Bsurfaces New Year's contest. (And Christmas bonus)

For those who may not know about Bsurfaces, here is some info and a couple of demos:
www.bsurfaces.info
vimeo.com/26339130
www.blendtuts.com/bsurfaces_review
I also liked these:
sandboxalchemy.posterous.com
3dblog.simplicity.be

Just as a way to promote Bsurfaces among sculptors of the different 3D sculpting packages I started this contest with 14 copies of Bsurfaces as prizes: 10 Single license copies, plus 4 “Small company” license copies (which allow up to 12 copies each to be used in the same company/institution), in which anyone can participate, not only sculptors, with the same chances to win and quite effortlessly.

The idea is quite simple: “if you know a 3D sculptor invite him/her to post a sculpture in this thread”. If that sculpture is one of the winners, then both the author and the person who invited him/her win a Bsurfaces copy each.

The Rules:
(There are two persons: the 3D “Sculptor” and the one who invites him/her which is the “Referrer”)

• Each Sculptor must be invited, and by only one Referrer.
  • A Referrer can invite as many Sculptors as he/she wants.
  • The Sculptor will post one of his/her sculptures (it can be any previous work) in this thread, mentioning the nickname of his/her Referrer. If that sculpture wins, both win a copy of Bsurfaces.
  • Only one sculpture per Sculptor.
  • Sculptors can play as Referrers and invite other Sculptors to get more chances to win.
    (note: keep in mind that the person who invites the Sculptor becomes his/her Referrer when the Sculptor posts the sculpture and writes the Referrer’s nickname on that same post.)

In short: anyone can bring Sculptors, as many as they want, then the Sculptor will post a sculpture in this thread and mention in that post the Blenderartists.org nickname of the person who invited him/her.

Selection of the winners:
The nicest sculptures will win, although to give more chances to everybody, not just the highly gifted ones, there will be two categories of sculptures: High Quality and Standard.
As a reference of High Quality category:
link1 link2 link3

And as reference of Standard category:
link1 link2 link3 link4

Prizes:
The very best sculpture will win the “Small Company” license, which can be installed in up to 12 computers of the same company/institution. (The Referrer gets one of those licenses too).
4 copies of Bsurfaces will go to the best 2 sculptures and their respective Referrers, in the High Quality category.
4 other copies will go to the best 2 sculptures and their respective Referrers, in the Standard category.
1 copy will go to the Referrer who invited more Sculptors.
And 1 copy will be raffled randomly among everybody participating so everyone has a chance.

(UPDATE 1: There will be a Christmas bonus prize, It will be a “Small company” license (allows up to 12 copies for the same company / institution), one for the Sculptor and one for the Referrer.
This prize will be raffled randomly among those sculptures posted until December 22nd.)

Those who participate for this Christmas prize will still participate for the New Year’s prizes.

(UPDATE 2: For the Chirstmas prize, those who have a work in progress around 50%-60% finished, will be able to change the picture to the one with the final result for the New Year’s prizes. Just write “Work in progress” in the post for Christmas.)

(UPDATE 3: Christmas bonus contestants, in the order they were posted.)
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2567/christmasbonuscontestan.png

I will have the unpleasant task of choosing the nicest sculptures of each category. Although if you prefer, it could be done using a Poll thread and everyone participating. You decide.

(UPDATE 4: Posts with date up to 29-Dec [this forum’s time] will get in for New Year’s prizes.)

So, if you know or find any 3D sculptor using either Blender or ZBrush, Mudbox, 3DCoat, Sculptris, etc., etc., or any small studio interested in the “Small company” license, just let them know here is a possible nice Christmas or New Year’s Eve present waiting.

I’d like to invite ‘@Damien1’ if he wants to enter.

Can I ask for someone to invite me?
Also, must your entry be 100% sculpted from a simple shape or can you sculpt off of a mesh, like a simple human mesh?

The idea would be to invite the Sculptor directly. Those sculptors you invite will then post their sculptures (one per Sculptor) and mention you as the Referrer.

Can I ask for someone to invite me?
Shhh… yeap :wink:

Also, must your entry be 100% sculpted from a simple shape or can you sculpt off of a mesh, like a simple human mesh?
The sculptures must be mostly (90%) sculpting work. Of course, as many sculptures, they could have been started from a base mesh, that’s fine.
Keep in mind they can be previous works, they don’t need to be sculptures made for this specific contest.

Can you invite yourself? I mean I don’t know anyone in my neck of the woods who sculpts. Just architectural designers. But I am a Zbrush user. Just thought I would ask.:o

Can’t invite yourself, but there’s plenty of sculptors on the net, perhaps you find a couple of them interested in getting Bsurfaces.

so what exactly is the point of the invite system, other than getting as few entries as possible?

@randosity42
You can invite as many sculptors as you like, the more you invite the more chances you have to win.

@randosity42 I would guess that it is to generate interest of people that might not know about bsurfaces, especially sculptors from other progs might not know about it and with this kind of contest the interest of said sculptors could be attracted. Atleast that is my guess. Looking forward to seeing those sculpts :slight_smile:

Ok, fair reply. No harm in asking. Well I will leave this one to someone else as I don’t want to spam or solicit others who I do not know just to get a copy for myself. :o
I will just buy a copy. The support will be good for you anyway.

Just the same I am keenly interested in seeing the results. You have a very powerful tool there. Good luck!

That’s fine. Thanks for the support :wink:

Ummm… if you are going to make this software free in a few months anyhow…
whats the point other than nice stiff competition?(competition is always fun) :slight_smile:
or… have you reconsidered making it opensource?

okay, i still don’t see a point to the invite system, but anyway…when are the sculptures due exactly? I assume a few days before the 29th, but I couldn’t find a date…

@holyenigma74
The GPL release will be as previously described. This is just a simple way to get it sooner.

@randosity42
Can post sculptures any time you desire.

I want to enter roberto_roch since I find him to be in the top section of blender artists when it comes to sculpting.

now there’s tons of his work on his blog (thisroomthatikeep) but as I understand the rules, now that I’ve referred to him. he himself should post the contribution. :slight_smile: so please Roberto pick something awesome ^^

@aermartin
It’s fine if you would like to announce your invitations here, just keep in mind that you will be his Referrer when he posts his sculpture and writes your nickname in that same post.

So who wants to invite me :smiley: EDIT: I’m already refered as of dec 13

Can a sculptor do a swap with another sculptor? So I could say invite D_structorr if he is willing to invite me?

I would love to enter this contest, if anyone is wanting to invite a Sculptor i am your guy! Message me if u do ! Thanks

as a sculptor, I am taken. So, which sculptor needs an invite? -pm- :smiley:

@D_structorr and Thordwilk, post some links to your work, and maybe someone will here will invite you!