2012 Game Competition: WINNERS!

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=24483
Hello everyone!

I have decided to do the Summer Competition again this coming summer!

I have started a thread early this time to take in suggestions on how you would like it to work.

Please share your comments on what you think of the current rules, and any other rules you would like to suggest.

PLAY THE GAMES HERE: http://bgame.anicator.com/contests/1/blender-game-competition-2012/

###########

WINNERS:
Graphics - Hamusutaman
Gameplay - Tome

BEST IN SHOW:
Tome

###########

Rules:

• All game development must be started after October 2011
  • No fan games
  • If you made any 3d art before October 2011, you must share it for free on blendswap/turbosquid/or it’s equivalent.
  • Must be finished by October 1st
  • A playable game must be released by the deadline
  • You do not need to release the files of your game
  • There will be a qualification round, depending on the number of entries
  • A judge panel will decide the winners
  • There are three categories - Gameplay/Replayability, Graphics, Story
  • There is also a best in show
  • The version of blender used must be 2.6+
  • GLSL is optional, but recommended
  • No copyrighted items may be used, unless you own the rights or got permission.
  • You are held liable if you infringe on a copyright
  • The rules listed may change over time

Rules are open to discussion

Prizes:
$100 for first place for Story, Gameplay, Graphics (-MalCanDo)
This for best in show (www.tabletmod.com)
3 Month www.cgcookie.com membership for best in show

Judges Confirmed:
mokazon
andrew-101
excalaberr
ideasman42
agoose77
moguri

#############################################

The Deadline is October 1st

SIGNUP: http://mokazon.wufoo.com/forms/2012-blender-summer-game-competition/

Thank you,
-Mokazon

Ahh the good old competition.
i dont think i will be able to participate, coz busy days ahead.:stuck_out_tongue:
Good luck!

Yay!! great to see this competition here again.
some categories could be 3ps, 2d, fps.

Rules:

• All entries must be made entirely in 2012
  • If using pre-made textures/models/programming, these files must be available to public.
  • Project must be own idea (No fan games)

I will edit this post and add more rules as they come. Please give me suggestions. :slight_smile:
-Mokazon

Does the competition start in 2012 or end at the beginning of 2012?

Infininte: starts in 2012

What does this mean exactly? Started and made entirely in 2012, or at least been worked on in 2012?

@Moguri made entirely in 2012. If the majority is opposed to this, I will remove this rule. Edited post to clarify.

Is there going to be a specific theme? And, can we do concepts now?

Infininte - well, you tell me! The reason I started this thread early is to get ideas on how we should run it. Do you think there should be themes? Regarding concepts - sure, go ahead, but to be safe, you might not want to start the actual game.

btw - sorry guys, my internet was out for a few days =\

Let it be open - no themes. And let us already have started in 2011…

Yeah, let us have already started in 2011. Not that it really matters to me, I’ll probably have started 3 or 4 new game projects by the time 2012 comes. :stuck_out_tongue: No themes.

EDIT: How am I just now hearing about this competition?!?! o.O

anybody else in favor of a 2011 start date and no themes?

The reason i suggested doing it 2012 only is because it’s a summer game competition :wink:

I’m up for only making the games in 2012. Otherwise somebody who started last winter could have a huge advantage over everybody else. And no themes.

I’m with Infininte on that one

Hi

Since the previous contest ended up with one person decision/ruling farce, I will skip this one.

Anyhow my input.

Concerning the rules, I would be very very carefully this time.

Example. The BGE resourses usage is allowed or not? If not, who will control it?

I would say, only a competition participant’s with real input’s can vote each others only. No one else.
No more fan-club lemming voting…

Something to start with

Xjazz - I guess I dont really understand what you’re saying. Could you clarify a bit?

I’m considering entering this time.

I’d prefer that games be made entirely in 2012, but allowing preproduction to happen at any time in the past. People can dust off old concepts and stories, completely revamp their current ‘prototype’ projects, etc. It’s going to be a matter of trust anyway as to the start date so this leeway might reduce the inevitable disagreements a bit.

Concerning a theme, I’d say leave it open.

Now some questions…
Is reuse of old code allowed? Perhaps a game would be built using third person template, would it be allowed? Mouselook scripts are often reused, would they need to be rewritten in 2012? My game engine ragdolls addon comes with game scripts, can they be used?

I’m intending to enter in order to give myself some motivation for implementing ragdolls in a full game including limb severance, etc. Nothing might come of it, but it’s worth a shot. My game might end up as a frankenstein’s monster of code snippets that will be credited to others built around the ragdolls and am wondering what people’s thoughts are on code reuse like this.

I think it would be better if it would be only 2012. It’s only a matter of trust, but I thing it can be interesting because it will show what could possibly be done in a certain closed amount of time, and not a game that have been worked for an eternity and happen to finish at this time.

For the theme, I don’t really have any in mind but I think it could be fun to have some limitation. Like “futuristic” and “must have an underwater secondary gameplay” or something like that. Just to push some pressure on the artists and make it fun to see how each of them managed to integrate those limitations in their games.

I don’t really have any suggestion though. =/

Its a summer competition, why not have “Summer” as a theme ?