Closing holes.

I am pretty new to blender, and I was wondering how to do you close holes in a mesh. Example, say I make a square and I delete a face, is there a function which I can click/run which covers all open faces?

Select the vertices around the hole and press F. Blender will create a face there and cover the hole. Be careful though. Select between 3-4 vertices to cover. You don’t want any Fgons on your model.

This might work:
In edit mode/edge select mode, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M to select all non-manifolds (i.e. all holes). Press F and pick Auto from the menu. If it doesn’t work, try again with a more simple set of edges. Make sure to evaluate the result carefully. I’m just a newbie, and I think of this tool as rather unpredictable.

Hope it helped
/ Mats

in edit mode, you can also select the edge of the hole, extrude edges, then scale to 0 (press “s”, then “zero”). be careful with this though, it will create lots of triangles if you merge the extruded vertices together… :slight_smile:

Those answers seem to be for complex or rounded holes. For simple holes select 3 or 4 edges or vertices. Then press F. This should cover up the hole with a triangle or quad. Only triangles and quads work for any faces.

Okay, I covered up the holes and all that fun stuff, but I’m still getting a problem with UV mapping over those holes.

If you look at the image below, the parts that I cut out and covered over again by pressing F now UV map the whole map inside the newly added face. Any ideas why?

http://www.battletide.com/Temp/uvissue.jpg

in edit mode select all and press Ctrl+N
maybe here is the problem - when you work long time delete and making faces the geometry may squeeze…

Actually those faces you’ve created have the Blender’s default UV layout, simply because you haven’t UVed them yet.