Crying over the Onion (Branch)

Admittedly the title of this thread is facetious - but I did want to start a dialog because I know a lot of people are really anxious to see all of the awesomeness inherent in the Onion branch available in a state that is useable.

It has been mentioned in the new Blender 2.6 development thread too, that it maybe appropriate to help fund Jason Wilkins with the new monthly subscription system. Jason (I think) is a student - and the funding would probably open up more time for him to be available to make the changes that need to be made.

The changes that Jason was making sound like they would’ve improved the sculpting AND texturing inside Blender by an incredible amount. I can honestly state that I was more excited about Jason’s work than any other GSOC this year (not to say there weren’t other cool GSOC’s - there was no shortage of awesome stuff produced this summer.)

What I’m worried about now is that Jason will get busy with school and not really be able to work on this (for understandable reason) until next years GSOC (assuming he is interested in doing it again)

What are other people’s thoughts?

http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/thumb/b/b3/Onsurface.png/600px-Onsurface.png

every one cries when chopping onions. but the branch is not up for review according to code.blender.org
that’s strange, not accepted either. is it in limbo?

I’ve seen roberto roch using the sculpting builds in his videos. I was under the impression that branch was progressing fine and would make it to 2.60 and if not so to 2.61

When “pencils down” came there were many regressions and Jason’s onion work was mostly broken.

in his own words:

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/soc-2011-dev/2011-August/000356.html

What I didn’t do this Summer: The re-factor became more ambitious then I had original planned and merging of Nicholas Bishop’s work was more time consuming then I thought it would be. As a result many new features I had planned got side-lined. Besides that I have only managed to rough in the re-factoring which has created numerous regressions and missing features. My assessment is that in order for this Summer of Code to be successful I will have to continue working voluntarily the next couple of months to test and fix the work that I have done in order for it to be stable enough to integrate into trunk later this year.

It is really a pity that last year Jason’s work was merged to trunk too early in 2.53.

There is no show brush on surface option available in trunk, now and this usefull feature for using radial symmetry was created, one year ago.

I think some other improvements available in salad (gravity, layer) could reasonnably be 2.60 targets.

If Jason is occupied maybe LeterRip or Nicholas Bishop could make a small patch with Show Brush on Surface for review.

I’m willing to donate if he needs $ to be able to spend more time on it. but I guess time is the issue when you’re a student. :confused:

assign someone else to work on it.

What a stupid thing to say! sheesh!

it’s not like coders are sitting around with nothing todo, Jason has a thorough knowledge of the code, a plan and has said he’ll see the job through in the next couple of months to try and get to trunk before the end of the year…

I’ll give you a shorter quote because you din’t get it from a couple of posts earlier:

I will have to continue working voluntarily the next couple of months to test and fix the work that I have done in order for it to be stable enough to integrate into trunk later this year.
In the world of open source this is no time at all… you wouldn’t even find a replacement in that time, let alone get them familiar enough with the code…

DON’T PANIC!!!

+Over nine thousand!

I’m sad that some of the things already done wont make it in yet,
but I’m quite happy with Jason bringing us even more goodies,
2-4 months is no time at all. :slight_smile:

give him an understudy, having only one person that understands the code isnt the smartest thing int he world…
what if god forbid he has a medical issue or an accident? there goes everything…

lol…

There’s his mentor(letterip) and Nick bishop who originally wrote a bunch of the stuff he’s re-factoring and consolidating…

How about just giving the guy a break and let him get on with it?

For those of you who don’t check out BF Committers (the mailing list for the devs) someone recently wrote about changes they’d like to see - you can read the message here the ideas all sound great but this further makes me worry about the state of the Onion branch. Jason Wilkins hasn’t really been heard from since GSOC ended over a month ago… I have a feeling he will be interested in picking it up for next year’s GSOC but that is still a few months away - and ‘code rot’ will accelerate if someone else is adding new features to the existing trunk - since the Onion branch had a massive refactor (as visible by all the bugs)

I’m just curious whats going to happen because it’s not looking that great for the Onion branch right now…

Yep, there has been a bit of coding lag in some areas lately, I’m guessing because many coders are students. Stupid schooling gets in the way of progress!

This particular branch is so frustrating because it looks SOOO promising! It has gone through 2 GSOC periods and still looks like it will be a very long time before it ever shows up in trunk, if at all.

Is the Onion branch as it is useable? Can a person use it for production?

No - not at all. If the branch was semi-stable I would use it because of all the improvements ‘under the hood’ but it is completely unusable. As in first-stroke-crashes-everytime unusable…

Is the Onion branch as it is useable?
Don’t think so. It’s unfinished and tend to crash quite often.

Can a person use it for production?
Honestly, giving what i tested of it, i don’t recomend it. Is unfinished, and bugs won’t be looked at until Jason can have time to do it. As it was stated on the last Sunday metting, Estimated Time of Arrival is UNKNOWN.

This particular branch is so frustrating because it looks SOOO promising! It has gone through 2 GSOC periods and still looks like it will be a very long time before it ever shows up in trunk, if at all.
Well, probably. The thing is that neither Jason nor Nicholas seems to have time nowadays to spend on it to fix all things required to ask for review to be included in Trunk. He also said that he will work on it in the “NEXT MONTHS”, so you can assume that that probably means 2-11 months give or take. Maybe another SoC will be required to do so.

Will hapen when can happen.

I don’t say anything out of impatience… however the situation right now is that no one knows what is happening. There was also supposedly to be weekly updates on the BF Committer’s list from Jason - which he hasn’t done yet. And again I’m not trying to harp on the guy at all - I’m sure he is crazy busy with study’s and all that - but it would still be nice to get a ‘hey guys I’m still alive - just don’t have time to work on the branch now - I’ll be able to look at [insert general date range in future]’

I briefly exchanged a message with his mentor and Jason is alive and willing to continue with the Onion :slight_smile:
But it is true Jason could have briefly updated everyone with his status…

Anyway… I’m the guy from the bf-comitters mail, and while we still don’t know what are Jason’s plans regarding texture paint, Antonis Ryakiotakis (Psy-Fi) and I, still plan to start working on texture paint as soon as his gsoc part gets aproved :slight_smile:

Regards.

Thats great news zafio! If you can slide a couple of sculpt features in there while your at it, that would be awesome too. Like being able to hide and mask geometry. Hey, a guy can dream can’t he?? :wink:

Does anyone what happened to that fund? At this page you can read:

Proposals will be reviewed, announcement early October.
It’s now early November and nothing have happened? To keep the fund alive I think its important that the money is actually used for something and that it is communicated to donors and the Blender community.

That’s a good question… I’m guessing with all the craziness that has been going on recently that they haven’t gotten around to announcing what the funds are going to be used for. As a subscriber I’m not really worried - Ton has never shown any lack of motivation to improve Blender and target the most important things.

I would LOVE to see some money thrown Jason’s way but I’m doubtful that would happen. Mango (probably?) won’t have much in the line of sculpting improvements in it… I’m guessing that we probably won’t see a lot in line of stable improvements probably until next years GSOC -which hopefully Jason will again join… I hope I’m wrong though on both points…