HELP - How to fillet/round an edge?

Greetings everybody

I’m a new blender user, and right now i’m doing some basic modeling to test what seems to be a great program :smiley: .

I’m modeling an hair dryer with an handle that goes oblique through the body.

I modeled two mesh cylinders (one for the body and another for the handle). Now, I wanted to make a fillet or round the edge in the crossing point, but I don’t know how.

Can anybody give an hint on this?

Thanks

You can join the objects (Control J).
Then on Edit mode, select vertices (4 at a time) and hit F to make new faces.

I would have modelled it beginning with a low rez cylinder for the snout and extruding faces to get the handle and body. Modelling for subdivision surfaces is the way to go if you want shapes that flow into each other. It’s a more advanced technique but it’s not very hard.

Hello once again.

While you posted your answers, I actually managed to round the edges in a rather unusual way. The result is not perfect but I still got it anyway.

What I did was:

• With two perpendicular cylinders, I made an intersect boolean operation;
  • Then I deleted the duplicates but left the intersections and deleted all the vertices from this, except the ones that intersected the the cylinder that represents the main body
  • I then connected all this vertices with edges and extruded the shape and scaled and extruded…

Pretty complicated, uh? :expressionless: Anyway what I thought first was, like AlphaMeta says, to make a cylinder amd extrude the perpendicular one from the side of the main cylinder. Does that really works? I couldn’t figure a way on how to do it.

I’m also going to try arangel’s technique.

Anyway, thanks for the help

Well, in my opinion (unless by miracle, you managed to get a descent result with booleans…), arangel’s way should work much better…

Ofcourse you can always extrude the perpendicular part from the side of the main cylinder (yes that should work o.k. as well…)…

maybe apply a little tech drawing,
create tube… say 32vert … and another at right angles 32vert.
drag second tubes verts to intersect with edges of the first, then do the same with the original, for different sizes eg 32 and a smaller tube, count the edges and create the second tube with say 12 verts as per pic.
the using the excellent “k” key …face loop cut each tube and drag new loops towards intersection.
http://myeye.homestead.com/files/tubes2.jpeg

It really works for me. I don’t think I’ve done anything but extrusion modelling since subD was invented.

Hello

AlphaMeta, I can’t really see how is it possible to extrude a cylinder from another’s face. Since a cylinder’s section is round, how do you pull one from a rounded face with only longitudinal edges?

Then I need to have the intersection edge rounded or a very smooth transition between the cylinders.

For example, in 3d studio max (with nurbs) or solidworks, you just have to select the edge you want to round, set a radius and it gets perfectly done.

I know blender still is a bit behind in development but there must be some way to do this :wink: .

Adios

Don’t make the mistake and compare two programs with totaly different philosophies… I don’t want to say that Blender is better than 3DS Max or something, I just want to say that what you want to do in this specific situation can be done in Blender, in a different way (and perhaps a little bit more complicated…) than Max…

Anyway it is possible:

This is a faucet model I made for the “Muffin Project” a while ago… It is “roughly” similar to what you want to do…

I made some part of it, by extruding some faces from a cylinder, then pressed in edit mode W–>Subdivide 3-4 times, to get enough number of vertices in the extruded part… After that and always in edit mode I pressed W–>Smooth several times, to get a more rounded shape…

BTW. no SubSurf’s here…

I still think that arangel’s proposal would work much better…

You could also use Nurbs surfaces and skin them, to get two separate “rounded” parts, convert them to Meshes and then connect them together, always the way arangel describes… This way you could end up with better “shapes”, I suppose…

Allthough SubSurf’s some times produce some nice results really fast, I think that with Curves in general, you can have finer control over the shape you want to produce (I don’t know maybe I’m wrong…)… I use Sub’s only as a last resort…

I hope it helps…

Timonides, maybe I’m dumb or you are wrong, cause I still can’t see the solution.

Note that all the extrusions made from your tap model’s cylinders, have an rectangular profile. I know you can do that by making enough subdivisions, but how about extruding shapes with a circular profile from the cylinder? And then have the edges rounded? I think the problem is this: rounded intersection edges. That still beats me on how to do it.

Arangel’s method though, is something that I still haven’t understood quite well…

Thanks for the help!

Nope you’re not dumb and at the same time I’m neither wrong…

That shape was modeled on purpose… The extrusions had a rectangular profile, because that was the shape the tap had more or less, on the refernce pictures I was given in that project… The “Smoothing” affects only the selected vertices… In my case it was performed with the side vertices of the extrusion unselected in order to make sure that I’ll have this result…

You can achieve a rounded shape, but it requires some work because you’ll have to have enough number of vertices on all sides and press the W–.Smooth function, several times…

I recommend arangel’s way though…

Arangel’s method though, is something that I still haven’t understood quite well…

Thanks for the help!

But it is simple… This is a common way to connect two separate Meshes… First Join them to one Mesh and afterwards building faces between them… You can “build” new faces between the two separate parts-cylinders, by selecting every time 4 neigboring vertices and hiting “F”…

I can’t think why you find it difficult to understand it…

Look I don’t have much time right now, but maybe later I’ll come back and post an example pic to make it a bit clearer to you…

Thanks for your help and time Timonides :smiley:

from 2 mesh circles, 32vert and 6 vert.
1 minute, 2 tubes of different sizes, tight corners.
http://myeye.homestead.com/files/Image1.jpg

I couldn’t understand that. I lost you when you said, “then do the same with ‘the original.’” (What “original?”) Then you zipped along in two half-sentences and I didn’t have a clue what you were trying to say. (How can one “create the second tube” when the second tube already exists? etc…) If you’re not familiar with “the excellent ‘K’ key …”

Again, por favor?

Also… it seems to me that a fillet-script would be possible.

yeah sorry about that, was half asleep, after playing around I think I may have a better aproach, I’ll just wip up some pics to illustrate.

You’d have to add in a couple vertices to your profile before extruding it.

wow is that nurbs, bezier, or mesh?

Mesh. small flat spot along big tube, I removed 1 vert … 32–>31 to join to 6 sided circle, I could have left it in but that would have required an extra row of verts, the smaller circle you only need half and then mirror, so you only have 4 verts on small circle to move in towards big tube,

It’s all basic tech drawing, solid geometry 2 cylinders intersecting at right angles, do it just as you would on a drawing board with a pencil.
things that make it easy: k-loop-cut, alt-m, e-mmb, m-mirror-local
I’ll make a .blend,

Yeah, a fillet script would be great… Too bad I don’t know how to use Python or program at all.

But Zenitor, your model looks exactly like what I need. Could you explain more thoroughly how to do that?

Looking foward to get a hold of that techinique, too, Zenitor.
Cool thread guys!