Dissolve Material (NEW Version)

Loved it when the Demons in Doom³ died in hellfiery Dissolve Effect which might become rather common with the UDK having it?

Short Time ago I did that simple Dissolve Effect for my Contribution on the Weekend Challenge, and I think I might put a revised Version of it (cleaned up a Bit, added slightly better Functionability and some Comments) here on the Resources Forum, just to make that a Bit more official.

New Version: (Object-Color-Script, efficient):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104245941/dissolve02.blend

Old Version <i>(Vertex-Color-Script, <b>inefficient</b>)</i>:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bx2y0ltoeC2aMGNmYWNmMWQtMjBiMi00Zjc5LWE2OGI  tMGUyOGM4M2Q0OTgy&export=download&hl=en_US

And here a little Video to demonstrate the (old) Effect:

https://youtu.be/LAczyttaLv4

Really cool, I allways wondered how to do this, thanks a lot C.A. this is amazing!

Cool, indeed. It’s a very interesting effect. Great job on it!

hey!
I did not know that you had done you, I thought it was a “copy and paste”!
in addition, could not find the script! Obviously … I looked in the wrong window. : D
even duplicating the cube can not get it drop below 59FPS!
very cool !!!

question:
textures, should be TGA? (I never understood how to make the TGA to do: /)

Cool! Now I just add a second cube with black texture, and add flames! Instant combustive object!

@ all:
Thank you! :]

@ MarcoIT:
You can use any supported File Format. Making TGA Textures is a Matter of what Tool you use (Gimp? PhotoShop?), but the Alpha Transparency used for the Effect is defined by Nodes – I never use TGA Transparency for Blender, not enough Control. ;}

@ Satoru:
Hell yeah. \m/
I also have thought to Myself that the Effect might make a rather goodlooking Combustion, though I thought of something like Paper or some Sort of Fabric… the Idea with the black Cube is good, though you also can modify the Node Material so that instead of leaving pure zero Alpha Transparency just Black would be left. I have not tried it out, though it would work better for anything moving… alright, burning down living Things with Flamethrowers is evil, don’t do that! :open_mouth:

Oh come on man! You need to experiment sometimes! Besides, only then would you know you are being realistic.

C.A I m using this effect to fade in some things for my game, and it looks beautifull, this technique is great! thanks about sharing it! I m having a doubt about the alpha settings, I tried the same settup on other object and weirdly the alpha dont work, and it simply fade from the white, but Im trying to undestand why this is happening, aniway Great effect!

Thanks. :slight_smile:
Maybe your Material has »Add« as Alpha Mode? Because under that Circumstance it would fade to non-transparent white instead.

Ok I ll try it out, thanks a lot an again this is great!

Hey, really cool stuff :slight_smile: I thought of trying to do a fade-out effect (since that’s not longer possible with animation/actions in the bge?) using UV sliding, but this method of vertex colors is a lot more elegant. I really need to learn how to better use material nodes in the game engine, there are so many possibilities :slight_smile:

*Sorry for the page bump, but this is pretty cool :slight_smile:

I am looking into how to produce an accurate model of an invention I have, and this dissolve effect may would be perfect for,
The idea is that from a high mach hyper sonic ground launch of a spacecraft, the heatshield could make plasma, this plasma could be pushed away and backwards, both insulating the craft and accelerating it.
what I need is multiple objects adding up to the heatshield, and have them spawn particles where the shield is disolving, and use those particles as a physics reaction mass, and find the amount of energy etc required…

help?

Thanks for showing what can be done with smart use of node materials. I also liked the fire effect.

One thing that is an issue here is that looping through all vertices of a more complex mesh quickly eats up logic. Another way is to use the object color, this gives you 4 channels into the node editor to get material animations in BGE. Attached is an example, the node set-up does not make much sense but I just wanted to see if I could use this to warp a texture :smiley:

Attachments

material_animation2.blend (113 KB)

This is one of the effects that I most use, if you check the oppening of my pic a pix there is a massive page write going on thanks to this amazing effect, I allready thanked you C.A, but thanks again!

Thanks, leonnn! :}

And many thanks to you, Wraaah! (Triple-Letter-Composita seem popular among the Good.^^)
I have followed your Advice and created a new, rather clean .blend File:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104245941/dissolve02.blend

I use Object Color, a Module with one Fade-In and one Fade-Out and of Course no more Vertex Colors. Thank you very much, Wraaah, your little Example helped me a Lot on making this Effect a Lot more efficient! : D

EDIT’s EDIT: