PDA

View Full Version : BSoD: Introduction to Character Animation tutorial

Pages : 1 [2]

auttiexwaki
11-Jun-08, 20:21
Heyy.. okay I'm not sure if you even look at this forum any more. But I am super confused. You forgot to mention in your tutorial about Top View and Front View...and the plane.. See when I add a plane in front view, all I can see is a thin line, and Top View is where I can see the whole plane. So, to fix this I just rotated the plane around until I could see it in front view. However, this mixed me up even more!!!

I just delted my mouth because I got so frustrated with it. Here's my problem:

I am at the step where you are Shaping The Mouth. See I go into top view. and my view of the plane is entirely different!! And there is no way I can make mine look like yours. I think this might be because I cheated the views in the beginning when I added my plane mesh.

I guess all i really need to know is, even though I'm in front view when I add my plane, how should it look?

Thanks in advanced!! I really want to do this but I'm kind-a-sort-a new to Blender.. and I really just want to cry!! Hopefully you can get back to me!!!

auttiexwaki
11-Jun-08, 20:36
okay./ now I really am crying. I tried it again but without rotaing the plane around in front view. and it still looked nothing like the one in the tutorial!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

oh, and when I press O i have different options. Should I choose: Smooth Falloff, Sphere Falloff, Roof Fall off, Sharp Falloff, Linear Falloff, Random Falloff, or Constant Falloff????

petrikNZ
14-Jun-08, 20:27
Blend file attached, managed to work it on the rig, still working when armature attached to mesh, somewhere after that it died. Now if I try to move (g) the last finger bone it only rotates, curling the fingers. I connected the shoulder, upper arms bones again and tried to work backwards in that regard, but no matter what I do I can not get auto IK back working.

Upper body is done, armature, weight painted, but no IK????

marabu
18-Jun-08, 13:20
hello and first of all thank you, ryan, for this great tutorial! i started my exploration of blender only two weeks ago, and this was really much help. so in finally managed to get all this modelling and ripping and weight painting done and now i come across

one problem: the eyes.

whenever i track the eyeballs to the duplicated head-bone, the poor little fellow looks gets extremely cross-eyed, staring at the tip of his non-existent nose - no matter how far i move the bone away from the head. did i miss anything before? is there a way to work around this problem? thanks in advance for any advices!

adimperium
24-Jun-08, 21:03
I just want to say that this tutorial was how I got started with Blender. I tried to figure the program out but made no headway until I found it. So.. uh.. thanks. Haha. A lot. Like, you have no idea.

Mike_S
25-Jun-08, 16:16
one problem: the eyes.

whenever i track the eyeballs to the duplicated head-bone, the poor little fellow looks gets extremely cross-eyed, staring at the tip of his non-existent nose - no matter how far i move the bone away from the head. did i miss anything before? is there a way to work around this problem? thanks in advance for any advices!

If you post your .blend file, I'll take a look at it, otherwise I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Mike

Mike_S
25-Jun-08, 16:31
no matter what I do I can not get auto IK back working.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the auto-ik, actually I never use auto-ik.

I recommend you setup "standard" IK as described here :

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Improved_Foot_Rig

Mike

wdd
03-Jul-08, 20:31
I've gotten to the blinking part on the final animation page and discovered that my sliders for the eyelids don't make them move. When I change from one shape back to the eyelids they are fully closed but as soon as I move the slider they open completely and won't do anything after that. This is preventing me from setting keys for blinking. What have I done wrong? Thanks.

marabu
09-Jul-08, 15:28
thanks for offering your help, mike_s, but meanwhile i used all those armature-instructions on another character, and suddenly it worked. don't know why.

Lozoot
10-Jul-08, 20:16
Hi. First off, I'd like to say that this is an excellent tutorial, it has helped me bunches.
Now to the problem. I am currently on the "Animate a Walkcycle" chapter. In the "flipping the pose" section. Once i select all bones and copy the pose, i move to frame 11, and am told to click the "paste flipped pose" button. Only problem is, that button isn't there for me. I see the down arrow, and the up arrow. But the arrow with the reverse symbol is no where to be found. I can't seem to find it. Is there a way to enable it?

PapaSmurf
10-Jul-08, 22:31
In the action editor header, it is the arrow pointing up out of the cloud.

wdd
12-Jul-08, 16:29
I also have another problem with the lip sync where when I try to move the facial animation to another part of the timeline, the mouth still opens on frame 1 and stays open until it gets to the strip.

marabu
17-Jul-08, 02:21
wdd, try and select all the "diamonds" for the mouth in the action editor, press "g" and move them where you want them to be. it worked for me.

Commiecomrade
18-Jul-08, 13:40
Very useful. Thank you very much for your tutorial.

Liliumalice
20-Jul-08, 16:35
I have a question involving an issue I've stumbled upon in Blender version 2.46,
I was just introduced to Blender at the start of this week by a mentor of mine for a project I am doing involving creating an NPC that can learn. I was to use Blender to create my NPC, rig it, and animate it. I was absolutely intimidated by all the buttons in it and all the things you could do with them. Then I found this tutorial, quite the life saver it is, and I have been able to create my NPC (with a minor exception of no hair since the hair keeps going through her skull when I comb it down after growing it in Blender....). I got as far as giving her an armature when I ran into a problem, when you select a part of the armature, such as the right upper arm bone, and go to paint it, it never worked for me. I then managed to paint the skin with it by making it a group but, when I moved the bone, the skin wouldn't follow. Would anyone have any idea as how to get around this problem? I'd really appreciate the help, thank you for taking your time to read this.

rubinski
22-Jul-08, 16:36
Hallo! I just started with Charakter Animation in Blender. I worked trough the Charakter-Animation Tutorial in The Essential Blender-Book. Everything was okay, accept one thing. If I repeat the walkcycle in the NLA Hank does not walk continously in space but after every 21 Frames he flips back to the point where he started at frame 1. How can he continue to walk and make Blender-Units after the other? Hope my english is possible to understand. Greetings, rubinski!

quantumryan
25-Jul-08, 18:04
Hello,

I've just started using Blender and I'm following this tutorial but I can't get started because when I do the first thing, the Add Plane via Space>>Add>>Mesh>>Plane, it isn't oriented to the view. I've search for an hour and a half, trying to figure out what might be wrong (or right or different) but when I add the plane, it isn't oriented with the view.

I have blender 2.46 installed on my laptop, which is where I'm having problems. On my inferior desktop I have 2.45 installed which does orient properly. I want to use my laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
QR

naturalpainter
25-Jul-08, 20:56
It's very easy to rotate the plane just using the N key, but you can set blender to align to view all new objects. Just pull down the upper menu and select Edit methods.

Spikerock
30-Jul-08, 05:13
Hello,
I am following this tutorial from the PDF file. I noticed that the text is missing for "Create a pupil material". There is only 2 images showing but no text. I found the documentation online now, from the link at the first post. Just thought i should mention.
Great tutorial, i realy enjoy going through it step by step and see my "plane" turn into a being :) Thank you.
Regards,
Spikerock

Spikerock
30-Jul-08, 05:36
Hello,

I just finished my characters mesh and applied the mirror modifier to it, so i can start the rigging part of the tutorial. I didn't get any warning messages (I had the body mesh selected, clicked apply next to the modifier).

After i did this i can no longer pan my view with Ctrl+ Num2 (4-6-8). Instead it now hides my button panel and gives me a larger 3d view window.
I already tried to undo my last moves with Ctrl+Z , but i still cant get it back as it was. I think i may have pushed a wrong button, but i dont know wich one.

Ctrl + Num6 will now cycle through different viewing points, including one with some sort of timeline. :eek: I use Blender 2.46

Any help would be very much appreciated.

EDIT: found the button, i pressed NumLock and it worked again. (Doh)

DArtagnon
04-Aug-08, 19:34
RESOLVED: I am just an idiot, simple as that. I thought the button was supposed to be in the Action Editor window instead of the 3d View, and I kept shrinking the 3d View down to look at as much of the Action Editor as possible, so I never saw the paste flipped pose button.

This tutorial sure was helpful and taught me a lot.

I am stuck, however. I don't have a 'paste flipped pose' button and I don't know why. I do have the 'copy' and 'paste' which look like red arrows pointing down/up.

I have a picture, but I think my last post was auto-erased when I put a link to it, so if anyone is specifically interested in seeing it or looking at my .blend file to see if they can find the issue, please PM me.

I forgot to include that I'm running Windows Blender 2.46 and have Python 2.5.
I downloaded the tutorial file that was linked just after the walk-cycle-animation page and it doesn't have the flipper either.

I installed Python after Blender, so do you think it isn't registering the function because it didn't initialize when I first ran Blender?

nborozco
13-Aug-08, 15:01

DArtagnon
14-Aug-08, 17:59
Make sure that you didn't accidentally extrude and then cancel the extrusion. The points will stay there, and then it's easy to make a weird face.

nborozco
19-Aug-08, 17:04

nborozco
19-Aug-08, 18:12

burns
26-Aug-08, 07:41
solution found

feejo
24-Oct-08, 15:52
So far I am having 2 problems, one is the p.19, can't extrude the 3th time. Is there a video of this tutorial. Also when on p.19 again, trying to loop Cut, I do CTRL+R but the pink line dose not want to appear at the right place. I receive often: Could Not order the loop. Also it appear (the pink) on the right place,then I press LMB and got the message again Could Not order the loop.

I fix my extrusion problem, but here is why I could not order loop

Tools don't work on Modifiers: In general, you cannot use any tool on a mirrored side, as that side is just a mirror image of the primary side. Tools also do not work on subsurfed or multires "edges" shown; use the tool by working on vertices/edges/faces on the primary part of your mesh when using a modifier.

Source http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Edge_and_Face_Tools

That explain why I can't go any further with that tutorial I have v 2.48

forthfriend2
08-Nov-08, 20:46
Thanks for the tutorial! It was very helpful at first, until I found a way to make the armatures automatically, yes AUTOMATICALLY weight paint themselves. You may or may not know about this... And you probably will try it and make your own tutorial that is really more explanitory than this. It is such a good method and SO MUCH time saving, that I thought I would tell you about it too add to your tutorial.

Tutorial (SHORT):

Select the mesh (Say a deer).

Shift+Select the Armature (Already fully boned, etc.).

Press Ctrl+P.

Select Armature.

Select Create From Bone Heat.

Walla! It automatically weight paints it for you! I repeat FOR YOU! Automatically! WOW! You just need to tweek it a little bit (just like your tutorial except just weight painting what the bone heat parenting didn't get) and you have a FULLY SET UP armature all done!

End Tutorial

So I hope you can add that, just a tip.

I'm going to try and create a tutorial on blenderartists and (http://forum.nystic.com/ nystic).

Thanks for your tutorial!

richard5008
16-Dec-08, 11:57
I've searched through the forum but haven't found anything relating to my problem so I must be doing something wrong.

I'm working through the excellent tutorial in the title of this thread but got stuck on "http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Upper_body_weight_painting".

Everything seems to work fine up to the point where I try to rotate the upper_arm.l (Rotating upper_arm.l: the mesh move along). The mesh(in red) does not move alone with the armature, that is, only the armature rotates leaving the mesh(in red) in place.

I then select another armature (lower_arm.l) to do more weight painting but the previously painted (red) mesh reverts back to blue. I assumed this is normal so that the next armature and vertices can be clearly defined but I cannot paint anything else. I re-select upper_arm.l but the previously painted vertices are not red but remain blue and I cannot paint again. I hope this is understandable.

Any help with this excellent tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

richard5008
16-Dec-08, 12:26
Excellent tutorial!

But I have a problem that I can't find a solution to. I'm using Blender version 2.48 w/Python 2.5.2.

I worked through the tutorial up till: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Upper_body_weight_painting

Everything works per the tutorial until: "Select the upper_arm.l bone and rotate it (r). The mesh deforms along with the bone." The mesh (in red) does not deform with the rotation of the armature.

I then select lower_arm.l and try to use the weight paint method but nothing happens except the previously selected mesh that was in red turns to blue, most likely as it should do. The mesh remains blue when I try to use the weight paint brush. I reselect upper_arm.l but again everything remains blue.

There seems to be nothing I can do in Blender to use the weight paint option again other than quit and try again.

Any help or workaround would be greatly appreciated.

alnano
07-Jan-09, 00:25
ok i got confused on the subdividing i pressed a then i went edit mode i selected the left side pressed x
and the part of the other side went out also am using version 2.46

revolt_randy
10-Jan-09, 22:37
Hi all!

First off, great tutorials Ryan and Mike. I did stumble a few times, but I made it through them. I am happy with the character I made and want to further animate him, but I've hit a brick wall.

My problem is that I have rigged the character with a stride bone like Mike suggests. I have even been through the tutorial on stride bones at http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/NLA_Editor_and_Stride_Path and pretty much understand that. My character when using the stride bone, the armature moves and so does the meshes on it's level, but the main mesh located on a different level do not follow the armature. The master bone will move the mesh, but the stride bone will not move the mesh. I even went back to an earlier revision of the file, and still the same result. A simple .blend file of what I am talking about is here http://www.4shared.com/file/79993820/ca2861d2/CharacterTut_10a.html

Any help would be appreciated...
Randy

revolt_randy
11-Jan-09, 16:01
sorry for the double post

Mike_S
16-Jan-09, 20:04
Hi all!

First off, great tutorials Ryan and Mike.

The tutorial is all Ryan's ... aside from my meagre 1 page contribution :)

I'll take a look at your file, though I haven't been "blendering" for awhile, it will give men an excuse to (try) to get up to speed with the current version.

My "modified" rig, was never setup for the "stride-bone / stride path", method. Frankly, in the older versions of blender (< 2.40 or so), I could never understand or get the stride bone to work.

I did experiment with the "offset method " : a bit
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81488

(not sure if there is an updated wiki page for that, I'll look for it).

Mike

taus
19-Jan-09, 07:15
Awsome tutorial.

I have run in to a problem though. I am doing the weight paint of the upper body and most of it is working out ok, but there is some problem with the upper arm. When i move it there seems to be a part the moving "slower". i have attached of how it shows if i move the arm upwards.

the weight is painted all the way round. I even tried to paint the entire arm for the upper arm bone and it's still there.

Mike_S
20-Jan-09, 21:04
You most probably have more than one vertex group (bone) influencing the mesh at that area.

You can check two ways :

1) In weight paint mode, SH-LMB an area of the mesh, a popup dialog will indicate which vertex group(s) are assigned.

or

2) In edit mode (for the mesh), use the editing buttons (F9) / vertex groups panel. The bb(ox) select is handy with the vertex group panel. (Press bb, a circular "cursor" appears (numpad + - resizes it), LMB selects verts, alt-LMB deselects.

Mike

taus
21-Jan-09, 10:31
thanks that was it.. the shoulder bone was influencing a little part of the arm:)

sadicote
02-Feb-09, 05:24
Thank you for a fully self-sufficient platform for beginners. I am on page 20 where we shape the mouth in the front view by proportional editing the rightmost vertex. However, i am getting a concave surface in the top view even though i have moved that vertex in the positive z direction when in the front view. I can always rotate the view manually to get the required convex side but then i wouldn't be able to move ahead with this thing nagging at the back of my mind. Please help

sadicote
03-Feb-09, 23:26
Hi, I am sorry but even though i read through the modelling part of the tutorial, i chose the default make human object and extruded my armatures inside it as per page 100. Next i added the modifier, went to pose mode, selected the human mesh, hit Ctrl+Tab and entered weight paint mode, but i just cannot select any bone, i mean by right clicking it, nothing happens when i right click any place where the bone is, to weight paint. Could you please tell me what i am doing wrong?

Mike_S
04-Feb-09, 04:57
The armature has to be in pose mode, (select it and hit CTR-TAB).
(or use the Object/Edit/Pose dropdown selector (in the window border))

It's somewhat confusing (or not?) that CTR-TAB is the hot key for both the mesh(weight paint / object mode), and for the armature (POSE mode / Object mode). It would be nice if the armature automatically switched to pose mode when a mesh (with an armature modifier attached) is switched to weight paint mode.

Mike

sadicote
05-Feb-09, 04:00
Went to Blender repository, got a low poly male model, removed all vertex groups, deleted modifier and deleted armature.
Next rigged upper body as in the tutorial, added modifier, went to pose mode, selected mesh and 'CTrl+Tab'-bed to enter weight paint mode, managed to paint the first bone and that's it. When i selected any other bone it couldn't be painted, a white circle appeared everytime i clicked around the bone. Also, after adding the modifier, the mesh wouldn't move with the armature in pose mode. I am a total noob, desperately need to do this right to be able to begin a project independently. Do i need to make child-parent or something before weight painting, and pose mode?

Richard5008 and I seem to be having the same problem.

Mike_S
06-Feb-09, 19:07
Are you using 2.48 ?

After adding the armature modifier, have you filled in the name of the armature in the modifier?

If you just add a cube and extrude it a few times, then an armature, then add the armature modifier does weight painting work?

If yes and yes, you might want to post your blend file somewhere and I'll take a look at it. 4shared.com is a good free site for file hosting

Mike

Falcron
07-Mar-09, 17:34
Thanks alot Mike, that saved my werewolf''s rig. :) :D :p

Blonder
09-Mar-09, 04:41
Doesn't BSoD stand for Blue Screen of Death? I loved the tut but the name makes it sound like malware. I still use the foot rig.

HaldirsBestMate
12-Mar-09, 08:06
Thanks for a fantastic tutorial, very helpful.

However, I'm having an issue with the Action Editor. For some reason when I make keyframes for the bones, no channels or keys show up in the Action Editor. Does anyone know why this might be? I'm running Blender 2.48a.

Conor
13-Mar-09, 05:08
I'm new to blender and am trying this tutorial. I am having a problem with the creating a mouth part. I am probably overlooking something very basic, but when I am scaling the first extrusion, the scaling ignores the mirror and picks a point in the middle of the object, and scales either towards it or away from it. If I scale up, the scaled edges go into the mirrored part, if I scale down, the the joint between the object and the mirrored part split apart. Any Idea what I have overlooked

fire.garden
22-Mar-09, 20:32
Hi Marenzelleria, I am up to the stage where I am rigging the upper body. I have managed to get the characters left arm, torso and head to move fine with the mesh and have just attached the eyes to the head. For some reason when I weightpaint the characters right arm and attempt to pose it from the tip of the right finger, the lower half of the body and some vertices from the head get dragged along with the right arm.
Can you please give me any advice on how to resolve this? Many thanks!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/Fire_garden_suite/PosingError.jpg
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/Fire_garden_suite/?action=view&current=PosingError.jpg

Conor
01-Jun-09, 10:57
Hi

This is a great tutorial, I'm learning a lot from it.

I have a problem though. When I try to paint the vertices, the Blue image of the character is so in the shade that I can't see the red paint. I have tried moving the light sorce, but it doesn't seem to change anything, any ideas what I have over looked?

thanks alot
Conor

Mike_S
01-Jun-09, 11:59
Hi

This is a great tutorial, I'm learning a lot from it.

I have a problem though. When I try to paint the vertices, the Blue image of the character is so in the shade that I can't see the red paint. I have tried moving the light sorce, but it doesn't seem to change anything, any ideas what I have over looked?

thanks alot
Conor

You can either rotate the model, rotate the view, or if you want to adjust the viewport lighting, drag down the top window border to expose the user preferences, then on the System& OpenGL tab, click/drag on the "globes" under the Solid OpenGl Lights section.

Conor
02-Jun-09, 04:18
thanks Mike
I adjusted the globes and it did the trick. This is one powerful program.

Conor
04-Jun-09, 04:16
I'm probably overlooking something very basic, but I cant get the slider in the action editor,

can anyone help?

Conor

Mike_S
04-Jun-09, 10:22
I'm probably overlooking something very basic, but I cant get the slider in the action editor,

can anyone help?

Conor

Are you using version 2.48 or later ?

The action editor has a dropdown in it's header, (Grease Pencil / ShapeKey / Action). For shapekeys, it needs to be in ... uh .. ShapeKey mode ;)

After adding shape keys to a mesh a clickable "arrow" icon should appear in the action editor beside the 'Sliders' label. If you dont' see it, resize the window (LMB /drag on the window border). Then LMB on the arrow Icon to togglel the display of the sliders.

Conor
05-Jun-09, 06:00
Hi Mike,

thanks for your help. I got the slider window open.

I have just fiished the tutorial, and it was great. I learned alot. Has anyone got any suggestions for a good follow on tutorial, I still consider myself to still be a new beginner with Blender, but I'd like to try putting the character into a room and have it interact with something, maybe pick up an object, or am I running ahead of myself?

I will be recomending Blender and this tutorial to other people

Thanks again

Conor

Mike_S
05-Jun-09, 11:47
A "room" can be as simple as few cubes placed together.

To pickup an object, you can put a copy location constraint on the object to be picked up, with the target being either the character's "hand" bone, or another bone you've added to the rig, i.e. a "pickup bone".

The constraint influence can be key framed (turned off / on).

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/Guided_tour/Const/index#The_Constraint_Panel

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/Guided_tour/Const/cl

Having a separate bone, gives you the flexibility of moving it around, to be able to position the object more precisely.

Conor
10-Jun-09, 11:48
Hi Mike thanks for the advice on building a room

I have back tracked a little. I am attempting to add more detail to the figure I created in Ryans excellent tutorial. I have found that when I attemp to add a loop cut to a piece that has already been extruded out, that the loop cut causes a pinching effect that I cant get rid of. Has anyone got any suggestions about how to get around the pinching effect?

Mike_S
10-Jun-09, 15:53
Sorry, I don't know about the modelling problem.

Did you get the constraint / pickup working ?

Conor
11-Jun-09, 04:53
Hi Mike

I haven't tried the constraint/pickup yet, I decided to revamp the model first. But I will try it shortly and I'll let you know how I got on

all the best

Conor

Mike_S
11-Jun-09, 11:20
For your modeling problem, you might want to start a thread in the support / modeling section.

shakingspear
11-Jun-09, 19:40
I'm off to a bad start. When I create a plane in Front View it's 2D (just a straight line). Do I have some settings wrong?

Conor
12-Jun-09, 04:03
HI shakingspear

I had a similar problem when I did this tutorial. my solution was to press AA to select the plane. Press num pad 3 to change to side view. press R 90 to rotate the plane 90 degrees.
When you press num pad 1 you should then see the plane as its meant to be.

If you do this , latter in the tutorial when it comes to applying the weight paint, you will find that the lighting is to dark. Mike S. provided me with a solution for this, see his reply #301 above

good luck, I found it was a great tutorial

PlumGatePicture
01-Jul-09, 12:30
I'm currently having trouble with the subsurf modifier, which is not carrying over the vertices that I extruded to begin forming the arm hole (the first ones in the tutorial that we extrude on their own, not as faces), nor any vertices extruded from it, which has resulted in two creases along the underside of the arm. I actually noticed the vertices were being treated differently back when I tried to loop select the arm hole for the arm extrusion. The entire arm hole would not select together, only one half, involving the orginal mesh, and then the other half, involving the issue vertices. How to I make Blender treat this area of the model as one uniform mesh?

Thanks,
Sarah

PlumGatePicture
01-Jul-09, 14:37
Well I tried recalculating normals before and it didn't fix the problem but I just tried it again on whim and the subsurf is fixed! The loop select still isn't working as I would expect, still can't loop select around the arm hole, but that's a small worry. I'm back on track!

Azmagar
13-Jul-09, 02:50
Hey! Fantastic tutorial, I'm sure you've heard it enough. I'm a beginner and reading this stuff has given me hope. I've done a few models, some following other tutorials as well, and I'm trying so hard to weight paint, like in building the upper armature, but what happens is I select the bone, paint it, move the bone...and nothing happens. I have the modifier turned on, and the bone settings the same as yours...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vigilance
30-Jul-09, 12:39
Hi, I'm having some trouble with rigging. After my character's hand is rigged, I get a hook like defect when I try to rotate the top end inwards... http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156371 The blend file is in that thread, and despite skateboard kids generous efforts, the defect is still pretty prominent. What do I have to do to get better deformation?

kzkmz01
07-Nov-09, 22:07
I've got to the point where I need to add the lip sync action to the NLA editor - but I have no plane in the editor. How do I add the plane/lip sync to the editor? Okay I've jumped ahead of myself and just found out how by scrolling down the guide a bit!!

I've got the same problem, but can't find the solution - can someone help me please?

kzkmz01
07-Nov-09, 22:11
Panic over - I hadn't named the lip sync action - as soon as I did the plane appeared in the NLA - sorry :)

richy00
24-Jan-10, 03:56
Just wanna say thanks for the tutorial, i'm studying 3D game design with this program at uni this year so it was a perfect head start. So yeah good stuff man :)

richy00
24-Jan-10, 04:01
PS when you have the action editor open you can change it from an action editor to a shape key editor (there's a menu to change it just to right of the "key" menu in that window), this lets you play with all your shape key sliders at once without needing to create a new action. (v2.49 anyway)

mayid
26-Jan-10, 18:31
I'm not sure if i'm loosing something. But there's still an "illegal" movement in here:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7397/estiramiento.th.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/estiramiento.jpg/)

btw: i'm on blender 2.5... having almost solved some texture and rigging issues to match the steps between the different versions.

DaveMaha
22-Feb-10, 15:00
Hello,

I am looking for the button X-Axis Mirror of Editing Options in the panel Armature in Blender 2.50a1. Where can I find it?

http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/thumb/3/30/BSoD-ItCA-rigging-52.jpg/250px-BSoD-ItCA-rigging-52.jpg

Greetings,
Dave

RedHugh82
02-Mar-10, 11:07
On page 25, after selecting the outer edge loop, I get a different perspective when I go to side view.

NumPad 3 for Side View.
O to turn off proportional editing for now.
E to extrude
Move the new vertices back a little (Extrude edgeloop back . . .)
LMB to confirm the move
With the just-extruded vertices still selected, press S to scale the new loop up, LMB to confirm (. . . and scale
it up').

The attached picture shows what I get when I use side view, and when I try to extrude the vertices there is no Extrude edgeloop back option.

I was excited to find the right thread and fix what I did wrong, so any help is extremely appreciated! :)

RedHugh82
02-Mar-10, 11:27
On page 25, after selecting the outer edge loop, I get a different perspective when I go to side view.

NumPad 3 for Side View.
O to turn off proportional editing for now.
E to extrude
Move the new vertices back a little (Extrude edgeloop back . . .)
LMB to confirm the move
With the just-extruded vertices still selected, press S to scale the new loop up, LMB to confirm (. . . and scale
it up').

The attached picture shows what I get when I use side view, and when I try to extrude the vertices there is no Extrude edgeloop back option.

I was excited to find the right thread and fix what I did wrong, so any help is extremely appreciated! :)

What I mean is, I fixed the last problem I had, not this one....sorry :o

RedHugh82
03-Mar-10, 09:32
Figured it out, I was rushing and missed the sphere of influence part.

dgebel
29-Apr-10, 07:19
I'm redoing-and-finishing-it-this-time-for-sure (in 2.49b) - I'm confused by "Building the Lower Body Armature".

Rigging the legs & foot is not going as described. The first difference was when I finished the armature and posed the leg - the IK didn't drag the whole armature, just the leg. In fact, it looked more like it was supposed to end up, an IK'd leg.

I tried to follow with the rest of it. I did the Toe bone disconnect and link to the Leg bone, then add IK constraint to the Lower-leg bone targetting the Foot bone, but when I do that, the leg becomes stuck with the foot to the "floor", only the knee wobbles around, the bones in the foot are disconnected and IK doesn't IK.

However, if I just weight-paint, everything seems to be as I would expect - the leg mesh follows nicely, without the fancy chaining. Is this not required any more?

revolt_randy
29-Apr-10, 07:49
Can you post a .blend??

Randy

dgebel
29-Apr-10, 23:18
I'll attach the file. It's got all the weight-painting put only the left foot done, so the right shows how I had it before disconnecting the foot bones. With Auto IK on, it works how I would expect that it should.

Odd... I tried it again before uploading. Something must be different, but it's not as bad as before.

Ok, I tried unselected Use Tail (I assume it's supposed to be Use Tip from the tutorial picture "Changing ChainLen to 2", turning off Stretch. Tried using Pole Target instead of Target. That seems to be more controllable for rotate. Grab kind of works, but the hip area deforms somewhat badly. That might just be my weight painting.

Grabbing the leg.l bone though, does absolutely nothing. I don't get why all the foot bones are disconnected.

ARGG! I did it all one more time and suddenly it's working????? Although the knee doesn't want to bend. I'll just try continuing the tutorial I guess. Eh.. here's the file anyway.

revolt_randy
30-Apr-10, 08:02
OK...took a look at things

Rigging the legs & foot is not going as described. The first difference was when I finished the armature and posed the leg - the IK didn't drag the whole armature, just the leg. In fact, it looked more like it was supposed to end up, an IK'd leg.
This is because the hip bones were not parented to the spine1 bone.

The hips were just extruded from the root of the spine1 bone. The other extrusions we've made have all been extruded from the tip of bones. When you extrude from the root, of a bone, the new bone has no parent by default. The hips need to be parented to the spine1 bone.

Select hip.l and make it the child of spine1. Leave the Con button off. If this button were turned on, the hip would snap to the tip of spine1, which we don't want to happen.
Do the same for hip.r (make it a child of spine1 and leave Con off).

Without this step, later on if you move the spine bone, the hips and legs won't follow, causing problems. The chainlen needs to be set in the IK constraint as per the instructions.

The way this character is setup, the feet should remain where positioned. It's a flaw, but it's part of the simple setup. Basically, I think just fixing the parenting on the hips and the chainlen in the IK should set you back on track...

Hope this helps
Randy

dgebel
03-May-10, 12:34
This is because the hip bones were not parented to the spine1 bone.

Without this step, later on if you move the spine bone, the hips and legs won't follow, causing problems. The chainlen needs to be set in the IK constraint as per the instructions.

The way this character is setup, the feet should remain where positioned. It's a flaw, but it's part of the simple setup. Basically, I think just fixing the parenting on the hips and the chainlen in the IK should set you back on track...

Hope this helps
Randy

Definitely. Went through and fixed that, then went through the feet and legs setup steps a couple times. Finally got all the rigging right I think. Thanks for the help!

Now to see if I can finally get around to learning the animation editor.

Reverend Speed
05-May-10, 19:37
Hello thread and hello Ryan! Thanks so much for the tutorial - very informative and extremely easy to follow.

Except... er...

...ran into a problem, halfway down this page - http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Animation/BSoD/Character_Animation/Upper_body_armature

Specifically:

We have all the arm bones, now lets position them a little better. It's easiest to do this if we can see roughly where the vertices are in the mesh. Since we're working in the Armature's Edit mode, we can't view vertices in the mesh's Edit mode as well. Instead,

⇆ Tab to exit the armature's edit mode.
Select the character mesh.

Disable Subsurf in the 3D Window.
Turn off "Subsurf in interactive view" in the Subsurf modifer. This will allow us to see the true base mesh, and line up the bones accordingly (try Wireframe mode without doing this step to see what I mean).

Can NOT get this to work properly - no combination of settings on the Subsurf modifier can give me the full model wireframe as I edit the armature. It's somewhat annoying - everything else had gone swimmingly until this moment. While I CAN take a guess, I'd prefer to get this bit right as a) would be useful to be able to turn off the subsurf effect in future and b) I get the feeling that the positioning of the joints will be important for the next parts of the tutorial.

Example files follow:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1dpn5a
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/revblenderhelp01.png/
http://img10.imageshack.us/i/revblenderhelp02.png/
http://img704.imageshack.us/i/revblenderhelp03.png/

EDIT: Sorry, to make that a little more clear - according to the tutorial, I SHOULD be able to make the elbow in the image display all the vertices - ala wireframe - as I'm editing the armature. As you can see in the images, while editing the armature, all I can see are two (incomplete) bands surrounding the elbow. IS BAD! IS WRONG! Fix?

Anybody out there with a solution for me? =) Really, really impressed with Blender and loving the tutorial, but I'm just confused as all hell by this issue.

All the best,

--Rev

revolt_randy
06-May-10, 15:12
Hi Rev, welcome to the forum!!

Try turning off the switches mentioned in the tutorial for the subsurf modifier, then as the next step suggests:

Turn off "Subsurf in interactive view" in the Subsurf modifer. This will allow us to see the true base mesh, and line up the bones accordingly (try Wireframe mode without doing this step to see what I mean).

Switch to Wireframe view with Z.

Switching to wireframe view should display the mesh without the effects of the subsurf modifier, since you disabled it's effect with the 1st step I quoted.

Let me know if this helps
Randy

Reverend Speed
06-May-10, 19:05
Hi Randy! Thanks for the reply, really appreciate the assist as this is bugging the hell out of me.

When you say,

Try turning off the switches mentioned in the tutorial for the subsurf modifier

...I'm not entirely sure which switches you're referring to. I've followed all the steps in the following quote...

We have all the arm bones, now lets position them a little better. It's easiest to do this if we can see roughly where the vertices are in the mesh. Since we're working in the Armature's Edit mode, we can't view vertices in the mesh's Edit mode as well. Instead,

⇆ Tab to exit the armature's edit mode.
Select the character mesh.

Disable Subsurf in the 3D Window.

Adjusting the elbow, from Front View.
Switch to Wireframe view with Z.
Select the armature again, and enter Edit Mode (⇆ Tab).
Adjust the elbow so that it falls within the three elbow vertices in the mesh (Adjusting the elbow from Front View)

In case there's any confusion, I'm using Blender v2.49b and instead of "Subsurf in interactive view" I get "Enable modifier during interactive display" when I hover the mouse cursor over the aqua button featuring the large cross over a grey grid. This button is one over from the Subsurf dropdown menu in the modifier tab, beside "Enable modifier during rendering" (to it's left, which I've left on) and "Enable modifier during edit mode (only enabled for display)" (to it's right, which I've turned off).

For added clarity, you can see this in the screenshots below (feel free to compare this to the relevant shots by the quotes from the tutorial text).

http://img696.imageshack.us/i/revblenderhelp04.png/
http://img695.imageshack.us/i/revblenderhelp05.png/

Following your instructions don't SEEM to help - I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm missing here. A link to the .blend file can be found in the first post above - if that'll help you spot where the snag lies, please give it a try.

Can't believe I'd get roadblocked on something this small. =)

Thanks again for the response,

All the best,

--Rev

revolt_randy
07-May-10, 02:54
Ok, figured it out. With the mesh selected in edit mode, in the editing panels, look for one named 'Mesh Tools More'. In the lower right hand corner, there are two buttons - 'All Edges' and 'X-axis mirror', click on 'All Edges'. It was a change to blender since the version used to create that tutorial. Later in the tutorial, there is a spot where you will use the 'X-axis mirror' button and a screen shot of the button, there you can see the 'All Edges' button isn't in the version of blender used.

Seems to me there was something about rigging that had changed also, but can't remember what. Yea, at first, I didn't download your file, I thought your problem was getting it to display wireframe. Once I started playing with your file, I could see your problem. Sorry about that.

Yea, that's an excellent tutorial, I think it's actually the best there is. You learn more in this tutorial than in any other one out there. Most just cover one subject, that one covers many. When people ask questions like 'how do I rig a character' or 'how do I weight paint' I usually give them the link to the right spot in that tutorial.

Good luck with the rest of it!
Randy

Reverend Speed
07-May-10, 07:00
Bullseye!

Well spotted, Randy! I tested it a few minutes ago and you've hit the nail on the head. Really looking forward to going back to this tonight (with a little trepidation over the supposed rigging change -c'est la vie). Totally failed to find a solution to the problem myself, so I'm much obliged to you for looking into this.

I've a long way to go before I can model as I'd like, but the tut is a big step forward. Thanks, man. =)

--Rev

PS: Have sent private mail to Ryan with the suggested changes.

Reverend Speed
13-May-10, 18:37
And so, another tale of woe.

Managed to get some time with Blender recently and with Randy's help flew through the next portions of the tutorial, even building the advanced IK rig linked from the last rigging page of the tutorial - http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Improved_Foot_Rig (dropped the advanced rig before I started the animation as I didn't want to chance misunderstanding which parts of the armature were being referred to).

Animated the wave, rigged the first frame of the walk cycle and then - misfire and confusion. I cannot seem to get the pose to flip correctly on frame 11. The hands and the head mirror properly, but the legs fail to do more than wave innefectually at the ground, refusing even to pass each other.

I've tried both fixes on the second animation page - http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Animation/BSoD/Character_Animation/2-second_animation - with no effect. Have restarted the pose copy several times and contemplated a couple of workarounds, but I'd rather learn to do this correctly.

Can anybody help me here? Randy? Ryan? Anyone? So close to the end of this tutorial I can taste it. Soon I will be an ANIMATOR. Sooon.

Sendspace'd .blend file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ns1p8b

Thanks for your time, guys.

--Rev

revolt_randy
15-May-10, 21:38
Yep, Reverend Speed, every time I see this problem, it's always the same thing. So remember this in the future, if paste flipped pose acts strange, it's a bone roll issue. And hate to poke this in your face, but umm....

2. If that doesn't do the trick, it's time to check bone roll angles.

In the armature's Edit mode, press N to show the Transform Properties panel. #*With a bone selected, there should be a number field for Roll. This number should be zero. If it's not, type in a zero. Sometimes an IK constraint will cause this number to be something like 0.001, even after you type in a zero, but that's close enough.
Now try pasting a flipped pose.

Ok, but do this to maybe help you understand it a little bit better. In the Armature panel turn on the Axis button, and you can turn off Names so you can see the display a little better. Select the left and right thighs in pose mode an look at the axis of each thigh, upperleg.r has the z-axis pointing backwards, upperleg.l has the z-axis pointing forwards. That's why it's just a mild shift when you paste the flipped pose, because the bones are 180 degrees out of rotation. Actually following Ryan's suggestion I pasted above tells me the upperleg.r is 0, upperleg.l is 178.210 degrees. So adjust the entire left side to match the right side. The right side is 0, that's why I suggest adjusting the left side, and the feet are off also.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Reverend Speed
18-May-10, 12:20
Thanks again, Randy! When I sat down to work on the model, your advice cleared the way perfectly. I'm somewhat annoyed that I didn't get this to work myself - I'd seen the advice on rolled bones and tried to apply that to my model, but evidently nothing happened. Perhaps I was in Pose Mode when I tried this. Very frustrating, but it's great to be on the move again.

Currently working my way through the face shapes and having a lot of fun. Much obliged for the advice.

--Rev

mugginz
30-May-10, 01:13
marenzelleria

Regarding the initial steps of the tutorial while using Blender 2.49b

When changing to the Front View (numpad 1) and then adding the plane, you end up with the plane being orientated incorrectly. In order to see the four vertices of the plane you need to be in the top view (numpad 7).

This might confuse some new users. Also you mention then when adding the plane Blender jumps into Edit Mode but it doesn't seem to do this any more and for me adding the plane leaves me in Object Mode.

Assuming there's nothing messed up on my system I guess they must've updated Blenders behavior and so thought I should give you a heads up in case you might want to modify the tutorial.

mugginz.

neblender
30-May-10, 12:21
Hi, guys. I'm also struggling with this flip pose issue in 2.49b.
If I take my character's pose in frame 1 and copy it as flipped in frame 11, everything goes heywire.
The flip goes in all wrong and different directions. Look at my screenshot:
[/URL]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wkfkla1yxnj/anim1.png (http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1ef581/n/anim4.png)
[URL]http://www.mediafire.com/file/k0tgzvzgomn/anim2.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mdriztytmxw/anim3.png
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xmvmuzzi2oz/anim4.png
Then finally, my .blend file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ju2unmxmzme/dodo2.blend

I have this problem with every paste flipped pose I do.

Please help.

revolt_randy
30-May-10, 13:36
Look above to post #335, same problem and same solution. Also look at the legs, you will encounter the same problems with them. Again, same problem and same solution. You maybe will have the same problems with the arms... And I'm not gonna repeat myself again.....

Hope this helps,
Randy

neblender
30-May-10, 13:42
OK, I guess I just didn't read far enough ?

TheBlackHole
21-Jun-10, 19:46
Uhh, you do know what BSoD also stands for, right?
B.lue
S.creen
o.f
D.eath

BlueAngel17
09-Oct-10, 01:45
Oh man, Randy's oh so correct! It was really better to set the roll field to zero manually. Kinda weird but when I select all and press CTRL + N it seems as if I was able to execute the command correctly but nothing actually happened. I actually had to reset each bone's roll to zero! I'm so happy to have read this post.

Dannyw
14-Oct-10, 07:08
Hi, I've just started doing the tutorial. When adding the first mesh plane, the tutorial is on Front View. From this view i cannot see the added mesh plane, it can only be seen in Top View. Has something changed in the way they are added since you wrote the tutorial or have you missed out the fact you need to switch back to top view to see the mesh plane. I'm a little confused right now and cant seem to add a new mesh plane so as its visible in Front View. :spin:

Blumonster
10-Nov-10, 23:37
Hi, I've just started doing the tutorial. When adding the first mesh plane, the tutorial is on Front View. From this view i cannot see the added mesh plane, it can only be seen in Top View. Has something changed in the way they are added since you wrote the tutorial or have you missed out the fact you need to switch back to top view to see the mesh plane. I'm a little confused right now and cant seem to add a new mesh plane so as its visible in Front View. :spin:

The tutorial looks great, and is fun to read. Unfortunately before even getting started with it, I had the exact same question as above. Your example picture shows the plane as a square that we're supposed to work with but you don't mention if we're supposed to switch to a top-down view, so... How should we proceed?

Blumonster
11-Nov-10, 00:08
DannyW and anybody else who had this problem-- Apparently you have to be in edit mode first, before adding the plane. It shows up as a square if you are. And W works to subdivide as well (it doesn't in object mode). I'd like to mention to Marenzelleria or whoever might continue the editing for this tutorial, the instructions are out of order. It says to create a plane and THEN mentions edit mode. I don't know if this has anything to do with newer versions of Blender or not, but as a tutorial with "noobs" in mind, it's very confusing and also a bit discouraging when you can't even create a square, lol.

Blumonster
11-Nov-10, 12:00
Blehh...apparently I can't enter edit mode with a blank screen (no objects), so the only way around it I found so far without going to a top-down view (and continuing the tutorial) is to place the plane in object mode, enter edit mode, delete the plane, then in edit mode still, add another plane. The new plane shows up as square. I'm really grateful for anyone who puts the time into creating tutorials for stuff, and this one looks really good, but I hope the rest of it is easier to follow. I've spent so much time just trying to get started.

Ken99
20-Feb-11, 12:54
I just started, but it seems great so far. Only such a methodical and detailed approach as this is sufficient to learn the non-intuitive interface. I just hope all this learning will also apply to the redesigned 2.5 version.

==========

Now maybe I can save somebody the two hellish hours I just spent with the Loop cut problem: getting the purple line only across one segment as well as ending up with the error msg "can't order loop"...

Solution--> when setting up the mirror, uncheck "Mirror VGgroups"

thegostwitemost
01-Mar-11, 10:16
At the beginning of this thread everyone is lauding what a great tutorial it is. But I, like many others it seems, had problems with the orientation of the plane right off the bat. Seeing as how this tutorial was first posted nearly six years ago and people had no trouble following along in the beginning, I can only assume the funcionality of the program has changed somewhere along the line. But seriously, an issue like this is major and NEEDS to be addressed. I spent several hours in confusion as to wether I was doing something wrong when in actuality I was following the instructions to the letter. At one point, I even thought the guy might actually be trying to tell us to make a cube mesh instead of a plane, and I continued with the tutorial under that assumtion only to get even further confused later on. I can only imagine how many Blender Noobs like me got frustrated and walked away from this potentially amazing program forever after unsuccessfully trying to follow this tutorial. Even the Gingerbread Man tutorial (under which I found this one) seems to have its issues in clarity when you get to the camera, lighting, and texturing parts. If it's an issue of change in funcionality of the program after an updated release (as I suspect it is) then the Wiki tutorials need to be updated as well to acurately reflect that change for newcomers to the program. In the case of the Gingerbread Man tutorial, it's more an issue of clarity than misinformation. Please, FIX IT!

Ken99
02-Mar-11, 19:09
... But I, like many others it seems, had problems with the orientation of the plane right off the bat. Seeing as how this tutorial was first posted nearly six years ago and people had no trouble following along in the beginning, I can only assume the funcionality of the program has changed somewhere along the line... Please, FIX IT!
Hi, since it's a wiki, you can just go in and put an alert at the beginning, similar to what you've posted here. I myself had made a few edits, but stopped once I learned that a new version with a very revamped UI is on the way (it's in beta now). I don't expect any of the original authors look here anymore. Just make whatever edit you want to the tutorial. Good luck. :)

Bubbadog
04-Mar-11, 18:30
Yes, I had the same problem with the "plane" in front perspective as well. I tried doing it in top perspective, but then you have several places in the tutorial where it requires you to shift views/perspectives...what I finally did was go into front view, create the plane, and then rotate it 90 degrees around the x axis. This puts the plane it the proper perspective. Hope this helps.

crazychristina
04-Mar-11, 20:27
The issue you are facing is a User Preferences issue. By default new objects face up (Global Z axis) and remain in Object mode. Go to the User Preferences window, Editing tab. Change Align to to View rather than the default World, and check the Edit mode box to have new objects created in edit mode.

Bubbadog
05-Mar-11, 12:56
The issue you are facing is a User Preferences issue. By default new objects face up (Global Z axis) and remain in Object mode. Go to the User Preferences window, Editing tab. Change Align to to View rather than the default World, and check the Edit mode box to have new objects created in edit mode.

Christina (or should I call u crazy :-) I tried that and it still didn't work, The plane comes out but it is crooked and at about a 30 degree angle. I had to go to top ortho to get it to display as a the tut shows. I'm using 2.56, are u using 2.49 or an earlier version?

crazychristina
05-Mar-11, 14:40
Here's a short vid (http://www.alphalibrae.com/media/blender/capture-1.mp4). Blender 2.56 but works the same as previous versions.

Bubbadog
05-Mar-11, 18:55
Hi. Yours did exactly as you stated. However, I followed your vid "step by step" and I still got the same results...a flat plane. What OS are you running yours on, and if it is windows, is it a 32 bit or 64 bit...and thank you for your help and patience, I really do appreciate it.

crazychristina
05-Mar-11, 19:28
I did that on Win Vista 64 but I get the same result on my laptop Win Vista 32 and with previous versions of Blender on Win XP 32. Perhaps you could reinstall Blender. I'm not really up with OS issues.

Bubbadog
05-Mar-11, 19:34
I'm running on Vista 64 bit as well, gonna try reinstalling blender and see if it makes a difference.

Bubbadog
05-Mar-11, 20:10
Re-installed...same results...it's ok though, I just r x 90 and it gets it to the right perspective

anniem
07-Mar-11, 14:16
okay, in the animating section where it talks about flipping the pose, i dont have the third button with the pink arrow on it. why is this? what do i do?

Richard Marklew
07-Mar-11, 14:38
okay, in the animating section where it talks about flipping the pose, i dont have the third button with the pink arrow on it. why is this? what do i do?
You need to be in pose mode.

freeblender
17-Mar-11, 14:19
Why not follow an easy tutorial for Blender 2.5?

A tutorial on a talking robot called TOBOR. (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208350)

http://ia700405.us.archive.org/14/items/TOBOR/tobor1.gif

:yes:
Every step is documented in Flash and PDF!

alaird
29-Apr-11, 21:16
i can't extrude the mouth the next two times, the command seems to be invalid. help?

anniem
30-Apr-11, 15:12
Marenzellier, let me just say that being both genius and thorough, this is one of the most versatile tutorials I've seen. As of now, I've referred back to it for a wolf, dog, and rabbit! (I mainly focus on animals). It is so helpful, and I thank you profusely for taking the time to write it!

God bless,
Anniem

Magich
04-Jun-11, 05:49
Just say that this is a great tutorial.
Magich :D

Helen2309
20-Nov-12, 05:25
Hello all,

Knowing this is an old thread, however someone had the guts to renew the Dutch tut for Blender 2.6
We ran into a problem with the Weight Painting and don't know how to solve it. Of course it's an option to start rigging and weight painting again but we really would like to know how to repair the wrong vertices.
The .blend file can be found here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/26439bwwkfmp/n/Weight_paint_probleem_blend

Thank you very much in advance,
Helen

revolt_randy
21-Nov-12, 22:00
In the weight paint panel (left side of the screen), at the very top, below the brush, adjust the 'weight' field to be 1. This setting is kinda new (haven't seen it, but it's been a bit since I rigged anything) and apparently it sets the maximum strength of the tool. For example, set weight to 1 and strength to 1, and weight paint will be at max. Set weight to .5 and strength to 1 and everything you paint will be painted at .5, set weight to .5, strength to .5 and everything will be painted at .25 on first stroke, second stroke will increase weight to .5.

I've also sent you a pm,

Randy

Helen2309
22-Nov-12, 04:24
Hello Randy,

Just sent you a pm. Thank you!!!!!:)

Helen