Blender or 3d Max for the gaming industry

Hello,

I want to start working in the modelling/gaming industry as an 3d artist or environment/ level designer.

I started using blender a couple of years ago and stopped using it due to other lifestyle. In June this year I rediscovered my passion to 3d and decided that this time I am going to take it to another level.

I want to dedicate myself as much as possible to progress and hopefully in one year be able to start working as freelance 3d-artist.

Somewhere I’ve read that either cinema4d or 3d studio max are mainly used in the gaming industry. I really like blender and it would be a pain in the ass to learn all that basic stuff from the beginning for these programms.

Maybe it is not the smartest idea to ask in a blender forum, but does one have a chance to make money using blender in the professional industry? For sure there will be one or two exceptions which are really much better than everyone else…
But is blender accepted by professional studios? (For example: you make the models in blender and just save them as obj so they could work with them…)

On the other hand I don’t want to waste time progressing in blender if there is no demand for blender artists…

Furthermore, lately I was thinking a lot about attending a 3d arts course, but in forums a lot of opinions clearly showed that it is mostly a waste of money. It would be cool, if you could post your opinion to that, too…

Hope you can help me out!

Greetings André

it is possible to make money with blender

Blender + Unity3D work very fine and are free.

There’s pretty much zero demand for blender artists in the games industry and freelance is a rarity.

Most studio games work is done in max or maya so you’ll need to know one or both of those pretty well.
If you can work fast in blender then you may be able to use blender, but usually there’s a lot of metadata that gets added to models (especially environments)

That means that iteration in blender will be lossy and difficult.
Most game art is created in a very iterative way.

If you work in a small indy studio you may be ok with blender, but when games is big business then don’t mention it.

I’ve used blender freelance on game projects, but have only been able to do so because I can script and create my own pipelines to tunnel data back and forth to Maya. Even then some tds don’t like it because they lose control of part of the pipeline.

In case you are curious I freelance a lot for EA and Sony. Blender is used by me through stubbornness and is always more work than just using the in house pipeline.

And, you don’t have to use Blender. Correct me if I am wrong, but you are also fluent in Maya and LW (and maybe Max?)

I think for someone starting out, who actually wants to get gainfully employed, they’d be far better off learning MAX or MAYA. (Which, I know is not disagreeing with your point… merely emphasizing it…) To me, it’s a no-brainer. If you want to be a professional, learn to use what the professionals use.

And, when you look at all of the job openings across all of the studios… the decision becomes quite clear.

In other words… despite what AD’s marketing says: You should try to blend in, not stand out…

I went the wrong way somehow, and went for freeware and free software… They all want you use Max or Maya. In my area, it was Max. I had to learn it, at least to a point of being useful with it for the teams. In my experience though, modeling in whatever you prefer, just the polygons, is not big issue, but… My best advice is go with one of the latest Max and/or Maya all the way,(so, another +1) for gaming industry. Ideally have deep knowledge of one first, then go and convert that knowledge to the other package. Is really easier once you have mastered ONE of them… It seems Maya is used a lot in animation, and loved by studios for its scripting and workflow posibilities. But Max is very solid in games too, and 2012 version is good. In the end, is a hard task, so, I’d say see the trials, give them a very good try of weeks of work each. If you have experience with Blender, you at least know the deal in 3D, and can transfer the base of it to other package. It’s always quite some work, but you get it, progresively.

For freelancing, well, here I might agree less. Maybe Michael is talking of a bigger type of deal, working with Sony and EA. I have done freelancing but only for some bucks, and usualy casuals, sharewares, indies, ppl deving for iphone, new generation mobiles in general, XNA, etc. This kind of thing, if take the time to dig for the needed workflow + formats + tools, well, this allow me to use the softwares I prefer for each stage. A kind of gig like M.W say, would be silly to do so, as he says, games this years use a lot of shaders, special maps, a lot of interaction, plugins, complex studio owrkflows… Giving them a max or maya file is the only sensible way, and there can still be issues. But imo, that’s a kind of gig, it depends on if you expect to be able to hunt those gigs, or if you are going to go for any kind of 2d/3d project, be it games or not, or be it high end game stuff, or smaller things.

For the games career thing, it’s a fact, go with one of those 2.

PD: Where I don’t regret it is for the modeling part. And am not alone, several great pros(not saying am a great pro, lol ) do use Silo, Modo or other for modeling, but just like me they do need then to provide then an absolutely perfect integration with the team work, or your nice fav app has 2 seconds remaining at your work comp. They (several places) did always allow me use my whatever polygon pusher for nice speed modeling(maybe I have not worked with ‘uber fast’ guys at modeling, dunno), and because were not EA or Valve, but small studios,(but paid my bills for years…) even if with nice/medium projects in their production. Anyway, is a hard path, I don’t recommend it. A lot of fights with bosses, an added pressure (as if weren’t enough, game industry is quite hard) as one can’t fail like your mates are allowed to (I mean, sort of more than you) : they’re using “the right tool”, or that is what is stablished. Much easier just to master fully Max and/or Maya, imo. As in the end, you have to get really deep knowledge of those, anyway…

Last note: Having a job as stress-full and demanding as games rarely leaves enough time and energies for additional freelancing . So, that case is Max/Maya and that’s all. Having (in my very , very personal opinion) a job of other type which allows you to have a better life (current situation) does leave you with a better option to make “some” little work as freelance or indy, and there, you’re not forced to anything, so might prefer to cook the thing at your will, in my case that is Wings, Blender, etc.

Here’s what I’d suggest (not being in those industries …) …

First you have to learn what to do with “a tool.” Then you have to learn the specifics of particular tools that you are going to be expected to use for this-or-that employer (whoever that may turn out to be).

Blender is an excellent way to get your hands “much more than dirty” about a great many high-level 3D concepts and procedures. (It may well be a tool that you will find yourself expected to know “very well” in a future professional situation… you just never know about these things, especially today!)

Think about it: if Blender has been used to produce not just one but several short-films start to finish, and has proven itself capable of the task, then Blender must be “on your radar” along with who-knows how-many present and/or future tools.

Once you feel that you have “marketable skills,” then you really just have to get used to the idea that you might have to learn about a great many different tools (and that you might not have too much time in which to do so). Anywhere in the computer biz, you have to master “the duck principle.” (“Look calm and collected on the surface, and let anything at all roll right off your back; meanwhile, underneath, paddle like hell.” :slight_smile: )