Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1. #1

    Best game graphics ever?

    What's the game with the best graphics you've ever seen?

    My personal choice is God of War III.
    What's yours?




  2. #2
    Member Linoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    México
    Posts
    2
    Maked it with Blender?

    I prefer Star Wars, XD



  3. #3
    lol any game. Any screens?



  4. #4
    Donating Member arexma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,796
    Originally Posted by Dhaher View Post
    What's the game with the best graphics you've ever seen?
    So whatīs best in game graphics?
    By what standards does one judge that?

    One would argue that Crysis 2 atm holde the best graphics crown, but it lives a lot by the shaders and the quality of the artists using an engine.
    Many Unreal engine games look quite as good as Crytek engine games if the artists do a good job.
    Borderlands has nice graphics, but is completely cellshaded not very photorealistic.

    I think there is nothing more unimportant for a game than the best graphics.
    It has to be entertaining and good by itself first, then the handling has to be good and at last the overall look and feel has to be good.

    Best graphics ever is the worst indicator for a good game.

    Originally Posted by Dhaher View Post
    My personal choice is God of War III.
    Really? A console game? with rather limited engine capabilities, mostly low res textures (due to streaming) and low resolutions?
    My superpower? Common sense. It seems so rare these days, it has to be a superpower..
    "Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.” - Joseph Campbell



  5. #5
    Member NinthJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,960
    Not really a game but I saw a scene built in a game engine that I was almost completely sure was a stylized photograph before the player started moving the camera around.

    It was a video on youtube I saw ~2 years ago. It displayed a small basement with a beautiful fur-mat hanging on the rail to the upper floor. I have searched for that video for almost a year now and I can't find it again xD

    If someone finds it please post it here, it would be greatly appreciated.



  6. #6
    Originally Posted by arexma View Post
    So whatīs best in game graphics?
    By what standards does one judge that?

    One would argue that Crysis 2 atm holde the best graphics crown, but it lives a lot by the shaders and the quality of the artists using an engine.
    Many Unreal engine games look quite as good as Crytek engine games if the artists do a good job.
    Borderlands has nice graphics, but is completely cellshaded not very photorealistic.

    I think there is nothing more unimportant for a game than the best graphics.
    It has to be entertaining and good by itself first, then the handling has to be good and at last the overall look and feel has to be good.

    Best graphics ever is the worst indicator for a good game.



    Really? A console game? with rather limited engine capabilities, mostly low res textures (due to streaming) and low resolutions?
    Well it's judged by how photo-realistic the game looks. God of war III uses an amazing rendering engine, so the fact of it being a console game does not change anything.

    I'm not saying that graphics should be prioritized over gameplay, but I just think it's still important.



  7. #7
    Member Zootanore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    527
    Actually, the fact it is on a console changes a lot. I don't think you understand the limitations consoles have that PC's can easily overcome. Crysis 2 gets my vote.
    ----MR. T SAYS BLEND!!!




  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Zootanore View Post
    Actually, the fact it is on a console changes a lot. I don't think you understand the limitations consoles have that PC's can easily overcome. Crysis 2 gets my vote.
    I actually do understand the limitations on consoles, but what I meant is that the a console game can still have excellent graphics vs a pc game.



  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    266
    @arexma:
    I agree and disagree.

    Originally Posted by arexma
    I think there is nothing more unimportant for a game than the best graphics.
    It has to be entertaining and good by itself first, then the handling has to be good and at last the overall look and feel has to be good.

    Best graphics ever is the worst indicator for a good game.
    I agree very much that it is not a game's graphics that make it good (though there is nothing wrong with good graphics!), it is the game's gameplay, story, etc.

    Originally Posted by arexma
    So whatīs best in game graphics?
    By what standards does one judge that?
    By what whatever standards you have for good graphics! Notice Dhaher's question.
    What's the game with the best graphics you've ever seen?
    (Underline added)

    He is just asking what your personal choice of game for best graphics is. The game with the best graphics that I have ever personally seen is Prince Caspian The Game. I know it probably does not hold a candle to some other games out there, but that does not change the fact that it has the best graphics that I have ever personally seen (I am not a gamer).

    Originally Posted by arexma
    One would argue that Crysis 2 atm holde the best graphics crown, but it lives a lot by the shaders and the quality of the artists using an engine.
    Many Unreal engine games look quite as good as Crytek engine games if the artists do a good job.
    Borderlands has nice graphics, but is completely cellshaded not very photorealistic.
    Well yeah! Any game's graphics live largely by the talent of the artists making it regardless of the engine behind it. I have seen junk graphics and I have seen great graphics come out of the BGE (I am sure you have also). Same engine, different artists, very different results.

    Originally Posted by arexma
    Originally Posted by Dhaher
    My personal choice is God of War III.
    Really? A console game? with rather limited engine capabilities, mostly low res textures (due to streaming) and low resolutions?
    Again, Dhaher was not asking what our choice of game engine or platform was, just what we personally thought the game with best graphics was.



    @Zootanore

    Originally Posted by Zootanore
    Actually, the fact it is on a console changes a lot. I don't think you understand the limitations consoles have that PC's can easily overcome. Crysis 2 gets my vote.
    How does that change how a game looks? We are talking about the actual looks of a game, not the potential looks of a game. The fact that a computer is capable of better graphics is meaningless if no game has those better graphics.


    In conclusion to Zootanore and arexma.
    Just my thoughts on this conversation, hope I did not sound to uppity or rude and that no animosity comes between us.
    Last edited by A'nW; 06-Mar-11 at 19:46.



  10. #10
    @A'nW- Couldn't say it better myself.



  11. #11
    Member jackblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In Your Closet!
    Posts
    2,495
    Pacman.

    In all seriousness though, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
    ALL YOUR BLENDS ARE BELONG TO US.



  12. #12
    Donating Member arexma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,796
    Originally Posted by A'nW View Post
    was not asking what our choice of game engine or platform was, just what we personally thought the game with best graphics was.
    Thatīs why I am puzzled he named a console game. My guess is he just likes the game without having real knowledge about the matter - no offense.
    He wanted a discussion, here it is. God of War is a Playstation product line, so he is bound to that, and the graphics of a game only define by the used engine and the quality of the artists and prior is simply crap on the PS3 due to its hardware.

    PS3, being a next gen console runs on a NVIDIA RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' - which is, broken to bits just a Nvidia GF7900GT.
    Thatīs a graphics card from 5 generations ago, not even capable of DX10 features, not having geometry shaders.
    Then you got the texture size limitation of a console due to streaming and the card only having 256mb vRAM.
    The MSAA and AF ainīt the best either.

    So basically he says the game bound to an inferiour device has the best graphic he ever saw.
    Itīs like comparing a photo to a cave painting - and yeh, latter could be aesthetically more pleaseing but then you got do say why.
    But, he does not say by what definition it has the best graphic.

    Itīs like saying I got the best car ever.
    Others need to know what particular things you judge in a composition of many quality criteria - if you donīt the whole statement is empty.
    My superpower? Common sense. It seems so rare these days, it has to be a superpower..
    "Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.” - Joseph Campbell



  13. #13
    Member Wefyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,252
    OK, you guys have been arguing about PC v Console.
    And i'm sick of it. PC has not only higher capabilities, but higher levels of adaption.
    And i completely agree with Crysis 2 having the best, because it does. Both statistically and visually!
    ome on guys it doesnt take any more than a quick google search of "does PS3 or PC have better graphics" and you will see completely verified evidence. EG. the game F1 2010, released on both PC and PS3, now you look at 2 screanshots of the SAME REPLAY and you can see that the PC has graphics that basically PWN the PS3, it's like comparing paint to photoshop!
    Was that....Cheese?



  14. #14
    Member tyrant monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Windhoek, Namibia
    Posts
    4,527
    Originally Posted by Wefyb View Post
    OK, you guys have been arguing about PC v Console.
    And i'm sick of it. PC has not only higher capabilities, but higher levels of adaption.
    And i completely agree with Crysis 2 having the best, because it does. Both statistically and visually!
    ome on guys it doesnt take any more than a quick google search of "does PS3 or PC have better graphics" and you will see completely verified evidence. EG. the game F1 2010, released on both PC and PS3, now you look at 2 screanshots of the SAME REPLAY and you can see that the PC has graphics that basically PWN the PS3, it's like comparing paint to photoshop!
    80% of PC games today are just console ports and poor ones at that most of the time, so even if the pc has all that graphical oomph its ever hardly on display. Crysis 2 is itself a victim of this I believe its gone urban because its a now multi platform title. So I think ps3 and xbox can hold their own. From the ps3 itself uncharted would be right up there on my list.
    Last edited by tyrant monkey; 07-Mar-11 at 03:19.
    I have 500 bad drawings in me before the good ones. And I have 365 to go, here they are.



  15. #15
    Moderator 3dmedieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,991
    Don't know if this is the best ever, but I just stumbled upon this (720p):

    Warning: Really violent.

    Ok, this is actually just animation. I was wondering....Game play doesn't look like that.

    Last edited by 3dmedieval; 07-Mar-11 at 06:47.



  16. #16
    Originally Posted by arexma View Post
    Thatīs why I am puzzled he named a console game. My guess is he just likes the game without having real knowledge about the matter - no offense.
    He wanted a discussion, here it is. God of War is a Playstation product line, so he is bound to that, and the graphics of a game only define by the used engine and the quality of the artists and prior is simply crap on the PS3 due to its hardware.

    PS3, being a next gen console runs on a NVIDIA RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' - which is, broken to bits just a Nvidia GF7900GT.
    Thatīs a graphics card from 5 generations ago, not even capable of DX10 features, not having geometry shaders.
    Then you got the texture size limitation of a console due to streaming and the card only having 256mb vRAM.
    The MSAA and AF ainīt the best either.

    So basically he says the game bound to an inferiour device has the best graphic he ever saw.
    Itīs like comparing a photo to a cave painting - and yeh, latter could be aesthetically more pleaseing but then you got do say why.
    But, he does not say by what definition it has the best graphic.

    Itīs like saying I got the best car ever.
    Others need to know what particular things you judge in a composition of many quality criteria - if you donīt the whole statement is empty.
    I asked for opinions, not a discussion. Please don't jump into conclusions.



  17. #17
    Moderator 3dmedieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,991
    Damn fellas, he just wanted everyone to post some awesome screens / videos of graphics they like. That's it.



  18. #18
    Personally, I'm sticking with FF XIII.
    I'm not sure it's technically the best, but I've yet to see something with a greater wow factor for myself.



  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    266
    I agree with 3dmedieval.
    On topic. For 2d game graphics I personally really like the graphics of Battle for Wesnoth. Being a 2d game it really is just good artists artwork, but I still think that that game looks really good for its genre.



  20. #20
    Donating Member arexma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,796
    Originally Posted by Dhaher View Post
    I asked for opinions, not a discussion. Please don't jump into conclusions.
    Asking for opinions is creating a discussion, itīs rather rare all people have the same opinion.
    My superpower? Common sense. It seems so rare these days, it has to be a superpower..
    "Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.” - Joseph Campbell



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •