Pit Monsters

By
Mad Hatteur (Rozzy) Models
andrew-101 Programming

Pit Monsters is a tile-based tower-defence game.

You have to defend the castle from waves of Pit Monsters by building Towers and Bridges as defences. Everything you build, and then upgrade if you choose to, costs gold. Gold can be acquired by killing Pit Monsters (bounty).

Towers
Towers are the basic building, they appear in every tower-defence game. Types of towers that are in the game are:

Hubs
Hubs are buildings that give the surrounding Towers and Bridges bonuses, such as extra bounty, increased range and faster attack speed. Hubs are customisable and can differ level to level.

Customisation
Level creation and editing is (will be, aka not done yet) done through an inbuilt level editor. You use pre-set tiles to create your own map layout, then you can place pre-set objects over the map to decorate it (there are 3 objects that you must place, start location, the cave (Pit Monster’s starting point) and the castle (Pit Monster’s end point).

Then you create the towers, bridges and hubs, limited only to the available models. And finally you create the waves. All this gets saved as a .txt file.

Blender 2.49b:
Blend File: http://www.box.net/shared/no37fmf5cf ~3mb

Looks good, you nailed the grass color perfectly. It reminds me a bit of AOE II. If you need any help, just holler.

-roz

kewl stuff, although i hope you will add some new unique elements to the gameplay and im curious wheather all the tiles will have a black outline whilest playing?

@Rozzy; I didn’t actually make the grass, I downloaded the tiles from lostgarden.com ><
Like I said in the first post, I need a builder, nudge nudge

@Siegle; The black outlines are the grid, should I add an option to disable the grid?
Don’t know how unique I can go, I’m heading for pretty simple gameplay, nothing too special.
As for unique to blender, tower defence games don’t come around much if ever and the level system is pretty nifty. This is level1:

start definitions
//data
name='Test'
width=12
height=13
data//

//tiles
[0, 'tile_border']
[1, 'tile_grass']
[2, 'tile_dirt']
[3, 'tile_dirt_tl']
[4, 'tile_dirt_t']
[5, 'tile_dirt_tr']
[6, 'tile_dirt_r']
[7, 'tile_dirt_br']
[8, 'tile_dirt_b']
[9, 'tile_dirt_bl']
[10, 'tile_dirt_l']
[11, 'tile_dirt_itl']
[12, 'tile_dirt_itr']
[13, 'tile_dirt_ibr']
[14, 'tile_dirt_ibl']
[15, 'tile_water_sh']
[16, 'tile_water_sv']
[17, 'tile_water_tr']
tiles//

//objects
[0, -1]
[1, 'start_location']
objects//

//pitMonsters
[0, ['Grub',20,4,10]]
[1, ['Silk Ant', 25, 5,12]]
pitMonsters//
end definitions

start map
//tiles
[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]
[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]
[15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,17,1,1]
[0,3,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,5,16,1,1]
[0,9,8,8,8,8,8,8,14,6,16,1,1]
[15,15,15,15,15,15,15,17,10,6,16,1,1]
[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,16,10,6,16,1,1]
[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,16,10,6,16,1,1]
[0,0,0,0,0,1,1,16,10,6,16,1,1]
[0,0,0,0,0,1,1,16,9,7,16,1,1]
[0,0,0,0,0,1,1,16,0,0,16,1,1]
tiles//

//objects

objects//
end map

Looks awesome :wink: keep at it :slight_smile:

Looks great. I can’t wait to play it. TD is probably one of my favorite styles of gameplay.

What kind of towers do you need?

peace,
-nick

Great start. im excited to see how this turns out. texturing is well done. cant wait to see it in motion

(if possible down the road. it would be sweet if you could have a ‘cinematic mode’ with a movable camera, to see whats going on up close. that would be really cool)

Haha, cheater!

I’ll make a few towers for you, I’d love to. Got any ideas? I do!

Catapult - Fires pile of rocks at oncoming enemies.
Upgrades:
1.Double dose: Increases amount of rocks fired/splash dmg, and upgrades range.
2.Fire: Adds fire to the rocks flung, doing more damage and slowing enemies down

Trebuchet - Fires single rock at oncoming enemies, huge range, lots of damage.
Upgrades:

1. Scouts: Increases range
  2. Big rocks: More damage

Arch - Arches over the pathway and drops tar on the enemies beneath it.
Upgrades:

1. Reinforcments/wall sentries: Increases rate that it drops tar.
  2. Tar pits: Increases amount of tar and damage done by it.

Anways, just some ideas, tell me which one you want. Tell me if I’m mistaken that you’re doing this as a castles/knights styled game.

-roz

Rozzy, how bout a frog cannon?

peace,
-nick

Nice looking game!

Looks great. I can’t wait to play it. TD is probably one of my favorite styles of gameplay.

What kind of towers do you need?

peace,
-nick

TD would have to be one of mine aswel. Do you play starcraft? There are some pretty good variants of TD games in starcraft.

I was actaully planning on having one tower which you add different units to, but after reading some of Rozzy’s ideas I think I might have different types.

(if possible down the road. it would be sweet if you could have a ‘cinematic mode’ with a movable camera, to see whats going on up close. that would be really cool)

I was thinking of adding a zoom action to the camera when you scroll, like in Empire Earth where the camera gets right in there, don’t know how good that will turn out because I’m using orthographic mode.

Haha, cheater!

I’ll make a few towers for you, I’d love to. Got any ideas? I do!

Catapult - Fires pile of rocks at oncoming enemies.
Upgrades:
1.Double dose: Increases amount of rocks fired/splash dmg, and upgrades range.
2.Fire: Adds fire to the rocks flung, doing more damage and slowing enemies down

Trebuchet - Fires single rock at oncoming enemies, huge range, lots of damage.
Upgrades:

1. Scouts: Increases range
  2. Big rocks: More damage

Arch - Arches over the pathway and drops tar on the enemies beneath it.
Upgrades:

1. Reinforcments/wall sentries: Increases rate that it drops tar.
  2. Tar pits: Increases amount of tar and damage done by it.

Anways, just some ideas, tell me which one you want. Tell me if I’m mistaken that you’re doing this as a castles/knights styled game.

-roz

Like I said to nick I wasn’t planning on making different towers but after reading about the Arch I think I’ll change my mind :wink:
If you want to make one just pick any of them, they all sound good.
The tar could also slow down the monsters for a couple of tiles and the trebuchet could also knock down the monsters for a second or so.

I think I won’t have mages or mage towers, they pop up too often in tower games.

I can make the arch for you then, how many polys?

Its going to be small so try not to get too high, I can’t really give you an exact number because I don’t really know. As long as you feel its low enough then thats good.

The arch is attached. It was really simple, just a half a gate I guess. You can use it, abuse it, change it, do whatever you want with it. I really slacked on the texturing. I just used a tile and then vertex painted it.

arch.blend (325 KB)

-roz

this is a forken great idea

Thanks Rozzy, I changed it a bit; made it longer and added a room thingo to it. No worries about the vertex painting, I’ve actually used my concrete texture for concrete, thatch and water, just vertex painted it different colours.

Heres what it looks like:

Kind of makes the tower look a bit small, I will have to make it taller. I also need to change the path to make it one tile across.

btw, is that bricks texture ok to use in my game, no copyright or terms of use?

Yup, I got that brick texture from cgtextures.

That bridge looks great! Here is the trebby, Animated allready. Just needs a simple vertex paint and maybe a wood texture. It shouldn’t be to hard. Oh, the big block in the middle is like a sack of rocks or something heavy. So you can either texture that like a rock color, or tan-ish cloth colored. The rock on the back that is being flung, needs some scripting to make it detach from the bone and fly towards the target. And the bars going across, holding up the arm that flings it needs to be a metal color, same with the things holding up the sack, make them metal colored as well. Hopefully that wasn’t to confuzing?

-roz

Trebuchet(1).blend (203 KB) <— old file, check lower posts for updated one.

Hey! I’m working on an isometric game! But then again, it’s a turnbased strategy game…
anyway, looks nice, and if you wouldn’t mind, I might use those tiles.
oh, and did you know you spelled “screen shots” “Sreen shots”?
and you also spelled “development” “devolopment”…
do you have a click to build script? I know a really easy way to keep the towers from building outside of the cells.

Another tower, I just made this one for fun, so do what you want with it.

ScoutTower(1).blend (178 KB)

-roz