[AddOn] Re:Phrase+ (particle system layout) 2.57 r36433

Hi All,

Yep, I am still messing around with RE:Phrase.

I thought I would offer up yet another one-trick AddOn for you to play with.

Here is a tutorial that shows how to use it.

RE:Phrase+ takes all the functionality of RE:Phrase and adds on one more feature. You can now specify an object that has a particle system to be used for the layout of words or characters.

So to hell with kerning!
    You can now spew your characters or words all over the place using the standard particle system and fields. The characters or words inherit their location, rotation and scale from the particle system. The characters or words inherit their extrude, bevel and material from the parent RE:Phrase+ text object.

HERE --> 2.5 BLEND FILE
    Get 2.6 update down below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Atom; 18-Nov-11 at 07:19.
    OSX Mac Mini i7 @ 2.6ghz 16Gb Ram (no GPU)
    Windows 7 8Gb, GeForce GTX 660 2Gb Ram AMD Hexcore @ 2.7Ghz.
    Atom's Links Page

i'm going to read this script over and over until i get it.

Thats soooo clever. Cool work. Thankyou very much.
    Cheers, David ___________"awesome in space and other places".
    ________Follow me on twitter @3pointedit
    _____________ Check the blog Blender's VSE or Youtube Channel for tutorials.

seems like that target/names stuff could do with a button to read the re:phrase text object fields in automagically. great video, Thank you!
    Last edited by zeffii; 23-May-11 at 18:04.

Im suprise this addon available in blender...2 months before i was working some video that need
    this addon..really hard to make that in keyframe..but finally i finished it..
    this my video http://vimeo.com/21679711
    can we offset object(not text) time with this addon??

To be clear does rephrase change the text from a Blender text object to a special rephrase object? Does that mean i have to alter the text to the way I want it before converting it to a rephrase object?
    Cheers, David ___________"awesome in space and other places".
    ________Follow me on twitter @3pointedit
    _____________ Check the blog Blender's VSE or Youtube Channel for tutorials.

@Ecceptor: Yes, any object can be offset. To offset objects in time, use RE:Lay. RE:Phrase only creates and manages the text object.

@3pointedit:
    To be clear does rephrase change the text from a Blender text object to a special rephrase object?
    Yes it does. The RE:Phrase object is a font object with no copy/text of its own. The frame change portion of RE:Phrase examines the list item and creates characters or words as children that reside underneath itself. If the phrase changes, new children are created and re-linked on-the-fly.

Does that mean i have to alter the text to the way I want it before converting it to a rephrase object?
    No, there is no conversion implied. All you can do is add a RE:Phrase object (or multiple objects) to the scene. You will have to transfer the "copy" from your traditional font objects into the list managed by RE:Phrase.

Only certain parameters from the RE:Phrase host object are relayed to each character or word. These are extrude, bevel, font size, spacing and material. So not all properties are fully mapped from the host to the children. For instance, the LOC,ROT and SCALE are fetched from the particle system instead of the layout routines, if a valid emitter is specified.
    Last edited by Atom; 25-May-11 at 06:59.
    Atom's Links Page

Thanks for video Atom, now I think I get it! :)

question - can we bake that animation to keyframe ??

I try make some change to text (Change Extrude value)..and it not work..
    Really dont know what happen..
    but finally i figure it out..
    We must play the scene(Alt+A) to see changes in text..
    Anyway thanks Atom!!!

question - can we bake that animation to keyframe ??
    Baking is on my ToDo list.

Only objects with f-curves can have vector blur, I think...
    Last edited by Atom; 29-May-11 at 21:36.
    Atom's Links Page

How to change the font..?
    Extrude and Bevel are work..but I cant change the font..
    http://www.pasteall.org/blend/6684
    Last edited by Ecceptor; 26-May-11 at 10:07.

Amazing

Hello Atom

I just saw your work on blendernation, this is definitely something I am going to play with...until now, I just played around with bge to do some Text effects.
    Thank you!

Great Add-on! But... Problems with german umlauts ()

Hello Atom,
    thanks for this exciting add-on! Great Work!

I do however experience problems if my phrase (re_phrase_#1) contains german umlauts.

After inserting german umlauts in re_phrase_#1, the add-on stops working... Clicking on "Resample my Animation" doesn't update the animation. It works great if i don't use umlauts...

I am running the official 2.57b 32bit/win from blender.org

Can anyone help?
    Please see attached blend.
    rephrase_umlaut.blend

Thanks for reporting that. But the problem lies in the Blender font object itself. Try putting umlauts in a standard font object and you will observe the same result. There is just no way to do foreign characters. All solutions I have seen to date involve converting the foreign character to a curve. So it is still possible to use RE:Lay to deploy an umlauts curve objects. Until the Blender DEVs come up with a solution for foreign characters, I think we are all stuck.
    Last edited by Atom; 15-Jun-11 at 07:10.
    Atom's Links Page

Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply.

After some research i can confirm that there is currently no way to work with umlauts in text-objects within the API. This link even talks about this problem as "The biggest Blender bug of all times": http://blenderartists.org/forum/arch.../t-204602.html

That's a shame, because i'd have to split my phrases to chars manually. And i was planning to use looong phrases...

But still, Atom, keep up the great work! I learn a lot from you. Thank you again!

when I try to use this in the latest trunk build (2.60.4) the area when you go to change the phrase isn't showing up properly. It shows the RE:Phrase+ section but nothing else. Is it broke in the trunk or am I doing something wrong? I have re_phrase_#1 selected in the outliner. Here is a screenshot.

Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 11.21.31 PM.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that too. The developers changed the API again and did not even consult with me. (Can you imagine that?)

Here is an updated file. With the template_list adjusted to the new 2.6 API parameter count. This file still uses the driver technique for frame changes, not handlers, but this fix will restore the missing panel bubs!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Atom; 30-Nov-11 at 07:02.
    Atom's Links Page

Thank you for the update.

on a side note, I thought that once 2.6 came around they were supposed to have the API locked down. wasn't that why 2.5 series was considered "beta"? I'm not a coder, although I would like to start learning some, but that is the impression I got from reading the blender news