[CG] Cornell Box(es), Hairballs. famous render test scenes as OBJ files

Snapped it up on a tweet.

morgan3d: Cornell Box variations in OBJ format; w/ spheres, water, etc. to match specific figures from publications http://t.co/c01JZc0p

Cornell box(es) that can be good for you guys working on rendering to have test scenes.

there’s tons of famous testscenes. I downloaded the nvidia hairball

236.1 Mb OBJ file, took 1-2min to load into blender.
viewport was still kinda interactive at 2.880.000 faces.

here’s a fullscreen image of the viewport in edit mode ^^

There are many more test scenes on that site to download in OBJ formats, enjoy!
http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/data/meshes.xml

A huge thank you for the link.

ya’'ll welcome! hope you find a use for the models there. as OBJ it’s really a pleasant way to import to blender. it just works.

These are great! Thanks very much :smiley:

Out of curiosity how much ram do you need to open the san miguel file because my laptop filled all 4 gigs of its ram and then took up 10GB of swap space and still didn’t open.

Wow that cube is amazing :wink:
and only 4 kb

Thanks! Also good benchmark material here.

236.1 Mb OBJ file, took 1-2min to load into blender.
viewport was still kinda interactive at 2.880.000 faces
Just wondering what video card are you running? My oldish 5870 has no problem at all with this object (hairball), and the viewport runs at a healthy 90fps at 1920*1200. (in solid object mode - in edit mode it’s understandably slow)

Are you running a Nvidia card?

can you explain how to work with these imported obj ?

i mean i got the cathedral and can see the model in blender
but then do i have to re upload all the UV texture et…

thanks for any help

When I load the hairball in blender the viewport is quite laggy in object mode, but somehow when I use rendered option in cycles I cannot experiecne a single lag. It is just as smooth as if there was only the default cube on the screen. Can anyone explain this weird behavior to me?

I have 16 gigs of ram and geforce 570 with 2.5 gig of ram. Blender version 2.61.3

Probably because it’s running on the cuda cores instead of OpenGL

Cannot open san miguel either with 16 gigs of ram. Dunno where to check the memory usage.

wow. If you are using windows 7 or vista then press ctrl+shift+esc, if you are using windows XP the ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manager. Navigate to performance and you should see this window. The blue one is RAM the red one is swap.

if you have vista full windows installation you can get the graphics but not if you have the smaller version graphics wont show up!

unless there is a trick here!

on vista premium i can see only the memory allocation per task !

thanks

Hi @aemartin, here there is another page with resources for rendering. In particular, the Stanford dragon OBJ is smaller than the one in your link. On the left side appears other interesing models.