Hiding 3D Cursor?

Hey there, is it possible to hide/remove the 3D Cursor? I don’t need it, coming from Cinema 4D I like all my objects to be created at the center of my view and move them manually to the place I want them to be in the end.

Sometimes it happens to me that I accidentaly press the left mouse button and move the 3D Cursor, then I have to center it again with Shift-C. I know its not a lot of work, but really annoys me. :wink:

Any suggestions? :slight_smile:

regards

Hey there, is it possible to hide/remove the 3D Cursor?
No

Sometimes it happens to me that I accidentaly press the left mouse button and move the 3D Cursor, then I have to center it again with Shift-C. I know its not a lot of work, but really annoys me.
Change the curser placement shortcut to something like Shift+LMB

I am not familiar with Cinema and the workflow you are used to, but you might find some other uses for the cursor. I often use it as a rotation or scaling point, or use it to position things with more accuracy, using functions like “selection to cursor”, “origin to cursor”. I was bothered about it like you are at first, coming from max, but I then discovered it’s actually a useful feature.

hey, thanks for answering so fast. seems like i have to get used to the 3D Cursor, and who knows, maybe someday i will find it as useful as oanav does :slight_smile:

but really annoys me. :wink:
that is an impression i had when i started blender comming from max, xsi, but i got used to it, now i can’t work without it :D.

even i started using addons to extend it’s use, open your mind, don’t stop where auto**sk taught you.

Although you can’t hide 3d cursor but you can disable it in User Preferences.
1.User Preferences>Input>3D View>3D View(Global)>Set 3D Cursor(clear the check box)

A UI tweak suggestion I really like is to just hide it whenever it’s centered at 0,0,0.
I love the functionality, and anyone not incorporating it into their workflow is missing out on a lot… but ugh, is it an eyesore.

Enhanced 3D Cursor addon allow you to hide coursor.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Enhanced_3D_Cursor

The enhanced cursor addon is the way to go. I am learning Blender myself and doing some videos as I go.
Here is a link to my video on hiding the 3d cursor.

Great. That`s something i am looking for since i know Blender. Never understood why to bother the users with something that is in the way for 99.9% of the times. I asked more than once to make it hidable. But the devs never picked it up. Nice that there is a user way now :slight_smile:

The script seems to have a bug though. When i save my user preferences with hidden 3D cursor and closed toolshelf and restart blender, then the 3D cursor is back again. It hides in the moment when i open up the Toolshelf panel.

Oh, great, seems that i have done what i should not do. I have installed the script by Install Add-On … :confused:

Hm, i have to install by Add-On though. I download a new Blender version every two or three days.

[TABLE=“class: NiceTip”]

On Windows system, don’t use “Install Add-On…” button in User Preferences! If you do this, Blender will begin to permanently crash on startup.

[/TABLE]

I understand wanting to hide the cursor however I wouldn’t recommend it. It becomes an invaluable tool for snapping and pivoting. I rarely set it manually by left clicking however I use the shift+s menu frequently. It allows you to perform transformations that would otherwise not be possible.

I understand wanting to hide the cursor however I wouldn’t recommend it. It becomes an invaluable tool for snapping and pivoting. I rarely set it manually by left clicking however I use the shift+s menu frequently. It allows you to perform transformations that would otherwise not be possible.

Its not about disabling the 3d cursor. Its about having it in the way all the time, even when you don`t need it, even when it heavily disturbs. Like for texture painting. Like for weight painting.

I use the 3D cursor maybe ten times a year. Which shows how vital the 3D cursor for my workflow really is. The rest of the time this little rascal resides at the screen, and is disturbing me. I know of lots of other helper things that i use regularly. When everything would act like the 3D cursor, staying permanently onscreen and disturbing the view, then there wouldn`t be any space for modeling anymore.

Well in that case the solution is simple. N-panel >3D Cursor > XYZ:1000km (all of them), and U’ll see that never again unless u need it.

Well in that case the solution is simple. N-panel >3D Cursor > XYZ:1000km (all of them), and U’ll see that never again unless u need it.

That would be hiding, wouldn`t it? :wink:

But doesnt work, unfortunately. My far clipping is at 1000 here. And i did what you suggested. As you can see you can still see the 3d cursor. Its not even close to a far away location. I´m in front view here, looking at 0/0/0. And so i shouldn`t see the 3D cursor at all.

I have long given up to put it off screen. It will always come back at one point, nagging you even more then. That`s why i think this plugin should be fixed to get it to fully work. The hiding of the 3D cursor is really something useful.

Attachments