I wish to learn pseudo code

good tutorials ?

ups…
move this

IF you aren’t joking THEN

Pseudocode is simply a generic way of stating a process without actually writing code. There have probably been attempts at standardizing a pseudocode language but some people, like me, think that pseudo code is best written in a language familiar to the writer. Writing in non-code allows you to write the logical flow of the procedure in your own words without having to think about curly-braces, semicolons, indentation, and other language details.

I don’t think you will find extensive tutorials on writing pseudocode because of its non-standard nature but you could find keyword suggestions by searching ‘pseudocode’ in google.

END IF

In order to really learn pseudo code, you must first learn a programming language or two (the more the better.) Once familiar with the capabilities and logic behind programming, pseudo code becomes a shorthand way of outlining the logical flow of a possible program, without the tedious necessity of having the syntax correct. It’s like sketching before painting, it’s much easier to make corrections in the sketch than in the half finished oil painting.

Well, I’ll move it, but…where…trashcan?! :slight_smile:

When i mean pseudo code, is some simple tutorial , that explained all the structure, of course that a pseudo code has always influences of the language you know

No. There is no simple tutorial. It’s not a simple subject. Check out the works of Brian W. Kernighan and P. J. Plauger (Software Tools, Elements of Programming Style) and Donald Knuth’s Fundamental Algorithms.

Actually, pseudocode is very easy to learn, no matter what the final code will be in. Please do a search for pseudocode tutorials on google.

There are about 3 well-used Standard pseudocode techniques and they work for any language.

I think one of the simplest is to just define the ‘inputs’ then the ‘process’ then the ‘outputs’.

pseudocode is just a technique to help you get your thoughts clear before coding, or to show others how you want the code written.

So, on the left write down Pancake batter, eggs, water, spatula, bowl, pan, stove. Now in the center draw a circle.

In the circle describe the process of making pancakes, perhaps you will need more than one circle.

In the first, it may say to combine and mix ingredients in the bowl. Now add another center circle below this one.

In circle 2, describe pouring the batter in the pan. Now add another circle below this, and

In circle 3, describe heating the pancake to the bubbly stage and flipping it over, leaving till done.

Now on the right side of the page make a list or just one line, and put ‘pancake’ on it.

Now, draw lines from each of the items on the left to the first circle. draw a line from circle one to circle 2, from circle 2 to circle 3.

Now from circle three draw a line to pancake. On each of the lines, add an arrow head > pointing in the direction of the data flow.

Now you have pseudocode for making pancakes.

Granted this seems silly, however in a complex system design this can simplify everything to the point that almost anyone can understand the system.

Using the example above:

Page one:
Inputs:
Pancake mix, eggs …etc…
Page one points to page two

Page 2 Process 1
mix
Page 2 points to page 3

Page 3 Process 2
pour mix in heated pan

Page 3 points to page 4

Page 4 Process 3
Heat till bubble form
Flip
Heat till done
Page 4 points to page 5

Page 5 Outputs
pancakes.

Page 5 points to page 1 Inputs

Normally you would put everything above on one page, because it is so simple, however in a large systems design, you will break down process and outputs when they will not fit on one single page.

So using the process of pouring pancakes, you could have a process for poring square cakes on one page, round cakes on another, star cakes on another.

Or in the inputs you may have one page with ingredients for blueberry pancakes, a page of ingredients for walnut pancakes, etc.

Each of these pages would then point to the first process page.

In this way you just keep adding pages. Breaking it up this way makes it easy to edit when you change your mind.

OK, hope that helps and doesn’t confuse. I wish I new where my pseudocode books are, there was one I just loved and it was easy to use and explain to others… its been to long since I have used them…

OH, and you can use gantt charts as well for pseudocoding.