Blenderella

I have had my Blenderella DVD for a couple weeks and thought it was time to show what I have got from it. Angela Guenetta does a great job of showing technique so it could be applied to any model you wanted to make. I used a face I liked better (Aishwarya Rai) and added a tiny bit of stomach detail. I also stylized the body shape just a bit. Other than that, I used the supplied images and methods as shown. I hope others will show what they have got from these DVD’s also.
Critiques are always welcome so I can improve.

it looks very good :slight_smile: i bought the dvd also but i found it a bit too advanced for me at the moment so it just seemed to drag through a bit and not really explain why anything was done. The model she creates is excellent but i think it was more like a time lapse than a training workshop.

are you planning on texturing your blenderella?

Thanks. I don’t care for the hair a lot. It’s my first try at polygon hair. I do hope to texture and rig her for a still. I’m thinking of her as a fantasy scout/ranger and a trollish creature companion. Not a fully developed idea yet.

I understand your feeling of a time laps. A great deal of it is silent while she works. What I did may help you, I don’t know.
I watched the entire DVD all the way thru once when I first got it. I didn’t even open Blender. That gave me a good feel of her process and when she addressed each topic as well as what she did not cover. Then I stepped thru with the video playing on one screen and blender on the other. I did lots of stop, start, backup, slow it down, and play it again to catch the detail of what she was doing. The VLC player lets you slow the video down and still hear the audio. I also pulled up the Sintel model she did and compared the topology of both models. They are different but similar. My goal was not to make Blenderella as much as it was to learn good technique and edge flow.

The whole Sintel team is amazing.
After seeing Blenderella I ordered the Sintel DVD set to see Angela’s other tutorials on there.
I am also hoping someone can convince Nathan (Cessen) to do a video tutorial series on rigging. He is over the top amazing at it and the topic is not well covered.

thats what i am aiming for also to be honest, i dont want to replicate her model but learn techniques from her. i will have to give that a go to see if it helps my concentration much lol. the hair looks good, the finished article looks impressive :slight_smile:

Thanks Fax. The two tutorials by Nathan have been purchased.

Thought I would post an update of her pants.
No textures yet.
I finally got the ligature knot for her pants tied.
The curve was pretty easy.
Getting the cord to be a full round was not!
Finally in desperation I clicked the “White Matte” under RotoBezier which collapsed it to a plane. When I hit Control Z it put it back to 3D but it was suddenly a full round cord. Almost seems like a bug but this was my first time using the curves so I’m reluctant to say it’s not me.:stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, here are a couple images with seams similar to Sintel’s and Blenderella’s.

looking very tidy dude :slight_smile: keep up the good work!

great work! keep it up!

Thought it was time to post what been happening to Blenderella.
She has more clothes now. Still just basic with out a lot of detail.
I added her boots which I did detail quite a bit.
I plan to layer more over the basic top and pants.
I showed my wife and she wants to buy the boots. Not the response I was looking for.:eek:
Let me know what you think.
Critiques are always welcome.

Attachments

Here’s an update.
I added a corset belt and tried a new color for the top.
I’m thinking of giving her a tailed jacket similar to this one.
What do you think?
She’s kinda’ looking steampunk to me.
She’ll probably need a different hair style if it keeps going that way.
This is just mostly a learning exercise started from the Blenderella DVD so please help me get better.
Opinions are always welcome.

Attachments

Greate work !

Here is a quick shot of the start of the coat.
Needs a collar and hood plus lots of detail.
I started with a shrinkwrap modifier, applied it, and went from there.
I’m also using a solidify modifier for thickness.

Didn’t like the hair in a ponytail so much so I tried a different style.
It needs material added instead of just coloring.

I added the hood and sleeves to the coat.
Still needs lots of detail.
Just can’t decide if it’s the right look.
Anyone have an opinion?

My honest opinion is that the best look for the character will be defined by her purpose. What does she do? Fight up close in battle, cast spells? That will help you determine a better outfit and then from there you can work. I honestly don’t see the coat working out though.

The new hair that you put on the model though has definitely brought a little more life to the model. The hair seems to flip more rather than the obvious polygons as seen before. Keep up the good work mate.

Thanks Kain Aldar.
You are right, I need to decide who she is and what she does.
I had an idea of a ranger and companion beast but that seems so over done that I was hoping to get a new idea.
Started thinking a little more steampunkish but that’s not quite right either.
I want her to be attractive but not another half naked warrior.

I guess you have pointed out what I need to work on before I try to do more modeling.

Thanks again,

looks like its coming on well :slight_smile: always draw some quick concept drawings to help you rough out ideas of what she should be wearing etc :slight_smile:

with scout/ranger types their main advantage in most games is stealth and range so you also have to think of how the weapon might efftect the clothing, e.g. a wrist guard/quiver for an archer, or any other changes that might need to be made for a completely new weapon designed by youself. for the stealth will she be agile and acrobatic to fit into unsuspecting hiding places? in which case tighter clothes would be needed, or will she take a more camoflauged approach with baggy or loose fitting clothes to distort her shape. just a couple ideas to give you something to mull over : ) Great work by the way, very nice indeed

I think that you will be able to decide the right look when you will know what a woman wants to wear. :eyebrowlift:
A women dresses herself 10 % to be seen by a man and 90 % to be seen by other other women, most of the women’s fashion is vanity :evilgrin: , but we (men) see only that little bit of sex-appeal.
Being together with a woman when she goes shopping clothes, could be a verrry interesting experience.:wink:

I do shop with my wife who is into fashion. In fact she is interviewing at a clothing store as I write this. She has quoted almost exactly the same quote many times.

Thanks everyone for all the direction and help. I think I have decided on the theme of the still I want to do. It is a little different than original but I like the idea better. I want to do a movie poster type still. think Indiana Jones sequel where his daughter is now taking on the treasure hunting. It has helped decide what she should wear and have for accessories. Here is a bit more of her.

It’s time for an update.
I have added particle hair. I could not get polygon hair to look right.
I added SSS but still need to tweak it and add the skin texture maps.
I think she is coming along OK.

A problem I would appreciate help with is the boots and top. They look like they have some texture but there is none. I do not know what I did to cause this but I need to get rid of it.
Any ideas what I did?

Attachments