User testing needed : New compositor nodes patch [Vibrance, HCL, Pixelize, ...]

Hi,
I made a patch that adds a few compositor nodes, and I’d like to know your opinion or suggestions :slight_smile:

Vibrance:
Increases the saturation but prevents clipping and oversaturation.
Video: http://frederic.vanderessen.com/videos/node-vibrance.ogv

Hue Chroma Luminance:
Adds a Hue Chroma Luminance control,separation,combination nodes.
The HCL Colorspace is similar in spirit to the HSV, but is based on the
Lab Colorspace, and gives more natural results.
Video: http://frederic.vanderessen.com/videos/node-hcl.ogv

Gain:
Increases or decreases the dynamic range of the picture.

Pixelize:
Pixelizes the picture. The size of the blocks and the method used to
pick the
blocks colors can be changed.
Video: http://frederic.vanderessen.com/videos/node-pixelize.ogv

Posterize:
Reduces the number of colors in the picture. Similar to Gimp’s posterize
filter.

ToonAA:
Anti-Aliasing filter for pictures with a small number of colors. Based
on the EPX pixel art upscaling algorithm.

The patch is in the tracker : http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=28386&group_id=9&atid=127

And you can find a Debian Testing 32bit build here : http://frederic.vanderessen.com/blender_builds/blender-nodes.tar.gz
Edit : New build and patch available :
http://frederic.vanderessen.com/blender_builds/blender-nodes2.tar.gz
Edit: Windows Build available :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8767830/blenderLatest.zip

These look pretty nice.

I can’t test 32-bit builds (Ubuntu 64), but I can see how these would be useful!

Could you place these videos into youtube or vimeo please?

Looks great, man :slight_smile:

I downloaded the patch and I’m now fetching the latest source from trunk. Will post my experience later.

I tried but it screwed up the audio-sync. I’ll make better recordings and try again.

I was wondering can you hook up a b/w image to the fac, and have different amount of pixelation … like masking the effect? just pixelizing one object etc.

Yes it is possible*. You would probably want to use a pixelize effect on the BW image so that the masking is pixelized too.

*in the current version of this patch you need to do it with a ‘mix’ node, because the ‘fac’ is a global parameter like in the filter node. This is a bug that I’m solving right now. I’ll post a new version of the patch once it is done.

that’s awesome! I can’t wait until this gets into trunk or someone makes a mac build.

Ok, the bug should be solved. You don’t have to use a mix node anymore :slight_smile:
I posted a new build and patch on the original post.

Cool efbie!
Nice nodes…

The OP needs testers, not people who can only say that’s nice, that’s cool, good job and all that crap. Put simply, stay out of this thread if you’re too lazy to test.

;-(

Jskurias, where do you know, that im not testing this patch?
Why should it be prohibited to say thank you for somebody, who made some nice additions for the compositor.
And where do you get the brashness to insult people for it?

People test, find nothing wrong, say it’s fine.
If nothing is posted on this thread, it will die.

Bytheway im trying to build for osx now :slight_smile:

dude your whining doesn’t help at all,

@tungee sweet post on graphicall , i’ve just started to compile with cmake and think out of source builds are awesome, probably gonna try building more branches etc.

@efbie I’ve done a small node patch some months ago that made it into trunk. ever since then I’ve been thinking about doing pixelate nodes (for retro feel) and a bunch more.

and all should be able to take a b/w image as fac, so you can even have different amount of pixelation. lets say white = 1.0 and a 8x8 pixel, .5 .5 .5 gray = 4x4 pixel and a black is a 1x1 etc.

so you can have different pixelation and when animating it could be cool.

could probably be done with your patch and a node group with a bunch of pixelated masks.

there’s an Ubuntu 64 bit build somewhere? i want to test it! :smiley:
Thanks!

Tryed to implement …
Vista, mingw, cmake
Seem to be ok but got finally these messages:

[100%] Built target extern_lzma
[100%] Generating C:/BlenderSVN/blender/source/creator/buildinfo.h
– Found Subversion: C:/Program Files/SlikSvn/bin/svn.exe (found version “1.6.17”)
[100%] Built target buildinfo
Scanning dependencies of target blender
[100%] Building C object source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/buildinfo.c.obj
Linking CXX executable …\bin\blender.exe
Creating library file: …\bin\libblender.dll.a
Warning: .drectve /DEFAULTLIB:"LIBCMT" /DEFAULTLIB:"OLDNAMES" ' unrecognized Warning: .drectve/DEFAULTLIB:“LIBCMT” /DEFAULTLIB:“OLDNAMES” ’ unrecognized
Warning: .drectve /DEFAULTLIB:"LIBCMT" /DEFAULTLIB:"OLDNAMES" ' unrecognized Warning: .drectve/DEFAULTLIB:“LIBCMT” /DEFAULTLIB:“OLDNAMES” ’ unrecognized
…\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a(node.c.obj):node.c:(.text+0x5486): undefined reference to register_node_type_cmp_gain' ..\..\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a(node.c.obj):node.c:(.text+0x55ee): undefined reference toregister_node_type_cmp_sephcla’
…\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a(node.c.obj):node.c:(.text+0x55fa): undefined reference to `register_node_type_cmp_combhcla’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
mingw32-make[2]: *** [bin/blender.exe] Error 1
mingw32-make[1]: *** [source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

node.c contains:
register_node_type_cmp_gain(ntypelist);
and the other two lines needed too

So what have I to do now to solve this problem (for me) … ( being more or a sorcerers apprentice :wink: )

EDIT

C:\BlenderSVN\blender\source>grep -lr “register_node_type_cmp_gain” .
./blender/blenkernel/intern/node.c
./blender/blenkernel/intern/node.c.~2~
./blender/nodes/CMP_node.h
./blender/nodes/CMP_node.h.~2~

OOps, I forgot to add some files in the patch :S
There is a new patch in the tracker, it should work fine now.

trying now (two files, 3 errors?) … :wink:

one error less
[100%] Building C object source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/buildinfo.c.obj
Linking CXX executable …\bin\blender.exe
Creating library file: …\bin\libblender.dll.a
…\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a(node.c.obj):node.c:(.text+0x55ee): undefined reference to register_node_type_cmp_sephcla' ..\..\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a(node.c.obj):node.c:(.text+0x55fa): undefined reference toregister_node_type_cmp_combhcla’

IMHO:
typing error probably combHCLA against combhcla???
Missing file CMP_sphcla ??? probably?!

EDIT
Maybe some newbie error of mine (but where?)

EDITx2
merging by hand error :wink: … trying again

register_…sephcla and register…_combhcla are both located in CMP_sepcombHCLA.c

I found what could be a problem with CMake (not sure, never used it…) New patch in the tracker !

Edit: I’ll be on IRC this afternoon, poke me there !