(Dinosaur Contest) Carnotaur

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working on modeling this, a carnotaur. I have done very little and I’m a bit daunted by the thought of texturing the skin, but here is my work so far. I’m going for a very stocky, powerful look, if he looks bulky.

Attachments

After sculpting the head:

Attachments

Wow, looks like this thread is unfavorable. =/ Anyway, I’ve altered the modeling, done a huge addition to the texturing (especially in the mouth) and sculpted some more. This time I’m following the images put (as inspiration) in Animaniac’s Dinosaur Competition. Here’s the render (you may notice I’ve deleted a few things, I will replace those later):

Looks nice for cartoon model

The texturing’s coming along nicely. What was your technique? Is there a tutorial on how you did it?

Thanks.

For the scales, I added a voronoi texture, made it really small and checked “normal”, setting it to something small, and also “color”, setting it to black. For the mouth I used a bump map scratch texture I got off the internet, which affected color, and then I added a faint black voronoi texture. If you’re using Cycles, sorry, I still use BI.

I’ve done more sculpting, especially on the legs, of which I am fairly happy. I’ve added thick scales to the nose, however these look a little weird at the moment…I’ve done a little more texturing and also changed the color of the eyes. It’s still far from finished, but coming along nicely, I think. =) As for thick scales, I’ve sculpted them in, however my computer has not yet been able to handle texture painting a spec map on them to make them look shiny, so, until then. :o

I really need to learn sculpting.

Good work so far.

Are you using Blender Internal sculpting or external program?

I have AutoDesk Mudbox but i don’t know how to use it.

Looks good, but seems more like a cartoon-type animal than a sort of photorealistic one. As mentioned in another thread, theropod’s necks are usually quite a bit thinner than that, even on carnotaurs (which were the ‘cheetahs’ of the dinosaur world). The animal would probably have been quite a bit less bulky than this - more ‘streamlined’, if you get what I mean. But it’s your model and your interpretation, so don’t let me stop you the way you’re going :wink:

Other than that, it looks pretty good - just keep building up the detail on the sculpting/texturing and you’ll end up with something excellent :wink:

Thanks! I’m using Blender’s sculpting tool. @Benjee, did you see the carnotaurus by Damir G. Martin on Animaniac’s Dinosaur Competition? It had a neck little thinner than the one on my model. I may shrink it down a bit, but I like it enough as is.

The neck on Damir G. Martin’s Carnotaur is thinner than yours horizontally and is quite a bit longer and more ‘slender’. This is more like the actual Carnotaurus would probably have looked like, as shown in his restoration:

The way you have it reminds me more of a bulldog, but that may be the look you’re going for :slight_smile:
But as I said, it’s your work, so do with it as you please. It looks like it’s coming along nicely! Just don’t forget to add muscle definition to your sculpt :wink:

@Benjee, I have thinned the neck a little bit, but I am going for a slightly bulldog-ish look. :wink: I resculpted the facial scales, and I’m starting to texture paint a spec map for the facial/plate scales. Man, it is tedious. =0

I’m trying to figure out how to put a texture on the unpleasantly shiny nose area. =(

This guy really needs teeth to chew up helpless animals. So I added some. =) I made the upper row, and I also fixed the overblown shininess on the nose, so, it’s coming along.

=D

Are you going for a cartoon look? If so, it’s not bad. This lacks true realism, however, for the dinosaur you’re creating.

I’m going for an almost realistic look, like I’ve lengthened the tail since my last post, and thinned the neck a little more, but I want it to be slightly stylized.

Little update here, I’ve almost finished painting in a texture for plate scales. The first time around I painted them way too big (you can still see some of that on the tail) and was scared to post it. :o But I’ve re-painted the front on the left side, and I’m fairly happy with the results. Your thoughts?

If you go for realistic you must consider that a realistic organic model got a intricated surface, with more bumps and creases here and there, legs are weird for me though, they are a bit flat over the femoral area and the nose is a bit short too.

Thanks megastor on the input, I thought his legs looked a little weird. =/ I will try to add some more wrinkles down his back, but about his nose, Carnotaurus had a very short nose, relative to other therapods.

Oh, no! This thread went off the front page!! We can’t have that!! =0 Lol maybe people would pay more attention to it if this guy was in action, so, I started to play with some poses and rigs. Conveniently I had most of an armature left over from my first attempt so all I had to do was re-assign some things. I also added the lower teeth. GLSL shading actually showed almost everything I needed in the viewport so hopefully things will start to pick up speed again.

The tendons I made around the ankles have been converted to thick lumps, I’m trying to figure out how to improve that. =(

this is a good start, and like others have said, if you’re going for a 'toon look, then you’re headed the right way. if you arent, well, you should focus on building the impression of muscles under the skin. i would also thin out his neck even more (mostly x and y axes) and work on shaping up his nose and mouth area. he’s a bit blocky still, but looking pretty good so far. hell of a lot better than i could do anyway.

Thanks swirly for the input. Since muscle and sculpting seem to be the things this guy needs most I gave the thighs a shot, and I think it was more or less a success.