Skydome problem

Hi guys,

I’m not sure if this is a known issue, or if I’m missing something here. I’ve created a skydome, which works quite nicely. However when I get so far away from the edge, the background starts showing through.
For example this is what it looks like when I’m in the middle of the dome

And this is what it looks like when I’m far to one side, looking back on the whole thing

As you can see some of the background shows through. This circle of blue closes up the closer I get to it.

This only happens when I scale up the skydome to quite a large size, I need a lot of space in my game, so I can’t afford this to happen really :S

Is there any known solution to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Will

Edit: I just thought it might be worth pointing out that the same thing happens to a skybox

You can adjust the clipping distance of the camera to solve this, but if I were you, I would have added the skydome to a background scene instead. Then I would make the camera in that scene copy the rotation of the camera in the main scene. This can be done by a simple script, and even by only logic bricks.

Hi Arhusebo,

Thanks for your response, I’ll check out the clipping distance.
Your other method sounds interesting. How would I go about doing that?

I have never done it, but it’s pretty simple:

1. Add a new scene with a new camera in it.
  2. Put your skydome inside the new scene and scale it down so that the camera is just inside the sphere.
  3. Go back into the main scene and select the camera. Go into the Logic Brick editor and add an Always sensor connected to an AND controller and connect that to an overlay scene actuator. In the input put the name of your skydome scene.
  4. After that you should make a script for those two cameras where you copy the rotation from one to another. If your using blender 2.49 you need to store the rotation in a 3v3 Matrix so that you can add that to the skydome camera orientation. In 2.5 I think you have to use Quaternions instead of a Rotation Matrix.

You should spend some time reading about python and the blender API before you try to assemble this script. I’m sorry that I can’t make an example for you now because I’m on vacation and I don’t have my computer here :confused:

This is really helpful.
Thanks Arhusbo :smiley: I’ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Will