Fencing Duel (momentarely on hold)

I am currently working on a swordfighting game to see if I can make a realistic fencing game. The main feature is direct control over the sword. My current focus is gameplay: see if the character can be controlled properly, graphics are secondary (Euhrm, got a bit sidetracked here :D) and the to do list is also still very long (but getting shorter).

I have now been working on it since June 2009 (It is also my first Blender project) and now that it is getting some tangable results I would like to post it. :wink:

And I submitted the game for the 2010 contest, details can be found here, I hope you all like it and vote for it :wink:

FEATURES:
-Rigged ragdolls
-Ragdoll hair :stuck_out_tongue:
-Precision action
-Realtime actions, no predefined moves
-Network, internet/LAN
-Chat function
-“Basic” AI (:eek:, NOOOO, he is hitting me, make him stop…), also check command prompt for his plans:evilgrin:
-Gamespeed control
-Hit location system
-Creates constraint when stabbed (weapon pierces)
-Different camera views
-Simple sound effects
-Menus
-Lot of python :evilgrin:
-Scenery

LATEST UPDATE (27-2-2010):
-AI checks if it is going to hit before continuing the attack
-AI attacks when there is an opening
-Some tuning for faster motions
-Scenery (simple garden)
-Replaced sounds with my own, added froissement :smiley: sound
-Different footsteps for grass and stone

DOWNLOAD LATEST BLEND FILE
Set game to GLSL textures for optimal graphics

A gameplay videos:

PS: A good illustration of the swordfighting I want to recreate can be found here. Although I focus on the rapier (a weapon I know very well), instead of greatswords. But I think the movies give a good example of swordfighting techniques, and I hope to recreate as much as possible.

To do list:
To Do:

• Advanced AI (have some good plans for this)
  • Off hand dagger control (Attack, parry, advance with left foot)
  • Textures (face, hair, shirt, pants)
  • More scenery (Outside/forrest, Palace, Narrow alley)

Ambitious:

• Additional details to chose from (different heads, hands, shirts, belts, skirts, whatever)
  • More sounds
  • Limping with injuries

Attachments

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/

I would like to check this out :slight_smile:

I like what I see thus far. I come from a Kenjitsu(Japanese swordsmanship) backround, and I love games of this nature. You should take a good look at the game Kengo, as it would help you get a good feel for the flow of a game of this nature.

I’ll be watching your progress, good luck.

Here’s a link of kengo to check out.

I uploaded the .blend file to:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/864
Duel_V1.blend

I hope it works

I myself practive european fencing, so I have something to compare it with. The game however is already slower than realtime. For you can be hit with the flick of a wrist and I can’t think of any computer input/output to handle that.

The Kengo game also seems to be based on combos and pre-defined actions, and I try an alternative approach. Also a big part of fencing is based on oppertunities and responding to the actions of the opponent, changing the line of attack to beat a parry for example. But also underhanded tricks like grabbing someones weapon with the off-hand or kicking would be possible. I have no ideas yet how to implement the latter though. And I have no real experience either as these days it is no longer allowed :p.

nice concept, but when you press w it moves the sword to the upper right and dosen’t move the charachter forward.

I see, my mistake by mixing it up.

EDIT: controls have changed

The controls are:
#Movement
Lounge Space
Forward W
Backward X
Left Z
Right C
Stop S

#Sword
Target direction: Mouse position
Stretch arm: Left mouse button
Withdraw arm F

#Hand position
Lower right D
Lower left A
Upper right E
Upper left Q
Taunt 1, weapon wide & up R
Taunt 2, weapon wide & down V

wow, looks amazing, sword is a bit slow but goood job!

Thanks for the exciting replies. Could you give some feedback on how the controls work, and if stabbing the opponent has been successful?
Would it be useful to give some basic attack routines?

Also I think a good next step would be network options and a scoring system :yes:. Further improvement of the controls & gameplay require more complex interaction to test properly. And I don’t see a smart AI rising soon…

MAJOR GRAPHICS UPDATE :D:D:D, now the focus can get back to gameplay :o.

Any ideas on a scoring system are welcome, realistically you could win by a single hit in the first few seconds, incapacitating the opponent. Now I could work with something like this, or give it phases so that your reaction/strength drops if you get hit.
Alternatively I could go for a series of matches and that you get points everytime you hit, after a hit the game resets. The first one with 15 points is the real master.
Which would be more fun.

Also I am now looking at WSAG (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113438), to see if I can get a network running. Anyone interested in helping me test this when I get it to work?

hey nice i tested it a few thisng i found weird is that only the hand and swords moves but not the arm or the character and you float and dont move also the game runs at 8fps i think it must be because of the dinamic shadows

What Blender version do you have? The script that aligns the armature to the ragdoll only workes since an update of 2.49a in July, I use 2.49b. Do any errors show up in the black box?

uhmm i guess thats it i use 2.49 (beta lol)

heres the cmd output but yeah it does refrerence to tha armature script
i’ll try with the 2.49 b

Attachments

Wow, that’s a lot of python for such a game. :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t get a **** of the controlls, but it looks really nice. =]

yeah it was the blender version i had the game now runs at 50 fps and the armatures moves

haha really cool game so far :stuck_out_tongue:
cant wait to play the finished version

and maybe changing the keys its had and confusing to play it lol

Actually you made a ragdolls everybody wants so badly. :wink: Your game is neat,good job!

Thanks for the feedback

Wow, that’s a lot of python for such a game.

Well I try to avoid logic bricks where possible, python gives so much more freedom and often is even easier once you get to know it :cool:. And I doubt ragdolls are easy to tackle with logic bricks either.

i had the game now runs at 50 fps

It is not fair, I only get 35 :eek:

Actually you made a ragdolls everybody wants so badly.

I doubt it is much work to add some scripts to a basic ragdoll so that it is controlled by a few empties (feet positions, hand positions, elbow directions and head orientation). I you want it I could add them to the ragdoll Rewii93 made in the resource forum for the armature script.

And for the controls any suggestions are welcome, I don’t know any other games that gives that much control as here so I have to invent some accesible controls. For the sword it is important to quickly move the hand as well as the sword direction :). I was thinking to add a parry and direct strike for the off hand dagger to the right and middle mouse button :D.
And maybe use the QAZTGB for different movement modes (jumpy, steady, balance forward/backward for quick attack/retreat) :evilgrin:.

I doubt it is much work to add some scripts to a basic ragdoll so that it is controlled by a few empties (feet positions, hand positions, elbow directions and head orientation). I you want it I could add them to the ragdoll Rewii93 made in the resource forum for the armature script.
Yes, its true, but i I ment the ragdoll models…cause everybody uses a boxman for the dolls your models a great for boxman replacement.
Anyway…good luck with your project.

New update, see list of added features. I think those cover all the changes.

Any feedback is welcome, I think the gameplay can use some modification as I has not been extensively playtested. So if you try out the network with some friends please give me some feedback how it worked out :o.

PS @ haidme: making the ragdoll fit the charater is not that difficult. Either first create the character model and chop it up or link the ragdoll objects together and remove the seems.

Wow looks good!

Dude it’s really awesome.

You need to change the controlls and a little faster movements though.
Maybe change W,A,S,D for walking.
Mouse click to lunge?
1,2,3,4 to change hand?

Something like that. It’s a little hard to controll atm.

Anyways, an internet connection, awesome python. I’m really impressed ^^