My_first_Blender_game (Beginner BGE tutorial series)

Hello everyone!

This is a tutorial series aimed at complete beginner in the game engine that you teach you in great detail how to create a basic platformer in the BGE. I hope you’ll find it useful and don’t forget to leave me your feedback!

Part 1 : Movement setup
Part 1.5 : Physic types, shaders and collision bounds

Part 2 : Double jump setup
Part 2.5 : Local vs global, Touch vs collision and bugs in part 2

Part 3 : Pickup objects
Part 3.5 : UV and object animation

Part 4 : menus and healthbar
Part 4.5 : Text, scene, animation and controllers

Part 5 : counters (real time text objects)
Part 5.5 : Modify the realtime bitmap text image

Part 6 : Character animation
Part 6.5 : Introduction to rigging and animation

Part 7 : Enemy setup
Part 7.5 : Sounds and 2D filters

part 8 : Conclusion

I have also added the initial and final blend file if you would like to poke around or compare your final result. Note that some .5 part changes did not affect the final part (the double jump with cervo control for example).

Enjoy and start making those games already. ^^

Even though I was dead tired yesterday and couldn’t finish the second video, I enjoyed what I saw thus far. I’m looking forward to the next episode. :slight_smile:

By the way, maybe this thread would be better in the Tutorials forum (a moderator may move it for you if you want)?

I dont know, i believe its more suited here, because new users would have to sift through hours of other tuts for other sections…this is specifically for the BGE

Thanks ManOfSteel. I’m glad you enjoyed it. =P

For the tutorial section… I thought I was in it, I am not? 0o

Your in Game Engine > Resources
He means Support > Tutorials

But I think you should definitely stay here! :slight_smile: Loving the tutorials by the way!

Great, I’m happy you’re enjoying them. I would have a question, I find that the image is a bit small, you have to watch it in fullscreen better quality to see it, does that annoy you? I guess I could size down my recorder and my blender window and that would fix it. Should I?

Ho, and part 1.5 is out. I’ll try to put part 2.5 online at the end of the weekend too.

thank’s for making a tutorial, i appreciate you.
SEO Agency India

Well I watched the smallest resolution (MP4 360p) version without fullscreen and had no problem with it. Maybe it would be a problem for someone who’s not familiar with the interface, but I don’t think someone who doesn’t already know how to use Blender would start with BGE.

Thanks for 1.5.

Well I watched the smallest resolution (MP4 360p) version without fullscreen and had no problem with it. Maybe it would be a problem for someone who’s not familiar with the interface, but I don’t think someone who doesn’t already know how to use Blender would start with BGE.

Thanks for 1.5! :slight_smile:

I agree with ManOfSteel, it looks fine, Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

As stated, part 2.5 as been added. Your comments/suggestions are welcome and don’t forget to tell me your interest in python. Hope you’ll like it. Now on to part 3.

Part three is out. Feedback is appreciated and and I hope you’ll like it.

I’ll try to deliver part 3.5 for the end of the weekend.

Added part 3.5. Working on part 4. I think the series should be around 8 parts excluding the .5 ones.

Part 4 is out.

I watched it :slight_smile: Nice tutorials.

Thanks RossBlenderArt.

I’ve just uploaded part 4.5. Not my best, lot of hesitations, but I want to go forward as I’d like to finish this series as soon as possible and move to something else. So far half of it is done and here is the schedule for the other parts :

Part 5 : Real time Text (time counter, coin counter)
Part 6 : Character animation
Part 7 : enemy setup
Part 8 : wrapping up

Looks great. Thanks for your continued dedication.

You’re welcome ManOfSteel. I really felt that this was heavily missing from the available tutorials series out there and I’d like this finished soon so that more beginner can start using the BGE without having to poke everywhere to get all the basic information.

Anyway, part five is out. Can’t believe I did it in so little time. Guess I’m starting to get it with tutorials. If you find that the pace of the video is a little bit too fast, tell me and I’ll try to slow down in the next parts.

Added part 5.5 and part 6. Part 6 is a bit long so grab some popcorn before enjoying. I hope to finish the series in two weeks. Yay!

Enjoying the tutorials so far, just commenting to bump it up and reducing scrolling to reach the post :slight_smile: