How to use Aqsis for rendering?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to set Aqsis as the render engine in blender.
I’ve heard that in version 2.48 you could select which render engine you wanted right below the render button, but that doesn’t seem to be the case in 2.49.

I am running Mac OSX 10.4 if that makes any difference…

I appreciate any help. :slight_smile:

You need to find and install a script called RIBmosaic
This acts as the interface between Blender to Aqsis (or any other renderman complient renderer you have installed)

Ribmosaic homepage is here
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ribmosaic/index.php?title=Main_Page

Also this website is a repository of blender to renderman info
http://www.blendertorenderman.org/

I installed Ribmosaic, but how do get Blender to use it?
The Ribmosaic site said, “install Blender, install Python, copy mosaic.py into your scripts folder” but there is no “blender scripts folder” on Mac…

You also simply open the Mosaic.py script in a text window and execute the code. Then you will have an option to render with Aqsis within the Mosaic dialog.

I clicked on ‘Mosiac.py’ then terminal opened up and gave me the following text:

Last login: Fri Feb 26 08:03:27 on ttyp1
“/usr/bin/pythonw” “/Users/Administrator/Desktop/mosaic.py” && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Welcome to Darwin!
administrators-emac:~ Administrator$ “/usr/bin/pythonw” “/Users/Administrator/Desktop/mosaic.py” && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/Administrator/Desktop/mosaic.py”, line 58, in ?
import subprocess
ImportError: No module named subprocess
administrators-emac:~ Administrator$

Nothing happened after that because I’m assuming it couldn’t find “the module named subprocess”…

How do I fix it?

I’m not very familiar with Mac’s however the error “ImportError: No module named subprocess” means the script cannot load the subprocess module from your Python installation. This means either Blender is not picking up your Python installation during startup or your using the wrong version of Python?

To be clear the latest version of MOSAIC should be run IN Blender 2.49b with Python 2.5 or 2.6 installed. To do this you can either place mosaic.py in Blender’s scripts folder and select it in Blender’s Render menu or change one of Blender’s windows to the text editor, load mosaic.py in the editor then right click and “Execute Script” :wink:

Eric Back (WHiTeRaBBiT)

I checked, and saw I was running Python 2.3, so I installed 2.6, then opened text editor in Blender, opened ‘Mosaic.py’, right clicked and selected ‘execute script’, and then… It said “Python script error check console”, then showed me that “Import subprocess” was highlighted within the code.

I know very little about coding and python etc. and I don’t know what I should do next… other than pull my hair out.

Try downloading blender 2.49b that runs python 2.6 from the blender website. The version you have now is still running 2.3

Blender to Renderman Pipeline Tools

These are the tools you would need in order to run Blender and Aqsis together. The OpenEXR is only required if wanting to use that file format to render to (recommended) but the rest are pretty much required.