Blender 2.5 Development Updates

Ton says he brought back 10,000 lines of code to the new Blender 2.5.

See the message here:
http://cia.vc/stats/project/Blender

EDIT:Above website is down indefinitely. Alternative :
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/

Well then…We’ll have TON’s of fun - won’t we? :wink:

Not to mention all the other poor schmoes that gotta clean up the code :smiley:

Naw - they’re all GREAT people and they ALL contribute to 2.5, not just Ton.
I’m really looking forward to the refactoring myself - can’t wait!

I like good news. I had too many bad ones recently (personal stuff). Looking forward to the 2.5 release!

View_3D has been added back!

Blender 2.50 is starting to look more like Blender!

Amazing progress!

I also noticed the time you made this thread “13:37” was that on purpose?

The new animation system (animsys2) is in as is Deep Shadow Maps.

Heck yeah. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/thpesadon.gif

not that I will understand the code at all but I would say good stuff is coming ??

Ton’s of fun - lol never thought about that

middle mouse rotate, translate, zoom, now that also works :stuck_out_tongue:

excuse my blatant ignorance, but cant you do that already? what exactly is the new hype about?
from the image, the only difference seems to be a panel called “view”… am i missing something?

All right, my complete re-work of the IPO window so it works like After Effects appears to be in place!!

excuse my blatant ignorance, but cant you do that already? what exactly is the new hype about?
from the image, the only difference seems to be a panel called “view”… am i missing something?
In Blender 2.5, loads of interface code will be replaced and improved and most of the stuff will have to be coded again to fit the new system, starting with the simplest of things (such as mouse control). The hype is about seeing progress of the fabled 2.5 release :slight_smile:

Ok, dudes!
I’m runnin to my Linx Box and SVN UP SCONS! :smiley:
YEAH LET"S GO!

IS THE DEFAULT CUBE IN YET??!!!

I wonder what kind of changes they will make to it?

and Suzanne too!

This is great. I’ve been using Blender since 1.8 and to see the improvements in Blender is just awesome.

On a side note, does anyone know if the rewrite will affect the OpenGL issues that are usually associated with ATI cards? I had heard that those were due to some old OpenGL calls that ATI didn’t fully support (or support well.) Since the code will be refactored, does that mean that some of the OpenGL stuff can be further optimized?

Just wondering.

Sometimes, programmers write code that turns into spaghetti, because a number of features were bolted on in a limited time frame or just because the code was written ages ago.

What they’re currently doing is to unspaghettify it, and at the same time making it possible to add lots of new features, including the ability to assign custom shortcuts.

It’s actually more about making it possible to improve the workflow of Blender, instead of just making the interface look different or nicer (altough Matt Ebb seems to be working on it again, so you might get your new ui-look after all).

(the cube is there - if you saved your .B.blend default user config. file.)
Technically…thats just a scene…

…so if you guys want to try some of your own scenes, you can just
rename it to .B.blend and restart 2.5 - voila - your scene magically appears :smiley:

The code is going in and being cleaned up, many lines in a short period of time.

I would think they would have more strict control on how features would be added so the code doesn’t turn into speghetti again.

I look foward to the purported vastly improved usability of 2.5.

Ton if you read this, no more spaghetti please :slight_smile:
Keep the code always clean and tidy, even if you have to delay features from landing quickly.

I think he’d be aware, he usually doesn’t read this forum anyway, he mainly hangs out in the developer forum, in the mailing lists, the Blender Institute, and behind his computer making code.