Blender vs panda3d

What is more powerful simple answer please

Panda3d is used with code only. Blender game engine can make games without coding. As far as recourse efficiency, stability and feature set Panda is probably superior. But if you can’t code then panda3d is kinda out of the question.

I know a little python enough to make a simple text rpg and know no bge python but coding will not be a problem I could always learn I am just looking for graphics capabilities and speed which is less laggy and which better handles high vertex models

Panda3D doesn’t have all the editing utilities for rapid development like the BGE doesn, last I’ve seen you need to plug in your own level editor and your own models, the engine by itself has no model, texture, sound, or level editor, you have to plug that all in with code.

Also you may have to plug in your own physics engine too using an API like Bullet or ODE, you may also have to create and define a camera using code instead of using a camera object that you can place anywhere, you may need to know some of the OpenGL API.

Panda3D is kind of like Darkbasic and other game API’s, they can be very powerful, but it will take longer than a few hours to get something really playable.

I tried panda once; It was very confusing. As far as i know, panda doesn’t have a significant community, or half-decent API docs (correct me if i’m wrong)

I have used darkbasic and on that forum I am known as arbiterchewbaccahybrid I simply want to know which engine is faster panda3d or blender

If its engine speed you want (different than power) I think panda is likely faster. As far as development speed blender wins.

I know that they have equal graphics capabilities.but I am willing to learn to code panda python if it means a faster engine but is there a way that I could replace the default blender engine with the panda one and get bullet physics plugin for python. so that way I could have panda3ds power and blenders awesome GUI so that I don’t have a work in a boring Ide editor. I mean there would still be a serious amount of coding but I could at least get a cool level editor

With Blender 2.5 you could theoretically make a tight and fairly quick pipeline between Blender and Panda, maybe even something like what you can do between Blender and Unity where your scene updates in a viewer in Panda3D everytime you save your .blend file.

It’s pretty easy to create assets in an external app and bring them in. This is the workflow of 99% of development pipelines and is the normal way to do things. I actually prefer keeping asset creation and actual game creation separate. You can create your levels in blender regardless of what engine you use.

well yes because levels are models and blender is a 3d modeling software. but I mean actually dragging an object around in a scene with a text editor for the code right next to it and whenever you drag it the code will change. suppose the code is

position object(zombie): x=-35,y=53,z=22

then you drag the object in blenders editor 5 units up on the y axis then the code would change to

position object(zombie): x=-35,y=58,z=22

so you could drag and place objects in the scene freely without having to keep tweaking values in code to get a static object where you want it.

Now that wasn’t real code but I assume you understand my point and this isn’t the only advantage. The are tons of others and if I combined the best of both worlds we would possibly have a game engine, (and editor) capable of matching commercial engines such as unreal engine 3. now this may seem like an unrealistic goal at first but we have all seen things like it. And if you don’t understand my point by now we are just combing the best things about every free and open source engine out there(blender,irrilict,ogre,crystal space,panda3d,pygame,pyopengl,…) to create unreal engine on steriods… completely free and open source. But the people who helped to make this possible would have to keep it secret for about a month in order to gain some understanding of there creation before putting it out there.

(Imagine how big the library for this language would be o_0:eyebrowlift:

Hello friends,
There are several Blender plugins contributed by Panda3D users.Chicken is the most recently updated, documented and feature complete. It supports static meshes and armature animation, materials, vertex colors, alpha textures, tags, object types, etc. It also has advanced features such as automatic invocation of Panda tools (egg2bam, egg-optchar and pview) and Motion Extraction.EggX is another exporter that does materials, non-procedural textures, armature animation, static meshes.

Greetings all,

To Arbiter410: Please know, I’m not trying to burst your bubble. It’s great to have a vision, it’s how great things get accomplished…so keep your vision.

However…and I’m going to pick on just one aspect of this massive game creation project you’re looking at…

Game engines like Havok and Unreal are collaborations by many talented people and lots of $$$. Some people have a natural talent for being good coders. Some people have a natural talent for physics. You have to have both of these talents (single, or collectively) to create a good game engine.

Bullet as an example, while awesome, doesn’t have the same level of resources thrown at it that Havok or Unreal does, so therefore, will never be an Unreal engine on steroids. If it was, it wouldn’t be free (as in beer).

Graphics is another angle to look at it from. There are so many techniques to achieve results with graphics, and the technology is forever changing. Again, you will probably never see an open source graphics engine that approaches the current state-of-the-art.

So to answer your question, which is faster, Panda or Blender. I propose this as an answer. If you are a talented coder, and have a real good understanding how to optimise your code, not only for useability, but for speed, go with Panda–as it gives you more power and flexibility overall. If you know very little about what it takes to make a game engine, stick with Blender. You’ll have all the power you’ll need.:yes:

what Physics engine you use probably doesn’t matter.
GTA4 used bullet physics, if you want to know how good it is that is an excellent example.