Rat'n'Band game created with Blender

Dear Blender community!

A few days ago we completed our project Rat’n’Band for platforms iOS (iPhone, iPodTouch, iPad) and OS X (MAC). The most exciting thing is that we created it with the fantastic program Blender. :cool:
For the development of our game we have used version 2.49b and 2.56-8a. All maps and animations were created in Blender. If it were not for this awesome tool, we would be doomed. Blender can be easily used with properly adjusted cameras as conventional 2D sprite editor. A 1024x1024 texture has been used for each map. Tileset has been created by using the Grid object, which can be easily mapped and where UV coordinates are very accurate. In order to avoid complex programming of the parallax scrolling, we placed layers of different grids perpendicularly to the perspective camera and achieved the same effect.

I can humbly say that Blender is the best choice for the creation of games. I attach a few pictures from the development of our Rat’n’Band using Blender( next posts ).

For more information about the game, click here: Rat’n’Band website

Rat’n’Band game on iTunes
Rat’n’Badn game version for OS X

Martin Hornak
Creative Director
Vestram Software

Jeremy The Rat

This game is very well done congratulations about it, what engine you guys used for the game?

Sketching and modelling of levels in Rat’n’Band
Greace Pencil Tool is great. With this tool it is possible to sketch an entire level, to design a logic puzzle and … It is a great tool that I have been constantly using during the creation of our game.

Sketching a level beforehand makes saving of tiles easier and safes your time when editing the level.

For texture for the model of our character I only used Blender. I employed Projecting Painting, which functions beautifully. No external program has been used for painting.

For the creation of the main tileset object grid has been used. The size of tiles is 32x32 pixels. UV mapping in Blender is very precise and have automatic UV unwrap what is very easy and fast to use. Afterwards, tiles are extracted and copied to build a level.

Animation in Blender is a piece of cake. It is very intuitive but mainly reliable.

It is a great help for developer in 3D editors to be able to see what the game would roughly look like in the engine. A great advantage of Blender is its Logical editor. Here it is possible to set the camera moves on the cursor arrows and to run a preview. It is a great control tool before the game is exported into the engine.

Im really amazed with the game, indeed its very well done, but I m still in doubt about what game engine did you used, you used unity, UDK, etc… or you used the BGE?

I really like your rat character. I think I like the 3D one even better than the promo illustration.

Impressive job! Although there is no way you used the BGE in this. Great work using blender as the editor though, very clean and well done!

1st Round on the AppMadness :

http://appmadness.net/?p=526

Looks great, and thanks for sharing your process!
The link to your official site is not working tho

( Link was corrected. )

Great work guys! your game seem really good.

Great work guys!

really impresive work man :).

How long have you worked in this game?

How many works in yuour proyect too?

I’ts looking awesome. Please make an android version!

Absolutely good news for demonstrate blender´s ability to make good games

We worked on this game 2-3 months.