How do you bake a texture from Vertex Paint?

I found that this ones a great use in patching up any possible seams, but have failed to locate the command that does it. Also, how do you save images from textures created in Blender? The same way you save an UV to a picture? Thanks.

I can’t help on the vert color, since I tried it just now and didn’t get it to work.
On the other topic, have you tried the bake options yet? You need to set up a new image in the uv image deior, then bake ‘textures only’ I think. I think there was a bug before though, where you had to render the AO pass first, then the full material or textures, etc.
You then save the resulting image wherever you want.

Bummer. It’s tremendously helpful at fixing seams, so I wished that someone could explain how it’s transfered to the Texture Paint mode as a layer as the Noob To Pro and Manual Wikipages that “supposedly” explain it are useless as usual with no proper information about these common issues as I can barely get anything practical out of them, thus the reason why I constantly ask these questions here. Thanks for the help anyway.:slight_smile:

I’m not sure how you transfer vertex colors to texture paint mode; can you post the link to the wiki page that supposedly describes it?

On the other hand you can bake vertex colors with Render Baking as follows:

Make sure either VCol Light or VCol Paint is activated for your material. (Also make sure your model is lit properly if you use VCol Paint).
UV unwrap your mesh.
In the UV editor window do Image->New.
Make sure all faces are selected (if in face mode), or that the object is selected (if in Object mode).
From the Render menu at the top, do Bake Render Meshes->Full Render. The vertex colors should appear “unwrapped” in the UV mapped image.
Make sure you save the image in the UV editor (Image->Save).

You can now map this saved image onto the object using a texture mapped to UV.

Notes:

1. You can also bake from the Render panels (F10). Look for the Bake panel. It gives a few more options.
  2. Baking Textures does not work for vertex colors, because they are not textures. However this does work fine for Blender’s procedural textures (Cloud, Voronoi, etc).

Thanks for the help.

why dont you simply use texture paint to fix seams :slight_smile: that way you dont need to bake it and you can save the tga?!