BGE DEV: The long awaited 'Character' physics type is now in trunk

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2012-May/046323.html

In other words, this should put a stop to a lot of problems people have when creating their first game which is how to get the player to stop sliding and bouncing off walls.

For veterans, this would allow one to remove a decent amount of extra logic designed to prevent those problems. The patch also comes with automatic step climbing as well as a jump speed value that isn’t used yet. (though there’s currently a possible issue with it that may only be fixable by upgrading the Bullet engine)

On top of that, it’s good to see Ben2610 having more time to work on the BGE and review patches due to his involvement with one of the GSoC projects. It seems more and more that those fearing the BGE will be forgotten can put those fears to rest. :slight_smile:

Yay! I’ve been waiting for something like this for quite some time.

I read correctly?, …Built-In Climbing!, wo0o0o0o0o0T!

very cool!

Yeah, great to hear. Waiting for a GraphicAll build to test it out…

well! :eyebrowlift: when is possible download?

Sweet Jebus!

Anyone know when we will be able to download a new build and test it out? O.o

When someone builds a new version from Trunk off of Graphicall, or when the Blender Build-bot makes a new build.

hmmm… I’ll wait for the human to put it in trunk… I don’t trust those Build-bots one bit :no:

Ok… that sounds cool. I have just downloaded a new build and the character physics type is in.
Does anyone has tested it already? Normal physics seem not to work on that physic type. At least the object does not fall down like the rigid or dynamic physics type.

Yeah, I just tested it, and it looks to be, well, broken. I think it’s not adhering to the physics timestep info - upping the Physics substep amount changes how quickly the object falls, which is wrong; it should change how the object resolves collisions. It should fall at the same rate, as is my understanding. The object also falls in ‘steps’, no matter how high you set the maximum fall speed.

EDIT: Submitted bug to tracker.

Yes, this is a known bug.

You can see in the patch tracker the analysis that i did about the controller. (Also, several examples to try it)
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=127&aid=28476&group_id=9

Crashes:

• If in the “character” object you select “triangle mesh” as collision bounds you will have a segfault
  • If in the “character” object you active “compound” at collision bounds you will have a segfault

Behaviour:

• If you put the “step height” higher than half the height of the character object, the character object may pass through the floor. This seems to be an issue in bullet.
  • The step climbing depends (in order of importance):
    — The velocity of character object (i have attached a blend showing it)
    — The margin of collision bounds
    — The step height parameter
    — If it exists a slope before the step (there is a different behaviour if you put the slope in a separate object)
  • The fall speed depends (in order of importance):
    — the step height (more step height more fall speed)
    — Fall speed parameter (not very representative)
    character_demo_new.blend (336 KB)
    character_demo.blend (408 KB)

Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to install the patch, please? I downloaded it already. Or maybe this is build-in in one of the latest Builds? But I can’t seem to find 47140, which is mentioned in the blog.

Edit: Oops. I could find it in the latest build on BuildBot: blender-2.63-r47152-win32.zip

Quite good! Can’t wait to try it.

In future releases will it be possible to use force and linear velocity, or servo control also? I like the “step” feature, if it works correctly of course (if it doesn’t depend on velocity). But I don’t like the “Jump” motion generated with the Simple Motion Actuator. When using it the player, whether it’s Rigid, Dynamic or Character, “shoots” in the air and aprubtly stops. So I would prefer using linear velocity or force for that.

This is certainly a step in the right direction…sorry, could not resist the pun!

But this is great news! Thanks to all those involved bringing it to Blender, and thanks to Ace Dragon for making us aware of it.

Hmm. There are few things I sure like about this. It can only get better from here so will keep an eye on this! :slight_smile:

I’ve tested it out, and needless to say I’m a little confused;

Step height appears to work inversely - a smaller step height allows greater steps
The Fall Speed parameter seems irrelevant.
The Jump Speed parameter seems even more so.