Bullet time effect

Who did ever made an animation using the Bullet Time Effect (like in the matrix)
I am working on an animation using the effect.
Maybe one of you can give me some tips and tricks because the way i make it cost me a lot of time.

I made 145 camera’s. The animation starts on camera 1.
After 107 frames the bullet time effect takes place and i render frame 107 on camera 2…144 and then the animation goes further on camera 145.
Is this the best way to do it, or does anybody have a better way.
Like to hear it.

Scotch

Like to have a animated texture of the matrix Letterfall?
ftp://ftp.csnmedia.nl/pub/letterfall.zip

Well, I think I heard someone say they did it this way:
First they made the normal animation until the bullet time, then copied the last frame inside a new scene (top of the screen) and then rendered the second scene using a different FPS number…

um… bullet time was something invented for ‘real life’…

the reason they have all the cameras is because its not possible to like move the camera that fast, or too move an object that SLOW. so… in blender if you want to do bullet time… all you have to do is move everything REALLY SLOWLY… and move the camera normal speeds… u get it?

all you have to do is move everything REALLY SLOWLY… and move the camera normal speeds… u get it?

Well, i am making an animation with particles so i need a lot of camera’s to line up the scene to make an other object on the same place i think…

Why don’t you just take a time Ipo for the particle emitter and every other moving object except the camera ? Only one camera one scene one animation is needed this way.
If you don’t need a m-blured background it’s quite simple.

heres a .blend with particles that have a time ipo. they go, slow to a stop, then go again. You could for example make a particle based explosion that slows the same way. For a Matrix-like effect, animate the camera to rotate around the particles while they are slowed down. Anything not assigned to a time ipo will go normally.

www.utdallas.edu/~cheyd/timeipoparticles.blend

how did you manage to get the file size so big?

im a goober and didnt realize i had a gargantuan texture packed into it.

Graet, thanks for the time option.

Scotch

I tweaked the blend file a little and I think I came up with an interesting effect. It took five minutes to create the path and get the camera tracking right. Download it here. Not sure which encoder I used, so just give it a try. :expressionless:

I might use this technique in some short anims as it looks pretty cool. As I understand, Blender now does sounds too, so a swish would fit in there just fine.

Thats the effect i use in the production i’ve been working on.
Thanks for you tip of the time Ipo. It saves a lot of time.

Scotch

I did a bullet-esqe effect for one of my animations, which required time Ipos for a bunch of stuff in the scene, I spent a lot of time screwing around with frames getting things to work right.

In retrospect, I wish I had applied the time IPO to the camera. Then run the rest of the animation at normal speed, and run the bullet-time camera at super-slow time when the bullet time effect is needed. I think it would also make sense to keep the bullet-time camera and its curve in a separate scene.

I haven’t actually tried this approach, but I think it is at least worth a look.

-Andy