How to switch cameras

hello i am new to blender artists im fairly new to blender ive dome some basic animation and modeling using some of the tutorials on the blender wiki book pages the most advanced thing ive done is the introduction to charictor animation it turned out quite well but i want to stop using one camera at a certin frame and then switch to another camera and im not sure how to do this thanks in advance:yes:

There’s a Camera Changer script in the Scripts window under Animation. To see how to use it goto Help >> Scripts Help Browser >> Animation and click it.

For manual, non-animation, use Ctrl-Numpad-0 on selected camera to make it active.

%<

thanks but im not familure with how to use scripts and when i click on the link 1 and 2 in the window they wont work could someone point me in the right derection

when you activate the camera changer script, it should give you instructions to rename you cameras to the frames that they will be active during. there is really no interface for this script, it is just either on, or off.

If you’re going to render the animation into a movie file, you can just do it manually (render the frames for the first camera, then switch and render the second batch of frames), then put them together in the VSE (SR-4). To get the output for the VSE, click “Do Sequence” under where it says “Anim” at the bottom.

:eek: Two things just happened.

• There are manuals for the scripts in the scripts panel. wooooow. Thank you, Fligh.
  • I CAN SWITCH CAMERAS!! YES!

I’ve been doing 3D for ten years now (it’s really been that long?? geez) and nothing has ever been able to switch cameras. This is such a happy day for me :smiley:

For what it’s worth … and this may well not apply to your case … usually the best way to do this is to do it exactly the way the movies do it: film each segment separately, then edit them together in the video-editor of your choice (e.g. Sequence Editor).

Like so many other things in computer graphics, the finished material does not “pop out perfectly, like Venus :eek: in her oyster-shell at the edge of the sea.” Many obscure steps take place that are very easy to completely overlook. This is one.

Hello guys.

I’m new to this forum (and to blender as well) and didn’t dare to start a new thread for my question. But as I see others have similiar problems.
I’ve added another camera and want to switch to it, so that I can use Ctrl+Alt+Num0 in order to position it. Now with Ctrl+Num0 something hapens (the selected camera is white now) but I don’t see why it helps.
Maybe someone can help me. Maybe there is any differece in the versions? I’m using 2.5

Thank you
Sadik

Edit:
Ok… it really helps… but my num was off.

that was a clever first post in a new forum.

Welcome. Numlock syndrome has been at the root of much blender distress. In fact, years ago, when I was not a member of this forum, but of the developers forum, I had a major freak-out, due to accidentally having pressed numlock. Fortunately one of the wise developers figured it out before I tossed blender into the recycle bin.

:smiley:

Ahhhh the good ole numlock!

I have changed my active camera, works great when pressing Num0, but my render view has not changed… any ideas?

:confused:

@ghostly606: You probably unchecked the button to the right of the layers display in the header. It looks like a window with chainlinks attached, and its tooltip is “Use the scene’s active camera and layers in this view, rather than local layers”. I’ve stared at this tip for a long time now and I still don’t know what it means, however.

@CD38: Thanks, that did the trick! :slight_smile: