Audio Mixdown Issues in 2.5

Hi there, I’m using Blender 2.5 on Mac, and working on a storyreel. I’ve been able to assemble the storyboard shots along with some temp audio tracks. I’ve been able to do a rough mix using curves to control the volume for each of the audio tracks in the sequencer. It plays back fine in Blender, but I can’t seem to get it to export properly. When I render the video file, the volume levels are all wrong for the audio tracks. Is this an issue that is currently being worked on, a bug that is new, or do I just not know how to do this properly?
Thanks for any feedback on this, it’s driving me nuts!!!

I’m not able to test 2.5 currently (Linux), but you mention ‘Mixdown’, have you tried mixing down the audio to a wav and listening to that, rather than encoding audio with the video? It might help establish if it’s the codec you’re going to or blender itself.

You could render out the video and mux the audio in + shift, with something like AVIdemux. Perhaps too many hoops for tests and it is a workaround, but for final stuff I personally render image sequences + mixed down audio tracks then mux in AVIdemux and encode out to delivery formats.

What codec are you using?

FoxDogg covers audio mixing in his video #10.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=177224&highlight=video+10

There may be some information in there for you. But it just might be a bug too.

Well, of course I could mix the audio in another app, but it was nice to be able to time the audio clips to the video in Blender and then export it all together. The way it’s working right now, I couldn’t even export the mixed audio by itself because the individual levels of the various clips come out wrong during export.

Does anyone know who the main developer is for the audio portion of the sequencer is? I’d like to ask them if this is a bug or not. Thanks!

The timing can be transferred from blender, but as you say simple projects just encode straight out as a movie is what you want.

I couldn’t even export the mixed audio by itself because the individual levels of the various clips come out wrong during export.

So in answer to my first comment mixdown doesn’t work correctly.

What audio system are you using in 2.5? SDL? OpenAL? Jack?

Blender has a bugtracker for 2.5, use that. Nexyon is the main audio dev.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?u=51263

Thanks Yellow, I’ll try asking Nexyon. I’m using the SDL audio system, as I find it works the best in the sequencer.