Patching blender

Hi all I am very new to Blender and right now I need to use it to convert some files to a physics format known as bullet. I have a .blend scene with a script in it to export data from the scene into the format I desire in my game engine. Unfortunately due to a lack of compiles of this blender version based on my understanding I need to build the patch file into a new compilation of Blender. The available compiled patched version wont work (saying its missing some files apparantly no one else needs!)

I have the source for “blender-2.50a1” and I have the patch file “BlenderBulletExport.patch” however I need a functional guide or gist on compiling or integrating a patch and I am way behind schedule as things stand so I do not have all the time in the world to tinker with the inner workings of blender.

I have seen a couple of how do I use a patch QnA where people have specified you can do things via the engine like this:

>>> "patch -p0 < (your patch, or in my case)BlenderBulletExport.patch

This gives me errors
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<blender_console>”, line 1, in <module>
NameError: name ‘patch’ is not defined

So that clearly is not what I need to be doing. I need to rapidly get a move on my default programming environment is MSVS 2010 and C++, python is not my fortay I dont even know what API is fastest to compile it in when applying patches!

Can anyone hook me up with a good tutorial on compiling blender and actually “installing” a ‘patch’ into it?

P.S Calling these things “patches” is rediculous when you have to build new versions of the application to implement them! Maybe mutants is a better term as they mutate the source code to perform an alterior function.

Anyway any help ismuch appreciated

Thanks

Enlightened One

‘patch’ isn’t a python command and unless you’re trying to duck punch one of the built-in python types you probably won’t get very far using the built in console.

Anyway, msvc probably has some sort of built in diffing/patching mechanism.

Ok so implementing a patch via anything built in is out, thanks for clarifying that! Like I said python is not something I am greatly familiar with.

What is the formal API to open Blender in? is there no list of files to link in order to successfully compile it? is there no formal process for applying a patch file to the source?

I highly doubt if a patch file exists there is not some specific application I need to use to apply the patch file to the source thats what I am after. I have never seen a .patch file before or heard mention of it before right now. Several googlings lead me to suspect its not something documentation is all the rage for so I would like anybody who does know just the loose process to combine A the source with B the patch file and compile Blender into a functioning C so I can get myself moving.

That is what I am after, apologise for the rookie python mistake :slight_smile:

Thanks

EnlightenedOne

OK, patch has nothing to do with python…at all. Forget about python.

You either need the program called ‘patch’ or you might be able to use a built-in tool in msvc (don’t do windows meself so can’t say).

Seems its only designed to take patches via the root in linux distributions I am unable to proceed I guess I will have to wait on the developers of the physics engine releasing a working copy!

Thanks for your advice!

We will build .bullet export into the official Blender 2.5 release soon.

In the meanwhile, missing dll’s for the patched Blender 2.49b are here:
http://code.google.com/p/bullet-physics-editor/downloads

Thanks,
Erwin

I don’t know what OS you’re running, but on Windows I use TortoiseSVN to apply patches to the Blender source code. Using TortoiseSVN’s GUI to patch a file is a lot easier than trying to do it via the command line.

Oh, I did never use patch from TortoiseSVN, but it is an option … indeed it asks (after activating pathc) for the diff or patch file
NO linux patch needed :wink: on Windows operating system … I will remember!

Hi Erwin,

I downloaded ver 2.57 (stable) of Blender, but I don’t see .bullet in the export options. What’s the plan for this export option? I would very much like to use that format.

Thanks!
Jack

patches on linux use files made by the diff program, here’s a GNU compliant one for windoze (not that i’ve tried it out)

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm