How to Remove/Change a UV Map?

My apologies if I missed a previous post or tutorial that explains this, but I’ve been looking everywhere and I can’t figure out how to select a previously unwrapped surface and view/change/remove the attached jpg image. How is this done?

Thank you!

well, to select a previously unwrapped surface in 2.46 you tab into edit mode and select it.

to view the jpg image you select it from the selector list in the UV/Image Editor window header.

to delete a UVTexture, click the X in the Mesh panel next to the UV Texture you do not want.

You mean, I need to select all of the faces that were unwrapped? What if I can’t remember all of the faces that were included? In UV mode, some of the faces are showing up pink – can I assume that these are the faces that I applied the map to?

to view the jpg image you select it from the selector list in the UV/Image Editor window header.

You’re right, I can view it that way. I tried “replacing” the image but it said I couldn’t do that in Edit mode. I tried changing to UV mode, and it then wouldn’t let me select the image from the drop down menu anymore.

to delete a UVTexture, click the X in the Mesh panel next to the UV Texture you do not want.

I tried that, and the image disappears from being actively displayed in the drop down list, but clicking on the list reveals that it is still in the list.

Ideally, I’d really like to be able to swap out the image without having to remap the whole thing. The two images are the same pixel size – can’t I just trade the old one out? I just discovered Seams, so I should be able to quickly reselect the faces again in the future – I just need to know how to change the uv map.

Beyond just wanting to understand all the ins and outs of uv mapping, I’m trying to figure this out because I’ve created a character that has some 2D features on his face. So, when his expression changes, I want to be able to swap out the uv map. It would be nice to be able to animate the changes, but that’s really not necessary – I just need to be able to adjust the model between scenes.

Thank you for your help!

Anyone? Am I being impatient? :wink:

hi. me again. I am using 2.46RC, so please if you are using 2.45 refer to the User Manual

When you tab into edit mode, you only have to select a face and if the correct picture is loaded in the UV/Image Editor, the UVs for that face show up. If you don’t remember, you can enable face display and if you click on a UV face, the corresponding mesh face is highlighted in the 3D window. This way, you can go back and forth either way.

The UV/Image Editor is a general purpose image management subsystem, so it keeps used pictures in memory whether they are used as textures or as background images or world backgrounds or whatever. So, just because you dont use an image for texture, Blender will keep it around awhile in case you change your mind or use it for another purpose-you wont have to go searching your hard disk for it again.

To swap out an image, just load/select a different image as the texture in the Shading-Texture panel.

Thanks. I’ll give those tips a shot and report back. :slight_smile:

Some good info in this thread thanks