Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thank you, I use this workflow 90% of the time so that would be incredibly useful to me

This is why the default is to not translate Blender materials with Emit > 0 as true light-emitting materials.
    So this would mean that as long as the emit value wasn't greater than 0 it wouldn't be assigned as an emitting object? That would then behave the same way that "indirect lighting" works in Blender internal. Typically it's not good practice to give a higher emit setting to a material that isn't intended to illuminate so I think the default I suggested would actually make more sense.

Thanks for the tip regarding the point lights and the CPU cores

Sorry to ask THE question, but do you have any plans to use GPU acceleration either CUDA or OpenCL?

Originally Posted by comeinandburn View Post
    So this would mean that as long as the emit value wasn't greater than 0 it wouldn't be assigned as an emitting object? That would then behave the same way that "indirect lighting" works in Blender internal. Typically it's not good practice to give a higher emit setting to a material that isn't intended to illuminate so I think the default I suggested would actually make more sense.
    Got it. We will consider changing the defaults for the next release of Blenderseed. Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry to ask THE question, but do you have any plans to use GPU acceleration either CUDA or OpenCL?
    Not in the short-to-medium term. The goal of appleseed is to provide an open source alternative to render large scenes (that don't fit in GPU memory or even main memory) with deformation motion blur, fine displacement with on-the-fly tessellation and programmable shading. It isn't clear whether GPU rendering can achieve these goals and be competitive performance- and price-wise today. That is not to say GPU aren't helpful in production rendering, the obvious example being PantaRay (Avatar, Tintin).

Franz

Deformation Motion Blur Preview

Hi all,

With appleseed 1.1.0 alpha-12 around the corner, we thought it would be appropriate to show some renders using deformation motion blur, the major feature of the next alpha release (appleseed already supports camera motion blur).

Once alpha-12 is out of the door, we will update Blenderseed with support for camera and deformation motion blur.

Cheers,
    Franz

Wow! This is a bit of a dark horse of a renderengine. Deformation motion blur is a feature that catapults this firmly into contention as a renderer to use for animation.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of appleseed.
    Cheers Bliz::..
    www.anthonyrosbottom.com

Agreed! I love the roadmap for this renderer and will continue to follow its progress closely. Awesome job!
    Chad Gleason / Vice President / Creative Director
    Outpost 12 Studios
    http://www.outpost12studios.com

Is any one having issues getting this to run on OSX 64bit (10.6.8)?

I'm getting this error when I try to run appleseed.studio for the terminal per the vimeo instructions.

"Reason: Incompatible library version: appleseed.studio requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libcurl.4.dylib provides version 6.0.0
    Trace/BPT trap"

any ideas?

What are your plans for Windows x64?

I'm getting this error when I try to run appleseed.studio for the terminal per the vimeo instructions.

"Reason: Incompatible library version: appleseed.studio requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libcurl.4.dylib provides version 6.0.0
    Trace/BPT trap"

any ideas?
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, we'll look into this issue and keep you updated.

Cheers,
    Franz

Originally Posted by rontarrant View Post
    What are your plans for Windows x64?
    We'll provide x64 builds starting with alpha-12, or alpha-13 at the latest.

Cheers,
    Franz

Trace/BPT trap"

any ideas?
    Hi,

We compiled the 64-bit OS X build of appleseed on Mac OS X Lion (10.7.3) where /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib is at version 7.0.0.

On your system (10.6), the installed libcurl library is at version 6.0.0. Basically you will need to update the libcurl library of your system, or copy libcurl.4.dylib file from curl 7.0.0 next to appleseed's binaries. Sorry, I can't be more specific than this as my experience with updating shared libraries on Mac OS X is limited.

Ideas/advices welcome.

Cheers,
    Franz

Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    On your system (10.6), the installed libcurl library is at version 6.0.0. Basically you will need to update the libcurl library of your system, or copy libcurl.4.dylib file from curl 7.0.0 next to appleseed's binaries. Sorry, I can't be more specific than this as my experience with updating shared libraries on Mac OS X is limited.
    You would probably need to do something along these lines to build and deploy the latest version of curl on your system:

1. Download curl sources: http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.25.0.zip
    2. Unarchive the zip file somewhere
    3. Open a Terminal window and go to the directory containing curl sources
    4. Type: CFLAGS=-m64 ./configure
    5. Type: make
    6. Type: sudo make install

Keep in mind these steps will update your system's version of curl binaries to the latest version; this might not be what you want (and it might break other programs). I cannot in any way be held responsible if your system or other software breaks after that

A safer alternative would be to find a libcurl.4.dylib binary in version 7.0.0 or later and copy it alongside appleseed's binaries. Unfortunately, curl site only has 32-bit Mac OS X binaries.

Cheers,
    Franz
    Last edited by Franz; 18-Apr-12 at 06:07.

A quick post to announce that we just released appleseed 1.1.0 alpha-12. This major release introduces support for ray traced deformation motion blur. We also now fully support Windows x64.

We will update Blenderseed and Mayaseed shortly to add support for deformation motion blur.

Cheers,
    Franz

Does appleseed support GPU rendering?
    Online Portfolio: eyephoriadesign.com

Awesome! I look forward to trying it out! Thanks!
    Chad Gleason / Vice President / Creative Director
    Outpost 12 Studios
    http://www.outpost12studios.com

Originally Posted by roofoo View Post
    Does appleseed support GPU rendering?
    Nope, for the time being appleseed is a 100% CPU renderer.

Cheers,
    Franz

i downloaded the file twice and its corrupted, please upload again..

appleseed-1.1.0-alpha-12-0-gfc3d36e-win64-vs100.zip

32-bit unzips fine.

just tried this(32-bit version)
    would be better if we could render straight away inside of blender like other renders can
    Yafaray, Lux, MicroRender)

Originally Posted by holyenigma74 View Post
    i downloaded the file twice and its corrupted, please upload again..

appleseed-1.1.0-alpha-12-0-gfc3d36e-win64-vs100.zip

32-bit unzips fine.
    You're right, something was wrong with this file. We re-uploaded it; everything should be fine now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
    Franz

Originally Posted by holyenigma74 View Post
    just tried this(32-bit version)
    would be better if we could render straight away inside of blender like other renders can
    Yafaray, Lux, MicroRender)
    Agreed. Unfortunately we currently don't have the resources to develop a full blown integration of appleseed within Blender.

We will however assist any individual or team that would undertake this project, including possibly through financial compensation (the development of appleseed is financed by Jupiter Jazz).

Cheers,
    Franz

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast