Page 671 of 732 FirstFirst ... 171 571 621 661669670671672673 681 721 ... LastLast
Results 13,401 to 13,420 of 14638
    Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    Cycles needs volumetric rendering (slated for 2.70), render-time displacement, major optimizations, and (for some) baking yet, and then we can see that Cycles has largely made it into a true professional-level solution.

Along with that and afterward would come those things that are the icing on the cake, Ptex support, microdisplacement, support for multiple strand primitive types in the same scene, more procedural texture nodes, improved bricks node with the ability to bevel the edges, wireframe node enhancements hat supports quads and Ngons, fake bevel node smart textures that can take geometry data into account, vector texture support, ect...
    Don't forget deformation motion blur Ace! :-)
    Have a look at my Latest WIP

Looks like volumetrics doesn't support refractive caustics yet. I wasn't able to accomplish this effect:

Name:  refcaust.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  47.3 KB

Is it still to come or am I doing something wrong?

Another silly volumetric test, using Voronoi texture to simulate cheese.

Volume + DOF.

Shadow looks off though. Hmm..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheese.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	275348
    Visit my website

Originally Posted by Kai Kostack View Post
    Looks like volumetrics doesn't support refractive caustics yet. I wasn't able to accomplish this effect:

Name:  refcaust.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  47.3 KB

Is it still to come or am I doing something wrong?
    I doubt Cycles will ever do that efficiently, barring a different integrator showing up. You thought caustics on a surface were hard for path tracers? That's nothing compared to this.

Originally Posted by J_the_Ninja View Post
    I doubt Cycles will ever do that efficiently, barring a different integrator showing up. You thought caustics on a surface were hard for path tracers? That's nothing compared to this.
    Yes, that's a scenario where techniques like progressive photon beams will give you better results:
    http://zurich.disneyresearch.com/~wj...ogressive.html

I was wondering since Storm's volumetrics had it working but it looks like it's only possible with his Bidirectional integrator implementation. Too bad.

Name:	refcaust2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	275367

Originally Posted by skw View Post
    Yes, that's a scenario where techniques like progressive photon beams will give you better results:
    http://zurich.disneyresearch.com/~wj...ogressive.html
    wow this looks pretty amazing!
    My website - www.mccinfo.it/bernardo.html
    Blender Cycles: Lighting and Rendering Cookbook - http://www.packtpub.com/blender-cycl...-cookbook/book

Does anyone else think that the rate at which the time elapsed and time left fields update is a bit excessive in recent builds?

Because right now it seems to update like four times in one second, why can't it be made to where the updates only occur like once every N seconds and/or when the render window refreshes?
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Need Cycles materials / node setups: Get them here

I actually love it that way. It's not like it's a heavy burden on the system and it just looks cool
    Formerly known as MadMinstrel. | Sculpt tools addon (zip) | Meltdown bake tools addon (zip)

Originally Posted by Piotr Adamowicz View Post
    I actually love it that way. It's not like it's a heavy burden on the system and it just looks cool
    I just think it'd look a little more professional, there's no reason for an application to look like a disco hall when it's doing something if you're trying to attract more types of people than just children and young hobbyists.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Need Cycles materials / node setups: Get them here

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    Does anyone else think that the rate at which the time elapsed and time left fields update is a bit excessive in recent builds?

Because right now it seems to update like four times in one second, why can't it be made to where the updates only occur like once every N seconds and/or when the render window refreshes?
    I like it way better now than before, where it just updated with Tile updates. The readability is given as it is. I would not mind if it would update every second though, as it seems to be a little fast as it is now. (But i would rename "Remaining" to ETA)

While were on it, i find it much more distracting that this Text changes in Size if i zoom the render image (with Trackpad two finger). Not sure if this is osx only... I should probably report it as a Bug?
    bwide.wordpress.com - Free NodePack, 70+ Cycles + Compositor
    Happy Destruction with: Bullet Constraints Tools

Quick question... is there a "reason" for Cycles not rendering Billboard particles? Or is maybe a bug?... I'm kinda needing these type of particles and is now that I realize Cycles doesn't render them.

Is anyone else having trouble with cycles preview render in OSX 10.7 ? Seems to be working fine in 10.8 (friends computer), but my laptop, which won't update past 10.7 is showing some inconsistencies. Works fine in F12 render, but the 3D preview screen in Cycles shader mode just shows the transparent background (checker pattern), never draws anything. Also in Material view, shaded objects just render black, with orange outline if selected. Also, in Material shader, the 'Open GL shader active window' shows a hole with transparent checkers where the default cube is, but renders the camera outlines, etc.

I get this with the stable 2.69 release and current nightly build, and have reset to Factory settings. Is this an open GL issue that is also affecting the Cycles preview?

Originally Posted by wph4 View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble with cycles preview render in OSX 10.7 ? Seems to be working fine in 10.8 (friends computer), but my laptop, which won't update past 10.7 is showing some inconsistencies. Works fine in F12 render, but the 3D preview screen in Cycles shader mode just shows the transparent background (checker pattern), never draws anything. Also in Material view, shaded objects just render black, with orange outline if selected. Also, in Material shader, the 'Open GL shader active window' shows a hole with transparent checkers where the default cube is, but renders the camera outlines, etc.

I get this with the stable 2.69 release and current nightly build, and have reset to Factory settings. Is this an open GL issue that is also affecting the Cycles preview?
    Works fine with me on OSX version 10.7.5 and official 2.69 Blender.

Originally Posted by DingTo View Post
    The code is still in an early stage and as far as I remember the load balancing is not optimal yet, so we have to make some tests and see.

Let's wait until the patch http://developer.blender.org/D36 is merged into master and then see. I think more work is needed, also on the UI side to be able to select the devices/slaves.
    Thanks to your answer.

Apparently the patch D36 is merged into master since december 7 , but I can't see how to use network render for a single render across many computers . Is there a documentation or someone can explain how to activate it and how it works ?

@BoFZeVampire
    As far as I know it's hidden behind #IFDEF, so you would need to enable it first. Anyway I'm looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by BoFZeVampire View Post
    Thanks to your answer.

Apparently the patch D36 is merged into master since december 7 , but I can't see how to use network render for a single render across many computers . Is there a documentation or someone can explain how to activate it and how it works ?
    You need to compile blender with WITH_CYCLES_NETWORK and then the code is unfinished but available. where the GPU/CPU selector is there is now a third option. It will crash when doing viewport render . It might crash at any time and it is really insanely slow for anything other then a single GPU target currently due to locking issues.

I have a lot of things to do before I can go and look at the code more (think months) and currently the time I do spend on blender is spend on trying to improve the build dependencies on the windows platform.

Originally Posted by tuqueque View Post
    Quick question... is there a "reason" for Cycles not rendering Billboard particles? Or is maybe a bug?... I'm kinda needing these type of particles and is now that I realize Cycles doesn't render them.
    Checked this AFAIK it's broken, really hasen't used billboard particles for any project yet. Reported a bug on it. http://developer.blender.org/T37912

A possible workaround could be using simple planes with image/image sequence as texture.

Name:	JLqr00J.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	277935
    Last edited by aermartin; 21-Dec-13 at 13:59.

The biggest use of billboard particles is to have them camera facing. Does anyone have any tricks/workarounds for that?
    Chad Gleason / Vice President / Creative Director
    Outpost 12 Studios
    http://www.outpost12studios.com

Did you try a track to constrain? It worked in 2.49 when I still used it but havent tryed it since then. Basicly the object that gets instanced by the particel system has to have the track to constrain (not the particle system itself or the emiting plane.)
    View my work at The3dStudio.com