Cut/Copy/Paste objects and elements

Advanced cut/copy/paste for objects and elements

This is a free addon for Blender 4.0 (3.6 and after), that provides an advanced copy/paste functionality for 3D objects and edit-mode elements.

Download: gum.co/paste
Documentation: link

Main features:

• Copy: saves the selection to a temporary file and stores metadata in the system’s text clipboard. Optionally can pack & store everything in text clipboard (e.g. to send over Internet / ensure no references to external files).
  • Paste: in Object mode, appends or links the copied objects into the active scene. In Edit mode, inserts the copied elements into the active object (will try to perform object type conversion where possible). The pasting options can be adjusted in the operator redo panel.
  • Cut: copies the selected objects or elements to the clipboard and immediately deletes them.

When registered, it will add the copy-pasting shortcuts to the keymaps. It will also add a “Copy/Paste” sub-menu to the 3D view’s “Object” menu (and its equivalents in edit modes), as well as to the object-mode context menu.

The earlier versions of the addon (in source code form) are still available for historical purposes, but won’t be maintained/supported:

5 Likes

Brilliant, I haven’t tried this but love the thinking behind it :wink:

Now the addon is able to cut/copy/paste mesh data. Due to implementation specifics, currently vertex groups and polygon textures would be ignored, and mesh data layers (bevel weight, uv, color, int/float/string, etc.) not present in the destination mesh won’t be created.
The mesh data can be pasted in Edit Mesh mode, Object mode (creates a new object), and Curve Edit mode (converts polygons and edges to cyclic/non-cyclic curves).
Pasting mesh to Curve can be used to make some interesting effects and structures :wink: Here’s Suzanne made of NURBS, Aligned Beziers and Auto Beziers:

1 Like

this is SUCH a useful addon. is this in trunk or addons conrtib/extern yet?

No, it’s not. Since the addon isn’t finished yet, I haven’t asked Blender developers to consider it for inclusion as a conrtib/extern one. And, apparently, it’s not as much useful as to gain a large user base :slight_smile:

1 Like

And, apparently, it’s not as much useful as to gain a large user base

Maybe, but it would make blender easier to use for beginners, more intuitive. And it makes linking much easier for the pros.

Awesome!!!

I have been waiting a very long time for this functionality. plus, you can copy from scene to scene is great.

Thank you so much for making this addon. Please continue developing it.

It needs to be in trunk. :slight_smile:

Wow, how does I could miss this thread !!! Sounds so promissing. What a low interest of a community here.
Thanks a lot, yesterday I will take a try.

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to say thanks because it helped me (a beginner) out a lot!

I like this script so much, I wanted to thank you again. :slight_smile:

Is there a way to copy an object and to paste it in another blend file in “original position”? I don´t get to work it that way. A button like CTRL + ALT + V would be nice for this function :slight_smile:

Wich Version do you use???

Thank you for your quick answer and your spent time for the plugin :smiley: It´s really helpful and now i got it to work the way I wanted it to work. I didn´t active the options in the second blendfile where i wanted to paste is, so the object was just inserted somewhere :slight_smile: But activating these options in both files works fine :slight_smile:

How have I never seen this thread? I’ve looked for something like this for ages o_0

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “c:\3d\blender\scripts\addons\space_view3d_cut_copy_paste.py”, line 786, in execute
self.write_mesh(obj, stream)
File “c:\3d\blender\scripts\addons\space_view3d_cut_copy_paste.py”, line 598, in write_mesh
serializer = serializers[seq_type + “.” + k]
KeyError: ‘edges.freestyle’

I am getting the above error on 2.67+ when copying vertices leading to complete failure of the plugin.

Thanks for the bug report :slight_smile: To fix this, I would need to update the script to the current API, but I’m afraid I would have to finish some other stuff before going to overhaul my outdated addons :confused:

key=seq_type+“.”+k
if(key in serializers):
serializer = serializers[key]

with ChunkWriter(stream, k):
        for layer_name in layers.keys():
            layer = layers[layer_name]

with ChunkWriter(stream, layer_name):
                for elem in seq:
                    serializer(elem[layer])

if seq_type == "faces":
        # bm.loops (BMLoopsSeq) are not iterable %)
        serialize_loops()
else:
    print(key+" does not exist")

This error is caused by the integration of Freestyle data into the BMesh API. In general, checking whether a property of the BMesh object has a serializer is probably a good idea for changes in the future as well.

Support for Freetype data copying/serialization would be nice as well. Personally I only have a few Freestyle edges so it’s not that big a deal for me but this plugin is very useful.

Well, I eventually got to fix the API inconsistencies and some other obscure bug. Sorry for taking so long :confused:
The python access to freestyle data still seems to be not implemented in Blender, so right now the addon will just ignore freestyle layers during serialization/deserialization.

I download the new version 0.6.4 on blender wiki, but when i try to install this zip files, nothing happen, please show me how to get this work ??

Thanks for informing me, this seemed to be a bug with the script that makes the zip archives. I fixed it and re-uploaded the archives.