BLENDER 2.60a - COLLADA EXPORT TO VUE

I find that when I export a collada file from Blender into Vue (9), Vue crashes when I try to import it. However, if I take it through Daz, that fixes it and Vue has no problem.

I even re-imported the DAZ collada file back into Blender - no problem - and re-exported it. This time Vue had no problem. So whatever DAZ fixed, it stayed fixed even when the collada was taken through Blender again.

I have read a lot posts in this forum and many mention collada export problems, but I don’t find any solutions, so I thought I would ask just in case there is any news about this collada export problem.

Thanks for any new clues.

A good starting point would be to compare the initial blender export, and compare it to the DAZ export. (They are just XML text files.)

It generally helps to try removing as much of the scene as possible (i.e. try to narrow down what is making it crash, and only export that) to make it easier to determine what is causing the crash.

Thanks FishB8. Beginning with a simple sphere - nothing else in the file - when I export as a Collada (.dae) the resulting text, viewed in notepad, is about 87 gallons of gibberish. After taking it through DAZ, it remains industrial strength gibberish but it no longer crashes VUE 9. I can’t imagine how I would find the change or know what change of many is the signifigant one.

Well, yes. That’s because a sphere has a lot of vertices in it. Start by trying something a lot more simple, like a plane (only 4 vertices). Much less gibberish.

Also, diff tools can help a lot in showing the differences between 2 files.

But you’re right, finding what is causing the problem would take a lot of work. Especially if it’s something like a combination of things that cause the problem. Finding the problem with blender would be much easier because you can create a debug version and figure out what is causing the crash. With commercial software like Vue, there’s not much you can do. Your best bet would be to see if you Vue offers any type of support to help figure out what is going on.