Texture name flipped between original object and copy when duplicating.

I have noticed a weird behaviour in the dupplication process of an object with material and texture.

Textures names inverted between original object and copy when duplicating :

Just put in a scene a cube and add it a material and a texture name : Cube, Material, Tex.

Duplicate the cube : you get Cube.001 with Material and Tex.

Now, on Cube.001 :

• Click on the button showing “2” near the Material name, to make the material a Single User : you get Material.001.
  • Click on the button showing “2” near the Texture name, to make the texture a Single User : you get Tex.001

OK, so far, everything is normal.

Now, restart from scratch in a new file.

As you did previously, just put in a scene a cube and add it a material and a texture name : Cube, Material, Tex.

Duplicate the cube : you get Cube.001 with Material and Tex.

Now, with this Cube.001 selected, instead of using the buttons to make Material and Texture Single Users, Type u key and in the pop up menu named Make Single Users, click on Materials +Tex.

Now, look at the name of the material and texture applied to Cube.001 and Cube :

You will notice that the Textures names have been inverted between Cube and Cube.001. I mean that we have Cube, Material, Tex.001 and Cube.001, Material.001, Tex.

I also tried to Make Single Users on the original Cube instead of the copy, and I get the same inversion in textures names.

This is a big problem, because I am currently making a system requiring many copies of groups of objects, and the naming inside the groups is very important and has to be homogeneous, with all objects/Materials/Textures in a group with with same naming rule : all ending by .001 for example in group XXXX.001

I did the same test in Blender 2.49b for Winx64, and discovered that the problem was already present in 2.49b ! So it is not specific to 2.62.3rev45633 but is a very old hidden bug.

Imho, this behaviour is not normal ! There is no reason that would justify that the operation could have an effect on the texture name of a non selected object (the original Cube) when making Single Users on the copy.

Tested on Windows 64 bits version under Win 7x64 Pro, on Intel Quad X9650-3GHz. 8GB of RAM.

I would like to report a bug before the end of the 2.63 RC period, but as it happens frequently, I get a HTTP 500 internal error when trying to connect to the bugtracker…

I’ve tried it and found this to be true on ubuntu 64 blender 2.63 RC.
Never noticed before since i haven’t used this shortcut.
Edit: Reported it in the bug tracker.

Thank you very much for reporting ! What is the bug ref number ?

I have just tried to connect to the bug tracker, and again I can’t… HTTP 500 internal server error !

the Id is 31072, and Sergey fixed it allready!

Here’s his reply:

‘Fixed in svn rev45887. Thanks for the report, closing.’

Great ! rev45887 is not yet available on Graphicall. I’ll check as soon as available !

I hope that it is fixed in both shortcuts :

Objects & Data & Materials + Tex
and
Materials + Tex

Well done ! Tested in rev 45922 : it works fine.

Thank you Gnuren for reporting the bug and Thank you Sergey for the quick fix !

I am still trying to report the second bug (Driver broken in material animation when duplicating the object or imoprting from an other file).

I tested with various web browsers without succes : i can’t login to the bugtracker : HTTP 500 internal server error !!! That’s very anoying !