Sailing boat

Though I finished quite some models, I never posted any of them here. I thought I would give it a try and see what happens:

This is a model of a Schnicka. It was a small but fast sailing ship during the Hanseatic time in the North- and East-Sea of the 14th century. Its design allowed its use on high sea as well as in rivers.
The model is partially rigged. The sole part that is not are the tackles that follow the boom and the gaff.
The main focus is of course the boat, which I thought I want to present in a nice environment. The environment could be improved further starting with using an HDR image for the sky and lighting and ending with manning the steering wheel.
Never the less, I hope you like it.

I did another render with lowered sails. In this setting it really looks out of place: A boat with lowered sails and nobody on board in the middle of the sea:yes:

Nice boat, like the wood texture, and excellent ocean. Shouldn’t there be some opening to get in the cabin? Or is that in the front?

Not a bad model or render, but those sails would maybe get half a knot in 40 mph winds. And, I’v never heard of a schnicka before, and can’t seem to find reference to one.

You mean the sails are too small to properly propel the ship? You might be right. The ship is of German origin, where it is named “Schnigge”, I named it from the top of the head knowing it sounded something like “schnicka” in English, while in fact is is “Snaikka”. Here is the reference from the Patrician 3 wiki, which I did not found until now, and this page detailing also other ships in the game.

I did another model. This time it is a cog, a larger vessel. I tried to make the sail big enough this time. Please tell me that I succeeded.

Information on this ships type can be found at the same page as mentioned above.

the model of the cog is now available over at BlendSwap with a CC-BY-SA license.