Recovering corrupt .blend files

I recently used Scalpel to recover files from a bad hard drive. I used BLENDER_v for the header and ENDB for the footer. It was able to find about 60 files that worked, but 14 files did not.

One day I decided to edit one of my .blend files in Notepad and I ended up adding (or deleting, I don’t know which) a couple spaces at the end. (don’t ask why) When I tried to open the file in Blender, it came up with an error ‘file is incomplete’. Reversing what I did before to edit it did not fix the file.

The problem in both situations is essentially the same. The whole file is still there, but it Blender says that the file is incomplete.

I can get a couple .blend files if you want

did you check if you had some autosave file in the tmp folder

that might help for some of the files!

Salutations

Sometimes using append can get you into a corrupted blend file to recover assets by copying them into a good file. Open a new blender file, and use File>>Append or Link to see if you can open the bad file. If it opens, navigate to the objects (materials, whatever) and append them to the new file.

The autosave folder has been destroyed. Appending did not work.
I believe the solution is actually quite simple:
-Make a new blender file.
-Edit in Notepad (or some other text editing program) and type ‘blah blah blah’ at the end.
-If you try to open it in blender, it will then say ‘loading .blend failed. File incomplete’
-If you try appending, nothing will come up.
-Now try erasing the text you just put in
-Blender still comes up wtih an error message and can’t append anything

Now why is this? The file is exactly the same as it used to, but blender can’t read it anymore. Does anyone know why?

For those that want the technical details: The file recovery program was able to find about 60 files that ended with ENDB. However, about 14 files did not end with ENDB. The program found the BLENDER_v and then kept on going and going (usually through several other files) until another file had ENDB in it. The result is a file with the blend file at the very beginning and maybe 10 different files after it.

This is sort of like adding the blah blah blahs at the end only it is a lot longer. Now if I tried to edit the file and delete the extraeneous text, blender still will not recognize the file, even though it is back to normal.

Hi,

Blender files are not plain text files. If you save a Blender file as a plain text file it will never work again.

Unless I’m wrong :slight_smile:

LOOK AT IT WITH HEX EDITOR TO MAKE SUR YOU GOT THE EXACT CONTROL CHARACTERS WHERE IT SHOULD BE
may be it;s only that !
good luck

sALUTATIONS

Ok. I am going to edit the file in the hex editor instead of notepad. It is very difficult to know when exactly the blend file ends.

Could I get about 20 examples of how your (this is to everyone) .blend files end. (just look in notepad and look at the last 5-10 characters.) Make sure they don’t end in ENDB, since I have recovered all the ones that end in ENDB.

And DON’T save the file in notepad!

Alright, I just checked about seven .blend files from the blender-materials.org:
Header: IF8B080000000000000BEC7D
Footer: 0200

All the other .blend files I checked:
Header: 424C454E4445525F76
Footer: 454E4442

Download Hexplorer (to view hex) at

your good file should provide you with the data required

but this is if there is nothing else changed in the blend file
but you want find this with the editor !

let us know what happened

Salutations

You have to understand that all blender files do not end or start the same.

The blender-materials ones did not start with BLENDER_v (in hex that would be 424C454E4445525F76) or end with ENDB (hex= 454E4442).

I just wanted to know if anyone had any files that started with BLENDER_v but don’t end with ENDB. You could check that in notepad. If you do, I would deeply appreciate you posting the exact hex code of the last ten characters (you can find the hex with the hexplorer program - see the link above). Or you could post a copy of the blend file up here.

I am trying to find all the common occurrences for header/footers in blend files so that I can recover all of them. And hopefully if I find them, it can help everyone else who has corrupted .blend files.

I don’t have enough blender files (currently I have none) to find pattens and ubiquitous header/footers to do this. So I am asking everyone who has a blend file that doesn’t start with BLENDER_v and end with ENDB, to post them (or the hex code) so that I will have enough blender files to figure out patterns…

Okay you get the point.

i tried to open a blend file
but cannot read the tet on the left in hexa

how do you zoom in ?
hoow did you get the data that your looking for ?
at the beginning or end of the file ?

Salutations

In the view tab select options. Make the font Fixed Roman Large. What you see on the left is the hex and what you see on the right is the actual file in ASCII code. When you click (or highlight) something on the right it will highlight it on the hex side.

I am looking for the first ten characters of the beginning and end in hex. (plain characters could be a variety of hex and I wouldn’t know wich one it really is) Use the scroll bar to scroll to bottom or top.

and then what menu did you choose so that i can give you a snap of it
with what you need

sorry but i got go for a while be back in about 3 hours

Salutations

Once you have the file opened, I will need the first 20 numbers/text that come up (the first three columns). If you look in the right panel (you may need to scroll over there) the characters for this hex might be something like BLENDER_v… (it doesn’t have to be this)

I also need the last 20 numbers/text (at the very bottom of the file) that come up in the last 3 columns. Make sure they are not just all zeros. I do not need any of your code if the right panel says ENDB at the bottom.

An example:
Header (the top code): 0060F23C8F
Footer (the bottom code): 0060F23C8F

Or you could post the actual .blend file
Or you could post a screenshot of the top and bottom from Hexplorer.

I really need everyones help with this for me to figure out how to recover corrupt .blend files.
Make sure your blend file does NOT end with ENDB, I don’t any of those.

but i’m not used with this program sorry

so which menu do you select and which option to get what your looking for
there are so many option avaialble that i don’t want to sent 20 pages to you
one is enough but with the right information

Salutations

begin and end of code i think

salutations

ya like that.
Only I need the other side, not the side with the plain text.
A shot of the left side (hex) beginning and end.
The first 3 columns and the last 3 columns.

Or (for the pictures attached) you could post it as:
Header:42 4C 45 4E 44 45 52 5F 76 32 34 36
Footer:F3 43 00 1C F3 43 00 1C 45 4E 44 42
instead of uploading pictures…

Attachments

first 3 lines
BLENDER_v246REND
200000002CF412000000000001000000
01000000FA0000005363656E65000000

last 3 lines

0700CA08070077010700CB0804004B00
0200CC080200CD08454E444200000000
hope this is enough
Salutations

Ya, that’s perfect. Thanks.
I have about 8 more files I found off the internet that I am going to check. So I only need about ten more from everyone else!