Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fractured Rocks

Fractured Rocks

I was nicely surprised as quickly can be done quite complex rock valley just in a few steps.

Fracture cube (if planner or voronoi depend on your needs). Join shards in one mesh.

Add remesh modifier for several reasons
    - "uniform" grid for displace modifier
    - a bit roughness on edges
    - creates connections between shards

Add sub surf (simple) and displace modifier

Add bump texture for details

And thanks to the modifiers you can quite easy edit the base mesh.

Download .blend file
    Last edited by vklidu; 06-Mar-12 at 09:50.

the same model with simple texture

All around is Ocean modifier with the same material as rocks
    Last edited by vklidu; 06-Mar-12 at 09:47.

Bravo!!!!!! Great technique and Epic results,
    vklidu, as always your stuff is AAA

Great stuff. I'm just waiting for someone to make a fracture tutorial since right now it's all over my head.
    "The world is in thought. Everything is still"

When I saw first post I was like it's ok, but noting too fancy. But then after seeing second post i changed my mind. Very cool indeed.

Thanks guys
    Procedural rocks or stones are nothing new. The goal of this technique is the remesh modifier. Thanks to it you can create awesome results.
    It is like in nature, block of stone is breaked into a peaces (fracture), a bit moved by tectonic activity (game phys), remesh does more natural looking for last step of modulation - stone that is melt / brushed by wind / water in ages (displace modifier).

I will try to post some better result of the remesh's work for this propose.
    You don't need any sculpting and you get very complex Stone wall with deep holes and fracts, that you can't get by classic displacing. And all this in a few minutes.

@GraphiX: One fracture tutorial you can find here, i think nothing was changed from that time. Anyway, all you need for this rocks is only activate script, with spacebar search for Fracture Object and then with shards selected - search for Set Riggid Body.
    Last edited by vklidu; 17-Apr-12 at 15:38.

Vklidu, you are my testKIng!
    In the end, only blender will surrender
    i7 4770 - 2x GTX 780 ti- 32GB

Impressive!

How did you get your shards so uniform when using the fracture tools? Mine usually are a bit more random when I use it.

@tungee: would love to be "FinishedProjectKing"

@JoskuaC: example cube is not fractured by pildanovak's fracture script, it's "fractured" with voronoi algorithm.
    (I used ManifoldLab's build of Wings3D app, because it can create 1000 shards in a few seconds.)
    But in these hours you can try scoprpion81's "Destructability Editor" addon, if you need voronoi. I haven't try it yet.

This one is based on "Fracture Tool" add-on

Last edited by vklidu; 05-Mar-12 at 04:31.

Even that result looks pretty darn good! Thanks for the links, I'll have to play around with them a bit.

Originally Posted by JoshuaC View Post
    Even that result looks pretty darn good! Thanks for the links, I'll have to play around with them a bit.
    You can also use these scripts for voronoi frature.
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...=1#post2060271

Good looking rocks Vklidu

Originally Posted by Brenel View Post
    You can also use these scripts for voronoi frature.
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...=1#post2060271

Good looking rocks Vklidu
    Neat stuff! I'm gonna have to give your bundle script a try since that's the one thing I could never figure out when playing with the fracture scripts.

It will be soon (may be already) replaced by new destructibility editor mine is too clumsy method.

I would definitely love to see something like that in the editor. I'm not too technically inclined with scripting, so anything that makes things easier is fine by me!

Great testing.
    Here my thoughts. Rocks are a more interesting subject than we may have in mind.
    Rocks are closer to a massive geometry approach. Just some cubes via booleans or so.
    A box modeling is what we need. The trick is to subdivide without catmull-clark smoothing. Then, a displacing sculpting.
    Rocks are closer to an abstract sculpting approach. Clean faces, dirty subdivisions. Most of all, interesting textures and bumps applied on this.
    Fracture tool is close. Manual box modeling is the best. However, some study on rocks is needed first.

Last edited by vklidu; 09-Mar-12 at 10:53.

@michalis: I didn't want to simplify stone problematic just to a cube
    Stones are very mysterious objects.
    But as you said -stones are abstract. There are many kinds of stone material and thousands visual results after ages of different weatherforecasts. That is why I tried to use a bit randomness from generated shards or use physics to get more natural looking.
    For more accurate result (and for artists needs) user refinement is needed of course.

I open this thread because it looks like effective start to me - If you compare this result (that takes 5 minutes) with modeling from the box, you can't say no
    If yo have massive scene or car riding next to the valley . . . looks like useful way.

Mesh keeps his very elementary topology, and all is done via few modifiers, so you can go to an edit mode and with "L" select specific shard and change composition, make a hole, change displace value to reshape from corpulent to sharp edge kind, or what ever.
    Last edited by vklidu; 24-May-12 at 13:01.

How did you do the snow texture?
    ALL YOUR BLENDS ARE BELONG TO US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast