Blender Animation Challenge #5 [CHECK PARTICIPATION LIST]

Hello

and welcome to round #5 of the blender animation challenge.
Today’s task and base file are provided by wigglyframe.
The rig (Pantin) is provided by Kiopaa.

Thank you wigglyframe and Kiopaa for your work. I hope that everyone has fun working with the file.

The Theme is:
Heaven is a half pipe
Be creative!

The duration of the animation should be at least 10 seconds and may be as long as you want. Keep in mind that you only have a limited amount of time to realize it and we all have a private live (hoepfully :wink: ).

This contest will end on the 24. August 2009 (2009-08-24) at 18:00 (6:00 PM) GMT.

The base file:
BAC#5.blend (248 KB)
The file is provided under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) license.

Here are the new rules for the BAC (Blender Animation Challenge):

• All entries must be made with Blender.
  • we provide a base file (Blender 2.48a or newer) with the rigs and necessary properties.
  • You may change the camera position and the direction of the light if it suites your animation. You may add more lights and cameras if you deem it necessary for your animation but keep in mind this is a animation not a lighting challenge.
  • You may change the size of any of the assets as well as the main characters. Please do not change the character itself unless it deems nessecary for a better animation (e.g. adding loopcuts for better deformations). If you do please keep to the license and post your resulting file back to the forum for others to see.
  • You may animate the scene as you see fit this includes all assets.
  • You may duplicate any of the assets if it fits your animation.
  • You may remove any unneeded assets or characters.
  • You may do as many shots as you need but keep in mind that every shot you add will mean more work and will take longer to animate.
  • You may not add textures or add new meshes except for duplicating existing once. Remember this is an animation challenge and not a modelling, material, texture and lighting challenge. Should the need arise to have more assets then provided please get in contact with the forum first and let the community decide wether it is ok to add the asset. When there is no objection from the community within 2-3 days of the announcement we will approve the changes. You will need to provide a new base file with the new asset (blend file containing only the asset is ok) to the forum to make it available to all contestants.
  • You should not change the rigs. Changes are allowed if the rig is broken or doesn’t work as expected. If you do change the rig you are required to inform the community by posting your changes or informing the host of the contest. This is to give everyone the same chance and let others learn from your improvements. Please keep to the provided license!
    Again this is an animation challenge and not a rigging challenge.
  • You are allowed to rig the assets to support your animation, this includes using lattices or shapkeys to deform them. If you do we kindly ask you to post those changes to the forum. Please keep any licensing issues in mind!
  • All entrants are encouraged to post their progress to the official BAC WIP (work in progress) opened in the animation subforum. Or you may open your personal WIP in the animation subforum. Posting to a WIP thread is not a requirement but it helps to structure once work and improve it. It further helps the community to learn about the process of animation. Above all this contest is ment as a learning experience.

The challenge will last for four weeks (and a few days) followed by one week of voting. Give two to three days for opening the voting thread.
To participate simply post your entry to this thread.
Due to new regulations on this forum people with a low post count are not allowed to post links without moderator approval. If you are in danger of not making the deadline due to this restriction please send a private message with the link to your animation to the host of the contest (musk).

When the voting is finished all votes will be counted and the winner will be announced. If there are no participants after four weeks the challenge will be closed and a new one will be created. If we have only one participant that participant will automatically win.
If there is a tie after the voting is finished the final entry which was posted first wins. The timestamp of the editing dates will be taken into account.
The winner gets to choose the new task. Should he refrain from providing a task or the task is not well suited for the animation challenge then we will provide a new task.
If he desires he may provide a new base file for the animation or improve upon the provided one to suite the needs of the new task.
We invite anybody to send a base file plus task which we might use for future BACs. Basefiles from the previouse challenges as well as all provided basefiles can be downloaded from the official BAC git repository at http://github.com/musk/bac/tree/master.

Please send a copy of your compressed (activate File -> Compress File in Blender) base file to mailtolanger (@) googlemail (.) com. Please put [BAC] in the subject line to make filtering easier.

Please keep in mind that all assets for this challenge should be freely available to all participants.
Unless otherwise stated everyhting is under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/).

If you need server space to post animations, try one of these hosts:

http://www.youtube.com/
https://upload.video.google.com/
http://www.ourmedia.org/
http://www.archive.org/movies/opensource_movies.php
http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/

It is a good idea to post your animation at least to one of the big vidoe hosting sites as some voters have reported problems with privately hosted videos. You may post your video to more then one site. All provided links will be posted in the voting thread.

Best of Luck to everyone and Happy Blending!

now I know why it’s called a challenge

that ain’t gonna be easy

but it sure will be fun

Thanks again for choosing Pantin for this new challenge. This subject doesn’t seem very easy but I will try to do something …
If you prefer, I made a new version of my rig with a lot of new feature like a stretchy spine :
If everybody think it’s ok, this is a new base file :
BAC#5_newrig.blend
Edit : eyes problem is fixed in the file

I didn’t have much time to work on this (just about two hours), but I have been meaning to participate in one of these animation challenges for a while just for the fun of it :slight_smile:

video link:
http://www.vimeo.com/5776232

(The video should be ready/approved within an hour of this post at Vimeo.)

If the possibility arises, I might try to revisit this before the August closing date for this round.

I look forward to seeing some more animations!

RobertT

the animation in your video feels like it needs to be smoother, and your timing needs to be adjusted
it’s really funny though.

@blender3Daddict:

Ok guys I added the official WIP for this Contest in the Animation Subforum http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1433832

Hello;

I downloaded the new Kiopa’s Pantin Rig. I played a bit with it and the improvements are suitable for this new task ( BAC5). Squash & Stretch, eye lids etc. Plus bones are in English for all of you who get a bit confused in the Action Editor with so many French names.

Also if you added “edge Split” modifier to the skateboard, render would look better.

This challenge is going to be interesting, I don’t think Pantin can get away without a couple of broken bones. :frowning:

Good Luck to everyone.

Woohoo!!

Nice challenge wigglyframes!

Ok, here it is in vimeo. And here in youtube.

I see a bit of problem when the head moves the eyes go trough the eye lids. Even resetting all bone’s position and moving the head it still does it. This is mainly caused by stretching constraint in conjunction with lattice modifier. There is always a shift.

Also it needs to be fix the eye target system. One eye follows the target in different way than the other eye. See the second screen shot.

See screen shots:

Attachments

you can lock that bone so it can’t move on the Z and X
but it’s just the same as scaling the head-DEF on the y axis- but it a little bit easier

but the eyes are spaz on the squash and stretch rig

Attachments

Which bone did you move ? Normally if you move the bone named ‘head’, the eyes don’t go through the eyelids.
I forget to say : bones in layer 16 (like ‘DEF_Head’) are mechanical bones, only the 9 first layers is useful for animators.

Yes, there was an error in the bones’ eyes, the problem is fixed in this new file :
BAC#5_newrig.blend
please download it again.
Thank you for this feedback and excuse me again for my poor english.

Which bone did you move ? Normally if you move the bone named ‘head’, the eyes don’t go through the eyelids.

yes the bone “Head”, the one showed in the screen shot as circle on the top head. Eyes go trough the eye lids. I did no touch Head_DEF. Also the problem with the eyes that I mentioned earlier.

Yes the “Head” bone, the one showed in the screen shot. The eyes move incorrectly. Also the problem with the eye’s target that I mentioned earlier.

Interesting!!! Im in…(placeholder)

so the eye targets now work

but there is still the problem with the head stretch and squash
(the same thing as blenderguy2008 has shown)

first and second pic is rotating the head
3rd is translating the head

Attachments

I understood the problem.
I think (I hope) it is fixed in this new file : [BAC#5_newrig.blend](http://hostit.warrenberberd.org/dl.php?file=050abebd8c9e95135ad6daccd4ba30a8) Thank you for your help.
Kiopaa

nice one - had a quick play with the new rig and it looks fixed :slight_smile:

thanks for your hard work

I haven’t tested it yet. However it would be more practical to put all your Object widgets and Lattices on a different layer rather than the same where the Armature is located. Why?
If you are animating and press H to hide any objects interfering your view and then you press Alt-H to unhide objects…puff then you got all the widgets and lattices on the screen. Since you locked the selecting option in the outline editor then the user has the only option to press Ctrl-Z if he realized of the problem on time, otherwise he must activate one by one on the outline Editor to select then and move to a different (No RENDER LAYER) or hide then back again, which is truly unpractical because if Alt-R is pressed lattices will move and there is not easy way back for beginners.

it works better. The only problem still is the cornea that goes trough the eyelids. A quick solution is to not render the cornea, by locking it in the outline editor.

Also a quick way to move hidden widgets and lattices is to open the file press: A A to
deselect everything then Alt H. All hidden stuff will be highlighted, then press M and choose a different layer.