Need BMesh testing

Hi all, in my view BMesh is getting close to ready for merging with head. From what I can tell - the remaining critical work is stuff that is on the order of one or two weeks worth of work.

However there might be issues that I’m unware of, with that in mind, if you can do builds, please build a bmesh branch and add any issue you find to this wiki page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo/BMesh

(Note the issues should only be those unique to the bmesh branch, not bugs that are in head also).

If folks can put some bmesh testing builds for various platforms up at graphicall that would be great.

LetterRip

I compile but I don’t know how to compile a branch, like bmesh. Is there just a quick tip, or a document somewhere explaining this?

Thanks, Harley

Hi graphicall has some builds see the link above.

er… thanks Tom, but I read that in your post. What I asked was how to compile a particular branch, like bmesh. Is there a document anywhere with tips and help, or even just the URL of the repository?

Ah just a sec

to compile a branch same as head, but instead do

svn co https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/bmesh

otherwise the build instructions are exactly the same

the latest builds are on graphicall

this reminds me of the office space “did you get the memo” thing.

Hi all, in my view BMesh is getting close to ready for merging with head. From what I can tell - the remaining critical work is stuff that is on the order of one or two weeks worth of work.

So what you are saying is, that Bmesh might be merged to trunk in ~ 2-3 weeks?
What about 2.58? If you merge bmesh, there will be no 2.58.

I have downloaded and tried the last 6-8 BMesh builds and can’t get the knife tool to work in any of them. I have tapped the K key to invoke it - doesn’t seem to do anything. I have tried holding the K key down (a la 2.56-7) and it doesn’t seem to do anything. I have tried what Mike Fox showed to do in his video of it several months ago. Nada. Can anyone reveal the secret to getting it to work?

Didn’t have any issues with knife here.
Windows 64bit, r36398

No problem with knife tool either. It’s very straight forward, just enter edit mode -> press K -> specify where your cuts should be by clicking on the mesh -> Hit enter to finish the cut

However I haven’t to do multi-cut in a while does anyone. Does anyone know if that feature has been disabled?

@ Letter rip do want us to report bugs as well? Here’s a few I found after 5min testing:

• Rip tool (Vkey) does not work correctly with cuts made by knife tool (faces disappear, or in dosen’t work at all)
  • Loop select after a knife cut (could be related to the first on I guess)
  • Bevel (especially with recursion) give unwanted results, it seems to be depended on how big surrounding faces are.
  • Faces flash once when doing extrude
  • Face center dot disappears when doing mesh editing

@LetterRip

Do I understand you correctly this is now the official place to give feedback and bugreports for bmesh?

System
Proc: I7 CPU 920
Mem: 6 gig

Problem:
Date: May 1st 2011
Build: Bmesh-x64 & addons (contrib, extern) on On April 30th, 2011 @ 19:48 by bat3a
Rev: [36398]

Just like MikeJ I cant get the knifetool to work for the life of me. Should I go for a “clean” build without addons? Is there any build you recommend for testing?

Things I tried:
Use mouse instead of wacom - no result
Reset user preference to use rmb (default) for selecting - no result

You said we should not comment on things in Head. But I have to since this is closely tied to Bmesh.

For serious testing (which I really want to do and Im certain many others with me) I need to be able to get my models from the bmesh build to my normal build. This is a requirement for testing. In theory running through all the tools should be enough, in practice it is not and you always use more tools and do stranger things when you are actually making something then when you are testing.

Currently the only way to get your bmesh model into a normal build of blender is by exporting it as 3ds. This does not suffice since 3ds triangulates everything. This makes my subd models unusable (and no im not going to manually tweak it to get it back to its original state). What I need is a working obj exporter which -only- triangulates ngons (polygons with more then four sides) and leaves the rest intact. Call it bmesh obj export or something. (currently there is no obj export -at all- in the bmesh builds)

This is essential for proper testing. Please make this exporter a priority. Please…

3dioot

Delete (X, Delete) doesn’t seem to work properly either. However, it does work by going through the search menu. That goes for the Knife-tool as well.

what would be great is that we could paint vertices on a face and then hit enter. and everything would be connected.

I just tried few things, and I have to say it works very nice, but I haven’t try very much, what I don’t really like is the bevel behaviour, you get very weird results even just selecting one face from a cube when the ‘recursion level’ is set more than 1. It should look like this:

http://static.creativecrash.com/downloadsimages/3941/bevCube_wire_top.jpg

I don’t know if this is exactly what you want here, it’s a bugreport and a suggestion for the knife tool. I also added a non-working function to the wiki page.
Using the Revision 36398 x64 Windows build from Graphicall.

This looks like an unwanted result for the bevel tool?
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3623/bevels.th.png
I was expecting something like in the red line I painted.
The Edge Slide tool gives similar results if used in a corner.

The new knife tool is excellent, but the workflow feels a little clunky, having to press ESC or ENTER to stop using the knife tool is slow for example and it snaps to easily to vertices (could it be configurable in some way, maybe for edges too?), not good if you want to knife cut close to another edge without merging to the nearby vertices.

yes the recursion level is not working .

I too had a problem with the knife tool; I resolved it by loading the factory setting (I was using a customised startup file); there may be a conflict with some add-on, but I didn’t investigate.

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2011-May/035603.html

Knife is not working in Ortho mode.