cloth and other simulations.

Bonuses:
* Nurbs surfaces easily edited or mixed with subD like b/t-splines
* space/mouse menu similar like modo/maya
* as workaround to bring unlimited clay maybe there's a way to use of Remesh Modifier "live" when sculpting?

howardt
01-Mar-12, 13:20
howardt, is this what you mean? http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:LeifAndersen/GSoC2010/Readme maybe the code can be revived

Interesting. That's partly it, though I was thinking of a C test framework and some lower level tests ("unit tests") in addition to functional ones. But the Python API is getting closer to mirroring the C api, and thus could be used for now.

robart
01-Mar-12, 13:23
Paint Texuring

Stencils

(from mudbox reference)
You can use any image as a tool for sculpting and texturing in Mudbox by applying it as a stencil. You can quickly create custom stencils based on any image copied to your system clipboard, or using the Paint and Sculpt tools. You can save new stencils to reuse later, add them permanently to your Stencil tray, or use them temporarily to sculpt the detail you want, then discard them.

Bmesh Modeling

Inset and Bevel (i already love you bmesh :) )

When you use knife tool and start cutting from outside of the model, make that a slice plane tool, slicing through the model with a plane.

Some crazy idea:make a pen tool like the one in Sketchup, to create basic polygons instead of plane=>delete=>extrude first time.

Averaged cage map for normal map baking.

supergra
01-Mar-12, 13:24
Direct manipulation has been considered standard in the Computer Graphics world for at least 10-15 years. (By that I mean the research community, not necessarily animators.)

This should look familiar to people used to working with armatures and constraints:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidH6B7dNnI

The basic idea is that the user specifies constraints on the surface and moves them around. The system figures out the "best" deformation of the remainder of the surface. (I say "best" because there are many such definitions.)

Approach for non-organic objects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiXK5xKwIu4

These videos are just the tip of the iceberg. There are dozens (at least) of excellent technical papers every year on these kinds of topics.

The "MeshDeform" modifier was a huge step in deformation possibilities for Blender. A direct manipulation approach would radically improve things even more.

I have written a Python plugin that does basic direct manipulation. It's slow, both because I'm using an inferior algorithm and because it's not integrated at a low level with Blender.

dwmitch
01-Mar-12, 13:33
BMesh Modeling - More CAD tools (snap to tangent, chamfer (similar to bevel but works on a 2D object), etc)

Particle System - Bring back reactor particles

Animation - MIDI support out of the box. We currently have the ability to bake sounds to animation channels but the nature of MIDI would allow for more accurate results (ex. no noise in movement/scale/rotation when you just want an object to respond to sound, not the shape of the wave). Such a system would help with timing, as it's easier to record sound effects in real time using a MIDI based sampler than to work out the timing by calculating frame numbers.

Interface - SMPTE timecode view in the 3D window. Currently by setting the timeline to view seconds you get a variation of the SMPTE notation (h:m:s + f, milliseconds, which we can live without, are excluded) but in the 3D view it still shows frames. At 30 fps 01:01:47:15 displays as 111225 in the 3D window. If we had the option of replacing it with the time display we could close out the timeline window and reduce the clutter.

Arctistic
01-Mar-12, 13:37
Bullet Integration...

JustinBarrett
01-Mar-12, 13:40
A quick note: "make 'XYZ' faster" is usually not a good GSoC project.

unless "xyz" is raytracing/raytree building etc....but whatever...
I am pleased with many of the suggestions. I would like to see texture painting AND sculpting simultaneously.
e.g. using a texture to put bumps(warts)on a frog should also apply a color or spec or whatever map the user has assigned.

ZanQdo
01-Mar-12, 13:46
I put all my coins in fluid sim polishing/development. Improving the tesselator, fixing the known bugs and other small but important changes compiled in this document

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jc8htb8RM-ebUzO0jOPWMjWcupMf0zyKRN89vfMf4iA/edit?hl=en_US

After this if the coders want it would be nice to get some of Nils's papers in Blender's implementation

dwmitch
01-Mar-12, 13:49
Direct manipulation has been considered standard in the Computer Graphics world for at least 10-15 years. (By that I mean the research community, not necessarily animators.)

I should have read this thread all the way through. I'd like to add this to my wish list. I think Spore uses the same method and this system would speed up animation by a significant factor since you don't have to worry about bone placement and weights.

jabbadagrif77
01-Mar-12, 13:52
You can do motion blur in cycles easy. The only way I do motion blur in blender is with compostie nodes, and Vector Blur.

Rendering - motion blur in cycles

Though maybe this is best left to Brecht. Still... as an animator, this is the one thing keeping me from using cycles seriously. (Of course, other people have other priorities, I realize.)

kakapo
01-Mar-12, 13:56
port the game engine to google's native client, so that blender games can be published to the web in a secure way (including python scripts).

mzungu
01-Mar-12, 14:02
Please help get Freestyle finished up and into trunk! T.K. could use someone with UI design experience to get it polished and pushed down the home stretch! Then he could be free to begin on the long wishlist of features requested by users (one of which is my desire for jot-like NPR contouring hatch lines.)

Likewise for NURBS! Lets get that one finished, already!

:yes:

MacroManJr
01-Mar-12, 14:17
Here's my top four choices:

1. Rendering - a caustics map baking feature.
2. Game Engine - iOS support for the Blender Game Engine.
3. Hard Physics Simulation - Musculature control (perhaps a physics-based tension control) of weight-painted meshes to simulate muscles flexes easier.
4. Particle Simulation - A Particle Brush System: A particle painting tools for Texture Painting using Dynamic Paint and particle sculpting tools incorporated into Sculpt Mode (both instance are using particles as a brush).

RossBlenderArt
01-Mar-12, 14:27
Game Engine - Android/iOS support
Game Engine - See Game Engine Forum...

snot_nose
01-Mar-12, 14:53
Game Engine - crowd system implementation..
I saw that someone already mentioned crowd sim with particles. but i think that it's something that could be better implemented into the game engine together with the new navigation mesh tools. especially if it was possible to record armature animations with the game engine recorder

I added an example for a crowd sim AI I built with the GE, I did it before the navigation mesh was released, but i can provide the files and script if it can give you any ideas.
the animation was used with the autowalker script, that was Rewritten by Bassam, and maybe will be integrated as an add on in the future.

Ideas for further development:

-first thing the recorder should be fixed and not only record on 60 fps. I already did a bug report on that.
And in general giving some more options for the recorder could be helpful.

-Enabling recording of armature actions could push this project much forward.
Right now we are using the autowalker script, but for more complex creatures we could add much more behaviors then walk and stop to the agents.
Actions that would be activated by the action actuator and conditioned with python or the logic bricks.

-Creating foot system for characters, to avoid sliding for walk cycles.

-Adjusting properties and values for multiple selections

-Better duplication system. maybe something similar to the grease scatter, but without the grease

-creating the crowd system as an add-on, which will automate some of the process. like giving different priorities to each agent. (right now i gave a different property to each agent one by one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G_Lkn1XcTw

artao
01-Mar-12, 15:01
... upgrade 2.49b to work with Cycles

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

:cool:

Dinokaizer
01-Mar-12, 15:05
Here's my wishlist:

1. What I proposed here, but i'll write it down anyway;http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?239738-Proposal-for-a-better-use-of-presets&highlight=
Being able to create and share presets - This would speed up workflow so quickly if we could create presets for the following things and be able to share them via various scripts such as;
- Nodes/Compositing (there is an add-on that let's you use presets but you can't create presets)
- Materials (I know Shadertools is being worked on but it needs an extra push man! also I don't think there is a repository for cycles materials)
- Particles (hair etc)
- Game engine logic
- Smoke/cloth/fluid sim
- Soft bodies
Some of these things could work like the cheap "quick effect operators" we have now, like selecting a bunch of objects that constitute the effect and converting them into a preset that you can open anytime in any other project you have.

2. Skin modifier, this is a great tool and it would be a real pity to see it go to waist, there are a lot of things that could change in it but even as it is it's a great tool, please update this and include it in the trunk.

3. BGE Nodal logic - This was being worked on in the last GSoC it would be great to see it finished/implemented. Personally I think the game engine could use a lot of work in general but this would change the way stuff in the BGE is done, also the fact that nodal logic will allow users to even create and share their own "bricks" would be awesome, as it is we can't really add/change logic bricks as easy as we can add and use add-ons.

4. Crowd Simulation would be a very cool project to see.

5. As an earlier poster said, there are a lot of great simulators like "demolition" and Voronoi shatter that would really be great if implemented.

As i'm more into VFX than anything else, so for now not gonna request much on that considering that fact that Mango will hopefully address most of those issues. I know not everything can be implemented, I didn't know about the GSoC until the last one (which was also the best one I may add, the tomato branch, cycles, ocean sim and dynamic paint are awesome) so regardless of my wishlist, here's to an new awesome GSoC! *sips some ice tea* ah!.

(jay)
01-Mar-12, 15:08
implement/expand upon motion trail and bsurfaces (are the coders students?)

sph particle skinning/effects

a way to convert camera data of an object to a 3D volume, atm only commercial/public solutions available.

demohero
01-Mar-12, 15:08

This one is actually my only wish. Bullet Integration by Aligorith :eyebrowlift2:

Details (http://aligorith.blogspot.com/2012/01/bullet-integration-todo-list-poll.html)

imagineer
01-Mar-12, 15:11
I find texturing in Blender flat-out unpleasant.
Lightwave's texturing is MUCH simpler and quicker.
Would like 1 texture database (with some decent textures in it).
Find the X,Y,Z,None texture mapping incomprehensible.
Don't see why I should have to apply UV maps to texture after I have spent ages unwrapping a model, then painting it's textures. It seems like, why would I want to go through this work WITHOUT applying the texture to the mesh I've unwrapped?
The whole Texture/Material paradigm doesn't work for me. Call it Materials and make it a one stop shop (avoid the endless NAMING of every minute part of the process).
I feel the texturing in Blender still shows "programmers bias", rather than thoughtful consideration of artist users needs.

jpbouza
01-Mar-12, 15:22
RIGGING - Muscle Simulation system / Better underneath volume modifier (aka Shrinkwrap)

Parametric muscles would be cool, but maybe that's just too much to ask... I would be satisfied just to see a new underskin volume modifier, a kind of mix between shrinkwrap and warp modifiers. Currently, shrinkwrap's projection mode delivers a lot of artifacts, if that could be improved to give no errors it would be cool. A kind of influence curve option like warp modifier has would also be cool.

daren
01-Mar-12, 15:23
I want to add something -- integrating physics simulations into BI or cycles -- ie have hard body collisions and animations (is this bullet physics?) without needing to enable the game engine, record the simulation to keyframes, then go back and play with the keyframes outside of the game engine.

marksto
01-Mar-12, 15:35
I miss knife-tool with snap-option and retopo tool, like in 2.49b. Please bring them back.

Guitar
01-Mar-12, 16:02
More help options... like a hover over/hit the hot key and then get an simple explanation of that tool/setting and maybe even a graphic example. Basically, more-faster-easily available HELP would be very nice. :)

hetors
01-Mar-12, 16:11
- Hard Physics Simulation - Bullet on the 3D Viewport or any phsics engine.
- Shading - Improve 3D viewport shading.
- Interface - Always on top windows.
- Paint Texturing - be able to manage layers like Gimp or Photoshop.
Please!!, thanks :)

PlanetKiller
01-Mar-12, 16:27
I would like to see the remesh modifier improved; it is quite useful, but allowing it to use different sized quads in a single mesh could eliminate several problems. Because every quad is roughly the same size, details can be lost and poly counts can skyrocket.

Yoda Almighty
01-Mar-12, 17:16
Node logic as a replacement for the current logic system.

DKD
01-Mar-12, 17:23
I have two for the mix, both for the UI I suppose...

1. I would love to have a split window configuration for running a browser within Blender at the same time as I work.
For me it would save time flicking between windows to follow tutorials and download textures etc.

2. Tear away/ docking panels, something similar to Photoshop would work well for me too. This would improve screen capacity for me within certain tasks.

ldh1109
01-Mar-12, 17:31
My wishlist
1. Better viewport performance when texturing, sculpting, animating
2. Ability to view world texture in viewport
3. Bullent physics in viewport
4. VSE rewrite
5. Ton action figure
6. Life size Bretch poster

haraldthi
01-Mar-12, 17:33
Me? I'm illustrating design concepts and use Luxrender to combine realistically looking models with necessarily oversimplified surroundings. My wishlist:

Raw Physics:
* Support for thermodynamics in the physics simulator.
Yet another way to let physics emulation to go slow, but well used it can add a lot of realism. Flames, smoke, wind and water flow are just examples.
* (In my dreams.) Improve the Ocen Simulator to handle the sea-meets-land better. Reflexes from hitting land for one, long waves turning into surf waves where the sea bottom gets shallow (typical beach) for another.

Modelling:
* Improving the NURBS surfaces. I have heard there is some former Gsoc work here that's missing a user interface, but anyway: We're missing out on so much of potential! I se no need for NURBS surfaces having less possibilites than other graph-based surfaces, like the subsurfaces for example. We don't need a strict two dimensional surface to make NURBS surfaces, and we need even less to make it be like a square. What NURBS needs is a clear way to know is forward and back on a graph, and where the ends are, if the part is not cyclic in any way. We can have lines defined there or not, and we can have surfaces between if we want.
* Surfaces that change its resolution automatically with distance from the camera. Both for subsurfaces, NURBS and for other. Do I need to explain this? I believe it's easy enough.

Polish that helps workflow & general impression:
* Better support for working at both small and large scales at once.
I use the same models for showing off details on (sub)millimeter scale, as well as backgrounds a hundred meters away. With a blender unit being one millimeter, parts of the the larger backgrounds (such as the ocean simulator) needs trickery to work.
* A better (and stable) build system. Luxrender is worse, I believe, but that doesn't help with the situation! Building Blender for your system can be such a pain when you don't want to spend most of your time with it. (And for the same reasons perhaps, distribution packages are *way* behind development.)
* In general yes, I agree there's a lot of programmer's bias. Not bad in itself if it's the programmers that do the work, but in my case I do have the craving to jot down findings and corrections in the wiki documentation. Documentation is never complete, and it's not easy to go and do something when you meet messages of «We're currently reviewing the documentation so we don't want you to change anything» all over. It feels a bit like the demise of the X11 Consortium, there's too much barring us from being able to help out with something useful. (And that's the bad rant of the day, I hope.)
* Debugging, debugging, interface, interface, documentation... Blender is a rather steep experience to get used to. In some way that is necessary, as CG is a profession in itself and the professionals don't need to be burdened with a big UI, but there are still areas that need improvement. Is it possible to let some less hardened coder in to do a bit of janitorial work here?

Scripting:
* A python interface that's easy to work with. It may be an extension to what's already there, but it could be so much easier to reference objects with their name! Groups, meshes, materials and so on, it should be as easy to get to as from the GUI itself!
To put it another way, the Python interface is very c-like and primitive. It could need a lot of higher level abstraction to be easier to work with from a Python scripting perspective.
* A way to replace the Python command line interface. Some may like it, but I find it hard. In the same way, I believe scripting should be possible from outside of Blender. To be able to use a good Python develepment tool, that lets a Python script load a Blender module, that is fed with one or more Blender files, so that the Python script can control Blender and not just the other way round. Running the Blender GUI from that again could be a programmable option, just like a Python script can decide to run a command interpreter. (And *that*, with easier access to the Blender objects and easy transition to Numpy and other numerical packages should make life a lot easier in the future. Python is popular as a high-level language to the number crunching people too!)

Other:
* Better integration between renderers. I think it's fair and honest for Blender to support different different renderers to get the most out of it, but these projects still have a lot in common. Low level raytracing and GPU programming for example. Might not be news by now, but some weeks ago I heard Luxrender has a lot of such code that Cycles could use.

And thanks, that should be enough for the evening. :-)

Josemaria
01-Mar-12, 17:44
(More to add, besides the ones I said already)
video editor working more like Final Cut Pro X. And more video effects. In Final Cut Pro X if you want to put a clip between two existing clips it opens up a space for it. In all other video software you have to move onde forward for the third one to fit inbetween both of them. The Final Cut Pro X way saves a lot of time. (And it's also got other cool features, but that would be amazing for now)

mookie3d
01-Mar-12, 17:55
I would really like to know Blender's target, what Blender is supposed to be in the future, should it focus on modelling or simulations, rendering or game engine. I think Blender developers should ask themselves where Blender is going because such rapid development in all kind of areas doesn't make sense to me.

huzik
01-Mar-12, 18:00
Interface: Asset list/editor (maybe as Outliner extension) with previews, which allows to view all objects in the scene (textures, meshes, sounds, videos...everything that can be imported into blender) and allows to drag-and-drop them into the scene (not as present material drag-n-drop, when you should find material in submenu), deleting them.. Now when I want to delete all textures from the scene, I open Image editor and select-shift-delete, select-shift-delete, etc.. Veeery slow.. And also remove deleted assets immediately, without re-loading the scene, but with the ability to undo deletion.

daren
01-Mar-12, 18:04
I am seeing several mentions of pop out windows or similar -- this function is already in Blender...

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?243907-Can-I-make-blender-s-windows-menus-float&p=2036769&viewfull=1#post2036769

silvermindyarr
01-Mar-12, 18:28
Interface
*Layer editing in outliner (Time-Saver) - more information visible, more actions possible

*Units - Options for inches only, feet+inches, feet only, and etc. for all unit types. Working in yards is unintuitive, and sometimes you only want to think in centimeters, even if an object is a meter or larger.

*3D View update (Time-Saver) - Display textures (last selected for object or a reasonable resolution mixdown)

*Save Preferences outside of a .blend, a system that allows easy downloading and adding of themes, keymaps, etc.

*Custom Panels and Tool Shelfs (via python)- No more addons that get squezed into toolbar. Finally allow proper ui for any task not built into blender.

*Asset Manager (!Time-Saver!) -

Paint Texturing / Sculpt Modeling
*Sculpt/Texture workflow (Time-Saver) - Anything to keep the user from traveling over to the properties panel over and over. (Look at other sculpt/paint packages and see how they condense their info)

*Ptex (Time-Saver) - Basically shortens setup of texturing workflow, but tools need to be useful and quick

Compositing
*Expose more videoclip features to allow using diferent sizes, diferent length clips together. Not all source footage will always be the same size or pre-synced

Video Sequencer
*Time remapping using f-curves

Physics Simulation
*All Physics possible in viewport (Time-Saver) - removing steps, shortens workflow

Retopologizing
*More tools

Motion Tracking
*Image based modeling (Time-Saver) - Manual method and algorithm method (Nice to be able to tweak as it goes). Both methods Will need usable Retopologizing tools

3pointEdit
01-Mar-12, 18:47
A unicorn please, no wait that was last GSOC.

huzik
01-Mar-12, 18:49
Interface: direct object origin manipulation (moving, snapping to objects).. maybe also rotating to change local coordinate system..

fobsta
01-Mar-12, 18:55
Stereo - Anaglyph and interlaced stereo modes in OpenGL viewports

lsscpp
01-Mar-12, 19:14
Texturing:
something to avoid seams and obvious repetitions in image textures, so that you might trow in a poor texture with a pattern and still get a nice smooth texture across big surfaces

RickyBlender
01-Mar-12, 19:21
1 - Nurbs tools
Ok this is an old subject but still waiting for it !
get the new Nurbs tools finish and integrated in 2.6 as soon as possible

2 - For mapping generated
there is always a problem of scaling these

gerenated mapping scaling !
is there a way to add this to the UV editor but for gerenated and be able to see the mapping
this might make it easier to re scale the textures !
Or find another way to help do the re scaling in 3D !

3 – micro displacement
there was some micro displacement at the beginning of 2.5 but now it's gone
is it possible to bring it back for texturing !

4 – Textures generated
would be interesting to see some new texture type!
Also be able to have a way to generate different texture on different objects
example on a brick wall !
Each object should have some random texture to make it more natural!

5 – Ocean modifier
be able to add some obstacles so that waves can interact wiht objects in the scene

Happy 2.6

tairony
01-Mar-12, 19:29
Well, these are my sugestions:

I Think that Blender needs:

For BGE:

Web Suport, if possible, without plugins.
Possibility to export easily to other plataforms, like Unity.
More performance.
A "real-time view" (on "3D View") of the execution of BGE.
Use of 3D sound on BGE.
Light, shadow and better reflections (with system perfomance).
Particle System.
Level and Terrain Editor.
Prefabs.
Graphical quality equal to "Cry Engine for cinema". Game engine is not just to play, it is very important for movies too.
Curve: Possibility to render curves in the BGE, useful for making ropes, etc...
Viewer Assets: With mouse hover the name of object in outliner, it would be possible to show a preview of it.
Wind System.
Show icons in the "3D View" on the execution of the game: Some Icons and sounds of wind's special effects, etc ... (Like Cry Engine and UDK).

Interface:

A "Group view", when Shift + A is being pressed and a view for customized groups like "trees, rocks, etc.."
"Material and Textures Manager", allowing view thumbnails of them.

Sculpt mode:

Better performance
Improve brushs.
Sculpt unlimited. But need a brush to add vertex and another vertex to reduce, as "Sculpitris".
Matcap faster.
And other things that some people already mentioned that are also important.

sorry for the english =s.

Thank you.

uvwxyz
01-Mar-12, 19:29
Sculpt mode

Would be good if existing solid-mode display optimizations could be applied to textured GLSL mode to allow so called matcaps to be usable on dense meshes. If that's not possible then at least something which would make the surface visibly clearer like being able to set specular hardness for each individual opengl light in solid mode. This is not about making models look pretty in the viewport: when sculpting subtle shapes it's hard to get good visual feedback on what your doing in solid mode.

Option to allow brush textures to simultaniously push in & out choosing which texture value to be halfway point.

Ability to deform brush textures along path they're being drawn (so that the edge of each texture imprint would align nicely with surrounding imprints), could be an option for smooth stroke.

BMesh Modeling

Tools like inset, bevel etc. (probably don't even need to mention)

Ability to use orientation for snapping which is different from the actual transform orientation.

Sorry if I'm too specific.

radek
01-Mar-12, 19:32
Texture projection
And no, UV project modifier is really not the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eb3yZ7c_1Y&feature=channel_video_title

Retopo
Wasn't realized last year.

shabzy81
01-Mar-12, 20:09
Hi guys,

Only been using blender for a short while now but i love it. I'm not a programmer so bear with me if some of the suggestions i make a little naive. I think that the compositor needs more effects. After effects has a huge list of effects, some of which could possibly be created for blender. see list below:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d3c597-7bf0a.html

Another thing was being able to mask in the compositor window rather than switching back and forth between the 3D windows. I think this would be quite handy especially if the masks we're able to be key-framed and dynamic.

Anyways thats my 2 cents :)

hetors
01-Mar-12, 20:12
I am seeing several mentions of pop out windows or similar -- this function is already in Blender...

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?243907-Can-I-make-blender-s-windows-menus-float&p=2036769&viewfull=1#post2036769

I want to clarify one of my wishes...
Yes, I know how make a flotating window but, the thing is when I click outside of that windows the flotating windows disappear instead of being "Always on top", it's a feature that's available in Photoshop... in fact the "Tool Box" of Gimp is an example of a window who is always showing.
I think it would be an interesting feature :).

BroadStu
01-Mar-12, 20:23
In order of importance my wishlist would include
- A complete upgrade of the particle system. Particularly so that reactor particles are available and you can animate more properties using the particle's lifetime. It would also be good to have a particle surface mesh generator, possibly implemented as a modifier, and for particles to have better support in cycles.
- For cycles it would be good to get it completely bug free and optimized with all of the standard features included first. This includes spotlights and the volume system. I would personally also like to see a basic refraction only shader, outgoing vector node link, distance since the last bounce input and possibility of baking textures. There are some important standard nodes still missing such as the RGB curves and ramp shader. A system for the automatic conversion of some materials between BI and cycles would also be great.
- Freestyle should finally be finished and included.
- Sculpting should support a dynamic mesh system for generating extra polygons where needed, like Sculptris.
- Rigid body simulation without having to go to the game engine.
- Procedural mesh/terrain generation system.

I realize that's an awful lot but any of them would be awesome. I expect some of them are not feasible and there are probably already people working on most of them.

SolarLune
01-Mar-12, 20:31
For the game engine, I'd like to see some work done with render batches. Currently, I believe each object is rendered in its own batch, which is slow - it would be faster to push together objects that can be rendered in a single batch, or even allow us to do it by providing a Python 'hook' into the Python controller's owner's batch render number.

benhubel
01-Mar-12, 20:34
I have one simple request. Comment nodes in the node editor. I want to be able to write text in it. It would also be nice to have a grease pencil type drawing tool in the node editor.

Nicholas Rishel
01-Mar-12, 20:44
Multitouch Navigation (Interface) - For the currently supported x86 OSs, I would like there to be multi-touch control as a navigation compliment to a pen. I believe computers such as the Samsung Series 7 Slate (1) will cause a fast change in the existing market for mobile computers wherein most artists will have a slate profile computer equipped with multi-touch and a pen. Several intuitive navigation commands can be accomplished with touch (2). Support for both Wacom and N-trig devices would be preferable.

I'm researching what this would require at the moment, helpful hints would greatly appreciated. :)

(1) http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1A-A03US
(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvt428Hj4E

tfrank
01-Mar-12, 21:50
Particle Simulation:
Hair collision
Hair Styling

Viewport:
Ability to set up a Work Coordinate System (X,Y,Z) to an empty so you can model at odd angles and later return to them.
It would be nice if the num pad 1,3,7 worked from the WCS when you were using it.

TAMcCullough
01-Mar-12, 22:01
Game Engine - I feel it requires a properties panel all its own with an asset browser.

Unlike advanced BGE users, I find it confusing to even try and start wrapping my head around the BGE.

In this properties panel and in its sub sections, you could load a library of directories with a naming convention that blender could then load into other sub sections in the panel. In these sub sections the user could then for example drag and drop an asset into the scene, or maybe load a screen filter, or perhaps choose ambient sounds for the level, etc.

This would make it much easier for the community to share work and perhaps make games and mod.

3dml
01-Mar-12, 22:15
refactor poselib
http://seithcg.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

visual parent tools for animation
http://www.paolodominici.com/vid/parent/parent.mov

stereoscopic tools
cam,viewport

SamCameron
01-Mar-12, 22:26
By the way... I miss the "reactor" feature for the particle system, we had this feature previously in 2.4x but not any longer, it's very important feature so we can create "child" particles in a particular success.

LiquidApe
01-Mar-12, 22:42
Ok, here we go - I know some of my wanted features are a little off the radar but here we go anyway:

1. UI Design and Implementation for tablet users
a. This could bring in radial menus
b. Possible interaction with the 3d widget in the lower left corner to go to orthographic views
c. Long Menus are a pain to navigate with a tablet
d. When your mouse cursor drifts outside popup window (UV Editor->New Image) you lose the window...this is a pain for tablet
users who have to put down the pen to type.
e. Context Sensitive Menus? (Right Click on a Vert and get the vert menu, edge=edge menu, etc etc etc)

2. UI Design and Implementation of tool bar. This could include different shelves, customizability. Additionally, the last used operator section is a bit clunky on the UI side of things. (Here is a post from william reynish blog on various toolbars: http://billrey.blogspot.com/2010/02/lots-of-toolbars.html

3. UI Design and Implementation of the Keybinding Editor. Right now this is an advanced tool. You need to understand what you are looking for and spend a good hour looking to change keybindings. In a perfect world, there should be a design that makes this mundane task dead simple.

4. I would love to see head tracking in the viewport via kinnect/trackIR/wiimote. Source is available to be integrated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dnMsmajogA

5. Bring old gsoc projects up to speed bullet in viewport/ptex/retopo/sculpt improvements (masking etc) Bring me my matcap mode! I know I can set it up via regular textures, but that is like 12 clicks all over the place. Give it to me in 1!

6. Not really 'code' based, but a possibility for a media student: feature videos to advertise Blenders plethora of features (to be displayed on the blender.org site). Think 1 to 2 minute long videos that briefly explain that the feature exists and ruffly how to use it.

7. Help system - perhaps mouseover+keybinding will show text on any element or will open browser directly to wiki page on that element.

8. Hard surface sculpting tools - think using a knife to cut into clay.

9. Sculpting on multiple objects at once

10. Give some love to hair styling and just working with hair in general - I've made a few hairy characters, and it really is a big headache.

11. Redesign of UI for modifiers ala this: http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/modifier_proposal.pdf or a node based modifier system.

12. Other UI papercuts/features - Vertical Header (http://billrey.blogspot.com/2010/02/vertical-header.html), Theme UI (http://billrey.blogspot.com/2010/02/themes-ui.html), Operator Panel (http://billrey.blogspot.com/2010/04/operator-panel.html), or Multi-Pane Confustion (http://billrey.blogspot.com/2010/06/multi-pane-confusion.html).

I'll probably add more as I think of them, but that is it for now.

Sanctuary
01-Mar-12, 22:50
Sculpt mode
[LIST=1]
Would be good if existing solid-mode display optimizations could be applied to textured GLSL mode to allow so called matcaps to be usable on dense meshes. If that's not possible then at least something which would make the surface visibly clearer like being able to set specular hardness for each individual opengl light in solid mode. This is not about making models look pretty in the viewport: when sculpting subtle shapes it's hard to get good visual feedback on what your doing in solid mode..

I don't know the technical aspect, but in Sculptris, but while using OpenGL the dev had the "matcaps" being displayed without using GLSL (as those matcap were displayed even on hardware with support for OpenGL lesser than 2.0).
And Sculptris dynamic tesselation method always led the sculpt pieces to have some areas having very high density, and those "matcap" had no problem being displayed in a very workable way even in those zones.

hakatu
01-Mar-12, 23:00
Here are my suggestions for GSOC

Particle Simulation - The ability to form a mesh that has motion blur so that fluid simulation can be used with particles and other forms.
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/frost/

Rendering - Motion blur support for softbody, cloth and smoke simulations. I have noticed that no realease has fixed this necessary feature.

Rigging - A ragdoll physics feature is something that has been missing for a while now. It would allow the ability to select which bones to enable ragdoll and also allow mixing the simulation with keyframed animation.

Composting - Deep image compositing, http://www.deepimg.com/
Support for Alembra, http://www.alembic.io/

Shading - Integrate the OpenIO colour management tool. http://opensource.imageworks.com/?p=opencolorio

Shading - The ability to use hdr images as textures on geometry to correctly light scenes by emitting proper light values. This feature enables more precise lighting instead of using the environment.

Motion tracking - The ability to correct the markers in the 3d view (after tracking) to allow for even better refinement. Such as if I had tracked a shot with 2d markers placed on the floor of an image (filmed in a house) and the result was those markers at different heights; I could go in the 3d view and adjust those markers correctly to the same height and re-track to correct the result.

asmithey
01-Mar-12, 23:27
Import/ Export:

The ability to import .step files would be huge. I get a lot of models to work with form solid works. The best export is the from solid works is the .step format. I normally import them into Form-Z.

I have a couple reasons as why I'd like to see this....

Now there is a Maxwell Render add-on for Blender. Also, because blender handles large amounts of geometry better than Form-Z too..

.step import please.

Aaron

timcarr89
02-Mar-12, 00:15
+1 for "Texture - P-tex"
It would fit the SoC project size better than some of the massive undertakings that have been requested. Not that I wouldn't like those great features, but blender texturing is one of the most complicated-should-be-simple parts of the workflow. Right now it's easier to sculpt your texture into an object than it is to use a texture. And while that is great, there are times you don't want all that geometry for render times.

spydernine
02-Mar-12, 02:09
What about a stop motion interpolation feature? A feature that would allow the user to key frame stop motion animation, and incorporate associated effects; like motion blur, and some of the other new VFX features being developed?

uvwxyz
02-Mar-12, 02:44
I don't know the technical aspect, but in Sculptris, but while using OpenGL the dev had the "matcaps" being displayed without using GLSL (as those matcap were displayed even on hardware with support for OpenGL lesser than 2.0).
And Sculptris dynamic tesselation method always led the sculpt pieces to have some areas having very high density, and those "matcap" had no problem being displayed in a very workable way even in those zones.
By density I meant meshes which have very high number of faces. Solid mode can go many times higher in number of faces than textured glsl mode before it becomes unresponsive.

arexma
02-Mar-12, 03:14
I would really like to know Blender's target, what Blender is supposed to be in the future, should it focus on modelling or simulations, rendering or game engine. I think Blender developers should ask themselves where Blender is going because such rapid development in all kind of areas doesn't make sense to me.

I both agree and disagree. It's healthy and unhealthy to develop at such a rapid pace in so many areas. While it leaves us often with half baked stuff, or things that rot away in a branch, it also offers a wide working surface to attract developers to at least try to implement new ideas, improve upon someones work or even finish it.

A unicorn please, no wait that was last GSOC.
The last unicorns were promised to be really amazing creatures but they starved to death as no one fed them.

MmAaXx
02-Mar-12, 03:22
I dont mind about CSoC, every year a lot of interesting code and builds coming out, but in the end just few of those will be merge in trunk... so....

ciriaco
02-Mar-12, 03:33
+Plugin system (Python+ ( C, C+, Ogl, Ocl, Ovg, WebGL...)) for all ( render, animation, secuencer, FX......., drivers)

=:-)

Light Bwk
02-Mar-12, 04:03
1. I/O Improvement (to be full studio pipeline ready)
- Collada
- Alembic

2. Texturing Improvement
- PTex

3. Sculpting Improvement
- Unlimited Clay

4. Edge rendering
- Edge
- FreeStyle

5. Particle System
- Particle Nodes

6. Modeling
- mesh tools

7. VSE major overhaul

eXKR
02-Mar-12, 04:47
VSE!!

It would be great to improve it as a non-linear editing software so that we are able to not only compose but mix as professional software does (Final Cut, Premiere, etc). And VSE is a nice start...

Zalamander
02-Mar-12, 05:47
Would be interested in where you think Blender needs the most 'polish' still for your daily work needs.
Did almost everyone overread this? So many people here are requesting huge and outlandish features. It's completely irrelevant what people *would like to have* - the students will apply for what interests *them* to implement. If anything, there should be a vote on which proposals are the most favoured - after they've come in.
What would be more valuable to know: What are the specific problems in your existing workflows?

mookie3d
02-Mar-12, 06:11
+1 for Zalamander

Once again I would like to ask developers where Blender is heading, perhaps it would be better to say: "We would like to focus on modelling and UI so that give your proposals according to these subjects". Now it seems a bit chaotic I guess...

From my point of view something that needs to be polished:

1) UI (space-consuming and too vertical)
2) bmesh tools
3) particle fluids should be easily converted to surface
at the end of this list special addition 4) something like phymec tools inside Blender

mr.burns
02-Mar-12, 06:29
Fluid simulation - Shallow water system

The current built in (V 2.62) fluid simulation is good to simulate to pour fluids into glasses or let water flow into a bucket, splashes in yogurt or milk or something like that. Means it is good for fluids inside any kind of container.
But if I want to simulate a thin film of water moving along a surface with realistic overlapping and interacting waves the internal fluid sim fails.
The problem is bigger masses of water behave correctly using the current fluid sim. But if I want to simulate a thin film of water or a water surface it does not. If the water is just a thin film the current fluid sim does not remain the water surface intact. It brakes it down into drops or groups of dots which jerk along the surface.
Even changing domain size, viscosity, speed, resolution etc. it does not come close to what I expect.
Tags: shallow surface system water

Solution: Implementation of a so called shallow water system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FbZBR-FjRwY

The above link shows what a shallow water system can do. It simulates realistically the surface of thin water or water surfaces. Now you can say one can use Dynamic paint and waves. But problem of Dynamic Paint is there is now option for inflow, outflow, etc. so one can just animate a closed object like planes.

Here a link to a wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_equations

There are also lots of mathematic equations how to implement such system:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=shallow+water+system

Since I am neither a mathematician nor a blender developer I can just request this feature. Hopefulley we will see that in one of future releases!

Alekzsander
02-Mar-12, 06:57
I dont mind about CSoC, every year a lot of interesting code and builds coming out, but in the end just few of those will be merge in trunk... so....

That's really true everybody wants all the thing in the Csoc .
I was really waiting the Onion Csoc and what happen??????????? never finish .

I think this years we must concentrate in 2 or 3 Csoc and choose in a list
I REALLY WANT THE SCUPT SYSTEM IMPROVED ,
- THE PAINT
- LAYERS
- TRANSPOSE TOOL
- ID MASK .
- IMPROVED SPEED
- SMOOTH IS REALLY LAGGG

Lell
02-Mar-12, 07:33
B-mesh modeling and sculpt modeling: modeling layers

general: we need to be able to copy all kind of proprieties from an object to another, like dynamics proprieties, logik brics, and all that actually is not copiable.

node editor: when adding a node, it must be connected to the selected
abylity to visualiza more than one material, to reuse nodes through different materials

Piotr Adamowicz
02-Mar-12, 07:41
Did almost everyone overread this? So many people here are requesting huge and outlandish features.

I'm guessing the idea is to help the BF choose which projects to accept from the projects that come in. It also gives the students an idea of what the users want, and therefore what is likely to be accepted. There hasn't been a feature request thread in a while as these things generally get frowned upon around here.

san
02-Mar-12, 08:23
Wow this thread grows fast! Although not that surprising, being asked what we'd like to have.

Alot of great suggestions (and alot that are too ambitious for a GSoC / better left to the maintainers), wish I could namedrop all I agree with, but instead I will echo some of what have been said already. I personally hope that the focus this year will be on polishing what we have, instead of halfhearted implementations of sexy-sounding papers. Would be great if the BF encouraged students to work on the interface, and hopefully find someone who can be part of the UI team! So off the top of my head:

Interface:
The Outliner! Absolutely yes to have a layer manager in the outliner, and say goodbye to the static nameless 20 we have now! And bring back the Oops schematic! Maybe in the node editor? In any case, so much potential in the outliner.

Better keyboard mapping. Would be so nice to have a little order to the chaos we have now. Like the possibility to set a key to all editors at once, and get notified of conflicts. In general the preferences could use some love, more clearly saving as a separate file.

Custom toolbar. We all want it! One thing I remember loving about Maya: drag'n'drop scripts to the toolbar and have an icon appear.

100 papercuts. Lots of small thing that would help usability: rethink/reorganize the N-panel and tool-shelf. Continuous alt+scroll on the image-slot list in the image editor, instead of only once. Live update of the presets, so when you change some values the preset list will say "Custom", and if you hit some values that is already a preset it will show that. Other stuff in the interface we all stumble over, etc.

Rendering:
Extended Stamp. Imagine being able to right-click on any property and add it to the stamp. Documenting tests would be so much nicer if you could select arbitrary information, instead of only the hardcoded ones we have now.

More passes. Let's get as much information out of our renders as we can: position pass, auto object pass, deep image pass, custom passes, etc.

I can't wait for Cycles to do motionblur, volumetrics and SSS and being faster and all that good stuff, but I'm sure Brecht is made very aware by the Mango team, so I can't see this as a GSoC project.

VFX:
Better camera projection. I don't understand why we have to subdivide geometry so much for a projection to "stick", when Nuke can do it beautifully on super low poly models.

Movie clip editor as The Viewer. What I mean is somehow use the movie clip editor as the primary space for playback of frames, outputting directly from the node editor to movie clip editor, using its cache system. Also use it as a viewer for the VSE.

Real 3D compositing. Ok, this may be far fetched for GSoC, but how cool would it be to have a real camera-node linked to a camera in your scene, together with a render-node that outputs back to 2D (Nuke has spoiled me...). I imagine it would be tough to pull off, but hey, maybe there is a new Sergey Sharybin out there! ;)

VSE love. I don't edit much, but I always fall back on the VSE when the need appears. I hope someone would like to give the VSE some love, like NeXyon did for the sound system.

Simulation:
Rigid Body Dynamics. No need to repeat this but I do it anyway. Hopefully Aligorith will have the foundation ready, so it can be extended during GSoC.

Smokesim. Just one thing: animatable obstacles!

Particles. Like with RBD, I hope Phonybone can make particle nodes ready so it can be extended during the summer. Would also rock to see some development on particle surface mesh!

Ok I'll stop here, too many things to fantasize about and it's not like here's a lack of suggestions! Look forward to see how GSoC turns out this year.

And now on to let this post drown... :p

Jpmon1
02-Mar-12, 08:30
PTex!!!!
Speed up the 3D view port rendering.
Merge all the miscellaneous branches and old GSOC projects.

GottfriedHofmann
02-Mar-12, 08:31

Hmm, lets see for 2011:

Tomato - Two SoC-projects merged
Carrot - Dynamic Paint mergerd, Fluid-Sim was a dropout
Garlic - Merged
Onion - At least one merged (UV/paint-improvements, don't know about the other)

3D Audio also got merged, don't know about all the BGE stuff.

More than 50% of last year's projects ended up in trunk!

JordiArt
02-Mar-12, 09:02
Texturing:

-Port the texture layer and texture plus addons to internal features
-Line and box drawing tools
-Anchored type of brush
-Rake
-Up the limit for things like jitter or brush size
-Possibility to define how the texture in a brush is applied, for example de up/left corner directly to the center of the stroke, or the center, etc, and option to make it on/off per stroke or continous
-A second ( or more ) color choose at the same time, like gimp/photoshop, and the ability of the brushes to switch them during a stroke
-All blend types available for every brush
-Layers on image editor

Sculpting :

-Masks
-Layers
-Morph Targets
-Improve behavior of rotate brush or make a transpose like brush
-Speedup viewport is a plus here

Modeling :

-Make a mode switch to transform selections based on isolated parts, switching on/off ( default off, for actual behavior )
-Bevel
-Inset
-Loop cut upgrade to work with percentage/distance cuts to refine for hard surface hipoly models
-Extra Selection tools, adjacent selections, select part of a loop/ring, etc
-Real constraint to edges/faces/normal for move things, not like snap right now

Viewport :

-Shaders on viewport ( SSAO, Cavity shaders, ... )
-Subsurf modifier in blender it´s so slow, this is important i think, make it FASTER ;)

That´all for me i think, blender is amazing! thanks all devs

LetterRip
02-Mar-12, 09:21
Once again I would like to ask developers where Blender is heading, perhaps it would be better to say: "We would like to focus on modelling and UI so that give your proposals according to these subjects". Now it seems a bit chaotic I guess...

Asking 'where Blender is heading' is a bit like asking 'where the linux kernel is heading' - people wanted to know if it was going to be a kernel for supercomputers, for servers, for desktop computers, or for portable systems, or for embedded systems. As is clear today it is the best OS kernel (or close to) for all of those. Different coders are generally coding to their own needs. Ton is primarily interested in making sure that Blender can meet all the needs of artists in small to medium studios and in making movies. I'm primarily interested in being the 'best of breed' for texturing, painting, uv unwrapping and other early parts of the workflow. Benoit is primarily interested in the gameengine. Brecht is primarily interested in rendering challenges. For most tools efficient development is limited to one or two devs making significant changes and perhaps 3 or so more making smaller independent changes. Having a bunch of different possible things to work on does increase the chance of attracting developers since developers are going to work on what interests them. Of course occasionally they will work on what the community wants that is outside their interests as well.

stargeizer
02-Mar-12, 09:23
I believe Nicholas Bishop is still working on it, but at his own pace.

Another request that slipped my mind:

Snap tools: This is an area that IMHO requires a not so little revamp, but can be realistically done as part of a GSOC. Specifically interaction between objects (since nowadays snapping an vertex of one object and a vertex/edge/face of another objects gives some unpredictable results), and more snap options (on edges: midpoint could be nice, for example) and make some tools act according to snaps (example: Rotate an object around an edge of the same object, or an edge of another object, move an object taking a basepoint located on a edge and to any other snapped location) Of course this is more usefull for those CAD oriented users (sure, sure...) but there are some cases that have nothing to do with CAD that can benefit from it.

And that's it.

LetterRip
02-Mar-12, 09:28
Regarding GSoC projects - I think the community tends to drastically underestimate how many get committed to head. This year we had 15 projects completed, 12 are in head, 1 is partially in head and a core dev and the student are actively bringing the rest to head (sculpt and paint). The remaining two - I just talked with one of the students and he asked me what tasks remained so that he could merge. The other student I haven't reached yet, but his work has a good chance of being merged also now that bmesh is in head.

We do have some past projects that are taking longer than one might hope to merge - often that meant that there was still significant work that the student wished to complete before merging.

LetterRip
02-Mar-12, 09:55
A note - there have been 3 or 4 bug reports listed here that afaik are not in the tracker - please post bugs to the tracker and the developers will likely fix them.

gabenaude
02-Mar-12, 14:01
VSE to,
I agree with eXKR (http://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?53914-eXKR)
if it would be possible to use functions like :Ripple, Roll, Slip and Slide

And blender is already terrific

IanS
02-Mar-12, 18:09
I just found this video and paper on a pretty cool new method to realistically insert synthetic objects into existing photographs.

Might be really useful for Mango and other projects that look to merge Blender's 3D work with real world footage and photography. I think it could make for a great GSoC project.

http://vimeo.com/28962540

Here is where the paper on this can be found for any interested devs:
http://kevinkarsch.com/publications/sa11.html

karamelo
02-Mar-12, 18:22
Render api.
Proxy support in Cycles tobe able to render large scenes (eg. millions of trees, crowds. exc.).
Bmesh polish.

Zalamander
02-Mar-12, 19:56
Proxy support in Cycles tobe able to render large scenes (eg. millions of trees, crowds. exc.).The beauty of raytracing is that it scales well with the amount of geometry and is very well suited for instancing, so there is no point in proxy meshes. I just had a scene setup with 1 million instanced spheres (using duplifaces on a plane) consisting of 40.000 faces each - it worked fine in cycles although the viewport was very sluggish. So you can in fact render billions of polygons using instancing - the problem was that blender locked up when I tried to save it, so I can't show you a picture right now. So that would be my feature request: Better support for editing massive scenes :)

karamelo
02-Mar-12, 20:17
The beauty of raytracing is that it scales well with the amount of geometry and is very well suited for instancing, so there is no point in proxy meshes. I just had a scene setup with 1 million instanced spheres (using duplifaces on a plane) consisting of 40.000 faces each - it worked fine in cycles although the viewport was very sluggish. So you can in fact render billions of polygons using instancing - the problem was that blender locked up when I tried to save it, so I can't show you a picture right now. So that would be my feature request: Better support for editing massive scenes :)

:) same here. I think blender will never be able to view so much poligons, most of the 3d software cant. Best example i think is forest pack for 3ds max (or other scattering plugins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4_uvGccKM
it warns you if the polygon/limit reaches the maximum values and automatically switches to point cloud rendering. Blender can show the high poly objects as boxes but sometimes you have to see the details. I don't know if it can be done in blender. Also there is the modo way (if it is not selected, don't show all poligons).

Instancing/proxies opens the ability to render so much polygons. It is not directly related to modelling/scatering part, it loads the data only once and duplicates it at render time (lesser-faster mesh loading times) Maybe (i hope) brecht will code some support if there will be a scene in mango needs instancing.

Elfaz_Blend
02-Mar-12, 22:24
+1 Forest Pack - Parametric Areas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYk7t19R7OU

Zalamander
02-Mar-12, 23:15
+1 Forest Pack - Parametric Areas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYk7t19R7OU
In theory you should be able to do exactly that with (hair) particles and the vertex weight proximity modifier. However when I tried it I was unable to properly influence the "density" value that way (whereas "length" worked). Probably a bug.

EDIT: I'm referring to the house being moved around at 0:45. The object painting shown is already possible with (hair) particles too.

nirenyang
03-Mar-12, 00:20
addon manage:
sort by version/name/data/supportType/star/etc...

salmonax
03-Mar-12, 03:32
Texturing:

Overlay texture brush image + easy manipulation as demonstrated once upon a time in Nicholas Bishop's video from 2010: http://vimeo.com/13812115 (the vpainting/ptex stuff aside, cost-benefit for the overlay and manipulation alone is mind-boggling)

Other improvements, such as auto-rotating brush texture by stroke direction, perhaps ability to project splines for clothing seams, etc. Sad to see so much power under the hood with so little 3D detailing love.

Crumpet
03-Mar-12, 05:48
Thanks for this opportunity to provide feedback.

For the BGE we've already been indexing suggestions for possible interesting developments.
BGE Roadmap [Suggestions] (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?245061-BGE-Roadmap-Suggestions)

Every suggestion has a dedicated thread in there,..
should we post all these in here or should we stick to the already list in existence (probably best)?

Overview of BGE suggestions:
BGE Roadmap [Suggestions] (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?245061-BGE-Roadmap-Suggestions)

zeauro
03-Mar-12, 05:49
Texture projection
And no, UV project modifier is really not the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eb3yZ7c_1Y&feature=channel_video_title

It is the same thing that transforming Texture Space with Shift T and Shift Alt T.
In 2.49, we could see the result of transformation with this.
http://www.blender.org/typo3temp/pics/83c93eae81.jpg

But in 2.5 or 2.6, we can't see what we are transforming with GLSL shaders when we are working with BI.

matthiss
03-Mar-12, 06:36
VRay integration would be great, until cycles is as quick as Vray :D. I Think the only features because of that 3dsMax is more popular is the perfect VRay, Rayfire and Realflow integration. But Blender will beat them ;)

okapi
03-Mar-12, 07:45
Interface
Further empower the outliner:
- Make drag and drop work for texts, too.
- Implement folders. Null objects would be a perfect fit for that as they would provide a coordinate in 3D space. Workflow could be as follows: Select several objects in the outliner, group them into a folder, the null object would then be located at the median point of those objects and could be altered afterwards. That would provide for keeping things tidy and also offer a neat way for building simple mechanical rigs.
- The ability to toggle status icons/buttons (hide from render, hide from view, lock selection etc.) by dragging over them the way it works i.e. in Photoshop's layer window .
- Box selection without the awkward right click workflow. (Therefore: Make the status buttons react to the box selection)
- Assign modifiers and textures to different objects by drag and drop.

BMesh
- Make the object's origin draggable the way it works in C4D.

Animating
- Non linear animation: The ability to "shift" timelines of instanced objects, so that it is easy to create complexity in animation. Maybe this is already there and I just couldn't find it. But I suspect, this topic is related to the new dependency graph and therefore on hold for now ...
- Given Blender's focus on small studios, motion graphics are common assignments for these. However Blender is lacking some essential features in that area. Some stuff is there, but implemented awkwardly. The array object comes to mind here. I am particularly referring to the object offset method in use right now. A more powerful yet easier to use modifier would be greatly appreciated.
Other than that, I got my hopes high for the new node based particles. I don't know if it is gonna be as powerful as Cinema4D's XPresso, but if it is gonna be, that would be a great leap ahead. Maybe a GSOC project could support the already ongoing efforts in this area?

FreeMind
03-Mar-12, 09:26
- Non linear animation: The ability to "shift" timelines of instanced objects, so that it is easy to create complexity in animation. Maybe this is already there and I just couldn't find it. But I suspect, this topic is related to the new dependency graph and therefore on hold for now ...
NLA editor.

GottfriedHofmann
03-Mar-12, 09:40
- Given Blender's focus on small studios, motion graphics are common assignments for these. However Blender is lacking some essential features in that area. Some stuff is there, but implemented awkwardly. The array object comes to mind here. I am particularly referring to the object offset method in use right now. A more powerful yet easier to use modifier would be greatly appreciated.

There's an advanced array modifier in the making that allows offsets be influenced by noise etc.

okapi
03-Mar-12, 09:41
Thx, FreeMind! :)

Akira_San
03-Mar-12, 11:27
Pie menu would be nice.

Crumpet
03-Mar-12, 11:49
We definitely need an alignment and snap functionality to be extended so it allows to..

align the (selection with it's):
bounding-box-maximum,
bounding-box-minimum,
bounding-box-center,
object-center,
selection center,
parent,

of objects (or selections) in:
global,
local,
view,

to the (align target):
bounding-box-maximum,
bounding-box-minimum,
bounding-box-center,
object-center,
selection center,
parent,

on (one, two or all three) the axis:
x
y
z

to the target object in:
global,
local,
view,

for each (one, two or all three the) translation type(s);
move, (grab)
rotate,
scale.

Alignment and Snap should (also) be done on objects (bounding box) not (just by default) on vertices or faces... :/

There was an AddOn which did some of these alignments for us... but not yet for SNAP functionality.

Sévérino
03-Mar-12, 14:28
YES, for this GOOGLE (and Android...) summer of code :

1__ It will be AWESOME if Blender can EXPORT the GAME made in BGE (Blender Game Engine) for Android
(at least Android !!!?), after may be iOS ;-))) ?? (IT WILL BE GOOD FOR the GOOGLE COMPAGNIE...)

2__ And add : NEWS LOGIC BRICKS = PYTHON CLASSES (to use too in Python scripts...!) : N - FINGERS for
the multi-touches on the tablet-game-screen, interactive home applications, and
interactive public applications, ...

3__ First for BGE and after for Blender Render ;-))) :
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
3a__ A FULL IMPLEMENTATION (ALL inputs and outputs) for microsoft - KINECT
Like : NI MATE ( www.ni-mate.com/use/blender/ (http://www.ni-mate.com/case/case-study-1/) )

3b__ AN INTUITIVE AND AUTOMATISED-MODULE or an SCAR_Logic_Brick :
SCAR = SIMPLY-CARACTER-and-AUTO-RIGGING in the game,
Like : MIXAMO ( www.mixamo.com/c/auto-rigger (http://www.mixamo.com/c/auto-rigger) ),
After, i think, it's easy to use this "module" into Blender Render for REAL-TIME CAPTURES... !!!? ;-)

All, have a GOOD DAY, and BGE Imagination !!! ;-)
Sévérino,

Jason S
03-Mar-12, 14:58
Cloth Simulation CLOTH that really works.
The particles and liquid effects etc are all great and getting frequent upgrades and improvements.
But cloth seems to generally be kept in a dark corner. It's not talked about very often. I haven't really seen any successful implementations of it on a clothed character
( other than the original dancer when it first came out, which was a specific restricted type of animation, no shirt sleeves etc.) For anyone wishing to work with character animation, truly functional cloth is extreemely essential and useful. Until then, I think blenders ability to produce high quality character animation will be limited and cannot compete with the big commercial packages out there.

The major issues I noticed:
cloth gets tangled in itself.
I believe Nathan mentioned this article back during the making of sinter as a possible solution.
http://graphics.pixar.com/library/UntanglingCloth/paper.pdf but maybe there are other solutions of course.

cloth too responsive to air. i.e. it doesn't come to rest fast enough. Any dynamic movements make the cloth respond way too much and fly around. (the recent velocity damping doesn't seem to work, at least on my quick testing of it. It simply slows the cloth and makes it unresponsive to gravity.)

Vertex paint "pinning" fix using a gradation of less than 1% creates wobbly giggly movement.

Solution: Either: Improve add to the code as needed or maybe there are other cloth sim engines available. (I believe someone posted about an open source one a while back)
or rewrite the code from the beginning.

Ideally, one could build their cloth and apply a preset and the cloth would be pretty much functional, behaving close to the preset it represents. cotton, denim etc.
you could even have a virtual fitting room with a lot of specific tools and interface designed for dressing/testing the character.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound too harsh here, I deeply respect and appreciate the efforts that go into coding such complex simulations. I am not a coder and I think you guys are really awesome. Its just that cloth has been a major frustration for me for YEARS and limiting the creative ideas in my head from coming out. :-)

A few other areas that would be nice:

Interface- Generic, Universal Folders, and pop out customizable menus/panels

Folders. A common tool used in countless softwares far less complex than blender.
The ability to create a folder anywhere for anything. ( or almost anything.)
example: create folders in Outliner and then put all your characters in one folder, and props
and background objects in another etc. or create a folders for different poses or actions and arrange them by category. etc, or folders for specific materials etc. Organizing 3D projects items, is essential, especially when working on a complex project.

pop up menus, such as in photoshop or other programs where you could drag out a specific menu
from the interface and have it visible and available all the time independent of where you navigate in blender.

Rigging

The ability to scale an objects mesh and bones at same time, or have one effect the other while in editing mode.

NIce to be able to change bone rotation modes (euller/quanterion) on more than one bone at a time
and or to set the default rotation mode for blender in general.

Thank you for reading this, and giving me the chance to make suggestions. :-)

Jason

Jason S
03-Mar-12, 15:02
Oh, and, Improvements in Hair Are always welcome too!! :-D

Moolah
03-Mar-12, 16:59
This is my full wishlist probably. I hope to see two or three from these in GSoC.

BMesh Modeling - parametric modelling (node based probably), like Houdini but in Blender's way ;) (faster and smarter)
Particle Simulation - node based particles
Particle Simulation - complete Hair (collisions at least)
Hard Physics Simulation - Phymec tools
Hard Physics Simulation - Viscoelastic simulation (I saw the guy on youtube who started doing this already)
Fluid Simulation - FluidSim and SmokeSim GPU boosted, fast Fluid Particles polygonizer
Hard Physics Simulation - recursion destruction physics, node based mesh destruction tools and so on. Here I'll explain what I mean:

First... maybe "recursion destruction physics" is already on plans or it's like it works I don't know :)
Second... it's when you can set up a physic scene and point to all possible interactions (when you sure about it) between concrete objects also controlling their properties by vert.groups with weights. And you will make decisions about what type of destruction you'll get from concrete reactions (so it can be done without entering all proper phys. properties for objects but just choosing desirable effects - "sphere crash or directed cone crash" for example). Link this with node based particles and it will be the ideal CG FX machine (as I see it). Probably it will be faster than letting do all proper physic calculations. Maybe some shortcuts also (like prepared 3d patterns for splitting meshes to pieces).

Modifiers - node-able modifiers' stack :) I know it's out of categories but make sense (as I see it).

Piotr Adamowicz
04-Mar-12, 03:05
This just came up:

Make Proportional editing work with X-Mirror editing. Important for sculpting, removes the need for a transpose tool.

Chuk_Chuk
04-Mar-12, 03:16
This may be now possible with Bmesh but one thing i would like is the ability to select 2 edge loops and then delete edge loops at the same time. This could also expand to being able to slide 2 or more edgle loops (that do not intersect) at the same time.
Also selecting 3 or more vetices one side of a mesh and 3 or more on another side then filling them and getting the same result as if you were filling them one at a time.

Sago
04-Mar-12, 03:51
Make Proportional editing work with X-Mirror editing. Important for sculpting, removes the need for a transpose tool.

Sculpting has it's own mirror function, so it's only related to edit mode.

But it'd be nice if proportional edit + X Mirror can work again. I used it a lot for creating shapekeys. And it always worked fine for me.
There are some workarounds though.

Piotr Adamowicz
04-Mar-12, 03:58
Sculpting has it's own mirror function, so it's only related to edit mode.

Sculpting has mirror function but no rotate/transpose tool.
Edit mode has x-mirror that doesn't work with proportional editing.
Mirror modifier works with proportional editing but doesn't work with Multires.

Because these tools all somehow refuse to work together, there's no way to rotate anything on a sculpt and maintain symmetry. Fixing any of these problems would be great.

Sago
04-Mar-12, 04:05
I understand what you're saying. So what we need is A) a function to rotate in sculpt mode and B) x-mirror + proportional edit working together again.

I haven't seen much of Transpose, so I can't say if that would solve A

Piotr Adamowicz
04-Mar-12, 04:41
I understand what you're saying. So what we need is A) a function to rotate in sculpt mode and B) x-mirror + proportional edit working together again.

Yup. Doing either A(together with the masking functionality that is now being tested) or B will work just fine. The transpose tool is just a fancy name and UI for mask+rotate.

3pointEdit
04-Mar-12, 04:47
Returning briefly to VSE / sequencer.

Leterrip has a great laundry list of submissions. And ripple editing is a usefull suggestion. But I think that a key issue has been missed in the VSE.

That is the need for actual edit selection tools. Source media in point/out poiont and Timeline in point or out point.
It is described here: http://blendervse.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/vse-an-editors-layout/

In short
My original gripe, was Blenders lack of traditional “Trim source” to “Master timeline”. Quick history lesson follows:
1. People typically watch the world through thier eyes, in small pieces. Try looking from one place in your room to another. Done that? Ok, do it again but this time pay attention to your blinking. As your eye pans away you blink before reframing or changing shot. This is an edit.
2. As moving pictures became popular, people developed the need to tell stories, but for economical reasons story-time had to be truncated (books take waaaay to long). That and film rolls loaded into cameras were pretty short. So time was contracted (by leaving stuff out), that is a new kind of edit.
3. First film and later non-linear (tape sucks) allowed people to re-introduce shots that were trimmed out, this a time expansion edit.
To achieve these edits we need to know 3 key bits of information.
Depending on the filmed action, where should the shot begin?
Depending on story, where should the shot go?
Lastly,
Depending on both/either of the above, where should the shot end?
So that would be,
Source edit IN point.
Master edit IN point.
then,
Source OR master, edit OUT point.
That is a 3 Point Edit.
Blender doesn’t really do this…

sadaj72
04-Mar-12, 05:26
Density based outlier rejection in cycles
PDF: http://gfx.cs.princeton.edu/pubs/DeCoro_2010_DOR/outliers.pdf

galonce
04-Mar-12, 06:58
As an animator, I think some of the most important large scale improvements would be:

* Drastically improved and usable cloth simulations
* Motion blur in Cycles
* Particles in Cycles

Fweeb
04-Mar-12, 10:26
...there's no way to rotate anything on a sculpt and maintain symmetry. Fixing any of these problems would be great.
Takes a minute or two to set up, but, assuming your sculpt is roughly symmetric, you could use an armature with L/R naming conventions, auto-assign vertex weights, rotate the left (or right) bone, and then use the copy pose and paste flipped operators. An enterprising spirit could automate the process a bit with some Python so it could be done in fewer steps.

Short version: there *is* a way, it just needs to be sped up a bit.

Piotr Adamowicz
04-Mar-12, 10:40
If you can actually do that in a minute or two while guaranteeing symmetry and centerline, my hat's off to you. It would make a great quick tip for Blendercookie. But still, it shouldn't take an experienced rigger to do this and fixing x-symmetry to work with proportional editing seems like low-hanging fruit.

Fweeb
04-Mar-12, 10:49
...fixing x-symmetry to work with proportional editing seems like low-hanging fruit.
I discussed this with theeth when he first made the change. It's not.

(jay)
04-Mar-12, 10:59
I feel like I'm missing something here- PET works with the mirror modifier, is there a reason not to use the modifier? In my experience the x-mirror was a bit flaky to begin with but no issues with mirror modifier.

Moolah
04-Mar-12, 11:09
I forgot about this wish :)

BMesh Modelling - editing plane switches or just "Shift + [axis]" replacement. It's very useful because many people do this thing a lot of time. It will be just sweet to have a switcher with three buttons that will be switch between an axis to ignore. It's about Grab, Scale, Rotate operations. Maybe it's about UI, so if it's true then I had choose the wrong category.

I think it's very simple and fine. This will not take much place in existing UI. Also it can be done with enable/disable function (through prefs or "+" sign on the panel)

edi
04-Mar-12, 11:59
Oh I would love to see:

smoke simulator supporting moving obstacles
isosurface generation for SPH

kattkieru
04-Mar-12, 12:15
Alembic support:

The basics:
- Import through a mesh modifier or a new object type.
- Export of polygon meshes, per-frame export of fluids as polygons, and particle caches.
- Ability to edit Alembic caches with sculpting tools and / or the modifier stack, as well as the ability to re-export the cache.
- Sub-frame sampling on export (extremely important).

Dreams:
- Hair curve Alembic cache.
- Alembic instancing support.

If Blender had at least the basics I could use it at work in our Maya / Houdini pipeline.

Piotr Adamowicz
04-Mar-12, 12:19
I discussed this with theeth when he first made the change. It's not.
Hmm. Too bad then. I'm out of ideas.

I feel like I'm missing something here- PET works with the mirror modifier, is there a reason not to use the modifier? In my experience the x-mirror was a bit flaky to begin with but no issues with mirror modifier.

Yeah, proportional editing works with mirror, but you can't have multires on top of mirror. The idea is to allow you to fix the pose of a character while sculpting. Most of the time even an experienced artist will get the pose/posture wrong when sculpting from a simple basemesh.

Fuzzy
04-Mar-12, 13:16
Regarding the simulation issues, I still think that it would be a huge step for blender being a better vfx tool if the physbam library would get implemented. It is the backbone for ILMs simulation work (among others) and it's being developed externally, which would solve the problem of abandonment we currently see with the fluid sim for example. It is released under a compatible license and it's in a stable state. Another big plus it has are unified domains, so interactions between different simulations are possible (e.g. burning liquids).
For more information check its homepage: http://physbam.stanford.edu/

Regards, Tobi

Conz3D
04-Mar-12, 13:22
My greatest whishes:

Outliner:
If you click on one icon for eye/arrow/camera (visibility/rendereability/selectable) and drag the mouse over more eyes/arrows/cameras and release the mouse button, than that option should be set for all objects you rolled over.

UI: at the 20 layer icons in the 3D view: there the active layer should be in some way highlighted. (The active layer is the layer where blender creates new objects like boxs and spheres). Try to add a new object with more than one layer visible and it's no clear on which layer blender will create the new object. (it's the last activated layer, or the first layer if you deselect one layer before)

generated textures: The generated textures should have a time setting, to animate them (for BI and Cycles). The generated textures have only three dimensions, to animate them you have to transform the texture in one direction. But for volumetric textures or generated textures which you want to animate, there you need a fourth dimension (time).

Nodes: The nodes for compositing which are modifing an image, should be accessible from other node trees, too. (eg. to blur a map in cycles-material or BI-Material nodes.)

Jonathan L
04-Mar-12, 15:52
Regarding the simulation issues, I still think that it would be a huge step for blender being a better vfx tool if the physbam library would get implemented.

Wow, from what I see on the website, that would be fantastic. Are they still working on those things, or are they just improving what they have? either way I say one way or another, better physics is a must if Blender is going to be used for VFX. Right now it is ok, but really it is not quite up to par in that area.

Edit: I know that a few people are actually working on physics right now, someone is doing demolition and another person is integrating rigid body physics, but if we use an external library does that mean all that effort would go to waste? On the other hand, what works best works best and we should use that right? I mean most of out physics options don't even work with each other.

MadMesh
05-Mar-12, 03:44
This has been on my wish list a long time:
- OpenGL viewport renders should render to a different directory then the "actual" final renders.

I use the OpenGL viewport render feature a lot, and you dont want to accidently overwrite a night worth of rendering with an OpenGL rendering.

Maybe the ouput directory of your final renders would get a _preview directory by default where your OpenGL renders go.

dsavi
05-Mar-12, 04:08
I think PhysBAM integration is #1 for me on GSoC.

Zalamander
05-Mar-12, 05:00
you dont want to accidently overwrite a night worth of rendering with an OpenGL rendering.
If that is your worry, do the following: Write a bug report lamenting the fact that the "overwrite" safeguard does not work for OpenGL renders (in my eyes, this is a bug)

In that bug report, hide the notion that it would be good if there was an option like you described. I still believe the chances that such a request will get fulfilled is close to Nil, but posting in here is even less likely to catch the attention of anyone relevant.

tyrant monkey
05-Mar-12, 05:22
I think PhysBAM integration is #1 for me on GSoC.

Don't we already have Bullet, I think better bullet integration would be the way to go.