Joe - a Free Character Rig - 2.60a

Hi all,

This is Joe, a free character/rig I created a while back.

*** I’ve updated Joe to work with blender 2.60a. Long over due and I’ve made a few improvements to Joe.***

I’ve improved the shoulders by adding mesh deform cages & modifiers, update the ui python script, and various other fixes not worth mentioning to keep Joe current with the current version of Blender. You can download Joe here and a video tour of the controls can be found here. If you have any questions, comments or find a bug, please post them, (screenshots and descriptions would be nice if you find a bug). The shirt, pants, and shoes are uv mapped and include textures and normal maps, the eyes are textured as well. Everything is packed in the .blend file, (download is a .zip file to reduce size).

So feel free to use it as you wish and give me some feedback on it.
Enjoy!
Randy

Attachments

Nice rig!

I’ve played with your character for a while and I like it. Complete rig with all the bells and whistles and simple and useful facial rig.

I’ll give it **** for a reason that I don’t like the guy (not my type of stylization)

Other than that: thumbs up, you’ve done good job!

Hi Randy:

I download and took a took at it. Looks like it will be fun to animate.
My only crit is that it is 11 blender units tall, making him about 34 feet tall. He just won’t play well with the other animatable boys and girls :wink:
Any chance of getting a version of him that’s about 5’ 10" (under 2 bu tall.)

Nice rig,

aljo

Edit:
Never mind. I managed to get it resized. (move ya up form 4 stars to 5 stars :wink:

Now if only there was a way I can create that kind of mesh…

Bug: when I try to make him stand on his toes his foot mesh flips!

p.s for some reason, Blenderartists didn’t registered my rating…

ristesekuloski: Interesting, can you provide me with the action that is causing this flipping? Or describe it a bit better, screenshots? I’ve just tried to make it happen and can’t. I’ll drop you a pm on the subject now!

Randy

Thanks ristesekuloski!! I’ve corrected the problem, updated the file and everything is good now, please re-download and try it.

If anyone else has downloaded this character already, please re-download it from the link in the first post. Joe worked fine thru all my testing with 2.52, 2.53, & 2.54, but ristesekuloski exposed a bug with the rig if you use him in a recent graphicall.org build, (or basically, the next upcoming release of blender 2.5x).

Thanks and hope everyone enjoys Joe!
Randy

WoW! That was fast! The more I play with Joe, I like him more. And yes, his feet don’t flip anymore!

Nice rig Randy! Very easy to use and animate. I didn’t like the character design that much, but oh well, its free :smiley:

i would rate this rig as awesome. but there is a problem. in pose mode you can move one of the legs at all

Another stinking artwork that’ll receive a Terrible star. I suggest rig uploaders find an appropriate forum section other than Artwork.

Namekuseijin, I feel I need to quote you from another post you wrote on. “you guys whine far too much…”. Reading posts you’ve replied to, it seems like that’s what you do quite a bit. Everyone else seems to really enjoy the rigs people are uploading… everyone except you that is. Maybe you should stop whining so much.

Revolt-Randy, thanks so much for the rig! Really helpful and keep the good stuff coming!

that would be nice for a dorky game character

Thanks Revolt this is awesome.

Video was very helpful too.

crazycourier: lol owned

First character animation, not from a tutorial, using Joe :slight_smile:

http://www.vimeo.com/17232898

Here are some poses :slight_smile:

Hi revolt_randy,

thank you very much for this great rig.
I am currently figuring out how your python script for the custom properties panels functions. To turn on the bone layer visibility that’s pretty easy, but I do have some problems understanding how the FK/IK switches do interact with the drivers.
Therefore I would like to ask you if it would be possible to provide a tutorial e.g. with one FK/IK arm (like in your FK/IK switch tutorial) on how to set up properly the drivers and the python script.

Thanks a lot!

Ah, yea… let’s dig up this old thread!!! (forgive me mods…but it’s my thread…)

Joe has been updated and working great in Blender 2.60a. I updated Joe and sent a copy in to BlenderArt magazine, the online publication, and a link to this thread was given in issue #35. I discovered a small problem with Joe since then and have fixed the small bug.

So go to the first post of this thread, download Joe and try it out!!!

Randy

ps. shibazz…love the poses and the work you did with Joe!!!

Hey, what happenned? Joe is not available. I hope it just means that you are updating or improving him. :slight_smile: