Different Animations... bit by bit

This is a test for adapting budy to blender and using a broom that I just rigged too.

I know that the right knee is snapping a bit, I will correct that asap. But other than that, c&c are welcomed!

Mathias.

Nice start. What I notice is the broom leading the action. I know you probably animated it that way, with the hands constrained to the broom, but the viewer shouldn’t be able to tell.
I guess the remedy is some more anticipation in the arms leading into the sweep. Try to convey the muscles tensing before the broom starts to move. It could also do with a little more overshoot afterwards.

I’m nitpicking here, but that’s only because I think you’ve already done a good job.

I like it. The motion is nice and fluid.

Regarding freen’s comment, to me it looks like the lower hand is pushing the broom and the upper hand is serving as a pivot point. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, since I’ve seen people sweep like that. Maybe a little more lateral movement of the upper hand, especially near the beginning, would solve what freen was talking about.

ETA: Nice job on animating the bristles of the broom.

Steve S

hey guys!

thanks for the comments!

@freen, in fact the broom is constraint to the hands and not the other way around, so I take it as a compliment the fact that you thought it was the broom leading the action! :stuck_out_tongue: but to follow your advice, I tried in this second video to add a bit more of power with the right shoulder and also as you said and Steve S agreed, to add a bit more translation with the top hand.

thanks again for the comment!

@Steve S,
thank you very much for your comment!

Regarding freen’s comment, to me it looks like the lower hand is pushing the broom and the upper hand is serving as a pivot point. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, since I’ve seen people sweep like that.

It’s true, I took me as a reference and that’s the way I sweep! lol. And yes, I think you were both true about adding more translation to the top hand.

btw, both rigs (budy and the broom) are available for free on animation lounge.

Mathias.

I think you’ve nailed it.

Steve S

thank you steve.

there is a bounce that I added to fake the resistance of the broom but in fact it disturbs the animation… I think I will remove it.

Mathias.

Edit: I think this one is better.

Nice work. Looks much better.

nice work! so cute~

Hey there! Nice to see such fine, fluid motion. Maybe he could sweep in different directions, just to break up the motion a bit. Looking forward to further stuff!

thank you freen, marchlee, and juhada.

@ juhada, this is just a cycle as you noticed, to get a good timing to be able to add to this animation… however I have other projects that I want to do before advancing this one. But I definitely wanted to add more movements. :wink:

Mathias.

Here is a little project I’m working on… And to test this little rig, I created this video!

Also for better quality, here is the quicktime:

the Hand!

C&C are welcome.

Good work mathiasA, but floor was clean.

Very nice hand motion. It felt very much like a ragdoll (?) where it’s acting like a spring in response to forces. I was impressed.

lol

yeah, this looks good though. i’d like to see him do more - like break into song and use the broom as a baton!! yeah??? …no?

more good stuff, thanks for sharing

thank you guys for the comments.

here is another animation I’m going to do with this hand, and I’m hoping to turn it into a tutorial.

So here is the preparation, with animated thumbnails done with grease pencil

C&C welcome!

Mathias :slight_smile:

Cool! I like it. The idea itself is cool; doing an acting shot with a hand and a box.
Your planning shows a lot of character. Good stuff!

Awesome Mathias!

Some sound workflow will help a lot of us, thanks for the sharing.

By the way, did you draw these thumbnails in a separate programs? Because those brush-strokes (HINT: bleeding) is very unfamiliar to that of Blender’s Grease Pencil. :eek:

Thanks freen and Exzema, your comments are really encouraging!

it’s not something easy to plan everything with thumbnail like that, I had to fight with myself not to skip some steps but it really made me think a lot about the animation itself and I hope it’s going to help me for the animation afterward!

By the way, did you draw these thumbnails in a separate programs? Because those brush-strokes (HINT: bleeding) is very unfamiliar to that of Blender’s Grease Pencil.

Yes, it’s done in blender with grease pencil, using a tablet of course. But I was also surprised when I rendered it using the “openGL render active viewport”, it looked really different, the lines in the render had more thickness then in my viewport which may be why it looks unfamiliar!

thank you again.
Mathias.

here is the blocking step, the timing is I think a bit to fast for the jumps, but I will update that when I will play with the curve.

I also think that some of my pose could be stronger.

as always, C&C are welcome!

Mathias.