Realistic long grass with Yafaray ( with .blend )

Hi !

This is my last render :

http://nsa08.casimages.com/img/2009/06/23/090623094313215225.jpg

HD version :

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=090623094022333834.png

Pathtracing , 2 hours .

Find the blend of grass here :wink: :

now this is banner worthy… lol

Very Nice.
I love the rocks.

wow :eek: finaly someone that makes grass look like grass instead of green hair awsome job man

Very nice :slight_smile:

I think that’s the best looking grass I’ve ever seen.

ha ha awesome, l’d really like to seen ManCandy just kick’in back on one of those rocks.

incredibly awesome…a detailed tutorial is in order…eh??

One nit pick…
Is there a slight amount of random scale affecting the grass bunches?
If not I think that would add more realism.
If there is, maybe it could use some greater values to increase the scale variety.
Still great work though.

Cool image … that grass looks great!

wow, this is incredible
not as technical but as art too

The rocks are GREAT, man… when comes the tutorial… really awesome grass

As far as I know, Yafaray at the moment does not support blender particles. So hair, fur and grass seem unfeasable since you would have to convert the particles to a mesh (is that even possible with particles?).

Also, since Yafaray doesn’t yet supported instances, all the strands of grass would be rendered as individual meshes which would make the memory requirements explode.

How did you manage to render grass with yafaray? Did you manage to come up with a efficient method?

Rocks are awesome. I’d love to know what way you modelled them - I’m constantly wanting this kind of stuff in my work!!

ChojinDSL
You can find the .blend file following the link at the bottom of the Gabich’s post.
There is object with grass copied enough times. It’s drawn as bounds (F7->object buttons->draw->bounds) so blender doesn’t choke even on my machine. Pretty neat. :slight_smile:

What’s more I’ve done a quick test with yafray and it seems that yafray does support particles emitter as long as they are set to be objects (F7->particle buttons->Visualisation->Object).

This will be my new desctop for a while. Jawdropping awesomeness!

Just amazing!

This is far the most realistic cg-grass i’ve ever seen. Really great work, five stars for that! :smiley:

amazing render!

can we know the hardware? 2hours int realy much dude :-O! :slight_smile:

one thing i like to say: i just went outside ant watched the grass there and i have to say the reflections are not that bright as in your pic :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for comments :).

@Nirmaldavid :“a detailed tutorial is in order…eh??”
>For the moment i have not time to make a tutorial that is why i give the .blend :wink: .

@TAMcCullough :“Is there a slight amount of random scale affecting the grass bunches?”
>Yes there is .

@wingblow:"The rocks are GREAT, man… when comes the tutorial… "
> You can find a tutorial here for the rock but is in french :
http://www.tuto-blender.com/ETM/viewtuto-69.html

@-DanTe-:“can we know the hardware?”
Q6600 , Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 mo , 4Go :wink: .

Great work!!