team needed for RUBIX CUBE GAME

hi all,

i am in need of a team for a game i am developing…

the idea of the game is pretty much the same as a physical rubix cube… but its cg

http://www.savefile.com/files/1972506

if you cant veiw image, try: http://www.savefile.com/files/1972506

ive got the cube made and textured, on wrong computer now so i shall post tomoro

what i need help is…
>>>need to be able to rotate each slice of cube and have it snap to the 90 degrees (so it doesnt end up looking a shambles)
>>>also the computer needs to know when the cube is solved
>>>and needs to be able to scramble and unscramble the cube
>>>timer
>>>need to be able to rotate entire cube with small cube in bottom left hand corner, sortof like the blender 3d window

please pm me/post if your interested in helping and post any suggestions

thankyou in advance

Several people have made Rubik’s Cube games recently. I suggest that you ask some questions in the Support forum rather than demanding a team.

good luck
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:;):wink:

What are the controls?
Controls are a big problem with some Rubiks cube games…

Like plant there have been alot of rubix cube games lately. Does anyone know why that is? Ive been wondering about that for a while now lol!

Probably because it is really easy for beginners.

Or it could be because people see someones rubiks cube game and say to themselves “hey, how hard can making a game out of a cube be?”, then rather than helping the person who already has a project, they start one of their own.:wink:

hahaha dont make me laught :slight_smile: it can be pretty complex depending on how you look at it, I know I saw a nice rubixcube game made on blender a while ago and it was pretty amazing job, and 99% is garenteed to be python (I think the guy who made the rubix cube game made a single huge python script for the game.

It can be made simple though. I could probably do it without python.

Thats what i was thinking cause if you ask me it wouldnt be that easy I dont think you could do it without python! lol! Well good luck on this anyways!

No, it’s impossible without python, you need to use a ton of variables to control the exact direction of each cube (basically emulate matrices, make a 3x3 cube and store: [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y] that would control ONE row to make 3 rows you’d want to store:

GameLogic.Row1 = [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y]
GameLogic.Row2 = [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y]
GameLogic.Row3 = [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y]

that wouldn’t NEED to be done (you could just use 18 variables =X but that would be the best way.

Theoretically I know exactly how I’d script a game like that, too bad I’m not joining your team =P if you need a script post it in my thread.

Edit:

Then you’d use pi:

pi = 3.14
to get 90 degrees you’d use:
left = pi/2
right = -pi/2

then you’d set it so each time you rotate it adds 1 having 4 rotations for each axis: to have a 180 rot on the X it would be 2

meaning if your cube was:

OOO
OOO
OOO

and you wanted
OXO
XOX
OXO

you’d need to do some advanced tweakings to the lines below:

GameLogic.Row1 = [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y]
GameLogic.Row2 = [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y]
GameLogic.Row3 = [rot1x,rot1y,rot2x,rot2y,rot3x,rot3y]

This could get tricky. But just tweaking the values will do nothing, you’ll need to find a way to import IPOs for rotations into python and interact with the lists to extract each cube from the list and apply the rotation IPO, or you could do all the and follow 9(squared) empties (using get/setOrientation)

Either way you’ll need great python knowledge

I’m not a beginner and I haven’t the slightest idea how I’d go about making such a game. Maybe I’m just a loser.

Furthermore, I can’t stand this misspelling anymore. It’s Rubik’s Cube, not Rubix. It’s named for its inventor, Erno Rubik. Sorry, but it was driving me crazy.

no plant you’re not a loser, this kind of game would almost take as long to script as my game Tower Siege 2.

I made a functional Rubik’s cube game recently (I was inspired by some of the others, so it must be a new trend)

My basic method was to have six empties, one on each side of the cube. When one is given a command to rotate, a python script finds all cubes on that side, sets them all as children to the empty on that side while removing parents of other cubes, and then runs a rotation ipo on that empty.

Which side a cube is on can be foudn with something like:
for cube in oblist:
if cube.getPosition()[0] >= 1
or
for cube in oblist:
if cube.getDistanceTo(emptythatisturning) <= 1

Rotation of cube can be faked by parenting the camera to a central object and rotating the central object.

Having the computer unscramble the cube would probably be best done by recording the initial scramble, and recording each turn done by the user, then ordering the opposite commands to ‘undo’ what was done. (Unless you really want to try and program an automated cube solver, which would be fairly difficult…

Now I’m getting curious. The Rubik craze was just over twenty years ago. Maybe it’s now experiencing a resurgence and has become Retro Cool?

Now that I look at it, I guess it would need python. You would need python to see if all the colors are on one face to see if you won and other things like that.

Here’s one way to do it without python.
NOTE: I don’t have time to finish it right now and it is very buggy! But this was thought up and made in an hour. Ony one row rotates in one direction (Ctrl button) and the select arrow only works on one axis (up/down arrow). It is not efficient since I changed the way it works half way in. Maybe I’ll finish it later, but it’s free for anyone to use.

edit:
to elaborate the design. There is a plane inside the cube close to the edge, rotating with the arrow. All parts of the cube colliding with that plane becomes parented to the arrow which it’s rotated. It’s a simple design which should get the job done.

Heres as far as I got on a rubiks cube game…

I tried making it so that the cubes on the side that was selected got parented to an empty that could rotate but it didn’t work… I did get a nice UI though. (=