Fund raising and Roadmap of Image Layers for Blender

Hello everyone!
Regarding my last work on the layer manager, I have drawn up a roadmap and started raising funds for
the development of the Image Layer.
The project is divided for a total of 6 phases, where each stage has its budget.
Each phase addresses a particular aspect, such as: layer management, operations, etc…

Current Status:
Layers v0.2 beta6 new features and fixed bug for Phase 2. Completed: 28\09\2012:
1. FIX: If there is only one layer and you try to delete it, Blender crashes.
2. FIX: You create a layer only if it is an image of a file or if it is a generated image.
In this way you avoid several crashes.
3. FIX: Fixed a display issue of the border around the image.
4. FIX: When you render a scene, Blender does not lock.
5. FIX: If it is invisible Baselayer and remove layers invisible, Blender crashes.
6. FIX: Quando applicavo Merge All con foto in un layer si verificava un crash.
7. UPD: When does the “Merge All” and is also deleted the “Background”, the last layer is
renamed “Background”.
8. UPD: In the “Merge All” when you delete the “Background”, the “default_color” is set in
white, the property “Background” in “IMA_LAYER_BG_WHITE”.
9. UPD: Updated “startup.blend” with the properties of the dashed border to the image.
10. UPD: In the panel Image Layers when you create a layer is created with the default settings.
11. UPD: Modified functions “BKE_image_get_ibuf” and “BKE_image_acquire_ibuf” in order to allow
the integration of layers in Blender.
12. UPD: Modified “IMB_imbuf_types.h” in “DNA_imbuf_types.h”, so you can save the ImBuf within
files “.Blend”.
13. UPD: Modified “image_get_ibuf” so you can return a layer or merge layers.
Useful for integration.
14. UPD: Updated Blending layers but the problem of the black border around the stroke has not
been resolved.
15. UPD: Changed the way you view an image in the “View” and for Render.
Now uses the “glaDrawPixelsTexScaled”.
16. UPD: In the structure “Image” is connected to ibufs the resulting image of the union of
all layers.
17. ADD: Added menu “Transform”.
18. ADD: Added menu “Scale”.
19. ADD: Added “Open Image” in the header of the Space Image.
20. ADD: Ability to save layers and images in the file. “Blend”.
21. ADD: Now you can choose the layer to be used within the node “Image”.
22. ADD: Now it is possible to save an image composed of several layers.

List of stages:
Phase 1: Completed Stage : Management
Target : Management and operations common to organize Layer.

Phase 2: Completed
Stage : Transform
Target : Simple operation to change the selected layer.

Phase 3: WIP
Stage : Color
Target : Operation for the color management.

Phase 4:
Stage : Import & Export
Target : Import and export in the formats most commonly used layer.

Phase 5:
Stage : Tools
Target : Paint Tools, Selection Tools, Generic Tools

Phase 6:
Stage : Brush
Target : Improvement Brush

Builds:
Win 64: http://www.graphicall.org/908
Win 32: http://www.graphicall.org/909
Ubuntu 64: http://www.graphicall.org/1004
Ubuntu 32: http://www.graphicall.org/1003

Patch: patch-layer Phase 2.0.rar

To further explore each stage, you can check out my blog: http://ruesp83.wordpress.com
Additionally, I created the pages where you can report bugs and suggest new features related to
image layer.
This project can be developed and improved only with help from everyone! So I can spend more time
developing the Image Layer for Blender.
In the meantime please all users to test the patch, so that we can improve what already done and eliminate as many bugs as possible.

Donations: 947,06€
Objective of the next phase: 1200€.

Your donation will be used to continue to improve this project.
Thank everyone in advance for your contribution!

Best regards,
Fabio Russo (ruesp83)

We need more initiatives like this, well done!

Some questions:
1] Is there some sort of guarantee that this actually will be merged into trunk?
2] How many people feel that this is required?
3] So basically the intention is recreate more Photoshop-like functionality? (which is awesome!)

Hey Fabio,

I think it would be better to post this over General Forums, as most users who might be interested in Image Layers won’t visit the coding forums!

@Crumpet: I’m pretty sure all texture artists feel this is required :slight_smile:

Regards.

Hi Crumpet:

1. For the moment it is very immature as a project. But if you get to a good point I think there are many chances!
  2. When the news came out of blendernation, the comments were very favorable. The layers are also present between the characteristics required for the GSOC2012.
  3. I’m inspired by MyPaint, Gimp and PS. I take the best features from each one! :wink:

Actually you’re right, I thought it was more inherent here!
I do not know how to change section. I guess you should contact an administrator, I do not know! XD

Just post it again at the other section. A duplicate post won’t hurt much :slight_smile:

Which one is more appropriate: latest news or Blender CG Discussions?

latest news seems appropriate

thanks for the advice! :wink:

You are welcome!

Actually… don’t do that. Each post has a handy “Report Post” link (it’s the black triangle with an exclamation point) that you can use to make the moderation team aware of the post/thread and what you’d like done (e.g. move the thread to another forum).

Use that.

Thank you for your interest and for the advice! :wink:

And… returning to the original topic. Have you looked at MichaelW’s Texture Paint Layer Manager add-on? It already exists and would likely be a better starting point than nothing.

Yes I already know! My project is not un’add-on, but it is an addition to the Blender code. However, I can get ideas on some features. :wink:

Do you know about jason wilkins GSOC work from last year? He worked on integrating the mypaint brush lib. I think you should build upon his work. No need to start from scratch.
Will the layers work in the image editor as well as in 3D texture paint mode?

Yes, I know the project of Jason! :slight_smile:
In fact, in step 6 is expected to start from that project.
At the following linkson my blog is explained every point, and in phase 6 to step 1 I refer precisely to Jason.

Regarding the 3D Texture Paint Mode, I’m starting to study :smiley:

ruesp83,

if you are still a student you could apply for gsoc to work on parts of this.

hi , looking nice your proyect , i really would like to work like photoshop in Blender .

here ,a paint i did insede Blender with a plane almost a year ago , i have to rotated the plane :stuck_out_tongue: ( always look upside down without rotated first , i don’t know why )

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/carlos_tetris/2pruebaalekpintadoBlender.jpg

Never like texture paint layer for me very strange , i never ever used it .
I prefer painting like mudbox or bodypaint that really good :slight_smile:

-Your proyect will have carpets like photoshop ?

• Are you gonna work with LAYER STYLE like photoshop too? ( this will be very helpful)

• This layers will work in the paint system like BODY PAINT AND MUDBOX ( that would be a great step for Blender paint mode ) ;).

Saludos

In my very humble opinion, this is not the right path forward for texture editing. We already have photoshop and gimp, there’s no need to duplicate them inside Blender.

A much better approach would be to roll the texture painting functionality and the modern compositor code into the currently forgotten and unloved texture nodes. That way we could have multiple outputs, algorithmic textures, blending modes, effects and adjustments limited only by your imagination. Multiple texture output nodes for any given node tree would act like Photoshop’s layer comps. An additional advantage would be that once the tiling compositor kicks in, it would get a nice speed boost, and even more once the OpenCL is in.

MadMinstrel,

actually integrating GEGL would be the most worthwhile way forward and it could be exposed as nodes and or layers.

Wow, I’ve wanted this like since…a really long time. :slight_smile: The texture paint we have now just really does not cut it. I drool when I imagine what I could do with a hideously expensive 3D painting tool like Deep Paint UV…this project sounds like it could be a very promising step in that direction.