Dynamic paint not rendering

Sorry for the simple question, but how can I get Dynamic Paint colours to render in a video/image? I have the canvas and the brush objects set up to their default settings, and the paint (blue) appears when I hit Alt-A, but other than that it won’t render.

Hi, Ejj.

If you want to render the result, you must set keyframes at the end points where you move the brush. Then adjust the timeline start and end frames of animation. Do the same for the Frames option at Canvas properties panel.
Now select the canvas and apply it a new material, through material’s properties panel. At the panel´s bottom, in the tab named Options check the box: Vertex Color Paint.
Then go back to properties panel for Physics and press button Bake. The cursor will be replace by a small black square while the process is running. When it finishes, You can select any frame at the timeline of your animation and hit (F12) to get the picture.

I’m having the same problem as the OP. I can use dynamic paint and it shows up in the viewport but then when I render using F12 the dynamic paint is not present in the render and it disappears in the viewport.
If I then go back or forward a frame in the timeline, the dynamic paint reappears in the viewport. It still won’t render, though. The strange thing is that the dynamic paint demos downloaded from http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-261/blender-261-demo-files/ work just fine - I can render them as expected.
Some pictures to illustrate:

Before rendering - dynamic paint shows up in the viewport in both my blend and the demo.

F12 render - dynamic paint is gone in my blend, and present in the demo.

I’ve done some side-by-side comparisons of the demos and my blend and it seems the settings are the same for the canvas and brush objects.
Is there some other setting that effects dynamic paint somewhere that I’m missing?
Blender version is 2.62.0 r44136 on Windows x64, but I did try it in a VM running Debian and got the same result.

Attachments

dynamicpaint.blend (524 KB)

I should also mention that I can make color show up using UV mapping, but dynamic paint deforms like waves also don’t work (but do in the demos) and can’t be worked around by texture mapping (at least as far as I know).

Oh, that was easy… If subdivision surface is before paint in the modifier list for the canvas object, dynamic paint doesn’t render. If subdivision surface is after paint in the modifier list, dynamic paint does render. I don’t know if this is a bug or intended behavior.

1 Like

Hi Blondor,
I think this is a bug as I cant render dynamic paint effects in Blender 2.8.5